• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I guess i should try the other 29 games now huh?
oYyfAiU.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just played BK: Nuts and Bolts again (first time in years) and it remains the soul-crushing disappointment it was back then. The controls are horrible.

Roto13

I, too, haven't touched it in a solid 15+ years, and think it holds up pretty well. The only thing that bothers me, and it's minor, is not having full control of the camera with the right stick.

If the camera hits a wall wrong it just teleports to a different position and sends you falling off a narrow path to your death. Every time.

That was not a good era for cameras.

lostcauz

Somebody else has probably figured this out already but you can abuse the save system on quite a few games. For example, the stamp/achievement of winning 25 races on pro am 1 or 2. Be in first place towards the end, save, win, load save, win repeat.

Bsigg12

Goddamnit, fucking Banjo swimming controls

Make sure you use A to swim in tight spaces.

I 100% BK the other night complete with Stop & Swop items. Currently working through Banjo Tooie and I forgot how significantly larger that game is. It is almost intimidating at first with how they block off Jiggys by needing to open new paths from other areas or unlock abilities and come back.

SimonM7

Actually i streamed the game to the windows 10 xbox app and print screened it.

Oh! Would you mind taking a screenshot in the game with the guide button double tap or kinect command, and seeing if you can save/share it in upload? It would be tremendously appreciated. I'm so frustrated by this, because support are so slow, and I can't for the life of me get a second account of this happening, because nobody wants to try.

GAF, can I play the X360 games on my X360?

Nope, unfortunately not. File sizes are bigger and there's a tiny layer of Rare Replay stuff in them, which I'm assuming prevents them from registering as 360 games. It would be a classy move to just give you the 360 versions when bc launches eventually, however, since I imagine the Rare Replay and vanilla 360 games will more or less be the same thing on all Xbox Ones at that point.

Kinsei

Banned
WANTED: Mexicans Dead or Alive

uhhh, okay? Gunfright sure is a relic of the past.

I've finished every single Spectrum game, hooray! Overall I only liked Jetpac, Atic Atac, and Sabrewulf. I would have liked Knight Lore if the camera was better.

Lancelot

Oh! Would you mind taking a screenshot in the game with the guide button double tap or kinect command, and seeing if you can save/share it in upload? It would be tremendously appreciated. I'm so frustrated by this, because support are so slow, and I can't for the life of me get a second account of this happening, because nobody wants to try.

Nope, unfortunately not. File sizes are bigger and there's a tiny layer of Rare Replay stuff in them, which I'm assuming prevents them from registering as 360 games. It would be a classy move to just give you the 360 versions when bc launches eventually, however, since I imagine the Rare Replay and vanilla 360 games will more or less be the same thing on all Xbox Ones at that point.

Thank you. It would be a nice bonus if I could play them on the native console.

aro52

That is a design decision due to performance reasons. By limiting what was drawn on screen, performance could be kept up. If you could look freely, the lack of skybox textures would be obvious and the framerate would take a hit if you looked at a busy scene.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning and purpose. Just always tricky going back, after being spoiled all these years!

daTRUballin

WANTED: Mexicans Dead or Alive

uhhh, okay? Gunfright sure is a relic of the past.

I've finished every single Spectrum game, hooray! Overall I only liked Jetpac, Atic Atac, and Sabrewulf. I would have liked Knight Lore if the camera was better.

Errr, did it really say this in the game? ._.

Nemesis_

I really hope Conker Live and Reloaded makes its way back into the collection. I don't even care if they're not able to Port over the multiplayer. After seeing how pretty GBTG looks I'd just love to see them bother to build up Live and Reloaded for the collection.

Please Rare ;_;

Xemnas89

I really hope Conker Live and Reloaded makes its way back into the collection. I don't even care if they're not able to Port over the multiplayer. After seeing how pretty GBTG looks I'd just love to see them bother to build up Live and Reloaded for the collection.

Please Rare ;_;

Live and Reloaded already looked great. If they put it out now in 1080p it would be gorgeous. I really wish it was the version of Conker in this collection but I'm biased as Live and Reloaded is the only version I've ever played.

It's not very good, the way the enemies come on screen is often really unfair. Seems like it was a feel coin pincer. Second boss was kind of fun though.

def sim

I beat battletoads with the help of rewind and it was still a load of crap. The hover bike, snake ride, rat race, and vortex escape sequences can sit on it and spin.

At least the arcade one seems much better. I'm looking forward to getting into it later in the week.

Isn't it generally known that PDZ felt sluggish compared to PD?
Wasn't there a recommended adjustment to the sensitivity floating around? I remember feeling the same when I first started PDZ, finding the recommended adjustments, and it being better enough that it was fine.

I do recall it helping, and I think this might be the one I used: http://hlfallout.net/topic/46813-sensitivity-fix-for-perfect-dark-zero/

I've seen that I wasn't one having problems with aiming in PDZ, theres been at least 2-3 threads a day popping up about the aiming system, with even more negative responses in it, some people even say they hate the game because of it. Most people adjust the sensitivity and give up when they still can't aim, I've experimented and experimented and found settings that make the game much easier to play, and when it's easier, of course it's more fun.

If you set your profile up like this, you'll notice you get way more headshot kills, and kills period.

Profile Options > Controls

Basics:

* Control Style: Standard

* Auto Aim Style: On or Off, doesn't make much of a difference, in this game if the small crosshair is over an opponent, the shot is going to hit.

* Sensitivity: 75-100 seem to be the best.

* Invert Y: Up to you.

The most important part:

* X/Y Sensitivity: Off - Most console FPS have Y Slower than X as default, but in PDZ they decided to make it so the X and Y axis are the same speed, it may sound silly, but this makes a HUGE difference when changed.

* Y Sensitivity: 45-60 - The Higher your X is, adjust it appropriatly with the Y. This is where you'll be getting more headshots.

* Fast Look: OFF - Fast Look is a stupid feature. Basically when you push your analog stick all the way in ANY direction, it will spin you around in less than a second, making precise aiming almost impossible.

Optional:

Options > Game Setup

* Camera Bob: Off, Camera Bob is annoying to me, but it won't really affect your aiming too much.

After I changed these options, this game is almost as fluid as Halo now, the only thing I can't fix is the Zoom Sensitivity.

If you're having problems aiming try out these settings and tell me if they work for you. :):

OneUh8

How could any reasonable person have been expected to beat Battletoads when it first came out? Holy crap.

HAHA for real. But honestly, I don't really remember being frustrated as a kid playing all those NES, Genesis and SNES games. Probably just used to those games at that time. But now days going back to those old games I liked, I wonder how the heck I played them or beat them lol. Crazy.

The Flash

Banned
HAHA for real. But honestly, I don't really remember being frustrated as a kid playing all those NES, Genesis and SNES games. Probably just used to those games at that time. But now days going back to those old games I liked, I wonder how the heck I played them or beat them lol. Crazy.

I'm sure it has to do with age. My almost 24 year old reaction times are probably not as good as my 9 year old reaction times.

Cleve

All I really want out of this is grabbed by the ghoulies (I own vp on backwards compat already). There's 0 chance of seeing these released separately, right?

Lothar

Banned
How could any reasonable person have been expected to beat Battletoads when it first came out? Holy crap.

You know, I feel the same about Dark Souls. I actually could beat Battletoads and couldn't beat DS. Nothing in Battletoads has anything on Ornstein and Smough.

But that's okay that I couldn't beat it. Not every game should be able to be beat by everyone.

As a kid, Battletoads was awesome because when you paid money for it, you got months of entertainment out of it. Whereas something like Kirby's Adventure, I remember really looking forward to it and then when I got it, I beat it in an afternoon. Then it was over and I had no other new games to play. My parents were upset that it only lasted me one day. So I always appreciated the hard games like Battletoads, Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, etc.. over the easy games.

Salty Hippo

I will say that raising Clanker was 10x more frustrating than it ever should have. Christ, that was awful.

One of the most tense parts of the game. Love it.

I think the difficulty in getting the bubbles is more of a camera issue than a control issue tbh.

Conezays

Man the camera and general controls on Conker are really pissing me off. The game is just damn tough. I think I'm still having fun with it, but man I must have had a lot more patience back in the n64 days.

What do I do once I've made the
cow start shitting into the grate? I went to see the dung beetle again but nothing happened

Hah. I had trouble here as well.
Try ramming into the cow again while she's shitting. Then repeat the process for the bull's eye one more time.

FaintDeftone

Man, that control scheme added into Jet Force Gemini is a huge improvement. The sensitivity is still way off, but at least I feel like I have a handle on things.

RedToad64

I beat battletoads with the help of rewind and it was still a load of crap. The hover bike, snake ride, rat race, and vortex escape sequences can sit on it and spin.

At least the arcade one seems much better. I'm looking forward to getting into it later in the week.
Yeah, I finished Battletoads with a massive help from the rewind and save state features.
To all of you who can play through it legit... you have my respect.

daTRUballin

Man, I would love to see how a modern Banjo or Conker game would be like. The most recent installments of these franchises were Nuts & Bolts and Conker: L&R. But L&R was a remake and N&B was a different type of game. They're definitely not enough.

Chucker

Beat Battletoads NES tonight, no rewind but infinite lives. Clinger Winger gave me the most trouble.

I have no idea how I beat this when it came out and I was 10.

Babby reflexes IMO

daTRUballin

I played that mode a lot back in the day.

Long overdue. So much marketing went into that game, too, and that it got no sequel is a real tragedy. No need to change the artstyle either, they just need to improve on it.

More like hardly any marketing. What are you talking about? This is an MS era Rare game we're talking about here.

Top Bottom