• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

andycapps

Man, I must say: when things are being coordinated and acted upon, nothing comes close to Siege. It's exhilarating, tense, and extremely fun. No other current MP shooter comes close in my opinion.

Glad I picked it up.

Agreed.

Smash88 said:
I'm on the fence about getting this game on Steam. Can anyone sell me on it, what's the one thing I should watch/see. Like I know it's a multiplayer 5v5, but does it have legs? I got burnt real bad by Evolve, is this the same case here?

I got burnt on that too, but I don't feel like this is going to be the same way. Evolve's main problem was segmenting all the content, being too slow to fix glitches, etc. I'm happy with this that everyone will have access to every character and map. As long as they keep patching it, I think this will remain a competitive shooter for a couple years.

I'm on the fence about getting this game on Steam. Can anyone sell me on it, what's the one thing I should watch/see. Like I know it's a multiplayer 5v5, but does it have legs? I got burnt real bad by Evolve, is this the same case here?

I was in the camp of "no way am I buying this game until it's less than $30.00". MP only? Ubisoft? Bad beta? Launch impressions here were iffy? No substantial SP content?

Now comes about a week ago. Game is now $40.00. All the impressions on here? Through the roof. Watching it on twitch? Extremely intense. Free DLC content that matters? Okay. DLC that costs $ you can buy with in game currency you earn? I'm listening. Skill based shooter and very well done ranking system? All my friends are playing it, but I'm not?!

Woah woah. What? When did that happen? I looked at my buddy list and the vast majority was playing this...

It was a no brainer at that point. I've paid for worse games and been burnt. (Brink)

The result? I am in LOVE with this game. So much done so right in a market of just crap shooter after crap shooter. Praise be to Ubi.

9/10. Highly recommended. You do need friends to play with or else you will be a sad person.

Miker

Anybody else still seeing Fairfight messages as "someone was removed from the match by Fairfight"? I thought it was supposed to have been changed in yesterday's patch.

Miker

That's intentional. If someone is banned, it's posted globally.

I know. I'm referring to this in the patch notes:

"Fairfight cheating kick message updated to make it clearer

When a player is banned, an unclear message was broadcasted to all players playing in public matchmaking ‘[PLAYER] has removed from the match by FairFight™.’ From now on, the message ‘[PLAYER] has been banned from the game by FairFight™.’ will be broadcasted instead."

andycapps

I don't know if anybody was around during the Killzone 2 times and was a part of those amazing GAF games, but to me, this feels like that. I'm too busy with family and work stuff that I miss out on a lot of games, so I'm sure there have been more.. But I think this one is going to have legs. I think people will try out new games and keep coming back to this one.

Valkrai

I know. I'm referring to this in the patch notes:

"Fairfight cheating kick message updated to make it clearer

When a player is banned, an unclear message was broadcasted to all players playing in public matchmaking ‘[PLAYER] has removed from the match by FairFight™.’ From now on, the message ‘[PLAYER] has been banned from the game by FairFight™.’ will be broadcasted instead."

Oh yeah, I still saw removed by Fairfight instead of the new text.

KodaRuss

This patch has fixed all the major issues I was having since 2.0. If no major glitches are found I think it might be in it's best state right now. Hit detection feels amazing now and really highlights how broken it was in 2.0. I actually think that people who aim at the head were at a significant disadvantage in 2.0 now, you were better off just spraying at the body for more chances to hit rather than be precise. My first night in the new patch and I've been doing so much better since my style is always to go for headshots and now they actually register.

Yacht with the glitches fixed is awesome too.

Awesome, great to hear. I rarely get pissed when I would die in this game but the new hit detection problems were ruining me spirits a lot. How many times I would die when there was no way I didnt hit them in the head was so frustrating.

Animator

Awesome, great to hear. I rarely get pissed when I would die in this game but the new hit detection problems were ruining me spirits a lot. How many times I would die when there was no way I didnt hit them in the head was so frustrating.

Yea it is night and day now. Pretty sure my kd went up like a whole point yesterday since headshots started registering.

Finally got 100 protect hostage games. Now i just have to make up for the losses for the camper trophy

...then i need 1000 more kills for platinum.

I average like 20 a game. Ugh.

Stat!

Rainbow Six has one of the best and worst communities I've ever seen.

1 Guy left in Thunt, we are 3 of us. He team kills us both then leaves. Too many times Ive joined a THunt game and been killed by my own team. Its why I can't join random casual games.

The GAF community is great but the online community is awful.

EDIT: Just happened again where I get booted cause a guy killed one of our teammates and then started shooting me so I killed him.

Anyone got good recs for beginner operators?

My go-to attack is Ash
Defender is Rook

Sledge
Rook.

Sledge is great because his ability alone encourages exploring around and getting a better understanding of what is breach-able, where in a map. Because not every wall/floor is able to be breached but his hammer has multiple utilities. It can knock any door/window that isn't reinforced down, he can destroy barbed wire in a single shot, it's substantially more quiet to use his hammer to breach than pretty much any other option and his hammer makes a great weapon for sacrifice on a downed enemy, boosting team morale and lowering your enemies. Sledge imo, specializes in flanking the enemy quietly. Best utilized right as the primary team attacks an objective. A good tip for brand new player is to play T-Hunt on Medium/Hard with Sledge and play a few rounds on each map to learn the maps.

Rook is great because he has a ton of health and the MP5 is a great weapon and his ability can help every single person on the team without him having to do anything other than lay it down. Rook is the defender I hate fighting against the most, as when he's played by a good player, he's an incredible pain in the ass and distraction AND I know the rest of his team probably has extra armor too.

Sledge
Rook.

Sledge is great because his ability alone encourages exploring around and getting a better understanding of what is breach-able, where in a map. Because not every wall/floor is able to be breached but his hammer has multiple utilities. It can knock any door/window that isn't reinforced down, he can destroy barbed wire in a single shot, it's substantially more quiet to use his hammer to breach than pretty much any other option and his hammer makes a great weapon for sacrifice on a downed enemy, boosting team morale and lowering your enemies. Sledge imo, specializes in flanking the enemy quietly. Best utilized right as the primary team attacks an objective. A good tip for brand new player is to play T-Hunt on Medium/Hard with Sledge and play a few rounds on each map to learn the maps.

Rook is great because he has a ton of health and the MP5 is a great weapon and his ability can help every single person on the team without him having to do anything other than lay it down. Rook is the defender I hate fighting against the most, as when he's played by a good player, he's an incredible pain in the ass and distraction AND I know the rest of his team probably has extra armor too.

Attack: sledge, thatcher

Defense: rook, mute

Thanks!

What's the consensus on Doc? I like playing support like characters, but his range revive doesn't really seem all too handy. Very rarely have I been in a situation where the revive would have saved us.

Valkrai

Thanks!

What's the consensus on Doc? I like playing support like characters, but his range revive doesn't really seem all too handy. Very rarely have I been in a situation where the revive would have saved us.

Personally, the team I play with uses both Doc and Rook. His revive is really handy to use plus if you're down on health, he can shoot you in the foot and bring you back to 75 hp.

Outside of that, he's a good operator to play site with.

Personally, the team I play with uses both Doc and Rook. His revive is really handy to use plus if you're down on health, he can shoot you in the foot and bring you back to 75 hp.

Outside of that, he's a good operator to play site with.

Oh, didn't know he could heal too. Interesting....

Valkrai

Oh, didn't know he could heal too. Interesting....

That only works if you down someone with a pistol in the foot. Also note that the player will need to be under 10 hp. Normally, if you revive normally it brings them to 50 but Doc's stim pistol brings 75 especially for 2 to 3 armor is very helpful compared to a 1 armor.

Just picked this up on a whim tonight. I am gettin my ass handed to me! Need to learn the maps and how to better coordinate with my teammates...

Thanks!

I think he's a good operator, but that's largely due to his weapon and armour tier. He's hard to take down and can snag headshots easily with high accuracy, high rate of fire, MP5.

His ability is good but your somewhat contingent on having a rook on your team, else you will find that players go into the down but not out state much less. So if you are playing Doc then you should always be Rook first then Doc second, as overall Rook is much more influential on match outcome, and their relationship is only unidirectional. By that I mean, Doc requires Rook to be present to be effective, yet Rook does not require Doc.

Doc also becomes less useful at higher levels of play where headshots become more frequent, and therefore, revives less possible. Down but not out states are still common occurrences when hit by grenades and such though, so it can be worthwhile from that perspective.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just picked this up on a whim tonight. I am gettin my ass handed to me! Need to learn the maps and how to better coordinate with my teammates...

Best advice I can give is to take it slow, use your drones, and use a headset to listen to your surroundings.

The game is very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Best advice I can give is to take it slow, use your drones, and use a headset to listen to your surroundings.

The game is very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I have the time (and the patience) to dedicate. Using a headset is definitely important for this game! The sound design is really great.

Not gonna lie that kid who I played online with hushed and andycapp was hilarious

"I just dropped oreo in my milk"

HAHAHA

Jesus that kid was hilarious and off putting. I still swear I had nothing to do with him. Despite all odds, he'll surely find a way into another game of ours though.

Oreo Kid 2: Reckoning

played with good headphones for the first time. normally playing through the tv speakers. Managed to go 1v4 and win just on sound alone.

holy fuck. the sound is amazing

Disconnection errors when playing ranked are the worst. We had two team quitters on café and we actually brought it back in overtime but during the round we were about to win to make it 4-4 the game just implodes and we all get kicked out. Still, having a blast.

played with good headphones for the first time. normally playing through the tv speakers. Managed to go 1v4 and win just on sound alone.

holy fuck. the sound is amazing

I just recorded a clip of me prone, waiting alone, as gunfights broke out around me.

I hope it sounds as good as it did in my headphones.

There is something seriously wrong with the ranking system of this game. I've been stuck on silver 3 for weeks. I've been playing with my friend who ranks up regularly and normally. In fact, he ranks up so regularly that we got him to diamond. The guy was, like me, playing against golds (because that's who we get matched with) and I'm literally always the best player on the team, both in points and in k/d, but it took me like 3 whole weeks of winning games to get to silver 4 last night. At this rate I'll be diamond by the time all the dlc operators are out.
Not that I don't want to play it for that long, this game is still fantastic. I'm really having so much fun. I'm still gonna play it and enjoy playing it even though someone cursed my rank. Probably my favourite fps ever.

BIGWORM

Digging Rook with the P90 loadout. Falling in love with this game's intensity. I can hear my heart beat through my headphone when it's me against 3 or 4.

Found a fun/annoying strategy on Plane when playing as Frost today. Break down the door in the prep stage to the outside stairs where attackers are likely to come up. You can't go outside until the round officially starts but once it does, run out quickly and put a trap at the top of the stairs and re-barricade the door. Catches people off guard before they enter the plane.

Klyka

Banned
Found a fun/annoying strategy on Plane when playing as Frost today. Break down the door in the prep stage to the outside stairs where attackers are likely to come up. You can't go outside until the round officially starts but once it does, run out quickly and put a trap at the top of the stairs and re-barricade the door. Catches people off guard before they enter the plane.

That's beautiful

Drewfonse

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I have the time (and the patience) to dedicate. Using a headset is definitely important for this game! The sound design is really great.

I'm not a good example, but I exclusively play solo with randoms, no mic, and I'm still head over heels with this game. Rank 68 and loving it.

Drewfonse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R46bdzLNrfM

i really enjoy hanging upsidedown and getting kills. I feel like a badass lol.

Holy shit, me too. My favorite thing in this game. And one of the few things that I'm really good at, hahaha.

I saved a 1v3 yesterday where I absolutely terrorized the 3 players using the upside down rappel. Over the course of 3 mins, I methodically picked off two of them and then the last one jumped out of the window to his death with 5 secs left. I'd like to think that he did so because of sheer, unadulterated panic, lol.

That's beautiful

But if they were actually going up that stairway, you could have delayed the pop on the door, listened for the audio (at least one of them will run when they spawn) and then just shot them if you hear them approaching.

I got a quad headshot spray on that stairwell the other night.

Klyka

Banned
But if they were actually going up that stairway, you could have delayed the pop on the door, listened for the audio (at least one of them will run when they spawn) and then just shot them if you hear them approaching.

I got a quad headshot spray on that stairwell the other night.

the trap is more satisfying

the trap sound is the most satisfying thing in the entire game

TCHNKTHUD

Sectus

The balcony on bank which overlooks the back alley spawn, would you people consider going there as a defender to shoot people as spawn killing? I killed someone standing still droning as their first thing (I assume they didn't move), so it looks you actually see their literal spawn position once you're on the balcony. On the other hand, it takes a few seconds to move onto the balcony. That's not a lot of time, but it is enough time to move into cover or start aiming at the balcony.

I wish I could experience the situation from the side of the attackers to figure out how easy it is to defend against that kind of attack.

the trap is more satisfying

the trap sound is the most satisfying thing in the entire game

TCHNKTHUD

They'd have to be stupid to let it happen though. Literally... if one of you heads outside the plane on a certain approach and they get the 'enemy outside alert', they'd have to be really silly to approach that side, or at least not to approach it cautiously.

Most good teams seem to use the top of the plane as their entry way now, or at the very least, the windowless side. In turn, a trap placed under the hatch at the top of the plane can be quite effective, and at the very least provides you with an 'alarm system'.

The balcony on bank which overlooks the back alley spawn, would you people consider going there as a defender to shoot people as spawn killing? I killed someone standing still droning as their first thing (I assume they didn't move), so it looks you actually see their literal spawn position once you're on the balcony. On the other hand, it takes a few seconds to move onto the balcony. That's not a lot of time, but it is enough time to move into cover or start aiming at the balcony.

I wish I could experience the situation from the side of the attackers to figure out how easy it is to defend against that kind of attack.

Yeah you can see them if you run out. You can do that on most maps in the game though, if you're willing to run out to a particular side, you can see them as they spawn, but obviously there's a degree of risk involved. I haven't done it on bank in that way mind you. I usually wait to get them on the cameras then hit them at the doorways below, but I may try it.

If you have a coordinated team that has one guy on cameras and 2-3 other players covering each spawn, you have a very effective alarm system for their approach, and you can certainly cause them some trouble. I don't think it's unfair, but it does play on peoples sense of security when they are outside. Something that good players won't have, always checking outdoor windows and waiting to hear them opened up, etc.

Jesus that kid was hilarious and off putting. I still swear I had nothing to do with him. Despite all odds, he'll surely find a way into another game of ours though.

Oreo Kid 2: Reckoning

my mate just sent me this...
o7IJqyE.jpg

Top Bottom