• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

RK128

I love pretty much all of this.

I'd take more Conker from TD because they did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with, but I would hope it's built outside of Project Spark.

Give TD the engine and its tools form Live and Reloaded, a decent budget and two years of dev. time and close it off with the Conker creator supervising the project (similar to the KI creator supervised the development of KI Season 1); you have a great game ready to be made :).

MadmanUK

Just wasted an hour of my life playing through Battletoads Arcade as it's the only game I've not played before. Man it was rough.

Korosenai

Is there a Rare community rep or something on Twitter?
I dunno if it's glitched our broken, but my wife and I cannot send crates to each other in Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

The servers for the Viva Piñata games are shut down, so you're no longer able to share crates. You can't share blue prints in Nuts & Bolts either, but the multiplayer should still work fine.
So that's what was wrong... I tried tweeting Rare twice about it but they never replied.

Online multi, co-op, and counter-op
Sweet! Is there a pretty good sized community for this game? Perfect Dark Zero doesn't have many people, but you can find matches pretty fast.

Sydle

I'm having a lot of fun with Jet Force Gemini now that I'm used to the controls. I had this on the N64 but never got around to getting past the first level because it didn't click with me at the time.

I've heard the game gets really hard, so I'll stick it out as long as I can.

RK128

I'm having a lot of fun with Jet Force Gemini now that I'm used to the controls. I had this on the N64 but never got around to getting past the first level because it didn't click with me at the time.

I've heard the game gets really hard, so I'll stick it out as long as I can.

The hardest part of Jet Force is the item collection system sadly :(. Unlike in other Banjo games/DK 64, your collectables can DIE (the tribal's) if your not careful, so if they die and you don't collect all of them, you might have to replay the level again :l.

With the 'modern' control options (strafing with the left stick, aiming with the right stick, triggers to shoot, A to jump, ect), the game should be a lot more manageable then it was on the N64, so have fun with it :D.

Sydle

The hardest part of Jet Force is the item collection system sadly :(. Unlike in other Banjo games/DK 64, your collectables can DIE (the tribal's) if your not careful, so if they die and you don't collect all of them, you might have to replay the level again :l.

With the 'modern' control options (strafing with the left stick, aiming with the right stick, triggers to shoot, A to jump, ect), the game should be a lot more manageable then it was on the N64, so have fun with it :D.

Wait, you have to save all of them in every level?

hawk2025

Eeehhhh.

I've seen zero indication that Team Dakota can do anything approaching solid gameplay.

I'd rather them give the project to someone else.

daTRUballin

Sorry but history disagrees with this

I don't think Rare is special where they had more games cancelled than other studios...every studio has cancelled games.

And not letting them release games they were working on? Hell, they let them release games on friggin Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS that they were working on before acquisition (like Banjo-Pilot, which was originally Diddy Kong Pilot), well into 2007.

And regarding Kinect Sports, their employees and upper management have all been pretty adamant that they weren't forced to do Kinect Sports. It was a hit, sold a crap ton, and they wanted to continue doing so. Was every employee happy? Of course not. Rare isn't different than any other workplace. However they have been on record multiple times that they always have a choice of what they work on next.

Do I think they should have worked on their established IP instead? Sure. I think you could have slapped any team on Kinect games, you don't need an IP rich team to do it. But, the sales speak for themselves, and Rare made MS a lot of money with Kinect Sports so I wouldn't really classify it as poor management in that sense.

I think it's pretty telling when their games are cancelled left and right under Microsoft, whilst they didn't have too many projects cancelled under Nintendo. And the fact that they let them release games on Nintendo handhelds doesn't really justify them. They didn't let them release all those projects they cancelled. You wouldn't believe the amount of canned projects they had. There was like 20 of them or something. Everybody always criticizes Rare these days for having a lower output than during the N64 days, but that's only because Microsoft didn't let them release all those games!

And I agree that Rare working on Kinect Sports isn't necessarily bad management since it sold a crap ton, but there were obviously many employees and fans that weren't happy about this. And I wouldn't trust what Rare says if I were you. They obviously wouldn't come out and say that Microsoft forced them on Kinect if they did.

Bsigg12

Eeehhhh.

I've seen zero indication that Team Dakota can do anything approaching solid gameplay.

The same was thought of Double Helix before Killer Instinct and then they delivered a great product. I think given the right project, a studio can really create something special.

--------------------

Banjo Tooie is huge. I had completely forgotten.

hawk2025

The same was thought of Double Helix before Killer Instinct and then they delivered a great product. I think given the right project, a studio can really create something special.

And that's great what happened with Double Helix -- quite uncommon, too. I'd rather not take that chance.

RK128

Eeehhhh.

Considering Team Dakota didn't have much to work with (their engine not built for a game like Conker, likely small budget, ect), they did a solid job with the Conker Spark content :).

More funding, help from Rare (with the Conker creator voicing characters and guiding the team) and it running on the Live and Reloaded Engine, it could end up being a nice return for the IP :).

You could give the IP to Sanzaru or Insomniac, but I don't think they would do it.

And like another poster said, very few had hope in Double Helix to make a great fighting game after making a really bad Silent Hill game, but yet they did with KI Season 1 :). Giving Team Dakota big shot can do wonders I believe :D.

Fucking hell

Grabbed by Ghoulies presentation/style/tone is FUCKING GOD-TIER

Dat first achievement title <3<3<3

Definitely setting it aside for this October (^____^)

RK128

I think it's pretty telling when their games are cancelled left and right under Microsoft, whilst they didn't have too many projects cancelled under Nintendo. And the fact that they let them release games on Nintendo handhelds doesn't really justify them. They didn't let them release all those projects they cancelled. You wouldn't believe the amount of canned projects they had. There was like 20 of them or something. Everybody always criticizes Rare these days for having a lower output than during the N64 days, but that's only because Microsoft didn't let them release all those games!

And I agree that Rare working on Kinect Sports isn't necessarily bad management since it sold a crap ton, but there were obviously many employees and fans that weren't happy about this. And I wouldn't trust what Rare says if I were you. They obviously wouldn't come out and say that Microsoft forced them on Kinect if they did.

I agree with you; the reason their N64 output was so high (and arguably their mid-2000 era) was due to their projects getting green-lit left and right, leading to them jumping into the developmental phase very quickly them most other studios :). There is a BIG reason the N64 got 7+ Rare games after all (not counting moved/changed projects like Project Dream, Conker's 12 Tales 64 and Dinosuar Planet) XD.

With the early Xbox years, Microsoft told them "Do what you want; make us money!" and that lead to many former GC projects becoming Xbox titles (GbtG in 2003, Conker Live and Reloaded in 2005), projects being moved to the 360 for its launch (Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo in 2005) and that lead to Saburman Stamped being scrapped due to that team being dragged into helping the Kameo/Perfect Dark Zero teams get their game ready for launch.

Shit hit the fan, respectfully during 2006, where many teams were working on things:
-Conker team: Horror game pitches
-Perfect Dark Zero team: Perfect Dark Core
-Kameo team: Kameo 2, Crackdown 2
-Banjo/DKC Team: Viva Pinata and Banjo 3
-Starfox Adventures/Jet Force Gemini Team: Various other projects/helping other teams out

But every team but the Banjo/DKC team was faced with various cancalations during 2007/2008 due to Microsoft wanting Rare to make 'family-friendly' games....leading to those teams leaving Rare during the Kinect era or being layed off :'(.

The Banjo/DKC teams were content with things, as they got to make their Banjo 3 (though different then it was on the GC/Xbox) and a new IP (Viva Pinata); they just left at the right time after the Kinect era to form Playtonic and thus Yooka-Laylee was born :').

Not sure what happened to the Starfox Adv./Jet Force team, but I would likely guess that they either got rolled into the Banjo/DKC team or stuck around due to not minding the Kinect work (they never got to make sequels/games they wanted but likely enjoyed working at Rare; Saburman Stamped was their last solo project before being scrapped due to Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero needing help :'().

Right now, Rare is at a good place despite all of this bad blood between them and Microsoft.
-They can make mature games again (Sea of Thieves, hints at Battletoads coming back, and the KI revival under Double Helix/Iron Galaxy all prove this)
-Microsoft is giving them more freedom (they have four developmental barns now, so multiple projects can happen at once)
-Some people from Rare's past are still there (at least some of the Banjo team is around despite a number of them moving to Playtonic)
-Rare Replay came out; shows that this 'new' rare respects their past history and accepts its warts and all (why else would they have a few scrapped games included as videos or their more 'bad' games like Goules in the mix?)
-Sea of Thieves shows them making 'big' games again

Salty Hippo

Conker game developed by Project Spark studio

iK0nBIFOBV8te.gif

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone know what the smash hit attacks are in Battletoads Arcade? I've beaten it twice but only have 56 of the 100 kills you need for the milestone.

daTRUballin

I agree with you; the reason their N64 output was so high (and arguably their mid-2000 era) was due to their projects getting green-lit left and right, leading to them jumping into the developmental phase very quickly them most other studios :). There is a BIG reason the N64 got 7+ Rare games after all (not counting moved/changed projects like Project Dream, Conker's 12 Tales 64 and Dinosuar Planet) XD.

With the early Xbox years, Microsoft told them "Do what you want; make us money!" and that lead to many former GC projects becoming Xbox titles (GbtG in 2003, Conker Live and Reloaded in 2005), projects being moved to the 360 for its launch (Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo in 2005) and that lead to Saburman Stamped being scrapped due to that team being dragged into helping the Kameo/Perfect Dark Zero teams get their game ready for launch.

Shit hit the fan, respectfully during 2006, where many teams were working on things:
-Conker team: Horror game pitches
-Perfect Dark Zero team: Perfect Dark Core
-Kameo team: Kameo 2, Crackdown 2
-Banjo/DKC Team: Viva Pinata and Banjo 3
-Starfox Adventures/Jet Force Gemini Team: Various other projects/helping other teams out

But every team but the Banjo/DKC team was faced with various cancalations during 2007/2008 due to Microsoft wanting Rare to make 'family-friendly' games....leading to those teams leaving Rare during the Kinect era or being layed off :'(.

The Banjo/DKC teams were content with things, as they got to make their Banjo 3 (though different then it was on the GC/Xbox) and a new IP (Viva Pinata); they just left at the right time after the Kinect era to form Playtonic and thus Yooka-Laylee was born :').

Not sure what happened to the Starfox Adv./Jet Force team, but I would likely guess that they either got rolled into the Banjo/DKC team or stuck around due to not minding the Kinect work (they never got to make sequels/games they wanted but likely enjoyed working at Rare; Saburman Stamped was their last solo project before being scrapped due to Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero needing help :'().

Right now, Rare is at a good place despite all of this bad blood between them and Microsoft.
-They can make mature games again (Sea of Thieves, hints at Battletoads coming back, and the KI revival under Double Helix/Iron Galaxy all prove this)
-Microsoft is giving them more freedom (they have four developmental barns now, so multiple projects can happen at once)
-Some people from Rare's past are still there (at least some of the Banjo team is around despite a number of them moving to Playtonic)
-Rare Replay came out; shows that this 'new' rare respects their past history and accepts its warts and all (why else would they have a few scrapped games included as videos or their more 'bad' games like Goules in the mix?)
-Sea of Thieves shows them making 'big' games again

They actually had 11 games on the N64. That is an insane amount of games in a 5 year period! And I'm going to correct you and say that Conker: Live & Reloaded was actually never a GC game. :p

But yeah, they seem to have more freedom nowadays under Phil Spencer. So we definitely should expect great things from them.

Sydle

Anyone know what the smash hit attacks are in Battletoads Arcade? I've beaten it twice but only have 56 of the 100 kills you need for the milestone.

I don't know how you beat that game.

You ever stream? Would tune in to watch someone good do a play through.

RK128

They actually had 11 games on the N64. That is an insane amount of games in a 5 year period! And I'm going to correct you and say that Conker: Live & Reloaded was actually never a GC game. :p

But yeah, they seem to have more freedom nowadays under Phil Spencer. So we definitely should expect great things from them.

Feel a bit stupid XD! I remember saying that after the Microsoft buy out, Microsoft was interested in another Conker game and after some talks with the Conker them, they decided to make the Live and Reloaded remake to drive up interest in the IP.

Sadly, it didn't sell very well, leading to Microsoft lacking confidence in the Conker studios projects (another possible reason so many of the Conker teams projects got scrapped; Microsoft thought they would be a money pit with no shot at success, completely ignoring the impact Bad Fur Day had; a cult classic).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
-Banjo team must be working on something new
Sorry but what Banjo team? As far as we know, there is one huge Sea of Thieves team of 80% of the studio and one 20% team which probably was working on Rare Replay in the past and is on the Unity engine now, I'd guess in order to develop Battletoads Bone. Where do you get information that there is a Banjo team within Rare?
They were never really clear on how this worked. I think it was a save file or having a PDZ achievement before you ever started up PDXBLA. If you ever start up PDXBLA before ever having a PDZ cheev/save, it won't give you the free cheat unlock.

Either way, once they fix the BC issue of PD XBLA 360 and PD XBLA 360 via BC not being able to co-op, I could sherpa anyone that wants Perfect Agent completions through co-op (I still only have a 360)

edit: also of note for PDXBLA: you can help people quickly unlock all guns for multiplayer by just starting matches with different guns in each slot, then letting people run around and pick them up, then having it be 1 kill to win the game. Will only take you about 5 matches.

Can you not even do it locally? I was planning on buying a second Bone controller to do it with my cousin, who is a huge shooter fan (I hate shooters, but I like playing something with him and I at least get Kirkhope music).

I think a big part of all the N64 development is that projects were much smaller back then. Rare did best with small teams and that couldn't really happen last generation with any success. With all the middleware nowadays and using Unity and Unreal Engine 4 I think Rare can get back to leaner development teams leading to a higher quantity of output.

RK128

Sorry but what Banjo team? As far as we know, there is one huge Sea of Thieves team of 80% of the studio and one 20% team which probably was working on Rare Replay in the past and is on the Unity engine now, I'd guess in order to develop Battletoads Bone. Where do you get information that there is a Banjo team within Rare?

They have four developmental barns at Rare if this interview is anything to go by (starts at 0:33), so one of those teams is likely the Banjo team.

So, I'm sorry if I'm wrong :(.

Only mention the Banjo team due their being four developmental barns; once work on Rare Replay is complete, that team can help out either the team working on Battletoads or whatever the Banjo team is working on.

daTRUballin

Feel a bit stupid XD! I remember saying that after the Microsoft buy out, Microsoft was interested in another Conker game and after some talks with the Conker them, they decided to make the Live and Reloaded remake to drive up interest in the IP.

Sadly, it didn't sell very well, leading to Microsoft lacking confidence in the Conker studios projects (another possible reason so many of the Conker teams projects got scrapped; Microsoft thought they would be a money pit with no shot at success, completely ignoring the impact Bad Fur Day had; a cult classic).

I've also heard that Nuts & Bolts was made because of the Conker remake not selling well. Rare was working on a Banjo Kazooie remake on the original Xbox at some point (I'm not sure if this was Banjo X or not), and when the Conker remake bombed, MS became paranoid about releasing 3d platformers on their systems, so that's why Nuts & Bolts was so different from the other games. They thought 3d platformers wouldn't sell anymore. I'm not sure if this is true or not, though.

RK128

I've also heard that Nuts & Bolts was made because of the Conker remake not selling well. Rare was working on a Banjo Kazooie remake on the original Xbox at some point (I'm not sure if this was Banjo X or not), and when the Conker remake bombed, MS became paranoid about releasing 3d platformers on their systems, so that's why Nuts & Bolts was so different from the other games. They thought 3d platformers wouldn't sell anymore. I'm not sure if this is true or not, though.

You are right, as when Grant was a guest on Grumps, he even commented on the subject here at (starts at 58:00 in the linked video).

Sydle

Can you not even do it locally? I was planning on buying a second Bone controller to do it with my cousin, who is a huge shooter fan (I hate shooters, but I like playing something with him and I at least get Kirkhope music).

A week or so ago I was looking for a reference on where that figure originated but couldn't find one. Where did you hear it?

You are right, as when Grant was a guest on Grumps, he even commented on the subject here at (starts at 58:00 in the linked video).

Hadn't heard that before, interesting. Kirkhope says very clearly it was a decision among senior Rare staff though, which conflicts with the rumors that MS made them change it.

daTRUballin

I think a big part of all the N64 development is that projects were much smaller back then. Rare did best with small teams and that couldn't really happen last generation with any success. With all the middleware nowadays and using Unity and Unreal Engine 4 I think Rare can get back to leaner development teams leading to a higher quantity of output.

Let's just hope Microsoft won't cancel every single project they work on! That was also a big reason why their output was so low last gen.

Yeah, this is probably where I heard it from in the first place. I remember watching that video when it was first uploaded. :p

RK128

Hadn't heard that before, interesting. Kirkhope says very clearly it was a decision among senior Rare staff though, which conflicts with the rumors that MS made them change it.

I never believed that Microsoft forced the Banjo/DKC team to transform the Banjo remake/Banjo 3 into Nuts & Bolts; they gave the Banjo/DKC team a lot of freedom due to them making the Kid-friendly/family games they wanted on the 360 (so few of their projects outside of Fast & The Furriest being scrapped, and that game was scrapped due to it coming after Nuts & Bolts, as then it was the Kinect era and Rare put EVERYONE on that project going forward for a few years).

They figured that due to Conker not selling, they re-work what they have done and convert it into a Minecraft/Lego Builder housing elements that made the Banjo series so special. People loved the end game (while others strongly dislike it due to it not being a Banjo 3) and people wanting a 'true' Banjo are getting one through Yooka-Laylee next year/2017, so that side of Rare is much less tragic then what happened to the other teams over the years.

I love this collection so much more than I thought I would.

So far, Grabbed by the Ghoulies is a real standout. I'm kicking myself for not playing this on the OG Xbox.

tim1138

So that's what was wrong... I tried tweeting Rare twice about it but they never replied.

Sweet! Is there a pretty good sized community for this game? Perfect Dark Zero doesn't have many people, but you can find matches pretty fast.

Rare just tweeted me back and said it should still work in TiP, maybe it's something that can be corrected

RK128

I love this collection so much more than I thought I would.

So far, Grabbed by the Ghoulies is a real standout. I'm kicking myself for not playing this on the OG Xbox.

It looks like a game that was good/great but really held back due to the almost vile backlash Rare/Microsoft got from switching sides from Nintendo back then (same deal during the early 360 era). The only Rare games under Microsoft that are honestly bad are Perfect Dark Zero (a few issues really holding the game back) and debatable their Kinect games (solidly built games but not the games you would expect have the Rare name :l).

Everything they made on Xbox and 360 had that Rare charm and their games are the only things I miss from not buying Xbox systems :(; always wanted to play Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Pinta and Nuts & Bolts X(.

It looks like a game that was good/great but really held back due to the almost vile backlash Rare/Microsoft got from switching sides from Nintendo back then (same deal during the early 360 era). The only Rare games under Microsoft that are honestly bad are Perfect Dark Zero (a few issues really holding the game back) and debatable their Kinect games (solidly built games but not the games you would expect have the Rare name :l).

Everything they made on Xbox and 360 had that Rare charm and their games are the only things I miss from not buying Xbox systems :(; always wanted to play Ghoulies, Kameo, Viva Pinta and Nuts & Bolts X().

Yep, I owned an Xbox back in 2003, and I remember that the negative hype around the game was intense. It was basically "MS paid how much $ to buy Rare for this???"

daTRUballin

I never believed that Microsoft forced the Banjo/DKC team to transform the Banjo remake/Banjo 3 into Nuts & Bolts; they gave the Banjo/DKC team a lot of freedom due to them making the Kid-friendly/family games they wanted on the 360 (so few of their projects outside of Fast & The Furriest being scrapped, and that game was scrapped due to it coming after Nuts & Bolts, as then it was the Kinect era and Rare put EVERYONE on that project going forward for a few years).

They figured that due to Conker not selling, they re-work what they have done and convert it into a Minecraft/Lego Builder housing elements that made the Banjo series so special. People loved the end game (while others strongly dislike it due to it not being a Banjo 3) and people wanting a 'true' Banjo are getting one through Yooka-Laylee next year/2017, so that side of Rare is much less tragic then what happened to the other teams over the years.

Before I knew what GAF was, I always thought that Microsoft forced Rare to turn Banjo into a vehicle building game. I remember watching Youtube videos and reading the comments and people were always blaming Microsoft for it. It wasn't until I found GAF that I found out it was Rare's decision to make Nuts & Bolts the way it was.

RK128

Yep, I owned an Xbox back in 2003, and I remember that the negative hype around the game was intense. It was basically "MS paid how much $ to buy Rare for this???"

Yet people failed to realize that their 'bigger' games were coming (at the time, Kameo, Saburman Stamped, Conker Live and Reloaded and Perfect Dark Zero).

....It was just that Microsoft launched the 360 a bit to quickly, leading to Xbox projects being moved to the 360 (Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero), Conker suffering due to little advertisement and its censoring, and a Xbox project dying to get Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero ready for the 360 launch (Saburman Stamped :'().

sangreal

The only Rare games under Microsoft that are honestly bad are Perfect Dark Zero (a few issues really holding the game back) and debatable their Kinect games (solidly built games but not the games you would expect have the Rare name :l)

Hey now... KSR is pretty terrible even for Kinect game standards. $60 for 4 pretty bad minigames. Only saving grace was the avatar creator which somehow didn't make it into the core system

The other Kinect Sports titles were fine though

RK128

Hey now... KSR is pretty terrible even for Kinect game standards. $60 for 4 pretty bad minigames. Only saving grace was the avatar creator which somehow didn't make it into the core system

Expected that to be strong, considering its the only Microsoft-backed Kinect game. Sorry about saying what I said then about their Kinect stuff.

Sydle

I'm surprised they used something like Conker Live & Reloaded, which was remake of on of their lowest selling N64 games, released on Xbox only a handful of months before the 360, to gauge interests in platformers. I know he cites that the platformer genre in general was slipping in the market, but the success of games like Ratchet & Clank Future and Mario Galaxy proved there was still a market for legacy franchises.

I loved Nuts & Bolts, but Banjo being in it had nothing to do with my enjoyment. In fact, I think making it a Banjo game held back the concept.

I really hope Banjo gets another shot someday.

The wave race game is pretty good though. They should have just released a $20 arcade-like game out of that event (with more tracks and event types) with Kinect and controller support.

Aren't there unlimited amount of coins/continue?

I guess I'm just terrible at it.

RK128

I'm surprised they used something like Conker Live & Reloaded, which was remake of on of their lowest selling N64 games, released on Xbox only a handful of months before the 360, to gauge interests in platformers. I know he cites that the platformer genre in general was slipping in the market, but the success of games like Ratchet & Clank Future and Mario Galaxy proved there was still a market for legacy franchises.

I loved Nuts & Bolts, but Banjo being in it had nothing to do with my enjoyment. In fact, I think making it a Banjo game held back the concept.

I really hope Banjo gets another shot someday.

Next to Battletoads coming next year (very likely with all the hints and cameos), Banjo must be next after it.

The series got a 360 release (alongside XBLA ports of the first two games), so Microsoft sees value in the IP. The remaining Banjo team still at Rare and the Rare Replay team are likely working on that now, with it and Battletoads being the 'big' Rare games for the next 1-2 years alongside their new IP Sea of Thieves :).

Top Bottom