• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Timu

Only Arcade, which took me probably about 100 continues to finish. Damn bosses are sponges, especially when you're playing by yourself. Even the big dudes (who you need to punch in the dick) are tough to take down.
I refuse to believe that!!! Also the bosses are easy except for the Stage 5 one(and a bit of the last one).

Does GbtG really look that amazing? I thought it already looked good on the Xbox as it was? Is there that much of a difference?

It's like the difference of seeing WIndwaker on GCN compared to Dolphin (PC), IMO. It's a huge difference because of the art style holding up so nicely.

munroe

How are people finding the new control scheme for JFG? (You can find it in the rare replay options)

I find it that it is easier to aim, still a difficult game though. Just been thinking back to my N64 days playing this, I remember or I think I remember correctly, that I was able to control it really well with the N64 controller. It's the same with Perfect Dark, I remember being able to aim really well with the stick and c-buttons, have we just become so accustomed to the more modern controls that any other control scheme we just suck at?

I might have to test this, I've still got my old N64 lying around somewhere.

Also is anyone else having problems updating Jetpac refuelled? Mine just keeps saying installation stopped.

I played it for the first time last night, and I used rewind like there's no tomorrow, but I got stuck at the third rat race to the bomb. Jesus, you literally have to be pixel perfect to stand a chance.
I always thought Battletoads in Battlemaniacs was hard but this game is insane. Even with rewind.

I refuse to believe that!!! Also the bosses are easy except for the Stage 5 one(and a bit of the last one).

Eh, part of it is that once I learned you can just continue with no penalty, I stopped giving a shit about getting hit. I mean I was still trying to dodge and stuff, but still died a ton. It's tough.

OrangeOak

Nuts & Bolts has some really bad sound and framerate issues. It also looks somehow more aliased then on x360.
Other than that collection is really amazing. I hope Kameo works better than N&B though

goldenpp72

Hearing all the praise for GBTG port job makes me really hope conker gets a similar treatment. It's one of the most visually impressive games ever designed in my mind.

Kinsei

Banned
Nuts & Bolts has some really bad sound and framerate issues. It also looks somehow more aliased then on x360.
Other than that collection is really amazing. I hope Kameo works better than N&B though

I hear Kameo works really well.

I believe the problems with the 360 games are due to the backwards compat, so we may have to wait until it is out of beta for them to be fixed.

MrMephistoX

Man Grabbed By The Ghoulies looks great. Did it look that good on the XBox? Too bad it sucks and Chivens popping up every few seconds is annoying.

Makes me hope they get Conker reloaded on there as dlc: imagine what a good game would look like.

Yeah, N&B isn't much fun when it runs so poorly :( I've heard that it's only the town hub that has problems. If that's the case, then it's not too bad.

Viva Piñata runs great at least. I haven't tried Kameo yet.

zorbsie

I am really liking this collection. The latest patch really helps with Jet Force Gemini. It's not perfect but much more playable. I find I hold down LT and it controls like a modern TPS. Sadly you can't jump while holding LT down. Found that out the hard way. :)

JonnyKong

Man the camera and general controls on Conker are really pissing me off. The game is just damn tough. I think I'm still having fun with it, but man I must have had a lot more patience back in the n64 days.

What do I do once I've made the
cow start shitting into the grate? I went to see the dung beetle again but nothing happened

Lothar

Banned
I played it for the first time last night, and I used rewind like there's no tomorrow, but I got stuck at the third rat race to the bomb. Jesus, you literally have to be pixel perfect to stand a chance.

Nah, you just don't know how to do it. You have to hit the rat.

Shame on anyone using rewind on Battletoads. Shame. Man up.

Camjo-Z

So I beat Battletoads. I feel like it's one of those games that people like the idea of more than the actual game itself. Once you get past the first two levels the game doesn't get hard so much as it does cheap. Tons of projectiles from offscreen, blind jumps, races that require exact precision... if you don't already know the level layout, you'll be hitting that rewind button nonstop. Weirdly enough, the final battle against the Dark Queen is actually one of the easiest fights.

That said, it's still pretty fun to play regardless. I hope if Rare's doing a new one they keep the level variety and intensity without resorting to the cheap tricks that drag down the original.

cow start shitting into the grate? I went to see the dung beetle again but nothing happened

Did you... finish the job?

Mr White

Snake RnR is hard as fuck. I mean, even with rewind feature it's almost unbeatable. Can't even kill last boss. Battletoads in comparison is like happy walk.
Never beat last stage in Battletoads, with rewind (or infinite lives) I will finally do that. Love this game so much. And new Battletoads game again heavily hinted in make-of videos (and with amazing model in KI I have very good feeling about it).
Bad fluctuating FPS in some old spectrum games made them really hard to play. Is it that hard to emulate Spectrum?

Lothar

Banned
Man the camera and general controls on Conker are really pissing me off. The game is just damn tough. I think I'm still having fun with it, but man I must have had a lot more patience back in the n64 days.

You have to kill it and then do it a few more times. Whenever you get sick or frustrated on a part in Conker, for some catharsis, look up the Conker Let's Play videos on YouTube made by the creators. It's hilarious to see how annoyed they get by their own game.

http://youtu.be/5iwVY2aPFgo
http://youtu.be/LlihN-SZaB0

They actually gave up on the bull part and didn't go back to it again for months.

Fucking turbo fucking tunnel.

Damn it.

What are you having problems with? For most of the stage, it's the same up down up down pattern. Don't wiggle the D-Pad around when you're making jumps. Once you hit a ramp or press A, don't touch the D-pad until you land.

RK128

I looked over the game list and decided to look up the soundtracks of a few games...and man did some surprise me :D.

Perfect Dark Zero has a great score that really sells the Spy theme its trying to pull off. The very first mission has this track playing that sounds really great to me (the piano elements mixed with the techno bits sounds fantastic to me :D).

Kameo I listened to in the past (as the composer for that is helping Grant and David with Yooka-Laylee) and I love the fantasy score they pull with that game. Really fits the Zelda-style sound they are trying to pull off.

The Viva Pinata games are some of the best work Grant has ever done (next to his Banjo scores) :'). This track in particular really tugs on the heart strings with how beautiful it sounds and how it feels like a heartfelt good-bye in a few ways.

And while not part of this collection David Wise's score on Star Fox Adventures is very good as well :). It has this mixture of Zelda-like adventure while also having this stone-age hook as well. This track could be lifted right out of a Donkey Kong game with the heavy beats it has for example :). This next track sounds like something ripped right out of Zelda to me too; sounds really great :').

Rare has such fantastic scores with their games and I really can't wait for what new tracks Sea of Thieves brings :D.

I still refuse to accept clinger winger is beatable

pause and change directions on the corners, cheezy but even if one isn't very good at that section it's easy that way.

Getting the timing down is a little tough when you're learning, you just have to be quick and precise.

Berordn

Yeah, N&B isn't much fun when it runs so poorly :( I've heard that it's only the town hub that has problems. If that's the case, then it's not too bad.

Viva Piñata runs great at least. I haven't tried Kameo yet.

It's more than just Showdown Town, there's audio hitches and more slowdown in the game worlds than there was on 360.

All the other games are fine though, oddly enough. Kameo is (as far as I can see) flawless, and even though I never played it before I don't have any issues with Viva Pinata.

RK128

It's more than just Showdown Town, there's audio hitches and more slowdown in the game worlds than there was on 360.

All the other games are fine though, oddly enough. Kameo is (as far as I can see) flawless, and even though I never played it before I don't have any issues with Viva Pinata.

Nuts and Bolts was a later 360 game in comparison to the other Xbox Rare games in the collection.....so I could see why the BC Engine having issues running the game (it is physics based, so that could also be straining the BC Engine as well).

I'm sure Rare will be releasing another patch that sorts out the issues Nuts and Bolts is having on the X1 or that once BC officially rolls out this fall (as they don't want the BC games having issues on the X1 hardware).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Popped the disc in last night to an explosion of installs and messages that my internal HDD couldn't handle it, so adjustments were made with my external to accommodate the 360 titles.

Probably a bad idea playing while I'm tired, but my first impressions...

- Presentation is fantastic
- Battletoads Arcade sucks. I'll give it another go when I'm not as sleepy.
- Old Killer Instinct games suck. How on Earth were these popular?

Going to play one of the better games tonight, most likely Jet Force Gemini. Hopefully I'm not as tired when I do so.

Still an amazing value for the money.

daTRUballin

I looked over the game list and decided to look up the soundtracks of a few games...and man did some surprise me :D.

Perfect Dark Zero has a great score that really sells the Spy theme its trying to pull off. The very first mission has this track playing that sounds really great to me (the piano elements mixed with the techno bits sounds fantastic to me :D).

Kameo I listened to in the past (as the composer for that is helping Grant and David with Yooka-Laylee) and I love the fantasy score they pull with that game. Really fits the Zelda-style sound they are trying to pull off.

The Viva Pinata games are some of the best work Grant has ever done (next to his Banjo scores) :'). This track in particular really tugs on the heart strings with how beautiful it sounds and how it feels like a heartfelt good-bye in a few ways.

And while not part of this collection David Wise's score on Star Fox Adventures is very good as well :). It has this mixture of Zelda-like adventure while also having this stone-age hook as well. This track could be lifted right out of a Donkey Kong game with the heavy beats it has for example :). This next track sounds like something ripped right out of Zelda to me too; sounds really great :').

Rare has such fantastic scores with their games and I really can't wait for what new tracks Sea of Thieves brings :D.

Interestingly enough, Bedtime Story is actually Grant Kirkhope's favorite song out of all the songs he composed. :p

Cleared Mumbo's Mountain last night in BK1 for the first time in a solid 16 years. Going to play through the pirate world tonight. For all the things that have aged about this game, the soundtrack isn't one of them. Hope it holds my attention until I'm able to get 100% completion and achievements.

daTRUballin

Cleared Mumbo's Mountain last night in BK1 for the first time in a solid 16 years. Going to play through the pirate world tonight. For all the things that have aged about this game, the soundtrack isn't one of them. Hope it holds my attention until I'm able to get 100% completion and achievements.

You're not having fun with the gameplay? :/

You're not having fun with the gameplay? :/
It's still fun, which is probably aided by the fact that games of this type don't get made anymore. I enjoyed my time with the first world last night. My biggest complaint was traveling back to Mumbo's hut after grabbing the jiggy above the world entrance, which is minor. Camera problems are expected when talking about N64 3D platformers, but it's definitely improved over the original release.

aro52

I, too, haven't touched it in a solid 15+ years, and think it holds up pretty well. The only thing that bothers me, and it's minor, is not having full control of the camera with the right stick.

Camjo-Z

My biggest complaint was traveling back to Mumbo's hut after grabbing the jiggy above the world entrance, which is minor.

You don't have to go back to Mumbo's hut to transform back into Banjo, just leave the area and eventually the shaman magic will wear off.

Just the ones that originally had it, so PD XBLA and PDZero

All the 360 games have some online multiplayer functionality (except for Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie).

Syriel

I, too, haven't touched it in a solid 15+ years, and think it holds up pretty well. The only thing that bothers me, and it's minor, is not having full control of the camera with the right stick.

That is a design decision due to performance reasons. By limiting what was drawn on screen, performance could be kept up. If you could look freely, the lack of skybox textures would be obvious and the framerate would take a hit if you looked at a busy scene.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Ugh. I tried to continue playing Kameo today and it just keeps telling me my disc may be dirty when I launch it and I can't do anything. I played it for hours yesterday just fine.

That is a design decision due to performance reasons. By limiting what was drawn on screen, performance could be kept up. If you could look freely, the lack of skybox textures would be obvious and the framerate would take a hit if you looked at a busy scene.

But you could enter first-person at any time with no skybox or performance issues. The game actually had a pretty elegant LOD system that faded objects in/out as needed that looked much better than the typical pop-in (the distance for which was extended in the XBLA versions).

Top Bottom