• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

RK128

Yeah, the Banjo/DKC team always mostly worked on family friendly games, even during the Nintendo days. It was the other teams who were having their projects cancelled left and right.

Overall, Microsoft's management of the studio was a missed opportunity. Why would you buy a developer with such a great pedigree for half a billion dollars and not even advertise their games? Not to mention not even letting them release all those games they were working on. Their management of Rare was very strange during those days. :/

Its just nice seeing Microsoft having better management of the studio now, as from my perspective, they have a lot coming that is already announced or hinted at :).
2015: Rare Replay
2016: Sea of Thieves, Battletoads, Rare Replay DLC

And I hope this happens as well :D.
2016: Rash and Kameo appear as guests in KI Season 3, Announcement of Banjo-Kazooie X1 developed by the Banjo/DKC team and Conker game developed by Project Spark studio (with Rare overseeing development), Battletoads launches Aug. 2016 while Sea of Thieves launches Nov. 2016
2017: Sea of Thieves content updates throughout the year (with Project Dream-themed content launching near the Banjo X1 launch), Banjo X1 launches Nov. 2017, Conker launches Aug. 2017
2018: Hint at Kameo appearing in future games and have the series be hinted as much as Battletoads is now, Announce revived Fast and the Furriest and Kameo 2 at E3 2018, Former launches Fall 2018 while latter is a 2019 title
2019: Kameo big game for that year, new IP created by the team who made X1 Battletoads game announced (fall 2019 release before Kameo), new IP by the Banjo team announced
2020: If X1 successor is announced, new IP by Banjo team comes to that. If no X1 successor is announced, another new IP announced developed by the team that made Sea of Thieves

While this thinking is a bit far-fetched, consider the following :).
-Rare Replay has a number of these IP featured in it; exposure to future sequels and mentioning of scrapped projects (Fast & the Furriest and Kameo 2) could be used for building up interest in new versions of those games
-Banjo team must be working on something new
-Battletoads IS coming with all the hints we've been getting
-Project Spark team didn't just get the rights to play with the Conker IP in that Spark Content Pack for no reason. Maybe this could also answer why Live and Reloaded isn't in Rare Replay; they are saving that for next year as a digital title to drive up hype for a Conker sequel
-Project Dream's prototype has been hinted at from Stampers (I think?) post about it alongside Dream content being in Rare Replay (music from the game alongside it being mentioned in the 'Behind the Scenes' of Banjo-Kazooie).

Sorry if this post is long, but I really am excited about what future stuff Rare does and I might just get an X1 to see all of these things happen (hopefully) :D!

daTRUballin

Its just nice seeing Microsoft having better management of the studio now, as from my perspective, they have a lot coming that is already announced or hinted at :).

2016: Rash and Kameo appear as guests in KI Season 3, Announcement of Banjo-Kazooie X1 developed by the Banjo/DKC team and Conker game developed by Project Spark studio (with Rare overseeing development), Battletoads launches Aug. 2016 while Sea of Thieves launches Nov. 2016
2017: Sea of Thieves content updates throughout the year (with Project Dream-themed content launching near the Banjo X1 launch), Banjo X1 launches Nov. 2017, Conker launches Aug. 2017
2018: Hint at Kameo appearing in future games and have the series be hinted as much as Battletoads is now, Announce revived Fast and the Furriest and Kameo 2 at E3 2018, Former launches Fall 2018 while latter is a 2019 title
2019: Kameo big game for that year, new IP created by the team who made X1 Battletoads game announced (fall 2019 release before Kameo), new IP by the Banjo team announced
2020: If X1 successor is announced, new IP by Banjo team comes to that. If no X1 successor is announced, another new IP announced developed by the team that made Sea of Thieves

-Rare Replay has a number of these IP featured in it; exposure to future sequels and mentioning of scrapped projects (Fast & the Furriest and Kameo 2) could be used for building up interest in new versions of those games
-Project Spark team didn't just get the rights to play with the Conker IP in that Spark Content Pack for no reason. Maybe this could also answer why Live and Reloaded isn't in Rare Replay; they are saving that for next year as a digital title to drive up hype for a Conker sequel
-Project Dream's prototype has been hinted at from Stampers (I think?) post about it alongside Dream content being in Rare Replay (music from the game alongside it being mentioned in the 'Behind the Scenes' of Banjo-Kazooie).

Sorry if this post is long, but I really am excited about what future stuff Rare does and I might just get an X1 to see all of these things happen (hopefully) :D!

Yeah I agree, this is definitely the right time to be a Rare fan. :p

Although I don't really agree that Rare's IPs need to be outsourced. I would love to see what the current talent at Rare could do with some of their old IPs. I would love to see a new Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, etc by the "new" Rare. They have lots of talented and young people there, maybe they have some nice fresh ideas for these franchises.

I would want Rare to have a chance at developing sequels to their own IPs first. It'll be like a test to see if they can make worthy follow ups to these franchises. If they make sequels to Banjo, Conker, Perfect Dark, Battletoads etc, and if the sequels suck, then MS/Rare can outsource the IPs however they want to. :p

Rich!

What? It's the same thing. New Conker looks like a hobo on the throne.

More
ffpUkVvm.png
8XaUAgs.png

rfgxGfF.png

6KtZilUm.png
H2rhHDym.png

He's supposed to look disheveled, hungover and in need of a shave dude

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What good sites are there for viva piñata guides? Basic stuff like if a geckie is eating my will they go extinct if I don't manually breed them? Do you have to keep planting flowers because the piñatas keep eating them? Any basic tips for starting out.

Why not Banjo, Conker, Battletoads, or Perfect Dark? I would love to see how a modern take would be like on these franchises.

Well they were just my personal picks. I never had a NES so never understood battle toads, and the others are either third person platformers which are a bit thin on the ground, or an FPS which is already well populated.

Liamc723

I have absolutely no connection or nostalgia for any of these games since I grew up with a PS1. Is this collection still worth it to me?

I'm loving Conker (first time ever playing it) but man, they should've made it a locked 30fps and touched up the shooting controls at least.

Compared to the Banjo and Perfect Dark remasters, Conker just seems... Lacking.

That plus the achievements are a joke. Only 3 achievements for the SP progression and the rest are MP achievements.

Game deserved better.

Is there any difference between the amount of HD space taken up by an installed physical game, and a downloaded digital one? If not, I might sell my physical copy and get a digital one, as it would be nice to have these games quickly available at any time.

daTRUballin

What good sites are there for viva piñata guides? Basic stuff like if a geckie is eating my will they go extinct if I don't manually breed them? Do you have to keep planting flowers because the piñatas keep eating them? Any basic tips for starting out.

Well they were just my personal picks. I never had a NES so never understood battle toads, and the others are either third person platformers which are a bit thin on the ground, or an FPS which is already well populated.

I never had an NES either, but I still think it'd be interesting to see how a new Battletoads would be like. I agree with you on Perfect Dark. A new entry in that series is probably the least interesting to me because there are SO many FPSs these days. :p

And what did you mean by "thin on the ground"?

That plus the achievements are a joke. Only 3 achievements for the SP progression and the rest are MP achievements.

Game deserved better.
Yeah, it definitely needs more attention than any game in the collection :(

Well I guess at this point I hope they add Live and Reloaded and make it 1080p/60fps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I never had an NES either, but I still think it'd be interesting to see how a new Battletoads would be like. I agree with you on Perfect Dark. A new entry in that series is probably the least interesting to me because there are SO many FPSs these days. :p

And what did you mean by "thin on the ground"?

I guess I meant more 'dying breed'. Simply not a genre that is represented these days. I suppose that could be an opportunity for new ones,mbut maybe they just weren't that popular anymore? I like a good third person adventure/platformer though.

addyb

So having never played nuts n bolts and not being a person who really bothers a great deal about frame rate should I dive in now?

Cynn

Which games need a brand new entry in the franchise? I'd vote for Blast Corps and Viva Piñata.
In my opinion? Damn near all of them. Viva, Battletoads, Conker, Blast Corps, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Sabreman... Rare could be a powerhouse first party studio if let loose. They could add the Nintendo "all ages" appeal to the Xbox platform while also pushing IP out like KI and PD to other studios for the core market.

daTRUballin

I guess I meant more 'dying breed'. Simply not a genre that is represented these days. I suppose that could be an opportunity for new ones,mbut maybe they just weren't that popular anymore? I like a good third person adventure/platformer though.

Exactly. They could make platformers relevant again if they really tried, and there definitely needs to be more platformers. I would love to see how a proper Banjo game would be like these days, and a Conker game would be interesting to see as well. I wonder what movies they would make parodies of and what popular modern stuff they'll make fun of in a new Conker?

In my opinion? Damn near all of them. Viva, Battletoads, Conker, Blast Corps, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Sabreman... Rare could be a powerhouse first party studio if let loose. They could add the Nintendo "all ages" appeal to the Xbox platform while also pushing IP out like KI and PD to other studios for the core market.

Why can't Rare themselves make "core" games? They don't need to outsource them to other studios. They haven't made an M or even T rated game since 2005. I think we should give them a chance.

eastx

Exactly. They could make platformers relevant again if they really tried, and there definitely needs to be more platformers. I would love to see how a proper Banjo game would be like these days, and a Conker game would be interesting to see as well. I wonder what movies they would make parodies of and what popular modern stuff they'll make fun of in a new Conker?

There's no end of platformers these days - I could name you 10 platformers that have come to Xbox One in the last year alone. However, 3D platformers are an extremely scarce breed. And yeah, it would be great for those to make a true comeback.

addyb

Yeah definitely need a 3D platformer revival. Maybe yooka laylee will herald in a new era of them if it's good :)

In all honesty I'd like a Ghoulies sequel. Like Luigi's Mansion, the game isn't massive, perhaps a sequel would work nicely as a digital title.

And all the rest, obv.

Robin64

Fuck the final boss of Snake Rattle and Roll. Oh, you stopped hitting it for a second? It's no regained all of it's health.

Even with rewind this boss is a fucking piece of shit. After half an hour of trying to beat it, sometimes getting a good circuit only to be screwed over by meteor positions, I just gave up.

Cynn

Why can't Rare themselves make "core" games? They don't need to outsource them to other studios. They haven't made an M or even T rated game since 2005. I think we should give them a chance.

It was actually a compliment to them. Anyone can make core games, It's all ages that's massively difficult. 100 studios make shooters a year. Right now though, only Nintendo is making good platformers in the console space. I want random Viva Pinata type magic to happen.

What's up with the Knightlore performance? Was it that bad on the Spectrum? The Snapshot where you have to get three crystals in 60 seconds was brutal because of the slowdown. To make matters worse, the timer was running at full speed lol

FyreWulff

I suffered through a mission in Perfect Dark Zero so I could get the save file for it and then played Perfect Dark and it didn't unlock any cheats. Is that not in this version?

They were never really clear on how this worked. I think it was a save file or having a PDZ achievement before you ever started up PDXBLA. If you ever start up PDXBLA before ever having a PDZ cheev/save, it won't give you the free cheat unlock.

Either way, once they fix the BC issue of PD XBLA 360 and PD XBLA 360 via BC not being able to co-op, I could sherpa anyone that wants Perfect Agent completions through co-op (I still only have a 360)

edit: also of note for PDXBLA: you can help people quickly unlock all guns for multiplayer by just starting matches with different guns in each slot, then letting people run around and pick them up, then having it be 1 kill to win the game. Will only take you about 5 matches.

Yeah, the Banjo/DKC team always mostly worked on family friendly games, even during the Nintendo days. It was the other teams who were having their projects cancelled left and right.

Overall, Microsoft's management of the studio was a missed opportunity. Why would you buy a developer with such a great pedigree for half a billion dollars and not even advertise their games? Not to mention not even letting them release all those games they were working on. Their management of Rare was very strange during those days. :/
Sorry but history disagrees with this

I don't think Rare is special where they had more games cancelled than other studios...every studio has cancelled games.

And not letting them release games they were working on? Hell, they let them release games on friggin Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS that they were working on before acquisition (like Banjo-Pilot, which was originally Diddy Kong Pilot), well into 2007.

And regarding Kinect Sports, their employees and upper management have all been pretty adamant that they weren't forced to do Kinect Sports. It was a hit, sold a crap ton, and they wanted to continue doing so. Was every employee happy? Of course not. Rare isn't different than any other workplace. However they have been on record multiple times that they always have a choice of what they work on next.

Do I think they should have worked on their established IP instead? Sure. I think you could have slapped any team on Kinect games, you don't need an IP rich team to do it. But, the sales speak for themselves, and Rare made MS a lot of money with Kinect Sports so I wouldn't really classify it as poor management in that sense.

Zomba13

So I played some Perfect Dark earlier. I noticed that on the lowest difficulty setting there are very few objectives and that didn't seem fun so I just shoved it on the highest. I've done the first level and that was fun doing the objectives and shooting and stuff. It plays really well with the revamped controls, I don't want to imagine playing it like Goldeneye on the N64.

Sometimes it says "saving" mid mission. Are there any checkpoints or save states? My only issues so far is having to do the whole level and all the objectives in a single go.

tim1138

Is there a Rare community rep or something on Twitter?
I dunno if it's glitched our broken, but my wife and I cannot send crates to each other in Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

FyreWulff

That's a shame. What's the issue, does it just not let people connect or does it desync?

I think it just doesn't let you connect. It's a known bug that was publically announced by MS, presuming a fix is incoming.

So I played some Perfect Dark earlier. I noticed that on the lowest difficulty setting there are very few objectives and that didn't seem fun so I just shoved it on the highest. I've done the first level and that was fun doing the objectives and shooting and stuff. It plays really well with the revamped controls, I don't want to imagine playing it like Goldeneye on the N64.

Sometimes it says "saving" mid mission. Are there any checkpoints or save states? My only issues so far is having to do the whole level and all the objectives in a single go.

The "saving" is for them tracking stats and the in-game trophies. There's no checkpoints or mid-mission saves. Game is balanced around having to do it in one go.

One trick if you're gunning on higher difficulties is to stand behind a wall, hold aim, and then strafe, you'll "lean" into the hallway (in reality: slide really fast while standing), you can pop out for half a second and get shots in this way.

Also, you'll learn to hate the "walk forward while shooting full auto" animation for enemies as much as I do

You can also fight the AI opening doors by pressing the door opening button, you'll close the door on them.

You can instantly reload any gun in the game, in solo or multiplayer, by switching to the next weapon and switching back.

Kinsei

Banned
R.C Pro Am 2's first snapshot isn't humanly possible. What were they thinking? It's like Canary Mary on steroids.

I did it! What I had to do was cover my controller with a shirt (to prevent scratching the buttons) and rub a tablespoon over the A and B buttons.

I have no idea so many of the games I played as a kid where rare's. I don't remember the name of that company from my younger days (I remember much shittier names, like Ocean!).

RC Pro AM, cobra triangle, here I come! Let's see if i still kick butt at them. edit: omg snake rattle n roll. omg omg omg.

I have no idea so many of the games I played as a kid where rare's. I don't remember the name of that company from my younger days (I remember much shittier names, like Ocean!).

RC Pro AM, cobra triangle, here I come! Let's see if i still kick butt at them. edit: omg snake rattle n roll. omg omg omg.

They were known as Ultimate play the game back then.

Poona

I dunno if it's glitched our broken, but my wife and I cannot send crates to each other in Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise

They do respond to many tweets on twitter via their official account:

http://twitter.com/RareLtd

Not sure if there is an account on Twitter from somebody else within Rare that could be more helpful though.

Sydle

There is other panels in the other rooms prior. Have to shoot those to unlock more.

I thought those were all part of the scenery. The placements are weird for a switch.

Thank you!

any sales talk yet? wonder how the game is selling. for rare's sake, I hope it sells.

I think it was Greenburg on the pre-Gamescom bit with Major Nelson, where they were showing off pins, that he said early sales were beyond their expectations.

I love pretty much all of this.

I'd take more Conker from TD because they did a pretty good job considering what they had to work with, but I would hope it's built outside of Project Spark.

Conezays

Nearing the end of Conker, but the "War" chapter is truly abominable IMO. It's like all of the issues in the game come to a head, especially in the
countdown sequence
: the framerate, controls, one-hit kills. Bah. It's frustrating as there are moments of greatness throughout the game, spoiled by areas like this. Still has impeccable art design throughout however.

Bog

Junior Ace
How long is GBTG? I had fun with it for the first chapter but can't imagine doing that for 8+ hours.

Durock

The servers for the Viva Piñata games are shut down, so you're no longer able to share crates. You can't share blue prints in Nuts & Bolts either, but the multiplayer should still work fine.

1upmuffin

Nearing the end of Conker, but the "War" chapter is truly abominable IMO. It's like all of the issues in the game come to a head, especially in the
countdown sequence
: the framerate, controls, one-hit kills. Bah. It's frustrating as there are moments of greatness throughout the game, spoiled by areas like this. Still has impeccable art design throughout however.

I beat Conker a couple years ago on 64 for the first time, and yeah, it gets super frustrating at parts. Visually great, but I don't think the gameplay holds up as well as Banjo 1/2.

I'm surprised at how much better and enjoyable Underwurlde is compared to Sabrewulf, flying across the screen from walls or enemies is hilarious and is good use of invention. When you're lazy to jump around just throw yourself at an enemy and you may just cross the whole section to the next screen. Never gets old.

Conezays

I beat Conker a couple years ago on 64 for the first time, and yeah, it gets super frustrating at parts. Visually great, but I don't think the gameplay holds up as well as Banjo 1/2.

Sure. In some ways though, it's nice playing a similarly-styled game, minus the collectathon aspects of Banjo (especially Tooie, which took that to the nth degree). I love the Banjos (and the collectables), but it's interesting to see a game that feels much more focused on specific gameplay/narrative segments, without any of the "Collect 5 _____" stuff.

Top Bottom