• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

FrsDvl

I decided to wait on the update to start Jet force, just tried it out. Screw this game, how does anyone play this. All I do is lay on the ground, spend 5 minutes killing 2 guys, this is impossible to play.

Ok judging by the replies above me, I have not received the update.

Cynn

I'm so glad to see that people are giving Viva Piñata a chance thanks to this collection! Both games were fantastic from visuals to gameplay. We need a new one. Maybe expand the concept to have multiple gardens in the same zone like Zoo Tycoon handles animal enclosures.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I never played Viva Pinata before, what's recommended with the two here? I think the general consensus prefers the second one, but should I start from the first anyway?

I decided to wait on the update to start Jet force, just tried it out. Screw this game, how does anyone play this. All I do is lay on the ground, spend 5 minutes killing 2 guys, this is impossible to play.

Ok judging by the replies above me, I have not received the update.

The update is for Rare Replay as a whole, try closing it and opening.

Any changes outside of Jet Force?

Knightlore is probably my least favorite game in the collection. The perspective is interesting for the time it came out but the framerate is so bad. In one room it's a steady 60 FPS but in another with two enemies and a spike pit it's less than 5. Gross.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Having a motherfucker of a time on Stage 11 of Battletoads. I got through the rest of the game no problem, but this level feels off. Not responsive enough. It's frustrating as fuck

Bread

Banned
I just turned on my Xbone, and what the hell happened? I had installed the Rare Collection last night, but a ton of the 360 games had interrupted installs. I downloaded the rest of them except Viva Piñata 1, which I set to insta and went to bed.

Now I turn on my console, and it has uninstalled almost all my games except master chief and forza horizon. There are a ton of gereyed out 360 rare games, including the rare collection. I hit install on the rare collection, and it takes out a huge chunk of my 1.5 TB of storage. It almost looks like all the space for all the games is taken even though the console seems to think nothing is installed. So now I have 2 games that are not greyscale out, it's installing the rare collection, and I have 100 gigs left!!

What is going on??
Weird, sounds like a problem with your hard drive. If it's not, have you tried hard rebooting your Xbox?

The_Dama

It some how glitched me to level 5 after I did the "car" mission in Battletoads. Replay feature really helps.

Banjo is awesome too

Sponge

Banned
I was watching some of the Making of videos and I got to the Conker one. Man, it sure is depressing to hear from Chris Seavor himself that we may never get another Conker game :( These interviews are fantastic though!

Viva Piñata is so good! I can't believe I missed out on this through the entire Xbox 360 generation. No lie, it was the game I was most excited for with Rare Replay. I can't wait to get back to my garden~

I'd hate to see my hour count in Viva Pinata. It has to be close to 200 hours. I played the ever loving shit out of that game.

I'm getting Replay for nuts and bolts, and Viva Pinata: TIP because I never played it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Any changes outside of Jet Force?

Knightlore is probably my least favorite game in the collection. The perspective is interesting for the time it came out but the framerate is so bad. In one room it's a steady 60 FPS but in another with two enemies and a spike pit it's less than 5. Gross.

All I've noticed is that the Jetpack Refuelled game launches properly for me now, and the rare replay banner is gone from the 360 game panels.

And yeah I noticed that about Knightlore as well. Any room that starts to get remotely complex has a massive drop in frames.

Drago

The dev interviews make this package truly shine
I kinda wish that they weren't unlockables, or at least make it so you only need rank 15 or so to get everything. There's stuff locked behind rank 30 that I know I will never ever unlock myself (and that's some of the coolest content - music from Project Dream and Conker 64 among others!) I know that I will never see anything past a certain rank unless I look it up on Youtube. I'm too weak.

Thank god for Youtube! :p

But yes, the dev interviews and featurettes are great watches. Especially the Making Ofs. I'm so glad they went out of their way to do them.

goldenpp72

Which should I play viva pinata or trouble in paradise? They seem like the same thing

TIP is really just the first game with more content and improved everything, it was more of an expansion pack than a sequel. The only real perk to the original game is that it was a bit less feature rich which in turn made it a lot less busy.

Still having both in one package is a bit redundant imo.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Loaded up my old 360 saves on Kameo and the 3 Banjo games today. Ended I never did finish getting all the collectibles in Kameo back in the day and I ended up spending a few hours today collecting a bunch. Discovered a few areas in the starting village that I never knew existed. Only had a 600 GS on this one, so I figure I'll finish collecting everything and then go for at least a few A ranks to get all 5 stamps. Kameo plays very smoothly.

Glad I got all the Nuts & Bolts achievements (minus the DLC multiplayer ones) back in the day. That game plays really poorly on the Xbone just driving around the HUB. I can't imagine trying to actually do races with it like that.

TIP is really just the first game with more content and improved everything, it was more of an expansion pack than a sequel. The only real perk to the original game is that it was a bit less feature rich which in turn made it a lot less busy.

Still having both in one package is a bit redundant imo.
Yeah it is a bit redundant wtf.. guess im playing TIP

robotrock

Banned
Yup, the Rare Replay banners are definitely gone from the 360 titles.

Just played the original Jetpac within Jetpac Refuelled within the Rare Replay

Drago

Just played the original Jetpac within Jetpac Refuelled within the Rare Replay
It's weird. The Rare Replay banners would only show up for me when a 360 title was installing/updating. Once fully installed it wouldn't have a banner.

Kinda wish they had the banners permanently but no big deal. I also hope the new OS update lets you put games in folders so that I can stick all the RR stuff together.

anyone know what the 224mb update was for?
Added new options for Jet Force Gemini (Invert aiming on/off and a modern control scheme option). Maybe some other things I'm forgetting or don't know about

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yep, Jet Force Gemini is way better with the new controls. I like how the reticle stays centered now. The moving reticle made it really hard to hit anything before.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Oh shit, you can do this? I didn't even think to try, and my daughter loves the game.

I'm totally doing it with PD0 too.

Hope I didn't mislead.
We aren't playing coop together. Just playing at the same time.
Some good father and son bonding for sure

Drago

For a second I thought you were talking about a Banjo FPS game and thought you were crazy. xD
2869123-maxresdefault+%282%29.jpg

Syriel

Has anyone confirmed if that Banjo FPS is indeed worse than it was on 360? Because damn it feels rough on XB1.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (2008)
Nuts & Bolts suffered from a negative fan reaction on release, not because it was a terrible game but because it wasn't a platformer like the previous two Banjo games. Instead, Nuts & Bolts introduced vehicle-based gameplay and the ability to customize vehicles LEGO-style. Unfortunately, the version included in Rare Replay has significant frame rate issues that weren't present in the original game.

http://worthplaying.com/article/2015/8/5/reviews/96862/

Tooie just feels so overwhelming compared to Kazooie, I love banjo Kazooie and have one hundred percented the game multiple times, first time playing tooie and while it's really good the worlds are just too big and fuck those canary Mary sequences, looks like those will be the jiggies I skip.

just started up Knightlore

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif

How in the world do I even play this? I managed to fumble my way through a few rooms and picked up some items. I tried to watch some videos, but I guess the layout is random?

just started up Knightlore

what_the_fuck_shatner.gif

How in the world do I even play this? I managed to fumble my way through a few rooms and picked up some items. I tried to watch some videos, but I guess the layout is random?

No idea. It seems like it's got a lot going on (platforming, item collection), but it's but it's so basic that just moving accurately with the isometric view makes the game harder than it would be otherwise. I don't know that any would help for Knight Lore, but sometimes the vertical slice of gameplay you get from a snapshot can teach you about the game. Like in Lunar Jetman, I thought the car was useless because it can't drive over potholes. One of the snapshots tells you to use the car's supplies to fill in potholes, and drive a total of 15 meters.

holy shit, the controls in Underwurlde are so fucking bad.
The jump and the way you can get ping ponged all over the room is damned annoying.

My first time playing, the ping ponging started before I grabbed the gun. (I didn't even realize there was a gun lying there, or that I needed to grab it.) I got knocked down multple pits, and it seemed as if I couldn't die, or get back up, and the shoot button did nothing.

I'm not a big fan of this. When installing Perfect Dark, I see 2 copies. Which one do I use? Is the non-Rare Replay one missing the "hold start to go back to Rare Replay" functionality?

Kyzon

Jet Force Gemini makes me so damn happy. Took a moment to get used to the weird ass controls, but everything clicked again like when I was a kid. It's still amazing. I want a sequel so bad!

No idea. It seems like it's got a lot going on (platforming, item collection), but it's but it's so basic that just moving accurately with the isometric view makes the game harder than it would be otherwise. I don't know that any would help for Knight Lore, but sometimes the vertical slice of gameplay you get from a snapshot can teach you about the game. Like in Lunar Jetman, I thought the car was useless because it can't drive over potholes. One of the snapshots tells you to use the car's supplies to fill in potholes, and drive a total of 15 meters.

Yeah, this is messing me up so bad. Just took me forever to realize that I couldnt make this one jump because a block was actually straight ahead of me, when it looked to be directly to my side.

Top Bottom