• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Cindro

The cool thing about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is that you unlock cheats when you do certain challenges or beat the games on a certain difficulty. It's very fun to just mess around with the cheats once you unlock them. I still do that when I play one of those games on my n64 these days. The replay value is amazing. :p
I have very fond memories of paintball mode in Goldeneye - I noticed I was unlocking cheats after each mission in PD, but the menu layout is somewhat confusing so I didn't even bother to look for them. I've read that they disable achievements too, so I probably wouldn't mess with them for that reason alone. It's still an awesome relic of the N64 glory days, though - it's such a shame that cheat codes rarely exist in modern games now!

You really should give Perfect Dark a run on Perfect Agent at least once. It's basically a completely different game than what you play on Agent or Special Agent.
No way! I'm sure I would get slaughtered many times over on the way to the finish - I don't have the patience for retrying missions over and over. Don't get me wrong - the concept of layered objectives based on difficulty is fantastic and is a unique enough concept that it should definitely be far more common today - it's just not my particular cup of tea in this case since there are no mission checkpoints.

Eanan

Conker is a bit of a mess tbh. The platforming is wonky as hell and unresponsive.

Has Banjo aged better?

I dont get the conker hype at all.

Its pretty frustrating.Keep falling off ledges etc. Tempted to pack it in.

As someone that hasn't played both is there any reason to not skip straight to Trouble in Paradise instead of playing the first Viva Piñata?

daTRUballin

Nintendo is so proud of the game that they let 8-Bit Mario pop up in one of the games trailers XD!

mario-in-banjo-3-490.jpg

To be serious, I agree with you :). The game mirrors Mario Maker; letting you build the game you want to make and tackle challenges and the like however you want to face them :).

Back when this trailer for Nuts & Bolts came out, there were many Nintendo fans that were offended by the fact that Mario got beheaded by Banjo and Kazooie in the trailer. They were saying stuff like, "How could Rare do this?! How could they disrespect Mario/Nintendo?!", etc. It's petty funny reading some of the old threads and reading the overreactions. :p

I have very fond memories of paintball mode in Goldeneye - I noticed I was unlocking cheats after each mission in PD, but the menu layout is somewhat confusing so I didn't even bother to look for them. I've read that they disable achievements too, so I probably wouldn't mess with them for that reason alone. It's still an awesome relic of the N64 glory days, though - it's such a shame that cheat codes rarely exist in modern games now!

No way! I'm sure I would get slaughtered many times over on the way to the finish - I don't have the patience for retrying missions over and over. Don't get me wrong - the concept of layered objectives based on difficulty is fantastic and is a unique enough concept that it should definitely be far more common today - it's just not my particular cup of tea in this case since there are no mission checkpoints.

Call of Duty 4 had some cheats that were pretty fun, but they didn't have any cheats in any of the other CODs that came after for some reason. :/

Dingles

How do you get a platinum in Blast Corps exactly?

Beat a stage in what seems to be platinum time (from what I've looked at online - 12 seconds Sideswipe stage). Only got gold!

Sydle

Think I ran into a bug in JFG, need help. Early in the game where you destroy a switch on the wall to drop electric barriers on cells holding several tribals and Vela. Only one of the barriers dropped, leaving everyone else trapped.

Vela has the key and I can't get to her, so I'm not sure what to do.

Just beat Banjo-Koozie. Forgot about the 9 music notes that you could miss in Rusty Bucket Bay. Going to play Conker to relax before Tooie.

JRW

So does everyone playing this know that nuts and bolts is the best game there yet?

Indeed! I remember back when I played through Nuts & Bolts on Xbox360 and absolutely loving it, I then watched Jontron's review on YouTube and unsubscribed to his channel afterwards, he treated it like the worst game ever lol... I don't have time for closed minded individuals.

TedHub

Banned
Inverted aim only inverts movement while aiming. No option for movement when you're not.

So what happens is if your aiming, move the right stick feels like any modern shooter with the cursor moving in the difection you want it to. Drop the aim, and turning the right stick right shofts the camera to the left and so on.

Oh, huh. That's confusing as hell, wow.

Think I ran into a bug in JFG, need help. Early in the game where you destroy a switch on the wall to drop electric barriers on cells holding several tribals and Vela. Only one of the barriers dropped, leaving everyone else trapped.

Vela has the key and I can't get to her, so I'm not sure what to do.

There is other panels in the other rooms prior. Have to shoot those to unlock more.

Inverted aim only inverts movement while aiming. No option for movement when you're not.

So what happens is if your aiming, move the right stick feels like any modern shooter with the cursor moving in the difection you want it to. Drop the aim, and pushing the right stick to the right pans the Camera to the left and so on.

Pushing the right stick to the right when not aiming sidesteps right, and the camera gently pivots left so it matches the way the character is facing.

Roto13

I suffered through a mission in Perfect Dark Zero so I could get the save file for it and then played Perfect Dark and it didn't unlock any cheats. Is that not in this version?

Lothar

Banned
No one has the time to learn a game like Battletoads nowadays. Especially not when there are plenty of other much better games in this collection.

But the fun of Battletoads is conquering the challenge. It's not dying, rewind, dying, rewind, and basically skipping over the challenge. Unless you give it a real try (not using rewind), how would you know there are plenty of better games? I think of Battletoads on NES the same way people think of Dark Souls for the last generation. Would you want to rewind over every death in Dark Souls? There would be no point to playing it then.

Roto13

But the fun of Battletoads is conquering the challenge. It's not dying, rewind, dying, rewind, and basically skipping over the challenge. Unless you give it a real try (not using rewind), how would you know there are plenty of better games? I think of Battletoads on NES the same way people think of Dark Souls for the last generation. Would you want to rewind over every death in Dark Souls? There would be no point to playing it then.

No, Battletoads was a crap game back when we didn't have rewind. It's not worth playing without it.

Lothar

Banned
No, Battletoads was a crap game back when we didn't have rewind. It's not worth playing without it.

What a stupid post.

It didn't become hugely popular when it came out because it was a crap game. It's certainly one of the best games on NES and one of the best Rare titles.

Roto13

What a stupid post.

It didn't become hugely popular when it came out because it was a crap game. It's certainly one of the best games on NES and one of the best Rare titles.

It became popular purely because that kind of thing was in at the time. It's basically Ninja Turtles in space with random bits of grossout humour for good measure. It was honestly never even that popular. Just kind of memorable.

Sorry your favourite game is garbage, though.

Korosenai

What does it change or improve?
More pinatas, items, new areas (desert and snow). Trouble in Paradise is definitely the better game. If you plan on playing both anyways, I'd play them in order. If you play the second one first, you probably aren't going to like the first one as much when you finally finish the second one.

Cynn

I dont get the conker hype at all.

Its pretty frustrating.Keep falling off ledges etc. Tempted to pack it in.
You gotta play Live and Reloaded. The RR version has really, really bad emulation. I hope it gets a patch. Banjo runs flawlessly and looks amazing... Conker is a mess.

This collection has turned more people on to Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts. That's a long overdue thing! So many people bashed the games without trying them.

Gotta have N&B's emulation cleaned up though. I'm personally discovering Kameo and it plays flawlessly!

Roto13

You gotta play Live and Reloaded. The RR version has really, really bad emulation. I hope it gets a patch. Banjo runs flawlessly and looks amazing... Conker is a mess.

This collection has turned more people on to Viva Pinata and Nuts and Bolts. That's a long overdue thing! So many people bashed the games without trying them.

Gotta have N&B's emulation cleaned up though. I'm personally discovering Kameo and it plays flawlessly!

Banjo-Kazooie is a proper port to 360 so naturally it runs better than the emulated N64 games like Conker.

I'm kiiiiind of looking forward to giving Nuts & Bolts a try after finally playing Tooie. It's right there on my hard drive so I might as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Son of a bitch, the war chapter in Conker. The controls are similar to the launch jet force gemini, where you walk around with the right stick and aim with the left(and it's inverted).

Indeed! I remember back when I played through Nuts & Bolts on Xbox360 and absolutely loving it, I then watched Jontron's review on YouTube and unsubscribed to his channel afterwards, he treated it like the worst game ever lol... I don't have time for closed minded individuals.

Yeah I still like a lot of jontrons stuff, but he essentially turned a generation of people, the YouTube generation away from this game because it's "noooot theeee sammmeeee!!!" And it's now become the de facto response video for idiots who are too close minded to try the game and form their own opinions, damn shame too, something tells me the Minecraft generation would love this game.

Cynn

Banjo-Kazooie is a proper port to 360 so naturally it runs better than the emulated N64 games like Conker.

It's a proper port... To another console that the X1 is emulating. I feel like we got kinda lucky it's as good as it is. I'd love to see Live and Reloaded given the Ghoulies treatment. (and additional censorship removed) 1080p / 60. I'd pay for that. Surely MS intends to keep patching core games in the collection though. No excuse for those N64 emulators not to work perfectly eventually.

Brannon

Aw man, Perfect Dark Zero! It's been so long since I played it. I wonder why I have residual negative feelings...

*Very first level*

"Hey Joanna, shoot that spider bot*

*Press stick to look at spider bot*

Time and eternity passes me by, and the heat death of the universe is but a distant memory in the annals of infinity

*Joanna finally looks at the spider bot*

...oh yeah, the one game that rivals Heavenly Sword and Enslaved in goddamned input lag. No. Hell no. Fuck THAT.

Nori Chan

Just finished the snapshots :)
This game is a pain. It's been an hour now searching for the last piece. I dig the design of everything though, must have been a trip to play this back in the day.

Here's a great map that tells you the possible spots of the amulet. It took me maybe 20 minutes following this map and I got all the achievements/stamps from that play through.

Really good map

Eanan

Those graphics for Conker L&R are amazing for when they were released. They could pass now for a arcade Xbox One release even though they're a decade old. Such a shame they didn't use this version instead of the original.

Korosenai

Man, perfect dark zero is so hard online. I'm shooting at people missing every shot because it's impossible to aim, and then the same guy I'm shooting two shots me and gets a headshot.

Bought an Xbox One for this. Couldn't resist. Have played every game from Blast Corps onwards EXCEPT Conker so I'm playing that first (it's amazing so far). Haven't ever played ANY of the old stuff except Battletoads so which of those should I tackle first when I'm done with Conker? Anything that will blow me away?

Top Bottom