• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

I'm all for removing Bartlett and house but the other maps were all successfully in pro league at one time or another and are okay to stay in ranked. Not to say they are balanced but kanal should be in ranked. Same with favela and yatch and maybe plane. You guys just need to get good on those maps. House Bartlett and hereford are a stretch, so to be completely honest I wouldn't mind them going. Also wtf is the new map not in the ranked rotation for? Have they made it unbalanced in it's standard form? Am I supposed to play casual to get the new content I was promised? One of the best ways of seeing the new operator's strengths and weaknesses is seeing how they play on every goddamned map. I can't do that now unless I play casual? What? Casual is the worst part of siege. 10 minute rounds. Brainded enemies and teammates. Unbalanced teams. Not fun for anybody. You remove maps in line with pro league because they're the balanced ones but they still have the unbalanced gamemodes? Plus no matchmaking preferences so hostage is as likely as bomb. What? How is that a decision anyone can agree with? It's not worth never having to play on house again. I'd rather play bomb on house than hostage on skyscraper. Fuck that noise
Damn my rant is top of the page :p

OG Kush

Is the starter edition different to the standard? I got the standard one it was reduced from £30 to £15.99 for the weekend.

The starter edition is normally cheaper than the standard edition. THey make up for this buy making the starter edition a grind fest. Have to pay way more renown for operators etc. Basically it involves more microtransactions, kind of like a F2P version of Siege.

Also echoing the sentiment that the new map not being in Ranked is annoying. Fuck having to go to casual to play that map.

Just to further beat the dead horse. I'm 100% fine with them dropping Flavela, Yacht, House, Plane, and Bartlett from ranked. Not too keen on them mirroring the pro league map pool for ranked, 9 maps isn't enough and Kafe is pretty shit map in terms of balance with only 2 out of the three sites being viable, one being very defender favoured and the other being very attacker favoured. Never played with anyone that has had a problem with Hereford, always seemed like a well liked and balanced map outside of the split bomb site defence. Kanal can be like marmite for some but it's a completely fine map in my opinion.

Casual should have all maps in rotation, because it's fucking casual and balance isn't what I play casual for.

No maps should be fully removed from the game in any case, they should always be there for custom games.

andycapps

Think what they said they ran into is essentially that they've run out of room with how big the game can be with the maps as they are, so to add any more maps or anything, other maps have to be dropped or reworked. Sounds like they're re-working some of the maps they're removing.

Honestly, I'm fine with the new ranked playlist. But I like Hereford, wish it was in that list. I'm assuming they'll update the playlist over time. Just so glad that Bartlett isn't in it.

CrayToes said:
Absolutely. If they could just go ahead and permanently remove University, Yacht, Favela, Blackbeard, Ash and everyone with 100+ ping that'd be swell. Praise Ubi.

I'm not sure I've ever actually posted anything positive in this thread. The game is fucking broken.

I don't think you have. Maybe just stop playing if it's completely broken. This thread gets as toxic as in game chat.

Yeah very against this. Yacht is a great map. Ranked people can't even play the new map either lol. Just get rid of the Ranked/Casual divide. Both modes have merits so just combine them. Bo5 is way better than what ranked has.

Yacht was fine. Favela was a cluster. Hereford needed to be wider and have more access points to the floors. Aka there's no other way to the top floor for the defenders aside from the stairs. I'm not sure what House needs; maybe a redesign of the objective rooms.

andycapps

Yeah very against this. Yacht is a great map. Ranked people can't even play the new map either lol. Just get rid of the Ranked/Casual divide. Both modes have merits so just combine them. Bo5 is way better than what ranked has.

Yacht was fine. Favela was a cluster. Hereford needed to be wider and have more access points to the floors. Aka there's no other way to the top floor for the defenders aside from the stairs. I'm not sure what House needs; maybe a redesign of the objective rooms.

House is just too small. I bet that was the first map they built for the game.

You're probably on to something with Hereford. It needs to be a little bigger inside so they can put another set of stairs in there for defenders to use for flanks. Still, I enjoyed it more than the other maps they removed.

I just have a bias towards yacht because every time I play that map I go like 12 and 1 or 10 and 0 with at least one solo ace per match. It's nice because it has plenty of access points for attackers and defenders. Lots of smart ways to play the map for both sides I think.

fuck off Ubi

I only play casual these days (BO5 is just better), and I just won't get to see yacht or favela at all, and yet I will have to see fucking bartlett and plane more often.

For fucks sake I hate plane and bartlett but still wouldnt want them just removed from rotation, and even worse two better maps (as broken as Favela is its at least more fun than plane) are sitting out.

Fuck this, I quit splatoon over their shitty rotation system and this is worse.

You get me. Bo5 is way better than the ranked setup. Quick, concise, and fair. The ranked method is like you can win by four matches but you have to win by two and draws and blah blah blah.

manhack

I'm fine with them curating the map rotation for ranked, it's not great, but there are certainly some valid reasons for keeping ranked as balanced as possible.

But getting rid of maps completely from casual?!?! (custom mode does not exist to me)

How about a simple map vote function like any other game. And using the new player experience and file size limits as an excuse is absurd.

andycapps

I'm fine with them curating the map rotation for ranked, it's not great, but there are certainly some valid reasons for keeping ranked as balanced as possible.

But getting rid of maps completely from casual?!?! (custom mode does not exist to me)

How about a simple map vote function like any other game. And using the new player experience and file size limits as an excuse is absurd.

I think the file size limits are a thing for consoles. I'm assuming there are rules from platform holders on how big a game can be. Like it or not, these maps have a lot more detail than most shooters, and there are 17.

I don't think that having too many maps is a problem for noobs. That's why casual is there.

I think the file size limits are a thing for consoles. I'm assuming there are rules from platform holders on how big a game can be. Like it or not, these maps have a lot more detail than most shooters, and there are 17.

I don't think that having too many maps is a problem for noobs. That's why casual is there.
isn't doom like > 80GB even on console with everything installed. I don't buy that excuse though, you are one of the biggest publishers. Sony and Microsoft have made exceptions for less.

andycapps

isn't doom like > 80GB even on console with everything installed. I don't buy that excuse though, you are one of the biggest publishers. Sony and Microsoft have made exceptions for less.

No clue, I didn't play it. Need to though.

The other possibility is that with the team they have that they can't keep up with bugs that are introduced with new releases, reworking maps and operators, introducing new maps and operators, etc.

They said it was their servers that are running out of space holding all the information for each map so the reworks would likely be just optimising the maps and only a few need actual reworks. I guess one more poorly optimised map was the limit? Here's me thinking this would be the exact kind of thing they would fix during operation health. Maybe they should take a whole year out and just make the operation a whole season.

Also what's the deal with the yatch hate? Other than being kind of boring and the ambient noise being too loud I don't get why people put it alongside Bartlett and house.

CrayToes

I was watching some leaked gameplay of Theme Park and noticed one of the defenders went outside but their screen didn't turn red. I hope to God it was a glitch and not a genuine change.
I don't think you have. Maybe just stop playing if it's completely broken. This thread gets as toxic as in game chat.
Maybe just put me on ignore if my toxic posts offend you so much, mate.

nOoblet16

I was watching some leaked gameplay of Theme Park and noticed one of the defenders went outside but their screen didn't turn red. I hope to God it was a glitch and not a genuine change.

Maybe it's "outside" but still inside. Like the lawn in Coastline.

nOoblet16

Siege is like only 40GB on consoles after all update, that's less than even a dual layered Blue Ray. Halo 5 takes up 100GB and Gears 4 will likely be 120+GB after the Xbox One X patch.

They said it was their servers that are running out of space holding all the information for each map so the reworks would likely be just optimising the maps and only a few need actual reworks. I guess one more poorly optimised map was the limit? Here's me thinking this would be the exact kind of thing they would fix during operation health. Maybe they should take a whole year out and just make the operation a whole season.

Also what's the deal with the yatch hate? Other than being kind of boring and the ambient noise being too loud I don't get why people put it alongside Bartlett and house.
But servers can be updated though. Infact they are doing that right now and will have the new servers up and running on TTS this coming week.

I think it's just that the game's loading time would've increased exponentially with new updates and they probably duplicate a lot of data too which is unnecessary. Hence after the cleanup it should be faster and manageable.

Auctopus

Listen, mate. When you insult the game, that's fine. But when you insult Ubisoft and it's hardworking developers. Then you're insulting my body ART...

3087779763_a151fdacdc_z.jpg

TheKeyPit

Banned

It's supposed to be a change and I hate it! Everything that helps Defenders outside is bad. They should get detected immediately.

manhack

Well looks like I'm definitely downloading the TTS stuff on the 29th. Gonna be a huge change to the game for better or worse. Sad to see all this excitement about new content dwarfed by all these weird changes.

nOoblet16

This is what Ubisoft did:

1) They delayed one season to do health updates which are still pending.

2) Supposedly this season was close to finish when management asked them to do a health season, yet we got a further delay like a week before launch + no polish map even after 3 months of downtime.

3) They reveal this map shenanigan even closer to release without any input from community.

4) The brand new map isn't even in ranked. How are people going to develop and find advanced strategies of the best players/streamers/YouTube's don't even play it?

5) While we are at it, why the fuck did the piss filter for when defenders are outside get removed ? The lighting changes would've been more than enough for visibility. Most defenders who go out do it for a short period because they can't see properly but with this they can stay out longer.

I think I was correct in assuming that while Ubi got more than they expected from this game, they didn't handle it appropriately and provide the Devs with support and resources they need leading them to pull shit like this.

Another factor to consider is the pro league is exclusively bomb mode and that mode is absolutely terrible in maps like Favela or Yacht (especiakky Favela that has two of the worst bomb locations in the game). So they were never going to be in Pro league. But secure area and Hostage on the other hand are kind of ok and a bit better.

Lots of backlash on reddit for the map removal.

Good.
Good, if they absolutely have to do that then perhaps we'll get a real reason what were they actually referring to with "data size limits". Because if it's simply the size of the game then I'm sure players would be happy to free up space in HDD Esther than have content removed.

Really? And it installs 100 GB on the hard drive? That's insane.
Yea, the original game was half the size, rest is all DLC and forge stuff. It's probably more than 100GB now. Forza 7 is going to be that big top with the One X update. HDD size should not be an issue.

nOoblet16

Of all the maps Yacht has the most even win loss between Defenders and Attackers. So not sure why it's being removed. Is it simply cause people don't like small long corridors ?

I never had problems with Yacht, the only maps I have real problem with is Bartlett university simply cause attacker's entry point is so damn limited and Defenders can peek from so many windows while being visibly blocked by trees. Favela I'm mostly fine with except for when it's bombs, in that mode it becomes the worst map in the game. House is alright by me too and it's fun to play but it's unbalanced as fuck. As for Hereford base, I don't have a problem with it at all.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Haha, they created a mega-thread on the subreddit so they can control the damage. All map-posts limited to that one thread. My front page post just disappeared from there.

Every single post should be about the map-change. They can't get away with this!

I love Yacht, Plane and House and will no longer listen to this hearsay. The only maps I really disliked were Border and Favela but I still don't want them removed from casual, let alone the game.

Of course Border is one of the 9 maps that stays :/

And yeah I get the new map not being in ranked right away like OW does, but they should add it after a week or two. Not being included until Season 3 is straight up laughable.

Fury451

Banned
Lots of backlash on reddit for the map removal.

Good.

Damn good, because I just found out they dropped others from ranked rotation too (but not the game).

Seriously, not everybody is a fucking pro player. Make a separate pro ranked list for them if that matters so fucking much. By the looks of it the new theme park map wouldn't make the cut if they released it last year and would be gone by now.

Why are they intent on making these stupid decisions right after the completely bungled rollout of Operation Health?

unless the balance is like 9-1 there is literally no reason to remove it from the casual playlist.

Having to go 3 months not playing one of my favorite maps while waiting for a rework is bullshit. Then I have to hope I don't lose another map I enjoy for 3 months after that.

Then at some point down the road I have to hope I don't lose a map to complete removal from the game.

Future updates should be something to look forward to, not fear.

Teacher: Siege has 16 maps.
Teacher: Siege adds 1 new map
Teacher: How many maps does siege have?
Timmy: 17
Teacher: *slaps Timmy*
Teacher: 15 you fucking idiot!

Keihart

I'm upset about this news, i play the game almost every week at the least with friends and they want to remove maps? freaking asshats

Of all the maps Yacht has the most even win loss between Defenders and Attackers. So not sure why it's being removed. Is it simply cause people don't like small long corridors ?

I never had problems with Yacht, the only maps I have real problem with is Bartlett university simply cause attacker's entry point is so damn limited and Defenders can peek from so many windows while being visibly blocked by trees. Favela I'm mostly fine with except for when it's bombs, in that mode it becomes the worst map in the game. House is alright by me too and it's fun to play but it's unbalanced as fuck. As for Hereford base, I don't have a problem with it at all.

Yacht is a longer map but it actually allowed for vertical play through several hatches. It's a great roaming map. I think Yacht is just Plane 2.0 all things considered. The problem with Hereford is that it has two good floors (main and basement) with two garbage floors. There's no way while inside the building from the top to the bottom floor aside from the stairwell. Highly restrictive especially when the top floor is basically just one big window.

Bartlett was clearly designed to be covered in map-obscuring gas. It also gives spawn killers a huge advantage of tree cover as I've said before. I just don't know why they are doing Yacht so dirty. It's a fuckin good map and the data shows it's balanced. I can't see any objective reason why Yacht is worse than maps they are keeping. It's also even worse that these are DLC maps. They only add one map per season so they're basically wiping out like a third of the post-release content (I didn't do any actual math for this number).

Edit: Damn this news has me heated. I was pumped for this update :(

groansey

I've been playing since launch and level 99, and I think I'm done.

They're different types of shooters - but I'll jump on either CODWII, BF2, Destiny 2 until PUBG arrives on console. If Ubi get their act together I'll be back - but I think they're just milking the playerbase and delivering the bare minimum, even subtracting content - I'll be surprised if they u-turn this as it seems they backed themselves into a corner with their servers. It's a shame, but it's like being in an abusive relationship. Buying the year 2 season pass has proved to be a huge mistake for me.

They're different types of shooters - but I'll jump on either CODWII, BF2, Destiny 2 until PUBG arrives on console. If Ubi get their act together I'll be back - but I think they're just milking the playerbase and delivering the bare minimum, even subtracting content - I'll be surprised if they u-turn this as it seems they backed themselves into a corner with their servers. It's a shame, but it's like being in an abusive relationship. Buying the year 2 season pass has proved to be a huge mistake for me.

You and me both, friend.

mf.luder

You got an extra headgear!

Top Bottom