• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Kinsei

Banned
Yes, I keep thinking that HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH WORLD and HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH UNIVERSE need a stand alone sequel. It was so epic :D I remember playing it with friends, lot of fun !

Whoa, UNIVERSE? Was that part of the DLC or something?

Yes, I keep thinking that HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH WORLD and HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH UNIVERSE need a stand alone sequel. It was so epic :D I remember playing it with friends, lot of fun !

Yes!! I was just watching a Youtube video today and got some good feels back haha. I'd LOVE a standalone arcade sized title to be released, but alas, the chance of that happening is like not even 1% haha.

Man, Lunar Jetman is a fucked up game. It's so random. I can barely destroy one base but then just got 15th in the world on Snapshot 5. Probably because nobody is playing. I have no idea how you are supposed to get that milestone for level 10, seems crazy.

Kinsei

Banned
Man, Lunar Jetman is a fucked up game. It's so random. I can barely destroy one base but then just got 15th in the world on Snapshot 5. Probably because nobody is playing. I have no idea how you are supposed to get that milestone for level 10, seems crazy.

Here's how I got that milestone. Pause > Options > Cheats> Infinite Live On.

I am, only thing putting me off buying it is apparently some of the games frames drop into single digits

Very solid point. I have faith some improvements will be made, just judging on the quick turnaround for the control issues and launching issues they solved in the latest patch apparently.

crpav

Here is my take and opinion/review of the game.

I got it because first of all $30 for 30 games is a no brainer. When a good amount of them are games I grew up playing and loving that adds to the day one purchase. R.C. Pro Am, Battletoads and Snake Rattle and Roll are 3 NES games I loved from my childhood.

Add on the many games I have not played but want to then the value is throught the roof. Now I understand that there are issues due to emulation and whatever but still the overall package is amazing.

I will admit that some of the strange old games don't grab me and I didn't like them but with the games I do want to play it's still a great game.

itsc4z

Neo Member
I have played through Blast Corps, Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, and several Spectrum games 100% now. None have hit "single digits" FPS.

Yeah, It is mainly some of the 360 ones from a quick Google (Banjo, Perfect Dark, Conker (N64). I am popping into my local town tomorrow after work and will probably pick the game up, mainly to play Battletoads as I've never played it and anything else is a bonus.

klaus

Yes!! I was just watching a Youtube video today and got some good feels back haha. I'd LOVE a standalone arcade sized title to be released, but alas, the chance of that happening is like not even 1% haha.
That would be awesome. Oh and the music is just soooo good :)

ss_lemonade

I am, only thing putting me off buying it is apparently some of the games frames drop into single digits
Haven't tried Nuts & Bolts yet but the only game I've seen dropping crazy amount of frames is Conker. My wife was watching me play the other day and was starting to get a headache from the low framerate

Fletcher

So what's the consensus on this now that it's been out a few days? I'm really just interested to re-play their N64 games right now.

Should I wait for patches or something?

Edwardo

Can't wait to play. I have to wait til tomorrow even though I pre-ordered it. My payment info got messed up somewhere along the way.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
So what's the consensus on this now that it's been out a few days? I'm really just interested to re-play their N64 games right now.

If you have GCU at bestbuy it's great for $24. Although there are 30 games, there are a lot of old crappy games from the ZX spectrum. The snapshot challenge mode makes playing through those old games a lot more palatable. I'm enjoying my time so far but if you don't have that nostalgia for their games you can safely avoid it

RK128

The collection as a whole is a great package with some small issues that look like will be patched in a soon:
-The Spectrum/PC games run well and support the rewind feature
-The NES games have some sound issues but otherwise play as well as the Spectrum/PC games
-Battletoads Arcade looks to be a fantastic port of the original arcade version :D
-Some N64 games use an emulator and run in unlocked 30FPS (Blast Corps, Conker, Jet Force Gemini) or 60FPS (Killer Instinct Gold) while others use 360 emulation to run the XBLA remasters that run in 1080p/30FPS (Banjo 1 and 2) or 60FPS (Perfect Dark). Blast Crops had (still has?) crashing issues and Conker has inverted camera controls but Jet Force got patched with a modern shooter control scheme that reportedly plays better then the original pre-patched version
-Grabbed by the Goulies is a complete remaster; running at 1080p/60FPS and that in turn leading the combat feeling better then it did on the Xbox.
-The 360 games have mixed emulation; the XBLA ports run very well reportedly (Banjo 1 and 2 run at 30FPS, while Perfect Dark and Jet Pack Re-Fuled run at 60FPS) while the 360 games themselves either run well (the Viva Pinata games, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero) or have some slight issues (Nuts and Bolts has slowdown in Showdown Town (the hub) but the rest of the game runs about the same as the original 360 version).

My games from my childhood, all in one place. R.C. Pro Am, Snake, Banjo, and the bonus being I never had a 360 to play Nuts 'n' fkn' Bolts. Can't wait till pay day.

EBE

so has it been verified that Perfect Dark now outputs at full 1080p resolution? I still remember the digital foundry article stating it did not.

what about the Banjo games?

hawk2025

Banjo and Banjo Tooie do not run at 60fps.

I don't think Killer Instinct gold does either, but I haven't tried the rare replay version yet.

No idea where you are getting this information.

ss_lemonade

The collection as a whole is a great package with some small issues that look like will be patched in a soon:
-The Spectrum/PC games run well and support the rewind feature
-The NES games have some sound issues but otherwise play as well as the Spectrum/PC games
-Battletoads Arcade looks to be a fantastic port of the original arcade version :D
-Some N64 games use an emulator and run in 30FPS (Blast Corps, Conker, Jet Force Gemini) or 60FPS (Killer Instinct Gold) while others use 360 emulation to run the XBLA remasters that run in 1080p/60FPS (Banjo 1 and 2, Perfect Dark). Blast Crops had (still has?) crashing issues and Conker has inverted camera controls but Jet Force got patched with a modern shooter control scheme that reportedly plays better then the original pre-patched version
-Grabbed by the Goulies is a complete remaster; running at 1080p/60FPS and that in turn leading the combat feeling better then it did on the Xbox.
-The 360 games have mixed emulation; the XBLA ports run very well reportedly (Banjo 1 and 2 run at 60FPS, as does Perfect Dark and Jet Pack Re-Fuled) while the 360 games themselves either run well (the Viva Pinata games, Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero) or have some slight issues (Nuts and Bolts has slowdown in Showdown Town (the hub) but the rest of the game runs about the same as the original 360 version).
None of the Banjo games are 60 fps, and n64 games like Conker (and Jet Force maybe? Haven't tried it yet) can drop a lot of frames and are not stable at 30, though the original n64 releases might have performed like that too.

I hope they release a patch that improves n64 emulation performance. I've seen retroarch with whatever core they use for n64 emulation allow you to do that so it should be possible.

RK128

Really? Okay, I guess the XBLA versions just made the games run at a locked 30FPS instead of a unlocked 30FPS like they ran at on the N64.

Will update my post with that information, so thanks for the heads up Hawk2025 :).

None of the Banjo games are 60 fps, and n64 games like Conker (and Jet Force maybe? Haven't tried it yet) can drop a lot of frames and are not stable at 30, though the original n64 releases might have performed like that too.

I hope they release a patch that improves n64 emulation performance. I've seen retroarch with whatever core they use for n64 emulation allow you to do that so it should be possible.

Edited my post with your and Hawk2025's information so I don't mislead anyone by mistake. Thank you for the heads up Georaldc :).

hawk2025

Of course! Just wanted to make sure no one is disappointed, these are still the currently definitive versions of Banjo. :)

I haven't been able to find confirmation that they do. I was looking for reviews, official press stuff. I assumed it did not so its weird to see so many people say they do.

I can confirm, I played them last night.

ss_lemonade

I haven't been able to find confirmation that they do. I was looking for reviews, official press stuff. I assumed it did not so its weird to see so many people say they do.

They run pretty damn smooth so its possible some people mistake them for running at a higher framerate. I have seen videos though where the XBLA versions of Banjo exhibit really random slowdown in the most random of areas. Hopefully just a bug

Polygons are sharp and the UI has large chunky pixels. It looks way nicer than DK64 on Wii U but the frame rates seem the same as what you'd find on a real n64.

I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Jet Force Gemini runs at 60, and what looks like 1080p, and Banjo Tooie looks like it runs the same as the X360 version (looked like 60, but could be 30 I suppose). I didn't notice a single frame drop in either, and seemed vastly better than the N64 versions from what I remember. Perhaps Banjo 1 and Conker run worse?

RK128

I don't think Killer Instinct gold does either, but I haven't tried the rare replay version yet.

No idea where you are getting this information.

I just assumed the frame rates (as Killer Instinct Gold is a fighting game....so 60FPS is something you have to do in making it feel smooth) were the case, but I'm sorry if I got my information wrong Hawk :(.

I edited my past post so I hope that lines up with the performance of the games in Rare Replay now and if it doesn't, I will delete the post if its an issue :).

hawk2025

I just assumed the frame rates (as Killer Instinct Gold is a fighting game....so 60FPS is something you have to do in making it feel smooth) were the case, but I'm sorry if I got my information wrong Hawk :(.

I edited my past post so I hope that lines up with the performance of the games in Rare Replay now and if it doesn't, I will delete the post if its an issue :).

Sorry, I did not mean to sound combative, it's a very useful thing to summarize all the info we have :)

Syriel

All the N64 games are upscaled to 1080p but its different for specific games.
-Conker, Blast Crops, Killer Instinct Gold and Jet Force Gemini are run on a emulator and that is upscaled to 1080p. Games have border and only JFG has a wide-screen option. Controls for Jet Force Gemini (everything in its controls) got updated with a recent patch to make the former control better and the latter feel more like a modern shooter.
-Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark are the XBLA versions (60FPS running at 1080p) with achievements

While it is true only JFG has a widescreen option (that's because the original ROM has a widescreen option) the borders on the other games are optional. You can always shut off the borders and run the game in full 4:3, with only pillarbox bars.

Upscaled from the n64's resolution?

It's still all the original content. So outputting at 1080, but the assets and models are untouched.

Speaking of JFG, how is the widescreen? Is it any good or should I stick with the borders?

Game supported it OOTB. No reason not to use it.

If you have GCU at bestbuy it's great for $24. Although there are 30 games, there are a lot of old crappy games from the ZX spectrum. The snapshot challenge mode makes playing through those old games a lot more palatable. I'm enjoying my time so far but if you don't have that nostalgia for their games you can safely avoid it

The old games aren't all crappy. :p

PooBone

Banjo Tooie won't launch. From the Rare Replay wrapper it says "This xbox 360 game is not installed" which it is. If I try to boot it from the Games & Apps section I get an error that says "That didn't work for some reason" (hell of an error message) and if I try to uninstall the game from my HDD, it does nothing. Just sits there like I told it to do nothing. What's the deal?

Also, Jetpac Refuelled continually gives me an error that it's updating and installation stopped at 100%. If I reboot it usually fixes it, but it's not fixed the Banjo Tooie issue.

Also, the first level of Blast Corps freezes every single time I try to play it.

Just waiting for patches.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Im lucky to not have one crash in blast corps. My xbox isny even a week old tho

Syriel

Banjo Tooie won't launch. From the Rare Replay wrapper it says "This xbox 360 game is not installed" which it is. If I try to boot it from the Games & Apps section I get an error that says "That didn't work for some reason" (hell of an error message) and if I try to uninstall the game from my HDD, it does nothing. Just sits there like I told it to do nothing. What's the deal?

Also, Jetpac Refuelled continually gives me an error that it's updating and installation stopped at 100%. If I reboot it usually fixes it, but it's not fixed the Banjo Tooie issue.

Also, the first level of Blast Corps freezes every single time I try to play it.

Just waiting for patches.

When you reboot are you just powering on/off (going into standby) or are you doing a full reboot via the settings menu? Make sure you try the latter as that usually resolves any issues around not being able to install/uninstall something.

.J.

Banned
Any XB1 owner on the fence buying this? And why?

I'm still amazed at the price personally

I am. Honestly, most of the preNES games hold no interest for me. I don't care about the Killer Instinct Gold, and I already own the games I would care for on Xbox gold.

So for me, it's a 30 dollar price tag to play around with Blast Corps and the first two BK games.

hawk2025

I am. Honestly, most of the preNES games hold no interest for me. I don't care about the Killer Instinct Gold, and I already own the games I would care for on Xbox gold.

So for me, it's a 30 dollar price tag to play around with Blast Corps and the first two BK games.

...I'm not seeing the issue? :p

LQX

Man Grabbed By The Ghoulies looks great. Did it look that good on the XBox? Too bad it sucks and Chivens popping up every few seconds is annoying.

Man Grabbed By The Ghoulies looks great. Did it look that good on the XBox? Too bad it sucks and Chivens popping up every few seconds is annoying.

It looked good, but 1080p really makes the game shine. I was very impressed how amazing it looks. I'm still hoping Conker: Live and Reloaded somehow makes it over as DLC.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The comments of the last few pages of this thread seem really positive and people seem to be enjoying it. Hearing some offhand comments in other threads here made me think the game was a disaster. I literally came in to see what went wrong.

daTRUballin

It looked good, but 1080p really makes the game shine. I was very impressed how amazing it looks. I'm still hoping Conker: Live and Reloaded somehow makes it over as DLC.

Does GbtG really look that amazing? I thought it already looked good on the Xbox as it was? Is there that much of a difference?

Top Bottom