• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Kinsei

Banned
Bought an Xbox One for this. Couldn't resist. Have played every game from Blast Corps onwards EXCEPT Conker so I'm playing that first (it's amazing so far). Haven't ever played ANY of the old stuff except Battletoads so which of those should I tackle first when I'm done with Conker? Anything that will blow me away?

Atic Atac is the best Spectrum game IMO. Cobra Triangle and Digger T.Rock are the best NES games IMO.

-MD-

Man, perfect dark zero is so hard online. I'm shooting at people missing every shot because it's impossible to aim, and then the same guy I'm shooting two shots me and gets a headshot.

You pretty much only want to aim at heads, burst your shots to rip the helmet off.

I miss PDZ, wish I had access to this.

Playing through Banjo for the first time ever. You all already know this, but it's amazing. It's far from perfect as far as modern polish goes, but the gameplay is great. Top notch level design, too. I love it.

Nah, I got it earlier. What section are you having trouble on?

pretty much the spacing of double barriers right now. Only reason I was able to beat the snapshot was because it counts a couple seconds after u crash. Ive gotten to right around the 45 second mark, no further

Edit: Just managed 46 seconds woooo getting closer

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just got all of the stamps for Kameo. Game was better than I remembered. Has issues with textures loading in though. Got to Thorn in a co-op run and he was just an empty suit of armor for over a minute.

Kinsei

Banned
pretty much the spacing of double barriers right now. Only reason I was able to beat the snapshot was because it counts a couple seconds after u crash. Ive gotten to right around the 45 second mark, no further

Mash the jump button while in the air so you jump as soon as you land.

Erekiddo

Rare Replay was working fine on Tuesday, and today, I can't get past the intro screen. I press A and nothing happens.

Anyone else get this? I don't want to have to reinstall everything.

Mash the jump button while in the air so you jump as soon as you land.

managed to get 1:01 lol. Now the pillars are coming too fast. I think my problem is that I go to far up or down to avoid them, when I can just stay central in the middle and just move a tiny bit to avoid them

Kinsei

Banned
managed to get 1:01 lol. Now the pillars are coming too fast. I think my problem is that I go to far up or down to avoid them, when I can just stay central in the middle and just move a tiny bit to avoid them

Probably. At the end they come so fast that you're pretty much threading a needle.

Drago

Did a few milestones in both R.C. Pro Ams, they're pretty fun games once you get the hang of the controls! Also did most of the snapshots for both but I can't for the life of me complete snapshot 5 of Pro Am 1. :(

Not aiming for 100% milestones or snapshots, I already know that I can't feasibly do them all so I'm only going for what I know I can do, what seems like the most fun. Hoping to make it to rank 17 so I can at least see all the concept showcases, at rank 13 now.

10 games complete so far! (When it comes to some of the older games I'm considering complete when I have a decent number of milestones or I just don't plan on playing it ever again.) Having trouble deciding what to tackle next. Maybe I'll give GbtG a spin.

What? It's the same thing. New Conker looks like a hobo on the throne.

More
ffpUkVvm.png
8XaUAgs.png

rfgxGfF.png

6KtZilUm.png
H2rhHDym.png
From a technical stand-point the XBox version is obviously vastly better, but man stylistically did the remake take a hit. Especially obvious with the It's War screenshot where the incompetent cutesy soldiers suddenly became generic tough guys in a default standing position. It's graphically superior, but it seemed to lose a lot of charm in an effort to show off what the XBox could do.

Also Conker having pants is dumb and ruins the piss gags and he's way too 'cutesy' looking. Glad it seems like with Rare Replay and the Project Spark DLC they're reverting back to the N64 designs and are just going to update them in the future, assuming the franchise has a future.

ss_lemonade

What? It's the same thing. New Conker looks like a hobo on the throne.
I dunno, those xbox shots do look a lot better to me.

I think the biggest problem I have at the moment with Conker is how close the camera is to him at times. Could barely see what's around me properly

Cindro

Atic Atac is the best Spectrum game IMO. Cobra Triangle and Digger T.Rock are the best NES games IMO.
Atic Atac?? Man, I'm dreading this one. I finished all of the snapshots for it earlier, but have yet to crack open the full game. The character movement in the snapshots were incredibly slippery, certain doors will randomly take up to five seconds to open, enemy spawns seem random and their patterns are too erratic for the dumpy weapon you're equipped with, and to top it all off it's confusing as hell to know where you're going. When I start playing it, I'm pulling up a map for the game, attempting to blast through most milestones on a single run, and then pray I get hit by a train before I'm ever tempted to go for the "beat the game with all three characters" stamp.

But, who knows, maybe I'll end up loving it :p

After Perfect Dark, I was paralyzed with indecision. There are SO MANY GAMES still that I've never played. What did I want to commit to? Grabbed? Cobra? Battletoads? Man, it sure is great having all of these new options at my disposal! PD was so awesome too, maybe I'll just get the disappointment of the sequel over with now and

*GU-HAH!*

Sorry, what?

*BGREEEE!*

I... aherm...

*EEKUM BOKUM*

Yeah, okay, you win Banjo. I'll 100% you again even though I already have all of your milestones.

Playing through Banjo for the first time ever. You all already know this, but it's amazing. It's far from perfect as far as modern polish goes, but the gameplay is great. Top notch level design, too. I love it.

*Hi-5*

What exactly do you mean by modern polish? I think it stands the test of time in basically all regards (particularly the remake with its improved camera control). A timeless fairytale classic, the likes of which the medium hasn't seen before or since.

Gruntilda's lair is just so smartly designed, and remains one of my favorite villain headquarters in all of gaming. I did the first three levels in one sitting a couple hours ago - now I'm just trying to decide if I want to play more Jetpac before bed or go tackle Bubblegloop Swamp.

I'll probably crack out to Jetpac because it goes down like a fine wine and is a perfect way to end any day.

Drago

Has anyone tweeted at Rare about adding camera options to Conker? I would but I don't use Twitter.

They're pretty good about responding to people as far as I can tell and I can't possibly imagine it's that hard to put in, it's just button remapping no? I want to play more Conker but the possibility of a fixed canera down the line is making me hold off a bit.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I finally got to put this into my XB1 today. Nostalgia Overload. First game I played was Blast Corps. Fun times. Blast Corps 2 with Crackdown 3 tech needs to happen.

daTRUballin

I finally got to put this into my XB1 today. Nostalgia Overload. First game I played was Blast Corps. Fun times. Blast Corps 2 with Crackdown 3 tech needs to happen.

What's funny is that Rare was actually working on Crackdown 2 at some point, but then their version was obviously cancelled for some reason.

RK128

What's funny is that Rare was actually working on Crackdown 2 at some point, but then their version was obviously cancelled for some reason.

O_O! They were working on Crackdown 2 at some point.....didn't think Microsoft would cancel something like that or even let them work on it (as they wanted them to make family-friendly games/Kinect stuff on the 360 late in its life-cycle).

....Another on the list of long scrapped projects I suppose :(?

Hope this means that Rare will be working on something using destruction-based in the future (a Blast Corps 2 XBLA game maybe :)?).

Jawmuncher

Is there a guide or map for Atic Atac. Can't beat the snapshot playlist that starts with it saying to exit the castle. Have no idea where to go.

daTRUballin

O_O! They were working on Crackdown 2 at some point.....didn't think Microsoft would cancel something like that or even let them work on it (as they wanted them to make family-friendly games/Kinect stuff on the 360 late in its life-cycle).

....Another on the list of long scrapped projects I suppose :(?

Hope this means that Rare will be working on something using destruction-based in the future (a Blast Corps 2 XBLA game maybe :)?).

Yeah, not a lot of people seem to know this, but they DID work on Crackdown 2. And I'm pretty sure they worked on it before the Kinect era. Most of those cancelled projects were being worked on before the Kinect days.

Poona

As someone that hasn't played both is there any reason to not skip straight to Trouble in Paradise instead of playing the first Viva Piñata?

I think you can play Trouble in Paradise without bothering with the first.

I think they should have put another game in the collection rather than bothering with the first Viva Pinata, because Trouble in Paradise is effectively the first game but with an expansion pack.

UraMallas

Yeah, not a lot of people seem to know this, but they DID work on Crackdown 2. And I'm pretty sure they worked on it before the Kinect era. Most of those cancelled projects were being worked on before the Kinect days.

What? I have never heard anywhere that Rare was working on Crackdown 2. Do you have a credible source?

Agreed, Blast Corps definitely hit me with the nostalgia feels. That game still holds up pretty well, which I did not expect.

RK128

That is some interesting information.....thanks for the heads up daTRUballin.

I guess Rare's various cancelled projects was due to Microsoft wanting them to make kid-friendly games.

That was something the Banjo/DKC team at Rare was okay with working on (as Viva Pinta series and Nuts & Bolts ended up still being great games :D).

But others like the Conker creator's team, the Kameo team and Perfect Dark Zero team being upset with this and it lead to various mature games and concepts (Perfect Dark Core, Kameo 2, Various Horror game pitches, Sundown, ect) being tossed aside.

Guess the team that was helping with Crackdown 2 didn't present a good enough prototype, the game didn't match Crackdown 1 or some other factor got in the way (maybe the other Rare teams helped out with Viva Pinta or the XBLA Banjo remasters?), leading to them being kicked off the project. Thus, another team was called in to re-cycle everything from the original Crackdown just to get something out.

I really wish we got a full "Behind the Scenes" at Microsoft and see what exactly their studios and developers deal with on a daily basis, as I'm sure it wasn't just Rare that had their ideas tossed aside like nothing....

I think 1:42 is the best I can do on turbo tunnels for now. My own instincts start fucking me over at that point...if I see anything pop up on the screen I immediately start to jump, then it turns out to be something u dont jump to pass.....and I am not even to the hardest part yet.

I need a break from this shit

But the fun of Battletoads is conquering the challenge. It's not dying, rewind, dying, rewind, and basically skipping over the challenge. Unless you give it a real try (not using rewind), how would you know there are plenty of better games? I think of Battletoads on NES the same way people think of Dark Souls for the last generation. Would you want to rewind over every death in Dark Souls? There would be no point to playing it then.

Dark Souls doesn't rely 100% on learning the levels. Battletoads is a bad action platformer, or whatever it's supposed to be. It's trying to do a lot of things and none of them are good. You basically have to learn every level in detail and one tiny miss could end the whole game. It's nowhere near fun and it's nowhere near a polished game. Poor controls, bad level design, falling through platforms, shoddy hit detection etc.

The Souls games also have other things going for them than the difficulty (they aren't that hard either for that matter).

RK128

I started listening to more soundtracks from the games in Rare Replay and man, Nuts & Bolts has an amazing score.

All of the themes in Banjoland are so beautiful :'). The part in Banjoland Day where the a orchestrated remix of the Ice World from Banjo 1 plays or the part where the first 'main' level of Banjo Tooie plays are amazing.

Showdown Town's theme is really nice and I love Gunty themes as well :D.

Great score and it has me excited for Grant's work with Yooka-Laylee (and hopefully a new Banjo game in the future :)).

At least I finished the snapshots for cobra triangle
13 is the max you can get for snap #3 , it's impossible , wasted 45 minutes of my life trying to get 14 haha

daTRUballin

What? I have never heard anywhere that Rare was working on Crackdown 2. Do you have a credible source?

I don't really know any direct sources, but I've heard about this on GAF. I'm pretty sure it's true.
That is some interesting information.....thanks for the heads up daTRUballin.

I guess Rare's various cancelled projects was due to Microsoft wanting them to make kid-friendly games.

That was something the Banjo/DKC team at Rare was okay with working on (as Viva Pinta series and Nuts & Bolts ended up still being great games :D).

But others like the Conker creator's team, the Kameo team and Perfect Dark Zero team being upset with this and it lead to various mature games and concepts (Perfect Dark Core, Kameo 2, Various Horror game pitches, Sundown, ect) being tossed aside.

Guess the team that was helping with Crackdown 2 didn't present a good enough prototype, the game didn't match Crackdown 1 or some other factor got in the way (maybe the other Rare teams helped out with Viva Pinta or the XBLA Banjo remasters?), leading to them being kicked off the project. Thus, another team was called in to re-cycle everything from the original Crackdown just to get something out.

I really wish we got a full "Behind the Scenes" at Microsoft and see what exactly their studios and developers deal with on a daily basis, as I'm sure it wasn't just Rare that had their ideas tossed aside like nothing....

Yeah, but do we know if the Banjo/DKC team wasn't forced to make those family friendly games?

Cindro

Atic Atac conkered! I used this fantastic guide - it tells you the exact directions you need to go through so you don't have to constantly reference a map:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626376

There were actually quite a lot of surprisingly neat things about the game, once you remove the frustration from getting lost. The three character option was assuredly cool for it's time, the whole concept of being locked in a haunted castle is awesome, and there's a part in the game where you have to distract a monster guarding a door with a bottle of booze - so the rare humor is even present!

I really love the witch sprite too - sure, it looks like a generic witch, but it also looks like Grunty so I'm going to pretend she was influenced by this sprite:

And the boxart for the game rules:

Have I mentioned how much I love Rare Replay? Because it's truly outstanding.

RK128

I don't really know any direct sources, but I've heard about this on GAF. I'm pretty sure it's true.

Yeah, but do we know if the Banjo/DKC team wasn't forced to make those family friendly games?

.....That is a very good point :l. I guess they were 'Well, Banjo IS a kid friendly IP, so.....we don't have the worst end of things...", so after work on Nuts & Bolts, they were content (I guess) and stuck around until the time was right to leave, thus Playtonic was born and the Kickstarter for Yooka-Laylee was funded this year (with a Banjo-successor coming around next year/2017 :D).

I'm loving being able to go through Banjo-Kazooie again. I think I only played through it once back in the day.

I've heard people complain about the camera, and I didn't remember it being bad. I jumped it and it seemed fine. But now I'm trying to get a timed jiggy that requires me to walk across narrow elevated paths, and I'm starting to hate the camera. It's not that it controls poorly, it's that there are certain spots where they decided where they want the camera to be, and it snaps to that angle when you get there, often making me do an instant turn in a random direction. Even when it happens and you're not timed or in danger of falling, it's disorienting.

I'm loving Conker (first time ever playing it) but man, they should've made it a locked 30fps and touched up the shooting controls at least.

Compared to the Banjo and Perfect Dark remasters, Conker just seems... Lacking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The end of the War chapter in Conker...jesus. That whole chapter in general was really, really bad, didn't age very well when you have to walk around and shoot.

jamsy

How are the Viva Pinata games? Are they in 1080p?

Probably the only games I'd be interested in playing in the collection.

DJ_Lae

I'm loving being able to go through Banjo-Kazooie again. I think I only played through it once back in the day.

I've heard people complain about the camera, and I didn't remember it being bad. I jumped it and it seemed fine. But now I'm trying to get a timed jiggy that requires me to walk across narrow elevated paths, and I'm starting to hate the camera. It's not that it controls poorly, it's that there are certain spots where they decided where they want the camera to be, and it snaps to that angle when you get there, often making me do an instant turn in a random direction. Even when it happens and you're not timed or in danger of falling, it's disorienting.

I got all the jiggies and notes earlier today and yeah, it does some weird things at times when you don't really want it too. I found the top of the cranes particularly bad as it would swing the opposite direction that I wanted when I got up there, and some of the narrow paths like you mentioned are hell.

Under the cabin in the final level was probably the worst. I saved a little clip of it going wonky, and every time I tried to correct it the camera would bug out again.

daTRUballin

.....That is a very good point :l. I guess they were 'Well, Banjo IS a kid friendly IP, so.....we don't have the worst end of things...", so after work on Nuts & Bolts, they were content (I guess) and stuck around until the time was right to leave, thus Playtonic was born and the Kickstarter for Yooka-Laylee was funded this year (with a Banjo-successor coming around next year/2017 :D).

Yeah, the Banjo/DKC team always mostly worked on family friendly games, even during the Nintendo days. It was the other teams who were having their projects cancelled left and right.

Overall, Microsoft's management of the studio was a missed opportunity. Why would you buy a developer with such a great pedigree for half a billion dollars and not even advertise their games? Not to mention not even letting them release all those games they were working on. Their management of Rare was very strange during those days. :/

Drago

How are the Viva Pinata games? Are they in 1080p?

Probably the only games I'd be interested in playing in the collection.

720p, they're backwards compatible and identical to the original 360 versions.

I'm a massive fan of the original. My favorite simulator game ever, and the only one that I ever got really addicted to. So many good memories with it. Haven't played Trouble in Paradise yet, but I hear it's essentially a big expansion to the original, to the point it makes including the original title mostly redundant. Excited to play it whenever I do.

jamsy

720p, they're backwards compatible and identical to the original 360 versions.

I'm a massive fan of the original. My favorite simulator game ever, and the only one that I ever got really addicted to. So many good memories with it. Haven't played Trouble in Paradise yet, but I hear it's essentially a big expansion to the original, to the point it makes including the original title mostly redundant. Excited to play it whenever I do.

Damn, I was hoping they'd be at least in higher resolution. I guess the PC versions are the way to go then?

Lothar

Banned
Dark Souls doesn't rely 100% on learning the levels. Battletoads is a bad action platformer, or whatever it's supposed to be. It's trying to do a lot of things and none of them are good. You basically have to learn every level in detail and one tiny miss could end the whole game. It's nowhere near fun and it's nowhere near a polished game. Poor controls, bad level design, falling through platforms, shoddy hit detection etc.

The Souls games also have other things going for them than the difficulty (they aren't that hard either for that matter).

Dark Souls is the same way. I died numerous times on the traps and enemies in Sen's Fortress until I memorized things like the timing with the pendulums and then was able to do it over and over without dying. I learned the level. The first time you meet a mimic in Sen's Fortress is as bullshit as anything in Battletoads, and unlike Battletoads you don't have lives so you don't get a second chance. One mistake and you go way back. At the top of Sen's Fortress is a boss that I died many times on. Then I had to climb the fortress again and again. That is until I complained to friend and he told me you have to jump from a ledge on the top to get to a bonfire. I felt like breaking the game when I heard that. What great level design.

Needing to know that the first time you meet the dragon on the bridge, you're supposed to run and avoid him and you're not supposed fight the skeletons in the beginning reminds me of Battletoads's Terra Tubes. You have to learn where to go and where not to go by dying. In Blighttown there's a part where toxic arrows fly out from the darkness, which means you're screwed and you don't even know how it happened. Then there's the archers in Anor Lando. The dinosaurs on Lost Izalith. I find it hard to believe anyone didn't die a bunch on all of those areas. Just like Battletoads, there are times you have to die to learn.

I died many times on each boss until I used trial and error to beat them. I spent weeks on Ornstein and Smough. Bed of Chaos was the final straw for me.

It takes a lot to get me too frustrated to finish but Dark Souls was it.

Battletoads was definitely the more forgiving and more fun game. At least in the hardest sections, you usually had 1-ups, you were getting lots of extra lives from points, and there were warps. If it was like Dark Souls, one death would send you to the beginning of the stage and your points would go to zero.

Top Bottom