• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

I get it. You guys are clearly amazing at this game.������

But he was looking at kill/assist ratios.

I know, but I was looking at other things, am I not allowed to look at and discuss other statistics too?

I find all of the stats interesting. Like I found it interesting looking at Mike's headshots ratio. Especially because when I have played with him, I had already noted that he seems to headshot a remarkable amount of people.

Personally I'm always more interested in the stats that reflect performance in some way, like I'm not interested in kills to assist ratio unless it's also contextualised by matches played, as otherwise it's feels like a pretty meaningless statistic.

Drewfonse

I know, but I was looking at other things, am I not allowed to look at and discuss other statistics too?

I find all of the stats interesting. Like I found it interesting looking at Mike's headshots ratio. Especially because when I have played with him, I had already noted that he seems to headshot a remarkable amount of people.

Personally I'm always more interested in the stats that reflect performance in some way, like I'm not interested in kills to assist ratio unless it's also contextualised by matches played, because then it's feels like a pretty meaningless statistic.

No, no, of course. Looking at stats is really interesting. A little humbling for me, but interesting. My accuracy needs to improve. I get a good ratio of headshots, but my overall accuracy is only 18%. My k/d has gone from a .6 early on to a .9 now, so I'm doing better.

No, no, of course. Looking at stats is really interesting. A little humbling for me, but interesting. My accuracy needs to improve. I get a good ratio of headshots, but my overall accuracy is only 18%. My k/d has gone from a .6 early on to a .9 now, so I'm doing better.

Don't look at accuracy too much, since most of the bullet missed come from spraying at drones lol

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
446 kills / 680 deaths / 228 assists for kdr of 0.69 (aw yiss)

lol i am garbage compared to some of you

same. having some really frustrating fun
Not to take anything away from anyone else, but the rovers usually have a nicer k/d than more dedicated defenders. Rovers are just as important to defense, but defender-defenders get somewhat of a raw deal in any stat column not labelled "wins".

Rovers have more kill opportunities, and importantly they're often surprise-kill opportunities. Attackers are ready for and expecting us PTFO defenders. And we usually take the full brunt of their gadgetry.

Rovers mop up available kills before anyone else has a contact. More on this later, it has a long-term impact.

If rovers die early, without taking anyone out, they stack the odds against defensive backs. If rovers take off and never communicate, this makes it harder on the DBs. The more who bail, the more area we're responsible for, and this can stretch us pretty thin. Although it's only ever very bad on bomb with the split objective.

Rovers (too) worried about self preservation won't fall back to the objective when informed we're being overwhelmed. They take too long. This hurts DBs. By the time they get back we're dead, but we killed or injured a few.

Lack of easy kills and just the attrition of stacked odds (when rovers die early) I think leads to muted stats for people who are primarily DBs. I can say that my k/d is much better as a rover, but I usually play DB anyway. And of course there are godly players with platinum k/ds who are DBs. And obviously attacking is level ground so you cant hide from your stats for at least half the game. I'm just saying, food for thought... rovers have the easier job.

lol

Not to take anything away from anyone else, but the rovers usually have a nicer k/d than more dedicated defenders. Rovers are just as important to defense, but defender-defenders get somewhat of a raw deal in any stat column not labelled "wins".

Rovers have more kill opportunities, and importantly they're often surprise-kill opportunities. Attackers are ready for and expecting us PTFO defenders. And we usually take the full brunt of their gadgetry.

Rovers mop up available kills before anyone else has a contact. More on this later, it has a long-term impact.

If rovers die early, without taking anyone out, they stack the odds against defensive backs. If rovers take off and never communicate, this makes it harder on the DBs. The more who bail, the more area we're responsible for, and this can stretch us pretty thin. Although it's only ever very bad on bomb with the split objective.

Rovers (too) worried about self preservation won't fall back to the objective when informed we're being overwhelmed. They take too long. This hurts DBs. By the time they get back we're dead, but we killed or injured a few.

Lack of easy kills and just the attrition of stacked odds (when rovers die early) I think leads to muted stats for people who are primarily DBs. I can say that my k/d is much better as a rover, but I usually play DB anyway. And of course there are godly players with platinum k/ds who are DBs. And obviously attacking is level ground so you cant hide from your stats for at least half the game. I'm just saying, food for thought... rovers have the easier job.

lol

I've heard people say that before, but my stats are worse on characters with which I roam. Check my profile, maybe I am a trash roamer but my stats with Jager and Bandit are lower than my average at 2.6. My win loss ratio is also at its lowest with Jager, Bandit and Pulse.

Now on characters with which I roam less, my stats increase dramatically. My KDR with Tchanka, Kapkan and Castle are 3.4, 3.4 and 3.7 respectively. I don't roam with those characters unless playing House, because the maps are too large to get across quickly with level 1 mobility.

To add to this, my stats from attack match my stats from defense... I can see your perspective if the only person a guy plays is pulse and pulse is by far his highest performing character, but most decent players I have met are able to switch between roamng, defending, attacking, without much variation in their performance.

I also think that the dissociation between roamer and non-roamer is a little simplified. On a good team, everyone should be adaptive. If I'm playing Kapkan I might leave the objective area for a little while, I might sit on cameras upstairs, or I might pop a window open in the hopes of snagging someone or at a minimum wasting their time, but more often than not I will quickly fall back onto the objective, and it's not like I suddenly get terrible at the game when I get there.

Also, why are you calling roamers, rovers? Is there something I've missed?

Evolved1

My background I guess. You don't "roam" on patrol, that sounds aimless and uncoordinated. We've always referred to them as roving patrol. From working security as a young guy, and now as a ranger, as well as the officers of other departments... the jargon is roving.

Roaming... I thought that was a cultural thing when you say it, idk... something you guys say, like "torch" or "windscreen" or whatever. lol

Btw... you didn't address any of my actual points. Just responded broadly, anecdotally. Which is fine, just thought I'd mention it though.

My stats are ass, but I win a lot. I'm great at communicating and my headset helps people know where to prepare for them. Always marking, etc.

Best game I had was like 13 kills and 2 deaths on ranked. Feels good man.

Granted I've only had the game for a few days so I have plenty to learn and tighten up on.

My background I guess. You don't "roam" on patrol, that sounds aimless and uncoordinated. We've always referred to them as roving patrol. From working security as a young guy, and now as a ranger, as well as the officers of other departments... the jargon is roving.

Roaming... I thought that was a cultural thing when you say it, idk... something you guys say, like "torch" or "windscreen" or whatever. lol

Haha fair enough.

I like roaming, although I will admit it's a comically nonchalant manner of describing the activity. 'I was just roaming about, when I killed five blokes at the door' :p

It's not a cultural thing though, seems like all the youtubers etc. call it roaming too, but by all means use what makes sense to you.

Btw... you didn't address any of my actual points. Just responded broadly, anecdotally. Which is fine, just thought I'd mention it though.

Well, I was trying to address them with my personal experiences, saying that for me, it doesn't work that way. My stats are higher on attack and non-roamers, so for me, my stats aren't inflated by roaming as you suggest. In fact, my stats are dragged down by roaming. But I do it anyway because it's fun. Killing five people in the first 10 seconds of the match, I love it. More than anything on the game. I love making someone ragequit the match, I guess that makes me cruel, I don't know, but it's satisfying.

Less anecdotal though, what I meant is that I feel that when roaming the risk is greater than the reward for roaming, as reflected by my stats on those characters. I don't disagree with your points on how roaming doesn't help in many cases (that's why win/loss ratio on dedicated roamers like Jager is actually lower too), but I think you seem to believe that roaming is easier than it is. Roamers do have more kill opportunities, but they also have more opportunities to be killed. Roamers should end up with higher killcounts, but not necessarily higher kill to death ratios.

Also you don't have to be a roamer to do the right thing to kill the enemy team. If you're pinned in from the windows on library and you know the left side window is clear, doing things like jumping onto the window and killing everyone sat on the ledge doesn't suddenly make you a roamer, that's what I mean, you can still get many of those 'surprise' scenarios on defense... obviously yes, if you're completely static then you won't do well on defense, but I don't think your helping your team all that much by doing so either.

Still, it's impossible to not respond anecdotaly here because all you and I have are our own experiences. Your initial post itself is anecdotal. I tried to use my stats as a demonstration to make my perspective less so, but it's still just one perspective all the same. I also managed to accidentally close chrome and I did have a larger post written up on the original one at first, but it disappeared. :D

Oh, I also find it funny that you seem to post in most of the OTs that I do. I guess we like the same games! I only keep up with 5 and the only 2 you are missing from of those are Digimon and Street Fighter :p

Evolved1

Well, I was trying to address them with my personal experiences, saying that for me, it doesn't work that way. My stats are higher on attack and non-roamers, so for me, my stats aren't inflated by roaming as you suggest. In fact, my stats are dragged down by roaming. But I do it anyway because it's fun. Killing five people in the first 10 seconds of the match, I love it. More than anything on the game. I love making someone ragequit the match, I guess that makes me cruel, I don't know, but it's satisfying.

Less anecdotal though, what I meant is that I feel that when roaming the risk is greater than the reward for roaming, as reflected by my stats on those characters. I don't disagree with your points on how roaming doesn't help in many cases (that's why win/loss ratio on dedicated roamers like Jager is actually lower too), but I think you seem to believe that roaming is easier than it is. Roamers do have more kill opportunities, but they also have more opportunities to be killed. Roamers should end up with higher killcounts, but not necessarily higher kill to death ratios.

Also you don't have to be a roamer to do the right thing to kill the enemy team. If you're pinned in from the windows on library and you know the left side window is clear, doing things like jumping onto the window and killing everyone sat on the ledge doesn't suddenly make you a roamer, that's what I mean, you can still get many of those 'surprise' scenarios on defense... obviously yes, if you're completely static then you won't do well on defense, but I don't think your helping your team all that much by doing so either.

Still, it's impossible to not respond anecdotaly here because all you and I have are our own experiences. Your initial post itself is anecdotal. I tried to use my stats as a demonstration to make my perspective less so, but it's still just one perspective all the same. I also managed to accidentally close chrome and I did have a larger post written up on the original one at first, but it disappeared. :D

Oh, I also find it funny that you seem to post in most of the OTs that I do. I guess we like the same games! I only keep up with 5 and the only 2 you are missing from of those are Digimon and Street Fighter :p
I almost bought digimon!

As for proper reply, later... on a ps4 atm. Typing is a pain.

anyone else encountering a lot more jerkoffs in the (pc) community over the last few weeks? had three separate matches this wknd where guys were calling members of their own team faggots :|

anecdotal and all but i wonder if the game's rising popularity is starting to bring the assholes

lol

yeah i agree. I generally stay back and make sure everything around the objective(s) is secure.

although part of my shitty stats is due to this being my first shooter on consoles since Bad Company 2 lol so i've had quite the adjustment period.

anyone else encountering a lot more jerkoffs in the (pc) community over the last few weeks? had three separate matches this wknd where guys were calling members of their own team faggots :|

anecdotal and all but i wonder if the game's rising popularity is starting to bring the assholes

Probably. At the very least, you didn't get some dumbass calling you a faggot for the tone of your voice in the very first game you played. Thankfully, I didn't let that color my experience.

Animator

The more people play the more assholes will join. Hopefully they will give us the option to turn off text chat soon which will solve all those problems.

Rocketz

Lots of team killing today at the start of the round of Xbox. Thankfully it missed me and was the other team. Had a match yesterday where one guy on our team hunted us all down and killed us then quit out.

Lots of team killing today at the start of the round of Xbox. Thankfully it missed me and was the other team. Had a match yesterday where one guy on our team hunted us all down and killed us then quit out.

Could have a 9V1 mode, where the hunter with Black Jesus skin runs around the map hunting the rest of the players, with no footstep sounds (since Jesus floats)

Pretty much like the slasher mode in gta.

Klyka

Banned
Can someone tell me real quick: If you buy that ice skin for a weapon for rainbow credits, it only applies to the weapon you bought it for,correct? So if I wanted it for all my weapons, I would have to spend a ton of money on it,right?

Valkrai

Can someone tell me real quick: If you buy that ice skin for a weapon for rainbow credits, it only applies to the weapon you bought it for,correct? So if I wanted it for all my weapons, I would have to spend a ton of money on it,right?

Yes

Got a 5 kill round on Saturday. Felt good. I outplayed them while stuck in a room with grenades flying in and even got flashed once. I'll have to put the video on youtube or something it was pretty good.

Ranked matchmaking needs to get fixed

5 silvers vs 4 gold and a platinum

I assume that it attributes their ranks into your rank gain / loss though. So if you lose to golds and platinums while being silver, you won't lose many points on the rankings.

The ranking system must have a numeric system that underpins the icons, so if you lose to an equal team, maybe you lose 50 points, lose to a higher ranked team, maybe you lose 10 but would gain 60 if you won. That makes it worthwhile, because if you do beat them you gain such a large amount.

That's how these ranking systems usually work, however it's just a shame that Siege's system isn't transparent.

Oh man, I completely missed this discussion on reddit from a few months back.

For the new US CTu operator, it looks like he has a personal ballistic shield that is gun-mounted. Gallery here.

hahyBcA.jpg

Md0VrRw.jpg

EGvl3Oo.png

EDIT: Unrelated, but Ubi was supposed to put the Original skin packs (one per CTU) on sale for renown this weekend, but retracted it. However, they did say they still plan on doing this, so maybe there was a technical issue.

Stat!

Does the red laser add accuracy from an in-game calculation standpoint (as in the game adds like 30% chance of hitting from hip fire) or does it only help the user only?

Klyka

Banned
Does the red laser add accuracy from an in-game calculation standpoint (as in the game adds like 30% chance of hitting from hip fire) or does it only help the user only?

in-game calculation.

i actually reduces the size of your hipfire crosshair and decreases the spread of bullets.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Here's my hot laser sights tip: Don't use them. They do practically nothing (should be ADS'ing) and will give away your position more often than not. I've killed plenty of fools because I saw their dumb red dots before I even knew there was someone there.

Drewfonse

I've never been this into an online VS shooter. If anything, I'm becoming more enthused as time goes on. There's something so immediate and intense about the gameplay.

No fluff. Not even the lying down looking at a door for 2 minutes part. Even something mundane like that is more intense than most of what other games offer.

So freaking good. Only game that affects my heart rate every time I play it.

Here's my hot laser sights tip: Don't use them. They do practically nothing (should be ADS'ing) and will give away your position more often than not. I've killed plenty of fools because I saw their dumb red dots before I even knew there was someone there.

I only use the laser sight on Blitz's pistol.

Laser is great on shotguns, but most everything else, I agree.

I've never been this into an online VS shooter. If anything, I'm becoming more enthused as time goes on. There's something so immediate and intense about the gameplay.

No fluff. Not even the lying down looking at a door for 2 minutes part. Even something mundane like that is more intense than most of what other games offer.

So freaking good. Only game that affects my heart rate every time I play it.

Yeah, here's a clip I recorded just of me prone waiting for attackers. In my headphones, the distant gunfights sounded a lot more intimidating, but I agree--in this game, *waiting* is a fun, intense experience.

The sound is a big part of that. This kill is actually the second I got against this same player, same place. He loved peeking that window, but he made noise every single time.

Massa

Have they hinted at anything regarding the new modes they'll add to the game?

I'd love a mode where both teams have to attack and defend at the same time.

It's good on the m870 shotgun since that gun is already good at run and gun hipfiring. Of course your playstyle has to match it and not be an ambusher since it'll give you away.

There is also no reason not to use it if you are playing shield and pistoling since it only gives you an advantage, people hear you coming a mile away anyway so there's no stealth penalty.

1 hit kill head shots is the only thing that stops me from loving this, and will be the thing that makes me move on when the next flavor of the month releases.

Getting so tired of random spray in my direction insta killing me.

Drewfonse

Laser is great on shotguns, but most everything else, I agree.

Yeah, here's a clip I recorded just of me prone waiting for attackers. In my headphones, the distant gunfights sounded a lot more intimidating, but I agree--in this game, *waiting* is a fun, intense experience.

The sound is a big part of that. This kill is actually the second I got against this same player, same place. He loved peeking that window, but he made noise every single time.

The sound design is phenomenal

Klyka

Banned
1 hit kill head shots is the only thing that stops me from loving this, and will be the thing that makes me move on when the next flavor of the month releases.

Getting so tired of random spray in my direction insta killing me.

I would like the game a ton less if it didn't have that.
It also makes watching high level play so great to watch cause those players have ridiculous headshot skills.

I'd be fine if penetration affected the damage model, and if low caliber weapons (like pistols and some SMGs) did less damage at a distance. Some of those SMGs act like sniper rifles.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There is also no reason not to use it if you are playing shield and pistoling since it only gives you an advantage, people hear you coming a mile away anyway so there's no stealth penalty.

Yes, I'll give you that one. I use them on Blitz, that's about it.

re: 1-hit kill headshots, they should:

- Not happen with pistols. At all.

- Suffer from damage drop-off based on caliber, same as everything else. I mean an SMG should not 1-hit kill from 40 meters away, but, say, Glaz's rifle absolutely should.

Klyka

Banned
I'd be fine if penetration affected the damage model, and if low caliber weapons (like pistols and some SMGs) did less damage at a distance. Some of those SMGs act like sniper rifles.

penetration DOES affect the damage model. hugely so. penetrating one wall takes off 50% of damage of the penetrating shot.

But headshots are still one shot kill cause there is no "damage" to headshot. you just die.

I would like the game a ton less if it didn't have that.
It also makes watching high level play so great to watch cause those players have ridiculous headshot skills.

I'm fine with it to a degree. Would be better imo if it punished spraying. First X bullets 1 shot, rapid decline to base damage as your clip emptyed. Higher base damage, slower decline.

It does punish spraying already though. You all kind of act like recoil isn't a thing and players who can control the recoil enough to get a headshot are unskilled exploiters who don't deserve to get kills. Maybe you're all just salty because you've been killed by this one too many times but being out-skilled isn't the same as being cheated.

Klyka

Banned
For me personally, if I am in a firefight with someone and get killed by a "lucky" spray headshot, I chalk it up to me being too bad at the game to just headshot the guy outright.

Yeah the panic spray and pray headshots are a pain. Same time I do like the 1 headshot kill. Maybe only burst (first few bullets) fire should be a 1headshot kill?

Idk but it's shitty getting killed by a random bullet from spraying it just a random fire.

I love the moment when the Action Phase begins as defenders. It's like the beginning of A New Hope when all the rebel troopers hear the sounds going around them. Very tense moment of peace as the explosions get closer and closer.

penetration DOES affect the damage model. hugely so. penetrating one wall takes off 50% of damage of the penetrating shot.

But headshots are still one shot kill cause there is no "damage" to headshot. you just die.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, though. Penetration *should* impact headshot damage, IMO.

Otherwise, I'm fine with just adding more bullet spread to hip firing. The odd spray-n-pray headshot doesn't bother me much.

One shot headshots with high first shot accuracy reward aiming skill and taking your time to line up shots rather than go for the almost guaranteed body damage. I like it. Any game with weapon spread is going to have some degree of randomness but I can bet you guys aren't being killed by random headshots as much as you think you are. Learn good crosshair placement and you'll see why it seems like people just headshot you immediately as you turn a corner.

Headshots in this game are the great equalizer between armor ratings. Rook would be way too tanky without the ability to pop him in the dome.

Top Bottom