• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

nOoblet16

If I have the Year 2 Season Pass I get these new operators and map right (everything that comes out for the rest of the year too)?

You get both anyways, with the season pass you just don't have to unlock operators with renown. Maps will be available for everyone regardless.

nOoblet16

How does sound work in this game.
it works like how it does in real life. So two ways:

1) If you are near the source of sound but there's an obstruction between the source and you. In this case imagine an invisible circle around the sound sourceif you are within this area then sound comes from the exact direction the source is in but muffled.

2) If you are outside this circle and there's an obstruction between the source and you. In this case the sound takes the shortest travel path to you. So if there's a wall in to the left of you and a door in front of you, and the source is in the other room behind that wall then the sound will first travel to the door of that room, then go out, then travel to your room's door in front of you by taking the shortest route possible. But if there is a hole in the wall then sound will travel through that hole.

Watch this video where the sound director of the game clearly explains all of this with drawings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4YfurxVZU

Seems like at this level I just have to git gud and carry or find some people to play with. Haven't played since before season 1 so still learning the maps and new ops.

Just stick with casual, have some fun and don't put any thought into rankings. Generally, they're pretty worthless anyway. When you're more comfortable with the maps and have more general game knowledge then dip into some ranked.

Plus the best way to find some chill people to play with is to just play the game. I made a shit load of PSN friends through solo queuing through ranked and casual. Met some good people solo queuing through casual on PC too.

arimanius

Just stick with casual, have some fun and don't put any thought into rankings. Generally, they're pretty worthless anyway. When you're more comfortable with the maps and have more general game knowledge then dip into some ranked.

Plus the best way to find some chill people to play with is to just play the game. I made a shit load of PSN friends through solo queuing through ranked and casual. Met some good people solo queuing through casual on PC too.

Everyone told me to stay away from casual since it's more toxic. I'm having some better games but I do need to find some peeps to play with.

Everyone told me to stay away from casual since it's more toxic. I'm having some better games but I do need to find some peeps to play with.

I think it's a case of your mileage may vary. I played a shit load of casual early on, never had too many awful experiences. Had worse experiences in terrorist hunt with randoms to be honest, but also had some good ones.

Upside of casual is that, at least in my experience, most people are in for fun. Win or lose.
Ranked on the other hand, people want to win. When they don't, they'll likely blame everybody except themselves for the loss.

RedSwirl

Siege is the sort of game that lives or dies on the basis of having communicative partners. Get someone else on board to join you for the free weekend! On the basis of the games you loved in the past, I would argue that Siege is very much up your alley.

If you think of buying though, I would avoid avoid avoid the starter edition - its a lot of grief (even the basic operators are horribly expensive to unlock with reknown there - you can find the regular edition on some places for $20

I kinda noticed that things come together more when there's a lot of voice chat going on.

Oh, and I like the idea of terrorist hunt but is it balanced for solo or mainly having 5 players?

Tested the game yesterday, because of the free weekend. Damn, it's super intense and exciting. Especially with Headphones and all the noises, when an enemy is nearby :)

But man, the community seems to be pretty toxic. Didn't experience something like this before on Playstation network (but I don't play many games online anymore. I play Battlefield 1, Street Fighter 5 and Earth Defense Force 4.1 daily for the last few months and never had problems with idiots, hate mails etc.)

Playing my first few matches in Siege, I already encountered a lot of hateful people and idiots.

People try to kick players right when the match begins, or when someone is not that good. Also got a few messages with insults, just because I was not very good in my first matches. Also when I accidentally made a team kill.

But yeah, I can imagine it's the same with other bigger online games, like Call Of Duty or especially Overwatch.

boinx

Tested the game yesterday, because of the free weekend. Damn, it's super intense and exciting. Especially with Headphones and all the noises, when an enemy is nearby :)

But man, the community seems to be pretty toxic. Didn't experience something like this before on Playstation network (but I don't play many games online anymore. I play Battlefield 1, Street Fighter 5 and Earth Defense Force 4.1 daily for the last few months and never had problems with idiots, hate mails etc.)

Playing my first few matches in Siege, I already encountered a lot of hateful people and idiots.

People try to kick players right when the match begins, or when someone is not that good. Also got a few messages with insults, just because I was not very good in my first matches. Also when I accidentally made a team kill.

But yeah, I can imagine it's the same with other bigger online games, like Call Of Duty or especially Overwatch.

In my experience Siege and OW have been way worse offenders than CoD or BF. In fact I have never gotten shit from other players in the latter games.

The thing with Siege is that it gives the players lots of tools to fuck their teammates over. I'd say the punishment system for TK's is total shit right now. Most of the time it's done by dickheads on purpose and it's rare to see them get the proper punishment they deserve.

You have to endure it until you unlock ranked, where the community is much better.

It's such a shame they plan to put some maps only in Casual, because I dont want to play with those assholes.

Anywho, after trying COD beta, Im so thankful for Siege. The gun shooting is so much more satisfying. You'd think an instant headshot game would be frustrating, but I always can accept my deaths in Siege compared to COD where so many times it feels like b.s.

I swear COD always feels like you're shooting at paper while in games like Siege, it feels like Im puncturing meat bags.

Pachimari

Meh, I played some placement matches and had an awful experience. Some guy kept saying I was so bad on the microphone and that I should stick to casual.

Keihart

So they caved and made smoke boring...
I hate how the changes seem to be going in the direction of making the game more "comfortable" or "convenient" instead of fixing real problems.

Next you know they'll take out the HDR like effect from dark to bright rooms and then make it like CS. Man i feel dissapointed.

Server side smoke, awesome. Grey Block looking smoke not affected by lighting, disappointing.

Edit: They are also changing lighting to make easier spawn peeking? fuck this shit, i need a table to flip.

Keihart

2f9.gif

Jarrod38

Had a game where I went 12 and 3 while my team did Jack squat. The other team had a guy went 14 and 3 and their team lost. Sucks to carry your team and nothing to show.

arimanius

This game seems to have a quitter problem. I can't get a game to complete with even teams. Once a team goes down people quit. I thought lawbreakers was bad when it came to quitters.

So they caved and made smoke boring...
I hate how the changes seem to be going in the direction of making the game more "comfortable" or "convenient" instead of fixing real problems.

Next you know they'll take out the HDR like effect from dark to bright rooms and then make it like CS. Man i feel dissapointed.

Server side smoke, awesome. Grey Block looking smoke not affected by lighting, disappointing.

Edit: They are also changing lighting to make easier spawn peeking? fuck this shit, i need a table to flip.

This is why I am reluctant to think they would, let's say when Siege 2 comes, feature a graphical engine that would allow abilities that take advantage of more advanced lightning system or destruction. No, they won't, because it will massively upset the pro players.

It will maintain a simple visual fidelity and that's that. It's not a tactical shooter. It's an arcade shooter with tactical aesthetics.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Christ, I had that shit where it locked all my operators again. Lost a double overtime game, with only Y1 DLC operators with zero attachments available, and as a bonus after restarting and getting my operators back.... EVERY SINGLE LOADOUT HAS BEEN RESET.

Fuck you Ubi, fuck your Operation Health that fixed nothing. Fuck your deleting the Polish season, and fuck all of us for playing.

nOoblet16

Seems like instead of adjusting the HDR eye adaptation and bloom values they have essentially removed both of them entirely and while that's good in some cases it's also kind of shit for some other cases. Like that video you can see the exit sign have literally no glow/bloom.

Also, this lighting change was enough as it is but removing the piss filter off defender's screen when they go out, is a bit too far.

Also, this lighting change was enough as it is but removing the piss filter off defender's screen when they go out, is a bit too far.

It's even more strange to me when you remember they were considering removing the 2s timer. What prompted them to make another ADVANTAGE to spawn killers?

nOoblet16

Catering this heavily to the E-sport will kill the game honestly. Even high level online matches play absolutely nothing like ESL, so it's not nice when almost the entire playerbase has to suffer because of changes made with E sport players in mind.

Tbh spawn killing is a pretty high-risk activity. It sucks when it happens you the first time, but it's easy to counter.

Don't understand why they can't have a pro league ruleset and map rotation separate from ranked and casuals. Go crazy with your MUH BALANCED MAPS bullshit and antics there.

Giganteus

Catering this heavily to the E-sport will kill the game honestly. Even high level online matches play absolutely nothing like ESL, so it's not nice when almost the entire playerbase has to suffer because of changes made with E sport players in mind.
Agreed. They're killing my will to play this game right now. The past week has been a bit of a shock for me.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Edit:
I picked up a new Mira-trick from the pro-league:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/35634175

Nothing special, but I was already able to kill some players with it. Some of you probably know it already, but: Placing a Mira-window at crouch-height and using her shotgun to destroy the wall above that window. You can even throw your C4 without exposing yourself.

Spawn killing isn't really a viable strategy in pro league. Pretty sure it's banned anyway.
Jumping out of windows is pretty common there.

arimanius

Winning 3 to 1 and for some reason people on my team decide to start TK each other. No issues prior to it. This is in rank. I don't understand people in this game. Is it to get more points?

Disgraced

I actually think ranked mirroring the ESL pool ain't bad. But there's two caveats.

A. I think it should include the new map.

B. To take it step further, I think that the ESL map pool should also include the new map. Most of the pros hate that, but I think it's better for the meta and entertainment value. Worse for the teams individually, healthier for the league overall. Because at the end of the day the league is entertainment.

Variety is the spice of life.

Keihart

Catering this heavily to the E-sport will kill the game honestly. Even high level online matches play absolutely nothing like ESL, so it's not nice when almost the entire player base has to suffer because of changes made with E sport players in mind.

To be honest, my problem with this kind of change isn't that is catering to the competitive scene. It's the fact that the changes don't make the game more balanced or just, it just makes it more "convenient". The game is asymmetrical in design. There should be differences in attack and defend conditions. The lighting change is making day and night superfluous for example.
Smoke grenades have always being great, lighting was not a problem but something you could work with, this changes take nuance out of the game.

Pretty disappointed seeing the dev team betraying design choices that made player learn the game instead of assuming how things worked.

Chaos and improvisation are part of the game, making everything more homogeneous is a mistake.

nOoblet16

Edit:
I picked up a new Mira-trick from the pro-league:
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/TheKeyPit/video/35634175

Nothing special, but I was already able to kill some players with it. Some of you probably know it already, but: Placing a Mira-window at crouch-height and using her shotgun to destroy the wall above that window. You can even throw your C4 without exposing yourself.

Jumping out of windows is pretty common there.
Another common thing (with the same idea) to do is place Mira window on a reinforced wall next to an unreinforced wall. Look through the window then side step and wall bang.

You can even place two windows on top of each other I think, which will allow you to do the same trick as your video except while having protection from reinforced wall while crouched.

Top Bottom