• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Disgraced

I disagree with Mute being a good choice for rookies honestly, you need to know the best spots to place the jammers and quickly. Rook is a much better choice.
Definitely. I chose him as my first and it was rough. He's my most played defender and I certainly consider him one of my mains, but it took me many hours to not only nail his nuances but his basics. After hundreds of hours I still learn better spots from time to time, to be honest. If Rook and Doc seem too vanilla for you, I'd pick Pulse or Echo.

Definitely. I chose him as my first and it was rough. He's my most played defender and I certainly consider him one of my mains, but it took me many hours to not only nail his nuances but his basics. After hundreds of hours I still learn better spots from time to time, to be honest. If Rook and Doc seem too vanilla for you, I'd pick Pulse or Echo.

Isn't Echo considered pretty bad? Plus he's a DLC OP so I imagine most new players won't have access to him.

Disgraced

Isn't Echo considered pretty bad? Plus he's a DLC OP so I imagine most new players won't have access to him.
Nope. Not A tier but pretty damn solid in good hands, on the right site, and in the right situation. And besides the timing plant denials, his kit is fairly easy to understand or at least easy to use and be useful even if not used to its maximum potential. Intel is always useful—just as much to new players learning the maps as it is to vets roaming them. I'd almost recommend him the same way I'd reccomend IQ for learning the positions of cameras.

And they could have access to him if they bought the "Complete Edition."

*He's also a fantastic foil to Montagne.

nOoblet16

I disagree with Mute being a good choice for rookies honestly, you need to know the best spots to place the jammers and quickly. Rook is a much better choice.

Honestly, I don't even bother placing charges for prep phase. Plus once the enemy has figured out the objectives you will need to relocate your charges to block the reinforced walls and windows, which takes time. Then there is the twitch drone, most of the time even if I place a charge properly and fast a twitch drone will be able to find atleast one way to get around it and destroy it in prep phase itself leaving the windows and walls open to attackers.

I'd rather place the charges to block walls/windows after prep phase/destroying the twitch drone and use the leftovers to block some common drone locations during the round. As often these locations are different from the locations that you need to place the charges to block drones during prep phase.

Disgraced

Honestly, I don't even bother placing charges for prep phase. [...]
This is very true for me depdending on the situation. Sometimes there's just too many holes to plug. But when you can (and there are sites where you can—even Twitch) completely or almost completely seal away the drones, it can prove invaluable.

TheYanger

Picked up complete on the sale, been running through the single player stuff, still a bit out of my depth I think with multi though, haven't queued up yet >.< The map knowledge required just seems intense as fuck.

Picked up complete on the sale, been running through the single player stuff, still a bit out of my depth I think with multi though, haven't queued up yet >.< The map knowledge required just seems intense as fuck.
It's a bit overwhelming at first but I found the learning curve pretty intuitive. Though it wasn't until I was level 50~ or so that the maps stopped feeling like mazes and I stopped feeling paranoid that I'd be wallbanged from anywhere I stood.

HariKari

You can change the lone wolf terrorist hunt filters to a specific map by toggling them in matchmaking preferences. Then you can pick a random insertion point to practice approaching that map from different areas.

Disgraced

The map knowledge required just seems intense as fuck.
It's not that bad.
It's a bit overwhelming at first but I found the learning curve pretty intuitive.
The design is very intuitive. For starters, nearly every room on every map has a single large object of note, and/or is a specific type of room. And these objects and types are the same across maps. For instance, many rooms have a piano, a stage, a car, a pool table (there's more to it than asset reuse). Many maps have a kitchen, a library, a bar, a gym, a dining room, a laundry room, etc. Also, every area has an assigned name (visible on the bottom right of your HUD, next to the compass—which is really useful), and consistent with the aforementioned—these titles are shared across maps i.e. "Kitchen 1F," "Reading Room 2F."

And some maps are even segmented by distinct colors. There's lots to learn but they've been made to be learned, and learned efficiently.

Echo is great depending on how you play him.

He can deny a plant, which is great and can potentially win a round.
He has access to a shotgun/SMG combo which is great for remodelling the map similar to Smoke.
You can use his drone to counter-drone for your roamer(s) if you're communicating with them.

Personally, I like to set his drone on the ceiling to watch a corridor so I can peek and prefire safely.

Disgraced

A man walks into Kohl's looking to buy a blue shirt.

"But wait, are you sure you don't want a SPACE SUIT?!"

"No I—"

"WHAT ABOUT AN ORNATE, ANTIQUATED DRESS?!"

"I don'—"

"A MOTHERFUCKING SWAMP THING COSTUME!"

nOoblet16

Man it's quite difficult to find even casual games when you are platinum and searching alone. Not enough concurrent platinum players.

Anyways I'm online and ready to play right now on PS or Xbox.

HariKari

And yes, I'm going to complain about the lack of uniforms as often as I can. I'm going to shoot for a post about it on every page from now on. Because it's dumb as hell.

I don't understand how there's so little content in the game in terms of unlocks/monetized stuff. Ash has like 4 different colorways but some operators have no uniforms at all.

nOoblet16

Ash players that do dropshots can go suck a dick. You already have the hardest to hit operator in the game, dropshoting every single firefight is just stupid.

You get me once, twice but it's not gonna work all the time but the few times you do get me, it's so scummy.

OG Kush

Ash players that do dropshots can go suck a dick. You already have the hardest to hit operator in the game, dropshoting every single firefight is just stupid.

You get me once, twice but it's not gonna work all the time but the few times you do get me, it's so scummy.

Probably the one positive console has over PC (maybe also the slower pace, but thats subjective). While you can configure button layout, most won't move it. As I could only see it working would be moving crouche/prone to R3/Right stick click (which will mean reduced accuracy as you will have to click in your stick while also aiming with it) or moving it to L2/LT (and moving ADS to right stick, which could mean slow reaction time to aim down sights, which can hamper).

Probably the one positive console has over PC (maybe also the slower pace, but thats subjective). While you can configure button layout, most won't move it. As I could only see it working would be moving crouche/prone to R3/Right stick click (which will mean reduced accuracy as you will have to click in your stick while also aiming with it) or moving it to L2/LT (and moving ADS to right stick, which could mean slow reaction time to aim down sights, which can hamper).

Scuff controllers are a thing.

nOoblet16

Anyone been watching the Pro league?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZt7jmFXPS4

Always interesting to watch their tactics.
It's nice to see their tactics and how they play. However, one of the things I like the most about Siege is the slower gameplay and the stealth.

These two simply don't exist in Pro games as they all play so aggressively. Yea sure they still have to drone out and check cameras to gain information on enemy positions but you don't really have players doing everything they can to avoid giving away their positions. You see everyone just running around full speed without thinking about whether their footsteps are giving away their positions or not, you almost never see a player hold a position either be it inside objectives or outside...everyone's just roaming super fast. Majority of it is to do with the 3 minute rounds that I've always believed to be too short, and it has led to the development of a meta that is just so different to how everyone else plays the game or even how the game's core designs were originally laid out.

I believe the game was designed to be played slower and with a lot of stealth in mind, but Pro games don't care much about either and it all comes down to how efficiently and quickly you can cover and clean out a map...which requires skills ofcourse, but just not something that is in sync with the original game design imo.

Does anyone else find the Pro League stuff hard to watch? I wish I could spectate games or replays through the game itself so I could flick through players and views at will. I find it really hard to keep track of what's going on, especially when all the players' outlines are visible.

Does anyone else find the Pro League stuff hard to watch? I wish I could spectate games or replays through the game itself so I could flick through players and views at will. I find it really hard to keep track of what's going on, especially when all the players' outlines are visible.

It is hard to watch. Mostly because the spectator just doesn't do a good job of directing focus onto the action and also because the game lacks some fairly necessary spectator features for an FPS to be enjoyable to watch.

It happens far too frequently that Pro League will be on one players POV while the rest of the team dies in gunfights.

They need to follow the League of Legends approach. Delay the live stream by 30 seconda toa1 minute so tht spectator knows where stuff will go down and can premeptively focus there.

Auctopus

Yeah, I don't really enjoy watching it. Like nooblet said, the gameplay is too fast and I prefer the slower, methodical approach to gameplay. Also, because of the way Spectator mode works, I feel like the tension is removed from any match and adds frustration in moments when you see two players so close to each other but have no idea the other is there - it's like dramatic irony.

They changed something that wasn't broken.

I really don't think it's down to them benching King George for Slashug. It's not like he went all in for VG last season.

Even with their two new members, who were really impressive on Ominous last season, they're still playing poorly.

Seems to be more down to bad calls from their IGL (Canadian)

Having got really into youtubers like Macie Jay and Thomi recently I thought I would. Unfortunately they zip around between players on different teams and the overview map in a way that really obfuscates much of the strategy at play.

You can gleam certain things from it in terms of new ideas for attack and defense but its much harder to watch as you say.

KodaRuss

Having got really into youtubers like Macie Jay and Thomi recently I thought I would. Unfortunately they zip around between players on different teams and the overview map in a way that really obfuscates much of the strategy at play.

You can gleam certain things from it in terms of new ideas for attack and defense but its much harder to watch as you say.

Agreed. I love watching Macie and others but the Pro League just isnt that fun to watch. Pro League needs to change something for it to be better, maybe only follow just a few people.

Agreed. I love watching Macie and others but the Pro League just isnt that fun to watch. Pro League needs to change something for it to be better, maybe only follow just a few people.

They could just make an additional highlights reel similar to what the aforementioned guys do already.

mf.luder

It would be nice if we had access to the spectator mode and could watch from there as opposed to watching someone else use spectator mode.

Macie Jay is very skilled. I like Thomi more because whole he's not quite as good, his videos are hilarious and cleverly edited (though kudos to MJ's transitions too)

KodaRuss

Who're everyone's favorite siege streamers? Mine are Macie Jay, Kix, Beaulo and Skys.

Serenity17 has slowed a lot but he, Macie and Matimi0 are my favorites.

AnthonyPit1 has some incredibly funny videos, some arent as good and some are just dumb but there is some gold on his channel imo.

KodaRuss

Macie Jay is very skilled. I like Thomi more because whole he's not quite as good, his videos are hilarious and cleverly edited (though kudos to MJ's transitions too)

MJ's transitions are a thing of beauty. First couple of his videos I watched I was blown away...

Breaching Charge on a window on Border....wait... Oh were in House now.

OG Kush

Macie Jay is my favourite, espeically when he does full matches and he goes through his train of through when approaching scenarios. He's so calm and calculated it seems.

jkupper

Neo Member
Serenity17 has slowed a lot but he, Macie and Matimi0 are my favorites.

AnthonyPit1 has some incredibly funny videos, some arent as good and some are just dumb but there is some gold on his channel imo.

Microwave gaming and Teo also make funny siege videos / streams

MJ's transitions are a thing of beauty. First couple of his videos I watched I was blown away...

Yea the first transition of his I saw I had to rewind 3 times was so confused lol

nOoblet16

Microwave gaming and Teo also make funny siege videos / streams

Yea the first transition of his I saw I had to rewind 3 times was so confused lol

You guys want smooth ass "woah wtf" transitions ?
Check out NarcolepticNugget

First transition happens around 1:41

nOoblet16

Although it's difficult to do when people rage about how shit the game is for 15 seconds after they die.

QUtNGyb.jpg

Top Bottom