• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, so I just downloaded the game for the free weekend. Having not touched a tactical shooter in a long ass time, anybody have any beginner pointers for me for MP matches?

Okay, so I just downloaded the game for the free weekend. Having not touched a tactical shooter in a long ass time, anybody have any beginner pointers for me for MP matches?

Use your dones as an attacker to scout ahead.
Reinforce exterior walls before interior walls on defence.

Most importantly, try to keep your crosshairs at head height. Makes a huge difference.

nOoblet16

The advise below is meant to be a joke BUT funny enough it's also true at the same time.
Fuze is a great attacking character for new players and for all game modes.

Fuze has perhaps one of if not the best gadget out of any attacker. But you need to know how to use it otherwise you'll either be useless or even worse, cause your team to lose. General rule while playing Fuze is to drone the room you are fuzing and not using his gadget around teammates or the hostage. Personally I'd recommend picking Rook for defense first so as to learn how to hold an area, then move up to Pulse when you want to roam the map as a defender. For attacker, just play something like Fuze (keeping the above advice in mind), Twitch or ,if you're feeling extra scummy, Ash.

Jawmuncher

So what happens with the Free Weekend Demo and the Full game when it comes to trophies? Mainly stuff like getting three stars on the operations and such. Do you have to do it again?

arimanius

Just finished my placement matches. Bronze 3 lol. I thought I would be lower since I haven't played since the game first released. No where to go but up!

except down to bronze 2!

I've been playing since launch and level 99, and I think I'm done.

They're different types of shooters - but I'll jump on either CODWII, BF2, Destiny 2 until PUBG arrives on console. If Ubi get their act together I'll be back - but I think they're just milking the playerbase and delivering the bare minimum, even subtracting content - I'll be surprised if they u-turn this as it seems they backed themselves into a corner with their servers. It's a shame, but it's like being in an abusive relationship. Buying the year 2 season pass has proved to be a huge mistake for me.

Lol. I don't have the willpower to leave Siege. I love it.

No other shooter does it for me. And honestly, in terms of bugs and hit registration, those issues are rare for me.

This map issue sucks. It feels as if they have some backend issue that is a nightmare to work out.

Ubisoft needs to be dedicating more resources to the game.

arimanius

Just had someone team kill the entire team to end the round and lose. Lost rank because of that. That's some major BS.

What's the penalty for team killers? Quitters?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Wow, just had three consecutive matches (not rounds) where some nutter just decides to commit complete fratricide.

Not a good first impression.

Then why would you say "removed entirely?"
Removing entirely is for year 3,when they "run out of space" whatever the fuck that means. Possibly ram allocations on servers.

Even without this it's still bullshit. Gating off content is why I could t stand splatoon, cutting maps out for 3 months at a time is even worse than that

Erban1

Wow, just had three consecutive matches (not rounds) where some nutter just decides to commit complete fratricide.

Not a good first impression.

There's an unfortunately large troll population hellbent on ruining the experience.

Ubi should consider turning reflective damage on after your first teamkill in a match. At least do it in casual since the punishment is relatively light there.

RedSwirl

So I just tried out some of the free weekend. My first problem is with the free weekend structure itself -- I probably won't be able to play the game again after tonight and it's already ass-o-clock where I am. Free weekends I'm interested in always seem to occur at really inopportune weekends for me. It's why I prefer Origin's system of a time limit that starts and runs whenever you actually have time. I only had maybe three hours to try Siege and couldn't even get all the way through the tutorial.

Anyway, I'm trying to see if I can solve the problem of my not caring about any modern PvP games at all except the occasional Street Fighter match. I've started to think I might prefer games with a somewhat slower pace, lower player counts, and objective-based gameplay which is leading me to try tactical games (I'd play Neotokyo more if it wasn't just about dead all the time). For some reason round-based gameplay appeals to me too. Overwatch seems like it would appeal to me on paper but after a couple free trials I felt no desire to go back to it.

Siege seems to be a game I could possibly end up liking but again I didn't have enough time to really figure that out. The basic structure seems to appeal to me more than COD or Battlefield -- it feels like there's a thought process involved beyond just running around and getting kills, but Siege might still have a bit too much of an upgrade thing going on (that's another thing I don't like -- XP-based gear upgrades that aren't purely cosmetic). It seems to be very light compared to the aforementioned popular MP shooters though. I probably just didn't get enough time to get comfortable with all the different tools the game gives you. The maps also feel very... Ubisoft? I don't know how to describe that. I'll give this the "see if I want to come back to it after a little while" test and think about the Starter Edition.

I think I'm going to have another attempt at CS:GO next week. I might prefer that game's per-match escalation system. Looking back I seem to have always preferred MP games that seem simpler up-front without the immediate burden of classes and upgrades. CS:GO obviously has an astronomical skill ceiling but looking from the outside the game seems to have a certain efficiency about its basic design. Maybe that's why I still play fighters -- they're sort of an ultimate distillation of MP mechanics, just 1v1 without anything going on beyond the two characters and their moves, all the meta springing from those initially simple aspects.

My biggest problem is that all my favorite MP games are dead: Neotokyo, Metal Gear Online on PS2 and PS3, Spies vs Mercs, etc. I feel like if I had Xbox Live back then I could have gotten into the earlier Halo games. Is MGSV MGO any good?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
So I just tried out some of the free weekend. My first problem is with the free weekend structure itself -- I probably won't be able to play the game again after tonight and it's already ass-o-clock where I am. Free weekends I'm interested in always seem to occur at really inopportune weekends for me. It's why I prefer Origin's system of a time limit that starts and runs whenever you actually have time. I only had maybe three hours to try Siege and couldn't even get all the way through the tutorial.

Anyway, I'm trying to see if I can solve the problem of my not caring about any modern PvP games at all except the occasional Street Fighter match. I've started to think I might prefer games with a somewhat slower pace, lower player counts, and objective-based gameplay which is leading me to try tactical games (I'd play Neotokyo more if it wasn't just about dead all the time). For some reason round-based gameplay appeals to me too. Overwatch seems like it would appeal to me on paper but after a couple free trials I felt no desire to go back to it.

Siege seems to be a game I could possibly end up liking but again I didn't have enough time to really figure that out. The basic structure seems to appeal to me more than COD or Battlefield -- it feels like there's a thought process involved beyond just running around and getting kills, but Siege might still have a bit too much of an upgrade thing going on (that's another thing I don't like -- XP-based gear upgrades that aren't purely cosmetic). It seems to be very light compared to the aforementioned popular MP shooters though. I probably just didn't get enough time to get comfortable with all the different tools the game gives you. The maps also feel very... Ubisoft? I don't know how to describe that. I'll give this the "see if I want to come back to it after a little while" test and think about the Starter Edition.

My biggest problem is that all my favorite MP games are dead: Neotokyo, Metal Gear Online on PS2 and PS3, Spies vs Mercs, etc. I feel like if I had Xbox Live back then I could have gotten into the earlier Halo games. Is MGSV MGO any good?

Siege is the sort of game that lives or dies on the basis of having communicative partners. Get someone else on board to join you for the free weekend! On the basis of the games you loved in the past, I would argue that Siege is very much up your alley.

If you think of buying though, I would avoid avoid avoid the starter edition - its a lot of grief (even the basic operators are horribly expensive to unlock with reknown there - you can find the regular edition on some places for $20

Pachimari

I feel so completely lost. I'm just gonna do all the mistakes possible and learn from it.

I feel like I'm also gonna stick to one operator for a long while before choosing something else, to really get to know every single one of them.

groansey

If Ubi doesn't backpedal after this much backlash then they are truly clueless.

How can they backpedal if it's because their shitty servers reach their memory limit?
If they have no choice but to remove maps, I can't see them backing down whatever the backlash.
Best they can do is say they will re-introduce removed maps at a later date (at the expense of other maps).

nOoblet16

How can they backpedal if it's because their shitty servers reach their memory limit?
If they have no choice but to remove maps, I can't see them backing down whatever the backlash.
Best they can do is say they will re-introduce removed maps at a later date (at the expense of other maps).
Because we don't exactly know what they mean by data limits, they've been very vague about how this memory footprints affects the game and where. Everything, including it being the fault of servers, is just a guess but under no circumstances is it something that makes sense because servers can be changed and upgraded. Infact they are upgrading their servers right now and the new servers will be online inTTS in a matter of days!

Ubi rents their servers from Amazon, it's not their own setup and I doubt amazon is not capable of having better servers.

Copper 1 now. Guess this game isn't for me. Got first place on a team so that shows how bad the team was. Games haven't been close.

Year one, season one I was bronze, second season I was diamond (and third and fourth), moral of the story, you can only go up from where you are.

arimanius

Rule 1 of ranked : Don't solo queue
Rule 2 of ranked : Never solo queue

Yeah I had a blast with GAF when the game first came out. Don't know anyone that plays now.

Year one, season one I was bronze, second season I was diamond (and third and fourth), moral of the story, you can only go up from where you are.

Seems like at this level I just have to git gud and carry or find some people to play with. Haven't played since before season 1 so still learning the maps and new ops.

boinx

When do the ranks reset? I don't like playing ranked cuz the games take too long but I ended up playing enough matches with some mates to get a rank and I ended up in diamond, but now I'm only playing against diamonds in casual and it's been a miserable experience. Seems like every match I get a team that's full of shitters.

New map has a lot of reused assets...
Map outline is the same as the leaked image. 2 floors and 4 "sections". It looks like a nightmare to attack as an attacker. Cool artistic design, but looks insanely dark

jkupper

Neo Member
IQ can't detect either of the new DEF gadgets lol

Not sure where you're getting that. its confirmed IQ can detect both.
EXNJOpX.png

YdFSJSO.jpg

arimanius

I don't understand people. Had a guy who would just shoot his own team randomly at the beginning of the round for no reason. I finally had enough and killed him and of course the rest of the team kills me.

Btw does UBI do a bundle at the beginning of the new season that has all the ops in them?

Community seems to suck. Playing the free wekend on pc and in every game people try to kick me and spamming the chat.
Funny thing is i played like 20 hrs on ps4 already and i dont even end up in last place.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, they get into a never ending circle of running out of space? They want to add new maps with each Season? They'll have to remove others. That's just bullshit.

nOoblet16

I don't understand people. Had a guy who would just shoot his own team randomly at the beginning of the round for no reason. I finally had enough and killed him and of course the rest of the team kills me.

Btw does UBI do a bundle at the beginning of the new season that has all the ops in them?

Sometimes* it's people who are playing together messing with each other

*Happens all the time when Packer's in the team.

arimanius

Sometimes* it's people who are playing together messing with each other

*Happens all the time when Packer's in the team.

In this case he shot me at the start of two rounds before I killed him and someone else at the beginning of the first round. Think he was just being a dick.

Community seems to suck. Playing the free wekend on pc and in every game people try to kick me and spamming the chat.
Funny thing is i played like 20 hrs on ps4 already and i dont even end up in last place.

Free weekend brings out the worst people who just want to troll since there is no consequences. If you end up picking it up for PC outside the free weekend you can check out the gaf discord for good groups.

Top Bottom