• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
despite all the evidence showing black people are given longer sentences in comparison to white people?

Speaking of, here's sources for people that'll ask for them:
Slate
ACLU

I personally see this as an intersection of gender, race and social status in all but race is absolutely often among the factors that lead to disparities like this.

Mathieran

Banned
I like the Mom's letter. She points out a bunch of struggles he's going to have for the rest of his life that I hadn't considered. Still not a good sentence though.

Although the worst part of the letter where she is saying "why HIM!?" That part is so wrong. I don't think anyone in his whole family has even considered that it is even partially him to blame. He's going to go on himself deflecting the blame and nothing will be learned.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Look at the sentence between the parts you've bolder.

The emphasis is insulting to the other victims of Brock's rape.

"I have not decorated the house nor have I hung anything on the walls."

You're going to have to explain that that one.

despite all the evidence showing black people are given longer sentences in comparison to white people?

As a hypothetical, if white people committed more non-violent crimes and blacks committed more violent crimes, what do you think we'd see in average sentencing? In order to see the association between race you'd need to compare the same crime and stratify by race of perp and victim.

Keri

Can we not lose sight of the fact this is an example of society blaming the victims of rape and devaluing their experiences and the severity of their victimization? To argue over how this is about race or wealth (without mentioning the above) seems like just another example of the problem... It's fine to talk about other contributing factors and issues, but to conclusively say: "This is about [insert issue that has nothing to do with rape culture]." Is a little insulting.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Can we not lose sight of the fact this is an example of society blaming the victims of rape and devaluing their experiences and the severity of their victimization? To argue over how this is about race or wealth (without mentioning the above) seems like just another example of the problem... It's fine to talk about other contributing factors and issues, but to conclusively say: "This is about [insert issue that has nothing to do with rape culture]." Is a little insulting.

Huh.

Keri

I'm responding to these, from the last page:

Hell yes it's about race.

This is not about race. This is about wealth and social status.

When we've seen black people given sentences twice as long for simply having drugs in there possession? yea I'm inclined to believe it's about race

I'm sure none of these posters meant it this way...but no mention of rape culture or how this is an example of an overreaching issue that affects (mostly) women. It reads like rape culture still doesn't matter and the real issue is something else entirely. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't want to see this issue buried.

Keri is saying not to lose sight that along with whatever biases exist in peoples minds, the is also a culture built in society that tends toward outcomes like this. i.e. the fact that many in society often see rape as the fault of the female victim for her behavior rather than the perp's own decisions is just as big of a factor as whether the perp had enough status to be seen as a "good kid", enough wealth to be legally protected or could be easily sympathized with by a jury or judge because of their skin color etc.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I'm sure none of these posters meant it this way...but no mention of rape culture or how this is an example of an overreaching issue that affects (mostly) women. It reads like rape culture still doesn't matter and the real issue is something else entirely. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't want to see this issue buried.

Keri is saying not to lose sight that along with whatever biases exist in peoples minds, the is also a culture built in society that tends toward outcomes like this. i.e. the fact that many in society often see rape as the fault of the victim rather than the perp is just as big of a factor as whether the perp had enough status to be seen as a "good kid" or wealth to be legally protected etc.

Ah. Yes. Not a sociologist or whoever would study this but I was under the impression all of those were referring to the sentencing itself. You talking about the judge?

Keri

Keri is saying not to lose sight that along with whatever biases exist in peoples minds, the is also a culture built in society that tends toward outcomes like this. i.e. the fact that many in society often see rape as the fault of the female victim for her behavior rather than the perp's own decisions is just as big of a factor as whether the perp had enough status to be seen as a "good kid" or wealth to be legally protected etc.

Yes, exactly! Thank you. I absolutely think that race and wealth are factors in sentencing, but underneath these factors, is the always present idea that rape victims are really the ones responsible for their victimization. If the crime was taken seriously in the first place, there might be more consistency in sentencing, but since it's not, it becomes simply a means for other prejudices to play out: If the perpetrator is the "right" someone, they get a slap on the wrist. If it's the "wrong" someone, it's suddenly becomes an opportunity to act out other biases. I just don't want to see us accidentally ignore this fact, with the way we choose to speak about these issues.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If the crime was taken seriously in the first place, there might be more consistency in sentencing, but since it's not, it becomes simply a means for other prejudices to play out: If the perpetrator is the "right" someone, they get a slap on the wrist. If it's the "wrong" someone, it's suddenly becomes an opportunity to act out other biases. I just don't want to see us accidentally ignore this fact, with the way we choose to speak about these issues.

I'm not sure how you could ever achieve this. Not when there are so many other factors that can impact sentencing, some of which might even been not known, observable or measurable.

Keri

I'm not sure how you could ever achieve this. Not when there are so many other factors that can impact sentencing, some of which might even been not known, observable or measurable.

That's true, but the range wouldn't span between, basically no punishment and 20 years. If the crime was taken more seriously, there wouldn't be the option of giving little to no punishment to wealthy criminals, white criminals or those with prosperous athletic careers. The sentences for those individuals would still be significant. If the crime were taken more seriously, there wouldn't be as much of an opportunity to express those other prejudices.

You're right though, that the only way to get complete consistency, is to destroy those other prejudices as well. So, it's absolutely true that all of these issues are important.

JackDT

So he left the scene and then came back to take pictures and post them to a group chat named 'Bonessss'. Ugh....

If it was really that routine for him it might not even be the first time. After all he only got caught because two strangers caught him in the act and physically detained him.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Pointless comment. There are literally thousands of people sentenced today for a myriad of crimes that will receive a longer sentence. So what?

Also, this case highlights victim blaming, various privileges of the defendant and the those siding with Brock show they have no sense for wanting to share the blame to the woman for being a woman around Brock as if being a woman or drinking as woman should be consent.

What? Who is siding with the perp? What are you talking about?

Mr. X

Pointless comment. There are literally thousands of people sentenced today for a myriad of crimes that will receive a longer sentence. So what?
It's me taking a jab at the justice system.

What? Who is siding with the perp? What are you talking about?

Did time rewind and his parents, grandparents, childhood friends and random drummer woman never say or type various things saying shit about the way she dressed, drinking around him or sharing some responsibility for getting raped? I might've missed the retcon.

Did time rewind and his parents, grandparents, childhood friends and random drummer woman never say or type various things saying shit about the way she dressed, drinking around him or sharing some responsibility for getting raped? I might've missed the retcon.
Even his high-school counselor wrote a letter in his defense. What an odd question to ask on ANDS's part.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's me taking a jab at the justice system.

What jab? That difference cases for different crimes in front of different judges get different sentencing.

I took your comment to be directed at the thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I think the "it's about race" part is strictly about the lenient sentencing, compared to what black offenders get. You're right however that it's not the crux of the matter.

God, this whole thing is fucking disgusting.

I mean, if you stack it against other cases involving other races, yes. But I dont think this is exclusive to white privilege. Hell, we're dealing with MULTIPLE levels of privilege at this point. Male, White, Social, Wealth, etc.

But you're right in that if he were any other race, this would have been different.

Oh not not exclusive but definitely a huge factor

?

I literally wrote the OP.

Literally the first word in my OP is Rape Culture.

I can, shockingly, talk about more than one thing.

rokkerkory

There's a new article on front of cnn.com telling about the doods past: using hard drugs and running away from cops while boozing on campus... This is just smh... The parents should be ashamed and get jail time as well. If this was my kid, id tell judge to put him hard prison for a few years.

Keri

Literally quoted me.

I know you wrote the OP and that's part of the reason I was so certain the posters I quoted (including you) didn't mean the statements, the way that I read them. But, I still felt that the phrasing risked burying the main issue.

Mr. X

There's a new article on front of cnn.com telling about the doods past: using hard drugs and running away from cops while boozing on campus... This is just smh... The parents should be ashamed and get jail time as well. If this was my kid, id tell judge to put him hard prison for a few years.

He lied so many times, how is he not in trouble for that?

I know you wrote the OP and that's part of the reason I was so certain the posters I quoted (including you) didn't mean the statements, the way that I read them. But, I still felt that the phrasing risked burying the main issue.

We're on page 17, the main issue is clear, has beewn discussed, and will continue to be discussed, talking a side bar about race does not discredit or murk the main issue

DavidDesu

Something I said to my girlfriend when we were talking about this: If this guy was black he'd be doing the maximum possible sentence, absolutely no doubt.

(EDIT: If he survived police custody of course)

Do we know, does the family have links to this judge somehow? The amount he bent over backwards to let this guy off, which is effectively what he's got, is absolutely disgusting. Shows something disturbingly not right here.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Something I said to my girlfriend when we were talking about this: If this guy was black he'd be doing the maximum possible sentence, absolutely no doubt.

(EDIT: If he survived police custody of course)

Do we know, does the family have links to this judge somehow? The amount he bent over backwards to let this guy off, which is effectively what he's got, is absolutely disgusting. Shows something disturbingly not right here.

He didn't "get off." The kid is a felon.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm certain his victim probably doesn't feel that that label alone is sufficient enough.

Nothing's going to be sufficient, but admitting what he did and showing willingness to atone would probably help her deal with it.

Shame his side seem to be more obsessed with the trivial things they've lost.

Felon, registered sex offender, convicted rapist. . . ?

Who gets to walk the streets again and possibly rape again by next school year

Nothing's going to be sufficient, but admitting what he did and showing willingness to atone would probably help her deal with it.

Shame his side seem to be more obsessed with the trivial things they've lost.

No doubt that just acknowledging fault would probably be more helpful for her recovery than a life sentence.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are you fucking serious right now?

His sentence got shortened twice.

For rape.

If he was sentenced he didn't "get off."

lol

Are you seriously defending a currently broken law system?

The individual had a suggestion about what they would do if they were the judge; I offered a suggestion of my own.

Can second guess the judge all day (including the suggestion that he was somehow bought off). However with all the available evidence, he sentenced the Turner to what he thought was appropriate.

One wonders if the sentencing would have been different if the information that is now coming out had actually been entered into evidence I should think so.

Who gets to walk the streets again and possibly rape again by next school year

He would have been walking the streets again period. And I'm not sure what a longer sentence would have done in terms of repeat behavior. Maybe dissuade him?

Keri

We're on page 17, the main issue is clear, has beewn discussed, and will continue to be discussed, talking a side bar about race does not discredit or murk the main issue

We can agree to disagree, but if the phrasing is "this is the issue" (something other than the main issue), I think it does exactly that. I think it's important to discuss how the issues play together, but one of the main problems here is how quick people are to ignore rape culture or to trivialize rape. Because of that, I think it's important that we not let the topic slip from conversation and begin to ignore it ourselves. I get that it seems nitpicky and maybe it is, but the phrasing just bothered me a little.

He would have been walking the streets again period. And I'm not sure what a longer sentence would have done in terms of repeat behavior. Maybe dissuade him?

I'm not sure either. In 20 years of lock up he might change or he might still be a rapist and a monster. I am more than certain though that coddling by way of the justice system and getting out in time to see the next movie he's looking forward to would do even less than nothing to change the behavior of someone who's already remorseless.

If he was sentenced he didn't "get off."

A sentence that is not anywhere near as severe as the offense committed is not proportionate, and proportionate sentencing for crimes is supposed to be the basis of justice administration.

So he absolutely got off easy IMO. He really did.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
We can agree to disagree, but if the phrasing is "this is the issue" (something other than the main issue), I think it does exactly that. I think it's important to discuss how the issues play together, but one of the main problems here is how quick people are to ignore rape culture or to trivialize rape. Because of that, I think it's important that we not let the topic slip from conversation and begin to ignore it ourselves. I get that it seems nitpicky and maybe it is, but the phrasing just bothered me a little.

I don't think anyone here is trivializing the issue (maybe I'm blind). I do think we seem to have shifted over a bit much to the politics of sentencing, as if THAT is the overall/exclusive issue.

Dalek

After reading that CNN article and knowing that that was all court record-that Jusge seems even more corrupt. This guy wasn't simply a drunk fondeler, he was a deliberate sexual predator.

He clearly seems to be a danger to society.

Race is absolutely an issue, this is rule #1 of intersectionality.

Talking about race being an issue is not trivializing rape culture ffs.

Race is also why black women rape victims get less justice btw.

Race within rape culture is 100% a valid line of discussion.

Again this is a 17 page discussion and you decided to focus in on like 5 posts

No one even said it's about race and only race, just that part of the reason he got a light sentence is definitely racial.

Keri

I don't think anyone here is trivializing the issue (maybe I'm blind). I do think we seem to have shifted over a bit much to the politics of sentencing, as if THAT is the overall/exclusive issue.

That's true and obviously conversations naturally shift as they progress. I think I really just took issue with the semi-conclusive phrasing of "this is about [X]," because to me it sounded like, rather than including other issues in the conversation, the phrasing excludes the main on. I'll accept though that I might have been a bit sensitive in my interpretation, because of the nature of the story: A judge essentially trivializing and ignoring the significance of rape.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not sure either. In 20 years of lock up he might change or he might still be a rapist and a monster.

Ha. No way that guy would have lasted more than 5 years. I thought the maximum sentence was 6 years though? Or was that what the prosecution wanted?

My thing with the number of years is at what point does it become arbitrary? 6 months is too low, 20 too high? According to what?

I am more than certain though that coddling by way of the justice system and getting out in time to see the next movie he's looking forward to would do even less than nothing to change the behavior of someone who's already remorseless.

Entirely possible. Get right back to the previous point, would 20 years address the issue?

A sentence that is not anywhere near as severe as the offense committed is not proportionate, and proportionate sentencing for crimes is supposed to be the basis of justice administration.

So he absolutely got off easy IMO. He really did.

Then we should remove that power from the judges. However, who is going to go for that? The judge made the call here to adjust based on what would you call it, leniency please? It may be the opinion that it failed here, but is it failing everywhere?

That's true and obviously conversations naturally shift as they progress. I think I really just took issue with the semi-conclusive phrasing of "this is about [X]," because to me it sounded like, rather than including other issues in the conversation, the phrasing excludes the main on. I'll accept though that I might have been a bit sensitive in my interpretation, because of the nature of the story: A judge essentially trivializing and ignoring the significance of rape.

I'm not saying I disagree, but do you think it's possible he weighed the crime, the perp and the victim in his decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom