• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus |OT| Wanna know why they call it RYNOplasty?

8byte

Banned
7) 3 upgrade levels isn't enough, I really stop using weapons once they are upgraded. Maybe there could be a prestige like system where, during the first run, once a gun is completed leveling you can reset the levels for some sort of minor weapon mod, like an omega mod from deadlocked. Keep stacking them and by the end of the game your blaster could have pyro, ice, shock, infect, time bomb, and other mods. It will be a nice chance to abuse those ps4 particle effects.

Thanks insomniac. I'm so glad FFA was not the last ratchet on ps3.

There are 6, but you don't unlock future upgrades until you start Challenge mode, if I remember right.

Downhome

beautiful story of cartharsis Downhome, gald you can move onto the next chapter in your adventures

Just beat it a short while ago.

I still can't believe I have been held up for that long, wow.

In that time I met my wife, dated her, got married, and have been married over two years now!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
There are 6, but you don't unlock future upgrades until you start Challenge mode, if I remember right.
Good to know these things!

Hopefully I get my game today!

HYPE!

TripOpt55

Close to being finished I think. Want to go back and get the collectibles at least before beating it. This game is excellent so far though. That world where you collect the horns is awesome. Just free to explore and then unlock other stuff to help you explore more. So good.

Suzzopher

The Ratchet & Clank series is very dear to my heart for personal reasons. The first game came out a little after my first son was born, he would sit in my lap and would instantly be comforted by the bright colours. As he has grown up he has become a huge fan of the series.

Just before Ratchet 3 came out, my girlfriend at the time (the mother of my son) broke up with me so I ended up having to leave my son (I still see my son a lot) but when my son would come and stay with me he and I would play Ratchet 3 non stop.

My dad died shortly before TOD came out and again I found comfort in the series.

Now my wife and both of my sons are huge fans of the series.

I do hope it never goes away.

greg400

Banned
Is the Future series as a whole worth playing or can you get away the the the original three PS2 games without missing much?

Gotta say, the lowered framerate compared to the other titles is very noticeable and very disappointing. Everything seems that much less fun to do, with choppy lookin animations, the slow sluggish way bolts drift into you, the feel of the combat. Meh.

Skidd

Is the Future series as a whole worth playing or can you get away the the the original three PS2 games without missing much?
The Future saga is where all the story's at. Into the Nexus acts as an epilogue to Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time, so yeah you're gonna lose a ton if you decide to skip them. Which in my opinion is absurd as they are both amazing games in general.

Gotta say, the lowered framerate compared to the other titles is very noticeable and very disappointing. Everything seems that much less fun to do, with choppy lookin animations, the slow sluggish way bolts drift into you, the feel of the combat. Meh.

Agree completely. It made everything "feel" off to me. It may sound like a minor thing, but one of my favorite parts of R&C games is breaking the boxes and having the bolts rush to you as if you were a magnet. In this game breaking them felt more like a chore.

I have a really quick, sorta relevant, story.

I downloaded Quest For Booty years ago when it first came out back in 2008 (my God, I can't believe it has been so long ago). Up to that point I always kept up to date on R&C games since it's one of my favorite properties. Anyway, back then I got stuck on the part where you are on the island and you have to defeat wave after wave of the pirates. I could SOMETIMES get to the part where you get to the turret to shoot the guns on the boat, but even that was hard for me to get to. Back then, in 2008, I flat out gave up. Since then I have gone back to the game maybe twice a year to attempt to beat that part but I never had any luck. Earlier today I realized the new game was out and thought I'd go back and once again try to beat that part.

You see, I never wanted to continue the series until I finally beat that one single part, and ultimately the game. I bought A Crack in Time, but I have NEVER played it, again, because I wanted to get past QFB before I moved on.

Anyway, I was trying earlier tonight getting more and more pissed off. I've never had a problem with any of these games, ever, until this one part. I then thought, well, lets check options.

I had the difficulty on the highest setting.

You see, I had forgot that I always played these games on that setting to give me a challenge. It's just, apparently this one part was just too much for me. I've tried it dozens of times over the years, maybe even a hundred times or more.

So I changed the difficulty tonight.

My God.

Yep, first try after doing that, AFTER WAITING FOR OVER FIVE YEARS, I got past that part in just a matter of minutes, easy as cake, no problem at all.

I can finally move on past this game since I'm sure I'll have it beaten in no time now.

This may be the stupidest I've ever felt in my entire gaming life.

In that time I met my wife, dated her, got married, and have been married over two years now!

Ugh.

Funny, I've actually been stuck at that same part in Q4B and it is the only Ratchet game I own that I haven't beaten. This kind of inspired me to go home and finally finish Q4B myself tonight after work.

Ark

For fucks sake. Amazon didn't get my copy to me on time for release today. They keep doing this, and it was on First Class delivery. I swear they've been getting worse this year. Hopefully they won't fuck up my PS4 pre-order but I wouldn't at all be surprised at all if they do.

LAA

Amazon UK let me down, not here on launch. Seriously only ShopTo are getting me games on or before launch, and I had to pay Amazon UK extra in order to ensure it got here on launch and it still didnt. Luckily I got it for £16, which is a little cheaper than usual, still not happy its here though.

For fucks sake. Amazon didn't get my copy to me on time for release today. They keep doing this, and it was on First Class delivery. I swear they've been getting worse this year. Hopefully they won't fuck up my PS4 pre-order but I wouldn't at all be surprised at all if they do.

Ha ha weird coincidence we both posted this at the same time, ha ha. Yeah I feel your pain, before though honestly, Amazon were alright, they got me Beyond for launch most recently and KH3D I remember, but it isnt so consistent I find. I ordered a Vita from Amazon though and got it before launch actually, so theres a chance for you there... Ordered PS4 from ShopTo this time though, decided to give them a chance for a console (And Zelda 3DS XL next week), though they say they're shipping with DPD day before launch, so should at least be for launch, which I'm fine with.

Tizoc

Enjoying it for the most part outside of Hard mode having enemies attacks hitting harder, but thankfully the enemies aren't bullet sponges lol.

Camjo-Z

When I was going for the gold bolt
near the orphanage I saw on the Treasure Mapper where it was and was trying to figure how the heck to get over there and I saw this little piece of wood sticking out at the top of the tower so I jumped on it and glided over to the bolt and thought wow that's a pretty tricky one. Then as I'm try to figure out how to get back I see the Hoover boots ramp haha.

I did this exact same thing... it's the only spot in the game where the ramp isn't clearly marked with bright yellow arrows though, so I didn't feel TOO stupid afterwards.

Bandit1

Finished it and now going through challenge mode. Being $30 I was afraid it would be pretty small, but it was actually bigger than I expected. Loved upgrading weapons through raritanium and clank's jetpack on the swamp world with a generous fuel supply. Great game, thank you Insomniac for giving us a tradional Ratchet and Clank! I hope Insomniac takes us to the Lombaxes on PS4 in a couple of years. Please Insomniac!!

sinxtanx

The jetpack is easily the best addition to the series since leveling guns

SERIOUSLY

It's so damn fun, and I really hope Insomniac brings it back if (why do I even need to say if? oh right because of bullshit) they make a PS4 Ratchet. Maybe they could make it recharge a small base amount while on the ground too, so you'd always have access to a few seconds of flying, to make battles more dynamic and interesting. Could still keep the refueling stations to supercharge it for major battles.

Agreed with everyone on the love of the jetpack. Planet Thram is a fantastic level. Loved how it kept opening up once you unlocked the boots and jetpack. It was simply super fun to fly around that environment. More like this in the next game, Insomniac!

Also have to agree with the dislike of the framerate and its choppiness. I'd much prefer a smooth framerate over added effects in this type of game.

Kujo

Jetpack was my favourite addition too. Would have been great after you've beaten the game to have an unlimited version that can be used on all levels, though I guess some aren't setup for that. Either way, the next Ratchet (whenever that may be) needs to have it again

Amazon UK let me down, not here on launch. Seriously only ShopTo are getting me games on or before launch, and I had to pay Amazon UK extra in order to ensure it got here on launch and it still didnt. Luckily I got it for £16, which is a little cheaper than usual, still not happy its here though.

Ha ha weird coincidence we both posted this at the same time, ha ha. Yeah I feel your pain, before though honestly, Amazon were alright, they got me Beyond for launch most recently and KH3D I remember, but it isnt so consistent I find. I ordered a Vita from Amazon though and got it before launch actually, so theres a chance for you there... Ordered PS4 from ShopTo this time though, decided to give them a chance for a console (And Zelda 3DS XL next week), though they say they're shipping with DPD day before launch, so should at least be for launch, which I'm fine with.

Didn't get it today either and I'm on Prime (UK too)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I got the game guys :3! Great cover (although worse than the genius art of ToD and ACiT).

I'll hopefully get to start playing this game in a couple of minutes!

Yoshichan

Okay so just in THE FIRST ROOM in the game, I've managed to force quit the game through the menu.

I am glitching myself on walls and I can't get outta there. First time, I didn't bother. Second time, I HAD to take a pic because this shit is ridiculous.

MXgO9m9.jpg

Yoshichan

The song in Planet Yerek is so good, but that one part of the song is blatantly ripping off Diablo 2 monastery.

Yoshichan

Aight so I had to take a paus but I've played a solid 8 hours straight now and mother of God, this IS a real Ratchet-game!

Feels good to be back home. Of course, it's rather more of the same, than bringing something new to the franchise but THAT'S FINE.

ToD and ACiT were both so good and it's been way too long since I've played a real Ratchet game so I'm enjoying the shit out of this.

Thank you Insomniac! Can't wait to beat this sucker later today.

Edit: what the fuck, am I for real? Quadra post? I'm so sorry GAF!

Vashetti

Banned
Err, what the hell Amazon UK?

Dispatched First Class postage on Thursday, should have been here yesterday.

Still hasn't arrived today. What a joke.

Ark

Err, what the hell Amazon UK?

Dispatched First Class postage on Thursday, should have been here yesterday.

Still hasn't arrived today. What a joke.

Still don't have mine yet either. Really fucking pissed off with Amazon this year. They've been getting worse all year, I should have been sceptical when they sent it out on Thursday instead of Wednesday. 'First class' my arse.

Not really Amazon to blame is it? Must be a hold up with Royal Mail

Amazon are responsible for sending the package out in-time for it to be delivered by the embarrassment that is our postal service, it's absolutely their fault.

If I hadn't snagged R&C:Nexus for £16.60 I'd be doubly pissed.

wouwie

That lower framerate is gonna take some getting used to.

I'm usually not that bothered with framerate in games but it's dissapointing in this case. There's a certain amount of judder that makes the game feel not smooth at all. Even smashing crates (without any enemies on screen) is making the framerate dip. In a case like this, the trade-off between 60FPS and 30FPS with "better visuals" is not worth it.

Also, visually, it's dissapointing so far. The art direction is nice but this game has got that hazy look. Combined with yellow-ish/orange filter and bloom makes it look un-appealing. Compare this with the sharpness, crispiness and smoothness of Tools Of Destruction and i have to admit that i found Tools of Destruction a far better looking and smoother playing game.

I'm just in the 2nd planet so hopefully things will pick up.

BHZ Mayor

I just finished this game, aside from the game freezing a couple times, and somehow getting stuck in a weapon trial once, and the lower framerate, which surprisingly, I noticed, I liked it. My only real concern is that, is there anyway to replay the Clank missions without having to go through the game again? I haven't started Challenge Mode yet, so maybe that will answer my question. The levels in this game are long. Each one took me at least an hour and a half, which kinda made up for the overall shortness of the game. I love how they repurposed Clank's jetpack into what it is in this game. Exploring and fighting battles in the air was great. Overall, the game is a return to form and hopefully this isn't the last we see of Ratchet and Clank.

Also I don't know if anyone pointed this out, but since (early game spoilers)
Cronk and Zephyr were representative of the PS3 and 360
, I thought that
their death was a metaphor for sending off the generation

Burbeting

Banned
Played the game through, and started with challenge mode, took around 6 hours, but did almost everything (got all weapons, collectibles, arena etc.). Choosing legend as difficulty proved to be the best choice, it made combat pretty satisfying to play :). The OST was quite good, at least better than the composers earlier efforts (FFA was unmemorable).

The story felt really pointless in the end,
the only plot twist, which might have longer impact was the death of Cronk and Zephyr. Otherwise the plot didn't offer really any sort of closure, which I was waiting for :(. Vendra and Neftin were good enemies, but the nethers themselves felt really uninspired, since they resembled Cragmites too much. The final boss was the biggest letdown tough. We didn't have almost any interaction with Mister Eye, almost all of our info about him came from the audio tapes.

Weapons were mostly useful and fun, which is a plus. Ended up leveling most of them into LVL3 before finishing the game up. I also loved
how the final planet had lots of call-backs for the earlier installments

The game was solid in the end, but it felt a bit pointless in terms of story itself.
Hoping for some sort of conclusion in the PS4, but might be just a hope since the writer of Future-saga left insomniac.

Oh man, I cannot even begin to explain how delighted I was when I found out that (Challenge Mode gameplay spoiler)
Omega versions of weapons add a bunch of new possible Raritanium upgrades too

I miss the beautiful shininess of enemies dropping tons of Raritanium as more of a bolt-like currency in Tools of Destruction, but this game's progression/upgrade system is still probably the most satisfying one that the Ratchet series has had so far, and the only weapon that ever felt not-so-great to level was the sniper one. sogood.gif

SkylineRKR

I'm usually not that bothered with framerate in games but it's dissapointing in this case. There's a certain amount of judder that makes the game feel not smooth at all. Even smashing crates (without any enemies on screen) is making the framerate dip. In a case like this, the trade-off between 60FPS and 30FPS with "better visuals" is not worth it.

Also, visually, it's dissapointing so far. The art direction is nice but this game has got that hazy look. Combined with yellow-ish/orange filter and bloom makes it look un-appealing. Compare this with the sharpness, crispiness and smoothness of Tools Of Destruction and i have to admit that i found Tools of Destruction a far better looking and smoother playing game.

I'm just in the 2nd planet so hopefully things will pick up.

Yeah I think I prefer the approach ToD and ACiT took. The levels were less detailed but the framerate was doubled and the gameplay was spot on because of that.

Nexus is an excellent game, especially for the low price it goes, but the visual approach is sort of disappointing to me too. Its still a good looking game though. Still, I was pleasantly surprised that QfB came free with it. I didn't take it when I could choose it after the PSN outage.

dralla

I agree 60FPS is much better but saying ToD is 'crisper' and 'sharper' is crazy.ToD is a blurry mess, it's like someone smeared vaseline on the screen.

After putting a lot more hours into it and getting the weapons upgraded I like almost all of them. The Netherbeast is easily the worst. It has no tactile feedback and it feels so underpowered compared to everything else. The plasma stalker, I'm not sure 'sniper' weapons work in a Ratchet game. It's not bad, but very situational. It's still growing on me though. Mixing it with other weapons can be fun. And trying to line up multiple enemies for a single shot. But other than those 2 I think it's a great collection of weapons. I love the Winterizer because of the chain effect. The arena challenge that forces you to do kill enemies with it, soooo good.

As for the game as a whole I'd say it's second best behind ACiT. ACiT > Nexus > Q4B = ToD

Five

Banned
I only noticed the 30fps a handful of times.

Has anyone else used the ultra-bloom cheat on FFA? That's what parts of this game felt like to me: sometimes things were just too shiny.

Also, the story was loaded with ludonarrative dissonance for me.
As Ratchet, I killed dozens of civilian robots in each of the city planets. On planet Thram, I was a poacher and basically exterminated a race to extinction. Why does Neftin have to answer for his crimes but I do not?

But it's a fun game. There are more bugs than usual, but it's a good challenge and I liked how varied everything was. None of the planets felt like they were retreading any ground, so that was great.

The final boss was too easy with the RYNO VII. Even playing on legend with auto aim off, I just stood still and held down R1. I'd started the fight with full ammo and a level 2 RYNO, and it upgraded to level 3 during the second stage, so of course my ammo was refilled and I didn't have to worry about it coming close to running out. If I remember correctly, previous RYNOs were only good for half of the final boss at best.

TripOpt55

Just finished. Loved this game. Great sendoff for Ratchet and company on PS3. I hope we see more Ratchet adventures on PS4 though!

amrod

Anyone else have problems with the
HORNS
I'm collecting them but its not registering them... it shows as 0 so I have nothing to sell to the guy (My 2nd play, on challenge mode)

RobbieNick

Anyone else having troubles with sound? I'll play for an hour or so and the sound will freeze and lag greatly behind. It tends to happen alot too.

Tagg9

Wow, this game is much better than I expected. Insomniac actually tried to innovate a bit here. I love the gravity stuff (moving between platforms, the Portal-esque beams, and 2D stuff).

The only thing I'd say is that they seem to have pushed it out before QA was complete. It took me forever to boot the game up (kept freezing when installing the data, so I literally had to wipe the data and try again 4 TIMES), and I've had a few oddities occur while playing.

I was quite crestfallan when I didn't get my PS4 on Friday, but this will keep me entertained nicely for the weekend.

I've meant to ask, but why does the game ask me to accept online terms every time I load it up?

There's no online elements in here that I've seen, and don't see why, even if there were, it would need to be re-accepted every damn time :(

Game is pretty great though. Not as good as Tools or Crack, but at least as good as Booty. Framerate being 30 has bothered me a lot less than I would have thought it would.

taybul

My only real concern is that, is there anyway to replay the Clank missions without having to go through the game again?
If you choose continue game instead of challenge right away, go back to the space map and there'll be a planet for replaying those levels. On topic, there's apparently a way to cheese those levels so you automatically get all 3 skill points:
This only works for the ones where you lead a nether back to a rift but right when you enter a rift with nether in tow, pause the game and select restart. You'll get all 3 points regardless of how long you took, if you got hit, etc.

Just finished normal mode and this is a great game for something that otherwise feels really lightweight. I knew going in that this wouldn't be as big as the previous major installments but I was still really impressed.
The first world took so long that I started thinking that the game was just one huge seamless world.

Derrick01

Banned
I've run into what seems to be a game breaking bug. At the arena when I press triangle to enter nothing happens. This is my 3rd playthrough, 2nd on challenge mode, so it's not a huge deal but unless this fixes itself it's going to stop me from getting my platinum trophy. I only had 2 weapons that weren't at level 6 :(

michaelx

Banned
I'll pick it up at some point. I must admit I'm a huge R&C fan but no PS3 title toped the PS2 ones.
I'd choose ToD as best R&C PS3 title.

Tuck

Er... potential game breaking glitch?

I'm at the battle stadium, but it won't let me in. It says "Press triangle to go to Destructopalooza," but the game doesn't respond when I do. The triangle button works any other time. Tried resetting the game, leaving the planet and coming back, etc.

jstevenson, any suggestions?

I've run into what seems to be a game breaking bug. At the arena when I press triangle to enter nothing happens. This is my 3rd playthrough, 2nd on challenge mode, so it's not a huge deal but unless this fixes itself it's going to stop me from getting my platinum trophy. I only had 2 weapons that weren't at level 6 :(

Well, looks like I'm not alone. But this is my first play through :(.

spliced

The game does seem a bit glitchy. Once on Silox where you fight on the platform that sinks into the water I fell below the level into this big green circle. At Destructapalooza late into
Iron Lombax
I had it freeze ugh! And when I go to the vault in challenge mode the plumber isn't there but the talk prompt comes up.

I just have 2 more Skill Points and a couple trophies left before finishing this off. I have to say playing the Clank parts in the Netherverse during the game were only ok, but getting the skill points on them was a lot of fun. I just wish I could have used the digital pad to change gravity because with the analog stick I kept accidently changing it the wrong way.

Derrick01

Banned
Er... potential game breaking glitch?

I'm at the battle stadium, but it won't let me in. It says "Press triangle to go to Destructopalooza," but the game doesn't respond when I do. The triangle button works any other time. Tried resetting the game, leaving the planet and coming back, etc.

jstevenson, any suggestions?

Well, looks like I'm not alone. But this is my first play through :(.

You should keep trying every so often. I just turned my PS3 on and was going to play something else but decided to give this another try and it ended up letting me into the arena finally.

The Future saga is where all the story's at. Into the Nexus acts as an epilogue to Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time, so yeah you're gonna lose a ton if you decide to skip them. Which in my opinion is absurd as they are both amazing games in general.

Yeah, both Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time were fantastic.

PS4 traditional R&C needs to happen for the inevitable greatness.

Top Bottom