• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Masterphoenix

Neo Member
I can remember the months that I used playing Perfect Dark. Playing the multiplayer. Finally getting to Perfect Dark rank. This collection is nostalgia beautifully cased and ready to re-live

Rizzi

Battletoads Arcade is a good game though.
I've never played Perfect Dark, Blast Corps or Jetforce Gemini before.

I'm really excited to boot up Viva Pinata. I was fresh out of high school when it came out, and I remember I invited a girl over to my house to check it out.
We played it for a few hours, and before I drove her home I ended up getting lucky.
The next week, I invited her best friend over to check it out. I got lucky with her, too.

I guess Viva Pinata is my ultimate wingman. I'm married, now, so I hope Viva works it's charm on my wife...

robotrock

Banned
I'm really excited to boot up Viva Pinata. I was fresh out of high school when it came out, and I remember I invited a girl over to my house to check it out.
We played it for a few hours, and before I drove her home I ended up getting lucky.
The next week, I invited her best friend over to check it out. I got lucky with her, too.

I guess Viva Pinata is my ultimate wingman. I'm married, now, so I hope Viva works it's charm on my wife...
Dude, fuck yeah! Sex is awesome!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
The patch also changed invert controls for conker.

Blast corps got an update probs fixed crashing

Killer instinct got update too so did ghoulies

NJD316

Neo Member
Playing Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for the first time.

I'm really enjoying it, but there are parts of the game where you can really tell that this was originally supposed to be a standard Banjo game.

That first level especially - there's so many reasonably complex structures, obviously made for platforming, which go completely unused. Sometimes it feels like you're walking around a ghost town.

Still, it's actually really good fun, and was unfairly panned I feel.

tim1138

Thank goodness for the controls patch for JFG. I have no idea how I ever played it on N64 with those goofy controls with everything inverted.

Lego Boss

2 x Romance Dance! Did you make any baby pinantas?

I'm going to be playing this with my girls (6 and 3) when they get back from their grandmas. The oldest one has already said 'ahhh making babies sounds so lovely, how do they do that?'.

Time to have the chat?!

willbsn13

Thinking about picking this up. Seems like its a great collection with a few issues - and there looking into patching them which is great. Should it matter if the only Rare game ive played is Viva Pinata?

Ok, this may have been asked before and I just haven't seen it, but is there anyway to make the screen size larger? I don't want it stretched as I'm ok with 4:3, but I want the screen size larger. Also, is there a way to remap controls for games? This is pretty vital for me, as I don't play Killer Instinct with the default control scheme.

Edit: NM, I'm stupid. Borders off plays the game in fullscreen, and KI Gold allows button remapping in the in-game options, just as it did on n64.

Kinsei

Banned
Thinking about picking this up. Seems like its a great collection with a few issues - and there looking into patching them which is great. Should it matter if the only Rare game ive played is Viva Pinata?

That makes it an even better deal. The majority of their NES and N64 games are still fun today, and even some of the Spectrum games are fun for me (someone who had only played Jetpac before this collection).

Poona

Shouldn't matter if you haven't played any of them before. Probably makes it even better.

willbsn13

That makes it an even better deal. The majority of their NES and N64 games are still fun today, and even some of the Spectrum games are fun for me (someone who had only played Jetpac before this collection).

Shouldn't matter if you haven't played any of them before. Probably makes it even better.

Thanks for the quick responses! Definitely gonna go pick this up today, looking forward to it!

Berordn

Playing Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts for the first time.

I'm really enjoying it, but there are parts of the game where you can really tell that this was originally supposed to be a standard Banjo game.

That first level especially - there's so many reasonably complex structures, obviously made for platforming, which go completely unused. Sometimes it feels like you're walking around a ghost town.

Still, it's actually really good fun, and was unfairly panned I feel.

The hub actually rewards platforming with notes, crates, and on the especially complicated structures, jiggies. It does seem pretty likely that it's the tattered remains of a Banjo title proper since there's a surprising amount you can only explore on foot and your character for doing so has zero abilities for traversal.

danowat

Banned
just started up Knightlore

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif

How in the world do I even play this? I managed to fumble my way through a few rooms and picked up some items. I tried to watch some videos, but I guess the layout is random?

I remember playing a lot of these games when they first got released, I really can't remember ever knowing what was going on, and back in those days "finishing" a game was just one of those things that rarely happened.

Kinsei

Banned
just started up Knightlore

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif

How in the world do I even play this? I managed to fumble my way through a few rooms and picked up some items. I tried to watch some videos, but I guess the layout is random?

Reading the manual and playing the snapshots of the Spectrum games really helps you figure out what's going on. For example I never would have figured out the jump + pick up technique (which is essential) without the fourth snapshot.

bomblord1

Banned
Something I haven't seemed to find an answer for anywhere but I was wondering.

What resolution do the N64 games run at and how is the emulation or are they even emulated? (specifically referring to the N64 games)

RK128

What resolution do the N64 games run at and how is the emulation or are they even emulated? (specifically referring to the N64 games)

All the N64 games are upscaled to 1080p but its different for specific games.
-Conker, Blast Crops, Killer Instinct Gold and Jet Force Gemini are run on a emulator and that is upscaled to 1080p. Games have border and only JFG has a wide-screen option. Controls for Jet Force Gemini (everything in its controls) got updated with a recent patch to make the former control better and the latter feel more like a modern shooter.
-Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark are the XBLA versions (60FPS running at 1080p) with achievements

bomblord1

Banned
All the N64 games are upscaled to 1080p but its different for specific games.
-Conker, Blast Crops, Killer Instinct Gold and Jet Force Gemini are run on a emulator and that is upscaled to 1080p. Games have border and only JFG has a wide-screen option. Controls for Conker (inverted camera) and Jet Force Gemini (everything in its controls) got updated with a recent patch to make the former control better and the latter feel more like a modern shooter.
-Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark are the XBLA versions (60FPS running at 1080p) with achievements

Upscaled from the n64's resolution?

RK128

Upscaled from the n64's resolution?

As I don't own the collection, not super sure, but the games seem clear when I watch them on YouTube, so I would assume that the games are at 1080p but upscaled from the games original resolution's alongside some touch-ups here and there.

RK128

Speaking of JFG, how is the widescreen? Is it any good or should I stick with the borders?

From the videos's I saw, it mirrors how the XBLA versions of the Banjo games and Perfect Dark looked; the game was designed for wide-screen, so nothing is stretched out and the extra space can help finding tribal's and hidden foes off screen. But it might have an impact on the games frame rate (as I would imagine that the bordered version would run a little bit better on the emulator).

Tntnico

People really prefer Conker's Bad Fur Day instead of Conker Live and Reloaded ? I mean, this remake was amazing ! And regarding censorship, I didn't notice it ! Maybe there are deleted scenes ? I don't remember. If it's just for some words, I don't understand why people are complaining.

EDIT : I really hope that Rare will release the game with DLC on Rare Replay, even at 20$/20€ I double dip.

Kinsei

Banned
People really prefer Conker's Bad Fur Day instead of Conker Live and Reloaded ? I mean, this remake was amazing ! And regarding censorship, I didn't notice it ! Maybe there are deleted scenes ? I don't remember. If it's just for some words, I don't understand why people are complaining.

EDIT : I really hope that Rare will release the game with DLC on Rare Replay, even at 20$/20€ I double dip.

My biggest problems with Live and Reloaded are the Great Mighty Poo song and the multiplayer. Those two things make the N64 version superior to me.

I'd totally buy LIve and Reloaded if they released it as DLC though.

RK128

The games censorship when well beyond words and phrases; whole chunks of levels were cut in the Xbox version to make the game more streamlined alongside the N64 MP modes being completely cut in favor on something based on the Tedz invasion portion of the game with Xbox Live.

Those two reasons were a big reason why they decided to use the N64 version of Conker instead of the Xbox version for Rare Replay.

It could also be due to the fact that the Xbox version would require a complete port instead of simple emulation; they did a complete remaster of Grabbed by the Goulies for the Rare Replay (1080p/60FPS) due to no Xbox emulator being on the X1 right now. So, they could of not use the Live and Reloaded version of Conker to get the Collection out faster.

Regardless, out of all the potential DLC games, I see the Xbox version of Conker being a prime candidate for one of those DLC games for the Collection.

Banjo is so fun. Altough I forgot how annoying Kazooie is when he's running around a lot. Really loving this collection so far and it looks great. I still have my n64 but it's hard to get it too look good on a HD TV.

Simbabbad

For someone who grew up during the Spectrum area and beat Knight Lore legitimately in the days (and enjoyed every minute of it), it's really funny to read the comments in this thread.

Reads like a "Kids play Super Mario Bros. (NES)" video.

I managed to fumble my way through a few rooms and picked up some items. I tried to watch some videos, but I guess the layout is random?
The layout isn't random (thankfully), but the room you start in is random (among a few locations), and the nature of the items you have to put in the cauldron at the centre to cure Sabreman is random (among a few different sequences).

Here is how you're supposed to play:

1) build a whole map little by little (nowadays, sadly, just use one online, I guess)
2) using the map, go from the start area to the centre and carry during your journey as much items to the centre as you can
3) once in the centre area, see what items you need to feed to the cauldron to cure Sabreman
4) explore other branches to get the items you miss, and always bring an item with you because it makes puzzles and traps much easier

Frequently use the "pick up the item I'm on and jump at the same time" technique, it's really helpful.

BTW, the world is flat, all rooms are at the same level, and the game is pretty accessible and easy compared to other isometric games of the time. I'd like to see you manage with Sepulcri (my map).

Knight Lore is actually a masterpiece.

Speaking of JFG, how is the widescreen? Is it any good or should I stick with the borders?

It's extremely solid so far for me, though I'm only up to the end of the second area where you liberate the Anubis and rescue Vella.

The new patch fixed the Jetpac Refueled RR app launcher bug and added the modern control scheme to JFG which makes it a lot more approachable and playable for anyone and everyone accustomed to standard dual stick controls. Even so, playing with it on still retains some of that JFG control wonkiness when you have to either adjust your use of strafe on the right stick while you control your relative movement with the left or you keep your right thumb from moving it while not in aim mode. The slippyness from stopping any full speed movement means you will fall off of edges and die a lot if you're not very careful with the analog stick tilt angle since it has that classic N64 implementation of a using a fuller range of analog to determine movement speed. Still, with some adjusting to the left trigger lookspring and the above bits, JFG is still a lot of fun, and surprisingly demanding for requiring such precise analog control when traversing narrow paths and going for headshots or any aimed hit, really. Someone mentioned that CBFD had its camera control changed, but it's still the same as before, AFAICT.

Loving this package lots and it's really absorbing, keeping me from having even started playing my pre-loaded preorder of Galak-Z. Great job, Rare. Please keep polishing it up and get a perfect geometry, non-curvature enabled version of the CRT filter in as an option, and enable its use for N64 games. Please, please, please.

Chomposaur

Neo Member
Battle toads NES is insanely hard I remember playing battle maniacs on the SNES when I was a kid. I'm up to the queens ship. Call me a pussy but I don't think I could have gotten this far without the rewind button lol. Although I didn't struggle doing the turbo tunnel I did it in 3 try's.

The hell level and the pipe level make the turbo tunnel look like child's play.

MAtgS

*Racing on worlds clearly not designed as race tracks*
*Going to to the garage 2-3 or more times per mission to get those vehicles ever so just right in order to beat said mission*
*Going back to the garage or just plain doing the challenge over & over until I get that TT Trophy because it's either that or putting up with the harder challenges*
*The constant tedium of doing so many missions over & over & over, going back to that garage over & over & over*
*the physics, the too many slopes, the physics, the fear of getting stuck in opponents every time I try to pass them, the controls, the freaking overbearing physics*

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me. Why do people like Nuts & Bolts again? No seriously, why? I can't freaking stand this bloody game & yet there tends to be more defenders than detractors, especially in this very thread. It's something that's baffled me for years. & no, I'm not hating on it simply for not being BK3, I genuinely find N&B to not be very good on its own terms.

This game has always been a constant alternation between tedium (trips to the garage) & infuriating (driving controls/physics/level design) to me. The worlds typically do not come across like they were really designed around the many races they host, more like Rare made environments that look pretty 1st & figured out how to stick missions in them after the fact, the complete opposite of prior Banjo games. It leads to immense frustration in trying to stay on course while keeping at a necessary speed & not colliding with other drivers as we all squeeze into narrow checkpoints.

& this is pretty much half of all the challenges in the game. The other half offer more creative concepts but the time limits in each & every 1 of them drags my motivation down. More repeating of missions, more tinkering in the garage & sometimes still more replaying until I get those trophies because I gotta get to 75 jiggies somehow. On my last attempted playthrough a couple of years ago, I essentially gave up on getting jiggies after around 45 of so & focused mostly on whatever crates in the hub world I could find or Jinjo token collecting. When those wells dried up I stopped playing altogether.

So Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts Internet Defense Force, enlighten me. What am I missing? Do you guys simply have a better grasp of the controls than I? Am I missing a finer understanding of building vehicles so they don't suck? (not that I have better luck with pre-builts) Do most players just sandbox it with krazy designs? Is multiplayer the real star? Or something else not even crossing my mind?

P.S. LOG is awesome & easily the bright point of the game. He better come back for future BK titles, whatever form they may take.

Glad to see they are quickly patching issues!

Now all I need is for them to add new games, preferably starting with the Game Boy games like Banjo-Pilot and Gruntys Revenge :)

Edit: For those playing Nuts & Bolts, try that Klungo arcade game, you get a sweet gamer pic (and achievement) from beating it too...one of my proudest moments back in the 360 days haha, mainly because t took me forever to beat the last level.

Edit2: looked up the official name of it, it's
HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH WORLD

SimonM7

I'm sorry that I keep asking, but I don't want to bother Rare/MS support with it further if I can't get a second account of it.

Has anyone tried, and succeeded, in taking a screenshot or video of Nuts & Bolts and sharing it?

When I take a screenshot/video it ends up in the upload app, but pressing the menu button on it doesn't even let me "save" it, let alone share it. I can view it in there, but nothing else. It doesn't show up in my feed, and simply doesn't seem to want to go anywhere but locally on my Xbox.

Pllllease. I know I've asked like three times already, but could somebody please try?

EDIT: Actually they just tweeted me and said they think it's resolved, so I'll check myself now :D
EDIT 2: Nope. Still not working. I dunno if it's on my end, either.

Polygons are sharp and the UI has large chunky pixels. It looks way nicer than DK64 on Wii U but the frame rates seem the same as what you'd find on a real n64.

NullMoon

Neo Member
What's with the new control scheme in JFG? Anyone else keep accidently switching weapons while trying to strafe? It's cool that now the reticle stays centered while aiming but did they really need to map swapping weapon to up and down on the left anolog stick while aiming.

Edit: I'm an idiot. Didn't realize you have to actualy switch to Modern Contol scheme in the game option and not in the game it's self. I was switching to normal contol mode in game. My god does this new control scheme rock.

Tntnico

Edit: For those playing Nuts & Bolts, try that Klungo arcade game, you get a sweet gamer pic (and achievement) from beating it too...one of my proudest moments back in the 360 days haha, mainly because t took me forever to beat the last level.

Edit2: looked up the official name of it, it's
HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH WORLD

Yes, I keep thinking that HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH WORLD and HERO KLUNGO SSSAVESSS TEH UNIVERSE need a stand alone sequel. It was so epic :D I remember playing it with friends, lot of fun !

Top Bottom