• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rapist gets 6 months because prison sentence would have a severe impact on him

Status
Not open for further replies.
The number of posts in this thread either outwardly hope for or alluding to Mr. Turner being either raped or roughed up in prison is disturbing on its own. It's unbelievable that people literally wishing rape on someone haven't been banned or even called out.

Sometimes the legal system fails. In this case at least the defendant was convicted.

The vast bulk of those people have ban. Not sure why you are pivoting to this point.

Sometimes the legal system fails. In this case at least the defendant was convicted.

Naw dog. None of this shit. This dude had everything against him and he was coddled in the end. This isn't justice and I refuse to be satisfied with shrugging my shoulders and saying "sometimes the system fails". Of course it's a fucking failure but it's not a failure of a stray dice roll. It's a failure because of the implicit investment and efforts of several people to be kind to someone who is clearly a monster who shouldn't be allowed on the streets. I'm pissed at him, his coddling family/friends, and his judge and I'm gonna stay pissed.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
The number of posts in this thread either outwardly hope for or alluding to Mr. Turner being either raped or roughed up in prison is disturbing on its own. It's unbelievable that people literally wishing rape on someone haven't been banned or even called out.

edit: to note faceless007's comments below are acknowledged.

??

From what I've seen, the bans have been swift and just for those types of posts.

This appeal better backfire.

He has a legal right, but he raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and should be punished for the monster rapist that he is. It always feels like justice is a joke for the privileged.

FyreWulff

If you think he's garbage for appealing a conviction, I sincerely hope neither you nor anyone you know ever have to appeal a conviction.

you're completely missing the part where he admitted to it and said he felt remorse

and is now trying to appeal

doesn't sound remorseful at all and now the victim will have to come back into court and go through it all again

Also USA Swimming has banned him for life

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-swimming/index.html

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Perfectly fine, perfectly normal."

Seriously what is going on on campuses? Is this a new phenomenon in our young men these days, or are we just now paying attention to it.

Also I'm curious what the judge was thinking. I mean do you show compassion to an animal? Or do you make an example out of him. Is the punishment as much for the victim as the crime?

Tigress

you're completely missing the part where he admitted to it and said he felt remorse

and is now trying to appeal

doesn't sound remorseful at all and now the victim will have to come back into court and go through it all again

Also USA Swimming has banned him for life

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/us/sexual-assault-brock-turner-swimming/index.html

Is he trying to appeal after he got off with a slap in the wrist?

Really?

Well, if it is any comfort to people apparently his family has gone broke and is 250k in debt in legal fees trying to defend him (though that may have been something I read here. I'm tired and can't remember if I got that nugget off of reddit or here).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is he trying to appeal after he got off with a slap in the wrist?

Really?

Well, if it is any comfort to people apparently his family has gone broke and is 250k in debt in legal fees trying to defend him (though that may have been something I read here. I'm tired and can't remember if I got that nugget off of reddit or here).

He's gotta register as a sex offender so that will haunt him for the rest of his life even if the crime doesn't, not too mention anyone who ever deals with him has to just put his name into google before realizing who he is and what he did so unless he changes his name, abandons his old life and gets some serious plastic surgery he's not really going to be able to get away from this. Then again he's gotten away with so much so far so who know's

PSqueak

Banned
He's gotta register as a sex offender so that will haunt him for the rest of his life even if the crime doesn't, not too mention anyone who ever deals with him has to just put his name into google before realizing who he is and what he did so unless he changes his name, abandons his old life and gets some serious plastic surgery he's not really going to be able to get away from this. Then again he's gotten away with so much so far so who know's

Tho, even if he changes his name, wouldn't the new name still be registered as a sex offender and he'd be forced by law to present as such?

qcf x2

This appeal better backfire.

He has a legal right, but he raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and should be punished for the monster rapist that he is. It always feels like justice is a joke for the privileged.

Which means it's a joke entirely. Justice cannot be inequal. On topic and for the record, this entire case disgusts me, but it's not the first or last time it will happen, for a myriad of reasons related to "the way it is."

TirMcGrey

Most of my co-workers were livid about this, didn't matter what skin tone they were either, most agreed that this is pretty much a perversion of "justice" we've seen these last couple of months. I work on a flightline too so, even the ones who are in the "I don't care about anything outside of work" thought it was awful.

Complete

Banned
Reading this thread makes me realize both just how bad the American justice system is and how bad most Americans' ideas of how criminals should be treated are.

I keep hoping one day they'll see the light and start working towards the Scandinavian model instead of this blatantly inhumane for-profit bullshit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.

At any rate, that aside, this is pretty much a textbook case of white privilege and rape culture rolled into one. An ugly display of humanity, to say the least.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Reading this thread makes me realize both just how bad the American justice system is and how bad most Americans' ideas of how criminals should be treated are.

I keep hoping one day they'll see the light and start working towards the Scandinavian model instead of this blatantly inhumane for-profit bullshit, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon.

At any rate, that aside, this is pretty much a textbook case of white privilege and rape culture rolled into one. An ugly display of humanity, to say the least.

You've extrapolated America's opinions on the justice system and the incarceration of convicts from a video game forum. Good lord I would love to see that model.

I'm also curious as to what you think the guys sentencing should have been given your Scandanavian sensibilities; I mean Breivik got about 3 months for each life he took, so I guess that's a good minimum to start with.

You've extrapolated America's opinions on the justice system and the incarceration of convicts from a video game forum. Good lord I would love to see that model.

I'm also curious as to what you think the guys sentencing should have been given your Scandanavian sensibilities; I mean Breivik got about 3 months for each life he took, so I guess that's a good minimum to start with.

A very left wing and educated video game forum. Think about how much more severe the opinions are in the general american populace.

And Breivik isn't getting out.

People pointing fingers at America should look at their own country, in my countrye the laws were ridiculously outdated and even after doing a reform recently they still are far too lash.

Before that reform rapists all had access to electronic tags and house arrest. They could go to work unhindered even often.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
A very left wing and educated video game forum. Think about how much more severe the opinions are in the general american populace.

While the American public wants safety (who the hell doesn't), a good majority of them also think the prison system as is needs major reworking (this is obviously along party lines). It's cases like this where we lose our shit and demand even more justice.

And Breivik isn't getting out.

Wasn't he found competent to stand trial? I can't imagine them keeping him locked up if hes found sane. Maybe things his situation has changed.

In any case I was just using it as an example of where the opposite system can fail spectacularly.

Brevik will never leave jail

Wasn't he found competent to stand trial? I can't imagine them keeping him locked up if hes found sane. Maybe things his situation has changed.

In any case I was just using it as an example of where the opposite system can fail spectacularly.

Protective custody will keep him imprisoned past his sentence, unless he's proven no danger to society.

He went to court over human right violations.

diaspora

Won't stop him from doing other things.

A 6+ year sentence would've made it easier to stop him from swimming and more.

So? He's banned from participating in a sport he could easily made a career of, the fact that at least something of his is ruined is a good thing.

I just saw the letter from his mother. I understand that a parent may say some irrational things after finding out that their child is a rapist but man, someone needs to tell them to shut the fuck up.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I just saw the letter from his mother. I understand that a parent may say some irrational things after finding out that their child is a rapist but man, someone needs to tell them to shut the fuck up.

That's. . .not how parenting works. I mean honestly how many parents and/or family members pop and and say "Yea. Totally did it. I'd give him 10 years if you ask me."

kirblar

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/nation-world/national/article82960947.html
“Think of the extraordinary potential he has to be a voice in society and speak out against the binge drinking and sexual promiscuity that defines culture on college campuses,” Caroline Turner wrote. “His dreams were shattered in the course of an evening, but every action he took could have been prevented.”
This is past "made a mistake" territory and into something completely gross.

That's. . .not how parenting works. I mean honestly how many parents and/or family members pop and and say "Yea. Totally did it. I'd give him 10 years if you ask me."

I'm not saying they need to ask the judge to go hard on him, but no one needs to hear this bullshit.
exerpt1.jpg

Not sure if this is old, I searched and didn't find anything. Apparently he took pictures of her and sent them to a friend while raping her.

“We were shocked, and stunned by the outcome and left to the only thing we could do — hold each other and cry. We still are in disbelief,” Turner’s grandparents, Carolyn and Richard Bradfield, wrote. “Brock is the only person being held accountable for the actions of other irresponsible adults.”

are they fuckin for real?

malfcn

I'm not sure if he is safer in jail or on the street. There are enough people that hate him that his life is over. It should be spent locked up far longer than 3 months. What a joke.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
She said she hasn’t been able to decorate a new home because she can’t bear to put up happy photos of her family.
Truly, this is the real tragedy here. She can't decorate anymore! The humanity.

Fucking HELL do I despise these people holy shit FUCK YOU

Truly, this is the real tragedy here. She can't decorate anymore! The humanity.

Fucking HELL do I despise these people holy shit FUCK YOU

It's kinda insane to see that sentence written out because the only way I can see someone straight faced putting it down on paper in a situation like this is if they literally valued their own comfort above the well being of another human. That literally sounds like something that only an over the top cruel rich matriarch would say.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I'm not saying they need to ask the judge to go hard on him, but no one needs to hear this bullshit.

His story about raping her didn't change. Silver lining.

I mean I'm not going to throw stones at the parents; they either have that "blindspot" about their son or they spiral even further. Their son is either an unrepentant rapist or "let's do our daily mental gymnastics to where he wasn't even going to Stanford!"

Also sounds like they aren't wealthy so, yea. That kid is (rightly) funked. Thankfully, he's got about half a century to think on it.

It will be the former.

Something about not getting a PS3.

"Perfectly fine, perfectly normal."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom