• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 this is as close to direct feed your gonna...Looks amazing

SantaC

DCharlie said:
yes, it's an xbox fanboy conspiracy.

But who'd have though that a dedicated RE fan site would have gushed praise on a RE game?
What next? Pope@Vatican.com in shock "Jesus is really special!" outburst?

I can tell you that they were quite upset when they first heard the changes for RE4. As RE fanatics they had a hard time accepting all the changes, but many liked thenew stuff after playing the demo.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"I can tell you that they were quite upset when they first heard the changes for RE4. As RE fanatics they had a hard time accepting all the changes, but many liked thenew stuff after playing the demo."

what new stuff in particular?

Actually, what new stuff?

SantaC

DCharlie said:
"I can tell you that they were quite upset when they first heard the changes for RE4. As RE fanatics they had a hard time accepting all the changes, but many liked thenew stuff after playing the demo."

what new stuff in particular?

Actually, what new stuff?

-no zombies
-now playing in semi-first person
-no mansion setup.
-nothing is prerendered anymore
-you can now ride vehicles (the boat atleast)
-umbrellas role in this game is unknown.
-more interactivity (comes from capcoms site)
-hitzones on the enemies (comes from capcoms site)

Well there are probably many other things as well.

DCharlie

FUCKING ROLL OUT THE INOVATION FIRE TRUCK, BECAUSE THE STRAW VILLAGE OF MUNDANE GAMING IS ON FIRE DUE TO THE EL NINO THAT IS RE4!!!!

-no zombies .... just villagers that act like zombies
-now playing in semi-first person.... inovation!
-no mansion setup..... okay....
-nothing is prerendered anymore.... awesome
-you can now ride vehicles (the boat atleast).... i already controlled a tank in the last few games
-umbrellas role in this game is unknown.... inovation.
-more interactivity (comes from capcoms site)... vague
-hitzones on the enemies (comes from capcoms site)... only when their animation sequence has finished.

Well, i guess you are right, i can see they have totally redefined the game this time.

SantaC

DCharlie said:
FUCKING ROLL OUT THE INOVATION FIRE TRUCK, BECAUSE THE STRAW VILLAGE OF MUNDANE GAMING IS ON FIRE DUE TO THE EL NINO THAT IS RE4!!!!

IAWTP! :D

But seriously, I found the demo very good. If you didn't like it, that's fine. I just don't agree that same people says it looks like "brown" crap.

SantaC

DCharlie said:

-you can now ride vehicles (the boat atleast).... i already controlled a tank in the last few games
-hitzones on the enemies (comes from capcoms site)... only when their animation sequence has finished.

Well, i guess you are right, i can see they have totally redefined the game this time.

um no one said anything about innovation. Atleast I didn't. OH WAIT MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE DUAL WEILDING! :D

jarrod

Banned
I've gotta agree with DC... it looks great but really it's just RE without a fixed camera and QTEs. Tank controls should be dead by now. :/

Culex

Banned
DCharlie said:

Terrible sarcasm aside, Santacruzer never said anything about innovation. He said changes, which he listed. Your reply is entirely irrelovent.

Acosta

Well, I thing the graphics are great given my playtime after E3 and TGS. I don't know if people want to counter the "OMG AWeSOMe" or what, but what I have seen is at the top of this gen (the palette of colors of MGS:SE is not directly taken of the rainbow you know, and that doen´t stop it from being awesome).

The graphics and animations are very detailed, the impact zones work very well and the effects are fantastic. IMO, the control is much better that any other RE, of course you have a limited view but I didn´t found that specially annoying and the control was fine for me (but it´s true that this is quite personal as I know few people that doen´t like this).

About the IA, well, I have seen a "zombie" skipping a bullet, moving in the same moment Leon shot, it´s not revolutionary I.A but for Resident Evil is quite an advancement.

So lets try to put this in a level of reality. Graphically I found it awesome, not the most impressive use of graphics this gen, but among the top 10 at least. The I.A looks more advanced than other Resident Evils (not something very remarkable maybe), and IMO, the control is much better that any other RE, but it´s certain that is a little strange and there are some problems when you try to shot at specific parts. Is certain that there are people that can see the new vision as something annoying as Leon takes a good part of the screen (but personally, I never had a problem with this at gameplay level and I like more that the fixed camera view).

The most reasonable thing is waiting until the final version and judge it as awesome, crap or average, but I suppose this is asking too much, isn´t?

DCharlie

"um no one said anything about innovation. Atleast I didn't. OH WAIT MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE DUAL WEILDING"

I never said anything about Halo 2 being inovative either ;)

Culex

Banned
DCharlie said:
"um no one said anything about innovation. Atleast I didn't. OH WAIT MAYBE YOU CAN HAVE DUAL WEILDING"

I never said anything about Halo 2 being inovative either ;)

huh?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
DCharlie said:
bugger.... i hate that. shoot an enemy and they're completely invincible from further shots for a little while. it's really annoying.

When a game looks great on any console, I acknowledge that. Others rush to looking for flaws. The majority of this is based on the fact they can't see anything looking great on anyother console and are convinced that RS3:Rebel Strike is the best the GC can do.

One of the moderaters at TXB said he didn't think the GC was capable of what he has seen of RE4 and this was when the first images and vids RE4 were shown before the change in direction. Now instead of just saying the graphics look great he has to downplay as many things as possible.

Its like when your in a relationship with a girl/women and she ask if you think another young lady is pretty, instead of saying yes, you resort to pointing out flaws. Her hair, clothing, something has to be off. When in reality, if you were alone you would be saying.

DAMN, I'd like to take ride on her wild side, can I get in where I fit in.

don't really have much to say - DCharlie... you asked Santacruzer what was new in RE4 and he made you a list of what differentiated it from RE series of the past. He made NO MENTION OF INNOVATION and you decided to go in the direct of attacking the game for lack of innovation and doing your big DRamedy spiel. I'd like to see you make a game that was truly innovative because 90% of the videogame market is sequels, fps, driving..etc. I can't even think of any titles which are HUGELY innovative aside from

BOKTAI
Made in Mawarum 2

there are NO innovative titles anymore imo. Just improvements/refinements.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I really do hope the final game turns out to be good...

I'm very worried about it, however, as Capcom has disappointed me with virtually every action/adventure this generation. The only Capcom console action games I can really say I loved this gen weren't even DEVELOPED BY Capcom themselves (Maximo 2 and Megaman - Network Transmission). The problem is that I was quite excited about a number of those games...and I became tired of all of them well before reaching the end.

I'm simply afraid that I will fall victim to Capcom once again and end up with a game that doesn't even begin to live up to my expectations...

The visuals are quite impressive, though...but that isn't going to be enough. Capcom just seems to miss a lot of the LITTLE things that are so important. For example, that comment about the hit detection is just incredibly disappointing and I can already imagine how that will feel. :(

dark10x said:

I'm very worried about it, however, as Capcom has disappointed me with virtually every action/adventure this generation. The only Capcom console action games I can really say I loved this gen weren't even DEVELOPED BY Capcom themselves (Maximo 2 and Megaman - Network Transmission). The problem is that I was quite excited about a number of those games...and I became tired of all of them well before reaching the end.

I'm simply afraid that I will fall victim to Capcom once again and end up with a game that doesn't even begin to live up to my expectations...

The visuals are quite impressive, though...but that isn't going to be enough. Capcom just seems to miss a lot of the LITTLE things that are so important. For example, that comment about the hit detection is just incredibly disappointing and I can already imagine how that will feel. :(

DMC1 disappointed big time. I didn't like it at all. The onimusha series were/are great though; very fun - you played those?

dark10x

TheGreenGiant said:
DMC1 disappointed big time. I didn't like it at all. The onimusha series were/are great though; very fun - you played those?

Yeah, I'm not really a fan. Oni 3 is probably my favorite of the three, but it still has so many bland moments.

I almost skipped Ninja Gaiden due to Capcom's attempts at these types of games. Thankfully I did not...

dark10x said:

I believe the hit detection problems will be ironed out before release.

Ranger X

dark10x said:

For RE there's some evolution, but most of the things in the game aren't new, RE is just gaining back some ground in the gameplay department. It looks great but it's pretty static too. Those villagers are more intelligent than previous zombies but it's more like they have more choice as "what to do". They can trow you their weapon instead of just hit you with it per example. I doesn't make them THAT more intelligent. Most of the time, they're all packed together as they try to follow you and they are just as painfully predictable as previous zombies. RE4 still bring back an interest in the series for me though.

bugger.... i hate that. shoot an enemy and they're completely invincible from further shots for a little while. it's really annoying.

That doesn't happen here, the enemies still get damage from the shots even if they don't react at the moment.

SantaC

dark10x said:

The thing with Capcom is that they release a mega hit (in terms of quality) a little now and then.

NES:

Megaman
Bionic commando

Gameboy:

Gargoyles quest
Zelda games

Snes:

Street Fighter II

Playstation:

Resident Evil

N64:

-

PS2:

Devil May Cry

Gamecube:

Viewtiful Joe
RE4?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SantaCruZer said:
The thing with Capcom is that they release a mega hit (in terms of quality) a little now and then.

Gamecube:

Resident Evil remake <----- added
Viewtiful Joe
RE4?
:)

DCharlie

"don't really have much to say - DCharlie... you asked Santacruzer what was new in RE4 and he made you a list of what differentiated it from RE series of the past. He made NO MENTION OF INNOVATION and you decided to go in the direct of attacking the game for lack of innovation and doing your big DRamedy spiel. I'd like to see you make a game that was truly innovative because 90% of the videogame market is sequels, fps, driving..etc. I can't even think of any titles which are HUGELY innovative aside from"

That's all correct, but RE4 is doing the most limited set of improvements EVER. We still have the tank controls, we still have the crap items screen, the zombie action isn't any different to the PS1 game.... okay, i went too over the top with the innovation rant, but christ, other than the graphics i don't see anything that warrants buying this over RE:remake or RE:0 - it's just the same old shit with the same old problems.

'there are NO innovative titles anymore imo. Just improvements/refinements."

And the refinements here, as far as the demo demonstrates (and i highlight that) are just too minimal. I was personally expecting more given how much i've enjoyed Capcoms recent stuff.

dark10x

While this is true, their "megahits" as of late have not left me impressed...

DMC was OK, as was Viewtiful Joe...but neither left a really strong impression. The problem is that, in both cases, I expected them to leave that strong impression and was disappointed when they did not.

Capcom has created a number of titles this gen that I found to be great games, but I just do not care for their "RE-like" adventures. That's why, despite the fact that it looks different on the outside, I remain worried about RE4. DMC also appeared to be very different, and while the combat most certainly was, the actual game was structured just like a damn RE title WITH MISSIONS breaking sections up.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
That's all correct, but RE4 is doing the most limited set of improvements EVER. We still have the tank controls, we still have the crap items screen, the zombie action isn't any different to the PS1 game.... okay, i went too over the top with the innovation rant, but christ, other than the graphics i don't see anything that warrants buying this over RE:remake or RE:0 - it's just the same old shit with the same old problems.

Now I really don't like RE games, so probably won't get this one unless it's different enough, but from what I've read, due to the camera angle change, the controls actually work alright now, like Metroid Prime's in fact.

Also, the zombie action is no different to the PS1 game? Come on now, just looking at a video for 5 seconds tells me that's not true. It might not be the degree of difference you were hoping for, but it so is different.

Wyzdom, don't you work at UbiSoft? I'm sure you do, and I have a feeling maybe you work on the Splinter Cell games (or one of them)? Perhaps I'm wrong, in which case ignore the next bit, but someone from UbiSoft talking down about other games AI...?

SantaC

dark10x said:
While this is true, their "megahits" as of late have not left me impressed...

DMC was OK, as was Viewtiful Joe...but neither left a really strong impression. The problem is that, in both cases, I expected them to leave that strong impression and was disappointed when they did not.

Capcom has created a number of titles this gen that I found to be great games, but I just do not care for their "RE-like" adventures. That's why, despite the fact that it looks different on the outside, I remain worried about RE4. DMC also appeared to be very different, and while the combat most certainly was, the actual game was structured just like a damn RE title WITH MISSIONS breaking sections up.

you are worried, but yet you don't care for RE? :p

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
you are worried, but yet you don't care for RE? :p

Ah, but you see, THIS game looks so incredibly different that I once again allowed myself to fall into the hype. The gameplay seems very promising and different than before. Wide open areas, massively improved combat, potentially creepy atmosphere, etc. It all seems very appealing to me...

However, I'm afraid it will simply return to the same damn formula rather than forge new ground. THAT'S the problem. It seems very new...but so did DMC. Will it live up to what I'd like it to be? We'll have to wait and see...

DCharlie

"DC, did you also have issues with metroid prime's controls?"

no, i had no issues with Metroid Prime's controls.

"Also, the zombie action is no different to the PS1 game? Come on now, just looking at a video for 5 seconds tells me that's not true. It might not be the degree of difference you were hoping for, but it so is different."

in the demo, there is nothing particularly different.
In the video, i noticed some "Shenmue action" style chases with the big "cave troll" that looked somewhat different though.

SantaC

dark10x said:
Ah, but you see, THIS game looks so incredibly different that I once again allowed myself to fall into the hype. The gameplay seems very promising and different than before. Wide open areas, massively improved combat, potentially creepy atmosphere, etc. It all seems very appealing to me...

However, I'm afraid it will simply return to the same damn formula rather than forge new ground. THAT'S the problem. It seems very new...but so did DMC. Will it live up to what I'd like it to be? We'll have to wait and see...

You haven't played the demo now have you? I think the gameplay IS improved. For example in the village, the "villagers" can climb ladders, break through windows, break through doors etc. If you are spotted by a villager, you try to hide inside a house, and just stand there with the door locked, they will get you anyway. That isn't innovation. But it's a huge step from earlier RE games. They can get you anywhere. I climbed up a tower, and they started to set the tower on fire.

only thing i am worried about is some clipping problems.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
Now I really don't like RE games, so probably won't get this one unless it's different enough, but from what I've read, due to the camera angle change, the controls actually work alright now, like Metroid Prime's in fact.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's no locking and no snapping/reticle deceleration when moving your crosshair over targets.

So, I take it from all this talk that RE never went into the serious psychological horror route after RE2? :( Even after Silent Hill owned them? I think I got the wrong system. :(

Please, at least tell me that the RE series got scarier and introduced new things after part 2?

dark10x

SantaCruZer said:
You haven't played the demo now have you? I think the gameplay IS improved. For example in the village, the "villagers" can climb ladders, break through windows, break through doors etc. If you are spotted by a villager, you try to hide inside a house, and just stand there with the door locked, they will get you anyway. That isn't innovation. But it's a huge step from earlier RE games. They can get you anywhere. I climbed up a tower, and they started to set the tower on fire.

only thing i am worried about is some clipping problems.

That sounds fine, but that isn't the issue...

Devil May Cry had a COMPLETELY different combat system and played very well...but the actual game structure was nothing new. THAT'S what worries me about RE4. I don't WANT it to proceed like a normal RE game...

Nobody really knows one way or the other at this point.

Please, at least tell me that the RE series got scarier and introduced new things after part 2?

Nope, RE is still not a scary game.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Like I say, I've neither played this demo nor like the series, so I haven't played that much of it, but I certianly don't remember zombies trying to dodge my attacks before. Perhaps some of these things happened later in the game, or perhaps my memory just sucks, but did any enemies throw things at you? Were they that fast, did they organise into groups to try and trap you? Did they climb ladders? Do they lob grenades into your building when you hide too long (from an IGN hands on)?

Perhaps they did do some of those things, but if not they seem like pretty good changes to me. And these of course are only the very first, bog standard enemies you face.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no locking and no snapping/reticle deceleration when moving your crosshair over targets.

Alright, not exactly the same, but surely the camera angle change has fixed some of the problems. I can't see how it wouldn't have. And that's a pretty decent step forwards in the series...though they should have taken that step 3 games ago and actually have GOOD controls by now. Still, they didn't, so any improvement is welcomed.

SantaC

Mama Smurf said:
Like I say, I've neither played this demo nor like the series, so I haven't played that much of it, but I certianly don't remember zombies trying to dodge my attacks before. Perhaps some of these things happened later in the game, or perhaps my memory just sucks, but did any enemies throw things at you? Were they that fast, did they organise into groups to try and trap you? Did they climb ladders? Do they lob grenades into your building when you hide too long (from an IGN hands on)?

Perhaps they did do some of those things, but if not they seem like pretty good changes to me. And these of course are only the very first, bog standard enemies you face.

Alright, not exactly the same, but surely the camera angle change has fixed some of the problems. I can't see how it wouldn't have. And that's a pretty decent step forwards in the series...though they should have taken that step 3 games ago and actually have GOOD controls by now. Still, they didn't, so any improvement is welcomed.

The difference is that you cannot strafe or lock the enmies in RE4. Other than that the controls are exactly the same as MP.

And then you have the different hitzones in RE4.

dark10x

RE4 vs. SH4 said:
:(

Were SH2 and 3 any good? I loved the first one... may have to get a PS2 if those are good.

Oh absolutely! SH3 is a DIRECT SEQUEL to Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 is BY FAR my favorite game in the series. SH2 is a very dark tale that runs very deep...

If you liked SH1, you just have to play 2 and 3. SH4 isn't bad either, but it isn't up the usual standards of the series and feels more like an experiment...

Oh absolutely! SH3 is a DIRECT SEQUEL to Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 is BY FAR my favorite game in the series. SH2 is a very dark tale that runs very deep...

If you liked SH1, you just have to play 2 and 3. SH4 isn't bad either, but it isn't up the usual standards of the series and feels more like an experiment...

Thanks. I'll probably have to break down and buy a PS2 now, once thosy snazzy mini models hit the market. Or at the very least, rent one so I can play the SH games. :D

DCharlie said:
I'm fairly certain there are sequels out there that feature fewer improvements/changes than RE 0 -> RE 4.

The "tank controls" are still present, but are easier to use now thanks to the newly implemented first/third person hybrid camera system.

The zombie action isn't any different from the RE's on the PS1? Are you sure? I don't remember being able to aim anywhere other than up or down in pretty much any RE (save for Code Veronica I think). Hell, you still had to let the zombies get close to you and flick up at the last second to get a headshot in when it came to the GAMECUBE RE (remake). Also, I don't remember the zombies having projectiles (which you could shoot in mid air) in the PS1 RE's. I haven't even played the RE4 demo, this is all info which I've garnered by perusing a few RE4 threads on this board since the game was unveiled.

You DID go over your top with your "inovation" rant considering innovation wasn't brought up. You asked for changes/different implementations, not innovative features.

As for it being "the same old shit with the same old problems", I would've agreed were you referencing RE0 to the previous games in the series (despite it having new features too), but you've got to fairly ignorant to not see why the aforementioned key changes could attract an audience which was previously unreceptive to the RE games/series.

DCharlie

"DCharlie, it seems like you don't want to like the game."

it's not like that at all, i'm just giving my thoughts on the demo which has left me disappointed.

Sho Nuff

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
The difference is that you cannot strafe or lock the enmies in RE4. Other than that the controls are exactly the same as MP.

Other than the lack of good looks, I am exactly the same as Tom Cruise.

So instead of moving around while firing, you stand there rooted to the ground shooting. Oh, and you can't move while reloading. Enjoy!

Top Bottom