• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

While I'm glad we're not getting a busted patch, it's unfortunate they couldn't get the issues fixed prior to now since the beta testers found them.

Oh, my precious Andy, we're still getting a busted patch.

Yup. I really love the game, but the team behind the server side and netcode come off as a little amateur.
I just hope they have fixed the lag compensation and hit detection when the patch finally lands.

Yep. They are bottom-tier. I hate it too. Such a great game that can't get out of its own way.

Yep. They are bottom-tier. I hate it too. Such a great game that can't get out of its own way.

Yeah its shocking to me as well.
You can't have an MP only game at $60 with this kind of online infrastructure.
Part of me thinks Ubi didn't give them the necessary resources and wanted to gauge player interest before committing to heavily to it. That or a big part of the team got pulled to work on the Division.

Call me crazy but I'm a bit more worried about the community dissolving over time than some net code hitches. At that point, the matchmaking wouldn't work because there would be a lack of people on the servers, rather than a (hopefully fixable) bug. Seems fairly populated from what I've seen on the PS4 side, but you can feel it in the air that there isn't a whole lot lingering around. Do the content DLC packs bring people back into the fray?

patchday

There's nothing else even remotely close to this game on PS4. I don't think the community is going anywhere is my guess. Cant speak for PC. I have really good PC but I tend to buy PC-only games on that platform because PC gamers tend to flock to MMO/MOBA/Counterstrike.

So I already know from experience the PS4 community will be much more loyal due to having nowhere else to go

andycapps

There's nothing else even remotely close to this game on PS4. I don't think the community is going anywhere is my guess. Cant speak for PC. I have really good PC but I tend to buy PC-only games on that platform because PC gamers tend to flock to MMO/MOBA/Counterstrike.

So I already know from experience the PS4 community will be much more loyal due to having nowhere else to go
Yeah I don't think there's anything that competes with this style of gameplay coming out anytime soon.

Call me crazy but I'm a bit more worried about the community dissolving over time than some net code hitches. At that point, the matchmaking wouldn't work because there would be a lack of people on the servers, rather than a (hopefully fixable) bug. Seems fairly populated from what I've seen on the PS4 side, but you can feel it in the air that there isn't a whole lot lingering around. Do the content DLC packs bring people back into the fray?

The community leaving is why I'm so upset at the netcode issues(other than my own obvious frustrations with connections). This game will eventually die because of the lack of support or at least the lack of support in any meaningful way.

andycapps

Siege is on sale today on PSN for $38.99 for regular version and $49.49 for Gold. It's a Tom Clancy sale so I'm not sure if this is just today or what.

Anyone noticed bad lag the past couple of weeks? it was fine last month but the last few weeks it's like there is 1 second delay in 1 on 1 encounters. Whenever i watch the kill cams back I'm getting killed by people who barely get any shots on target yet manage to one shot me, really weird.

Beaulieu

I think I saw you pop in to ask this a little while back and no one seemed to respond. Sorry about that! I don't think it would be very easy to make machinima with Siege. There is no free cam mode. The closest you can get is using the in game camera placements to get aerial viewpoints, but they have an aggressive filter grain on them. You could also try to use the drone cars as a moving camera, but the sound is muffled, there's that aggressive filter, and they're so low to the ground your shots would look like you're filming with an ant.

Someone with the PC version can chime in about the possibility of console commands to unlock the camera. I hope there is a solution for you as I think the look, sound, and feel of this game lends itself well to intense theatrical gunfights.

How did I not know this?? I enjoy trying my hand at some solo TH missions but some of them are just straight up impossible alone (Bomb Defusal or Hostage Defense). If anything, they're a nice set of training challenges that let you get a feel for new weapons, map layouts, and cornering without having to worry about fucking things up for your team and waiting 5 mins for the next round to start up.

Seems like you dont know about the spectator camera either as you dont mention anything about it...

Also, community is super healthy on ps4. There is no risk there.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Yeah I don't think there's anything that competes with this style of gameplay coming out anytime soon.
This might sound a little crazy but I think the two games most threatening to Siege are from Ubi themselves! The Division put a huge dent in the population (though it might not have staying power) and this might be the crazy-sounding part but I think For Honor is going to appeal to the same crowd, for a lot of the same reasons, as Siege. That game is still an unknown, so this is mostly speculation, but I'm just putting it out there. Because it's ironic.

Anyone noticed bad lag the past couple of weeks? it was fine last month but the last few weeks it's like there is 1 second delay in 1 on 1 encounters. Whenever i watch the kill cams back I'm getting killed by people who barely get any shots on target yet manage to one shot me, really weird.

Yes! I've been having weird rubber-banding issues every once in awhile. And I typically have one of the better pings in the game.

Also, community is super healthy on ps4. There is no risk there.

Ehhhh, even our own PS4 GAF crew has dried up quite a bit.

Can you find matches? Yes. I often run across the same players over and over again.

emptyroom

Neo Member
I really hope the PC community doesn't go anywhere, it's a really great game with a level of intensity that gives a nice adrenaline rush.

andycapps

Ehhhh, even our own PS4 GAF crew has dried up quite a bit.

Can you find matches? Yes. I often run across the same players over and over again.
I feel like things have picked up in the PS4 GAF messages thread, but maybe it's just me. It's always more active on the weekends but I feel like first week of division was really dead, and as it's gone on things have picked up at a slow pace. Granted, most of the posts in that thread are from the same 10-15 people every day but there's been some new blood and people coming back to it. I think the new maps and operators will help.

I feel like things have picked up in the PS4 GAF messages thread, but maybe it's just me. It's always more active on the weekends but I feel like first week of division was really dead, and as it's gone on things have picked up at a slow pace. Granted, most of the posts in that thread are from the same 10-15 people every day but there's been some new blood and people coming back to it. I think the new maps and operators will help.

There were also two recent separate threads about two weeks back with titles like "Rainbow Six Siege is the best multiplayer FPS in years" that tried to hype it up to people who passed on it when it first came out (like me). There was also a sale around the same time at Best Buy (and through honoring, Amazon) for $30. In fact, the first time I heard from people that Siege was any good was coming out of The Division OT where people were saying "this and Siege are Ubi's best games." So The Division's popularity seems to have been a double edged sword.

If Destiny's inexplicable staying power says anything about the communities of those types of games, I doubt The Division crowd will be leaving it behind anytime soon. I just want to be able to pop this game in next year and still be able to play.

Seems like you dont know about the spectator camera either as you dont mention anything about it...

While there is a labeled "spectator" camera, it's first person from the players perspective. Unless the dude wanted to film the whole machinima in first person with gun models and all other animations taking up screen space, there aren't many choices. They asked in their original post about a free cam.

*Edit* I just looked this up to make sure I'm not missing something and it turns out I am. There is a more in depth spectator mode on the PC that features a "Tactical View" which allows full overhead view of the map and looks cool as hell. I read something about this not being on the console version yet, but it's entirely possibly I'm missing it completely when in-game (or it may only appear for private/custom games which you would theoretically use for machinima). It seems to be implemented for competitive play watching. Here's an older Ubi video talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbuB-69euUw

KodaRuss

I have been playing a lot of the division lately and I havent really had much time for Siege which is probably going to change soon.

Is there any update on when the April stuff is going to come out?

Evolved1

Still no word on new operators either.

It gets pretty annoying tbh.

FWIW, the last time this happened, it was only delayed by a day. This sounds potentially more significant, though.

EDIT: Yup, deploying tomorrow: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1426709-XB1-PS4-Maintenance-on-6APR2016-to-deploy-Update-2-3

We will be performing scheduled maintenance on Wednesday, April 6th. We will be applying Update 2.3 during this time.Outage times can be found below:

PS4: 9:00am - 10:00am Eastern Time
XB1: 10:00am - 11:00am Eastern Time

Online services will be unavailable during this time.

atr0cious

So pc has some crazy hacks now. Played a team and they literally took over the server and started sending console messages then spoofed a friend's name and was saying shit like " im a hacker too." My friend they spoofed couldn't control his shit any more so we all dropped.

patchday

That's usually not a good indicator though due to how most matchmaking algorithms work. I play League of Legends and have been matched with same dude back-to-back and to add insult injury in one case I just reported the guy for being afk. And I know LoL has a healthy populace

The only way to know for sure is if the developer discloses their numbers.

(And even if matchmaking took you 10 mins that still wouldn't mean nothing. In LoL top tier players wait 10 mins)

[edit] note I would be worried if a new player waited a long time

andycapps

So pc has some crazy hacks now. Played a team and they literally took over the server and started sending console messages then spoofed a friend's name and was saying shit like " im a hacker too." My friend they spoofed couldn't control his shit any more so we all dropped.
Yikes. Glad I'm on console. I know DDOS'ing was a bad thing for a while on PC as well.

patchday

Yeah they fixed that in the upcoming patch. Very odd they did that lol

So let's say you're in a ranked match and someone drops. Did they replace the guy or does the game keeps trying to get the afker to come back?

I'm only L18 atm. Not planning on doing ranked though unless I'm with friends

HiiiLife

Yeah they fixed that in the upcoming patch. Very odd they did that lol

So let's say you're in a ranked match and someone drops. Did they replace the guy or does the game keeps trying to get the afker to come back?

I'm only L18 atm. Not planning on doing ranked though unless I'm with friends

More often than not that game just continues without them. It's just me and another teammate getting fucked over by a team of 5. Fuck this game lol.

I just got one shot by the Pulse shotgun (m10 something or other) all the way down a hallway on Kafe. Not a headshot either, I checked. Just a hipfire, one shot. Practically went through the roof because I downed him. The semi-auto shotguns should be so much worse and so much bouncier. Long ass hallway too.

emptyroom

Neo Member
I just got one shot by the Pulse shotgun (m10 something or other) all the way down a hallway on Kafe. Not a headshot either, I checked. Just a hipfire, one shot. Practically went through the roof because I downed him. The semi-auto shotguns should be so much worse and so much bouncier. Long ass hallway too.

Is that the one Castle uses? His is pretty much a rifle.

HiiiLife

My main concern is still the matchmaking. It's taking way too long. Would it be faster to find matches in a party? Sure. But that can be used for any shooter, that's not CoD. Sometimes it's just not an option when you end up playing at random hours of the day, and you can't get a full team. The wait time is ridiculous in this for people who wanna experience ranked smh.

MattDoza

Hm, need to watch a guide on how to use Pulse. I see the really good Pulse players roaming around getting kills
I had no idea the pulse scan was so short of range. I was using it wrong for so long. Someone finally told me I wouldn't pick up a reading just a couple weeks ago. His shotgun is one of the best. Great rate of fire.

While there is a labeled "spectator" camera, it's first person from the players perspective. Unless the dude wanted to film the whole machinima in first person with gun models and all other animations taking up screen space, there aren't many choices. They asked in their original post about a free cam.

*Edit* I just looked this up to make sure I'm not missing something and it turns out I am. There is a more in depth spectator mode on the PC that features a "Tactical View" which allows full overhead view of the map and looks cool as hell. I read something about this not being on the console version yet, but it's entirely possibly I'm missing it completely when in-game (or it may only appear for private/custom games which you would theoretically use for machinima). It seems to be implemented for competitive play watching. Here's an older Ubi video talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbuB-69euUw

Thank you Fractology, appreciate it, haven't had time to delve into the possibilities yet. Reason I ask is for a potential uni assignment, gonna make some time to experiment with it this weekend. Volunteers, on PC, won't be turned down :p

Evolved1

Don't use Pulse's shotgun, it is dishonorable.
lol m10 was the most complained about weapon before the super 90... tbh they are very similar, aside from the 90's insane range.

One particular Pulse player and his m10 had my number last night on Yacht. Growl.

KodaRuss

Pulse is driving me crazy lately. Good Pulse players are rare but when you see them they're pretty dominating.

I have only played Pulse a few times but I either looked like a psychic or a complete moron when I was playing as him.

Small map with a lot of windows (Training Facility) is his happy place.

Top Bottom