• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 this is as close to direct feed your gonna...Looks amazing

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Hold it a second man, let's back up a bit. We're missing important points here. Ok, now back to the issue in hand.

What's Nicole Kidman like in bed?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"The "tank controls" are still present, but are easier to use now thanks to the newly implemented first/third person hybrid camera system."

I'd disagree - as you say, you haven't played it, so you haven't experienced it yet, but the new view is fairly restrictive and leaves you blind a lot of the time. Not being able to strafe and basically being stuck with tanking around the locales is a pain in the arse and should be gone by now. Having to go into the menu system to do everything is *still* a pain in the arse and should have been improved.

""As for it being "the same old shit with the same old problems", I would've agreed were you referencing RE0 to the previous games in the series (despite it having new features too), but you've got to fairly ignorant to not see why the aforementioned key changes could attract an audience which was previously unreceptive to the RE games/series.""

I'd disagree - free aiming is an nice addition, but still fairly minor. Ontop of that, it defintely still needs some work.

You are going to have to explain to me how these changes are going to bring in people who haven't been interested before. Because i'm pretty sure RE4 won't appeal to those who aren't into the series.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
New stuff:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/553/553909p1.html

I'm keeping up with RE4 even though I hate the previous games, so I imagine others are too. I'll wait for final reviews to decide whether it sounds different enough or not though. Things are sounding quite promising so far, but if too many things like ammo conservation are still in, forget about it.

cvxfreak

The tank controls pose absolutely no problem. Don't believe those who think the game's bogged down because of them.

but the new view is fairly restrictive and leaves you blind a lot of the time.

That is not true. Is just as restrictive as any FPS.

I'd disagree - free aiming is an nice addition, but still fairly minor.

laugh.gif

DCharlie said:
I'd disagree - as you say, you haven't played it, so you haven't experienced it yet, but the new view is fairly restrictive and leaves you blind a lot of the time.
Though I haven't played it, I have seen many videos of the game being played. I'm fairly certain an informed conclusion can be reached in regards to the view/camera angle by watching the game being played.

Not being able to strafe and basically being stuck with tanking around the locales is a pain in the arse and should be gone by now. Having to go into the menu system to do everything is *still* a pain in the arse and should have been improved.
What do you have to constantly do in the menu system anyway? Is there anything aside from giving yourself health (herbs) and using items? The last RE I played was Remake, and I can't remember doing much else. There's the map too, right?

I'd disagree - free aiming is an nice addition, but still fairly minor. Ontop of that, it defintely still needs some work.
I dunno, from the videos I've watched, it does seem different from the previous RE's, in that if you were to give all 4 main RE's new character models and disassociate all RE references (Umbrella, Wesker, etc), and give each game a new title, RE4 would be the game that would most seem like it belonged in a different series. The setting is one big reason, mainly because it doesn't look so confining. The zombies vs villagers isn't that big a change in my eyes, apart from giving the develop the ability to do more with the enemies (ie make them smarter, giving them more abilities). But the lowered third person view in a fully rendered environment is a huge change from the isometric, rarely moving camera angle in a pre rendered setting to me and many other gamers. I never played the original RE's (never owned a PSX). RE: Code Veronica was the first I played, and while I enjoyed it more than I do most games of the genre, I still hated the Metal Gear Solid mentality of not being able to see something that's in view of the fucking character you're controlling. I rented RE:make and while I enjoyed the game purely thanks to it's visuals, I still had the same distaste for the viewpoint nuance. While RE4 isn't a first person game, it's made a few core gameplay changes that should make the game more accessable to those- like myself- who enjoy being able to see what's in front of them.

Because i'm pretty sure RE4 won't appeal to those who aren't into the series.
I'm just confused as to how you can't see that a game which is more geared towards the action side of things than purely suspense, one that's done away with confiding camera angles, one which has friendlier controls (without even changing the controls, ha), and one which doesn't truely require knowledge of previous games in the series in order to enjoy, and one that takes a large step in a new direction in terms of familiarity/setting/enemies (not to mention the VISUALS) wouldn't appeal to a broader audience than, say, the exact same style of game which takes place on a train and has a quasi-complex character switching system.

SantaC

Sho Nuff said:
No. In an FPS you can move. In RE4 you are not going anywhere.

I just saw how Mikami played RE4, and damn he is good. You can evidently play the game fluidly with some practice. You must suck :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
I just saw how Mikami played RE4, and damn he is good. You can evidently play the game fluidly with some practice. You must suck :D

Look, all they have to do is add strafing or SOME KIND OF MOBILITY while you're shooting. In most 3rd person shooters you see the player's entire body and have a wider FOV so there's a good deal more situational awareness. In RE4 you're locked on Leon's shoulders, so you're super limited when villagers are coming at you from all sides and you can't see them. Being totally locked in place while targeting makes it all the more tense/annoying. Being forced to WAIT IN ONE PLACE while Leon does his long-ass reload animation and villagers rape you with pitchforks is infuriating.

You can say it's on purpose to "heighten the suspense" but I call it shitty design.

LOOK. This is an interesting, sexy game with lots of neat stuff in it, but the controls absolutely ruin it for me. If they fix them I will happily buy a copy and drink a tall, frosty glass of Shut the Fuck Up.

I'm sure you can get used to the shitty controls, but I also hear Kirby Air Ride gets good after 60 hours too.

DISCLAIMER: I did not pay money for the demo (I played John TV's).

Sho Nuff

Banned
-=::[Eagle-Vision]::=- said:
Maybe you can't read, but I was talking about the view, and only the view ¬¬

I'm good at reading, I'm in 4th grade!

RE4 has a tighter FOV than most FPS's. It's almost as bad as Halo (which has one of the most limiting FOV's I have ever seen).

Sho Nuff said:
Look, all they have to do is add strafing or SOME KIND OF MOBILITY while you're shooting. In most 3rd person shooters you see the player's entire body and have a wider FOV so there's a good deal more situational awareness. In RE4 you're locked on Leon's shoulders, so you're super limited when villagers are coming at you from all sides and you can't see them. Being totally locked in place while targeting makes it all the more tense/annoying. Being forced to WAIT IN ONE PLACE while Leon does his long-ass reload animation and villagers rape you with pitchforks is infuriating.

You can say it's on purpose to "heighten the suspense" but I call it shitty design.
So what would be the point of, say, the demo area, if you could circle strafe/move while shooting? Have you watched the gameplay video and/or played the demo? There wouldn't be much point of implementing normal FPS controls when the majority of enemies having nothing but hand to hand combat weapons.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Mike Works said:
So what would be the point of, say, the demo area, if you could circle strafe/move while shooting? Have you watched the gameplay video and/or played the demo? There wouldn't be much point of implementing normal FPS controls when the majority of enemies having nothing but hand to hand combat weapons.

I have been bitching BECAUSE I played the demo.

Leon isn't like Doom guy, but ANY mobility, no matter how slow, would make the game so much better.

After thinking about it, maybe if there were way less enemies it'd be easier to cope with the existing controls (similar to the first RE, which usually kept it down to one or two, PLUS you could see when they were coming from behind you). I like picking my shots and aiming for the head, but when you have five guys coming at you from ahead and god knows what from behind, it's just an exercise in tedious-ity.

Maybe the masses of villagers are just a demo thing, and later there will be more wide-angle weapons that can take out three or four in an arc.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Sho Nuff said:
I'm sure you can get used to the shitty controls, but I also hear Kirby Air Ride gets good after 60 hours too.

Funny. I was given a 24 hour vacation for making a similar incendiary comparison...

I agree the limitation of movement and the frozen-while-reloading animation creates extreme tension, but isn't that the point? The game seems to have more of a "fight or flight" mentality to it, where you can quickly become overwhelmed by group attacks. With practice, I'm sure people will learn what tactics to use and environmental awareness will not be a problem. But I understand some just don't have the patience to adapt (like with MGS titles).

Note, I'm a fan of the series. But welcome both the changes and the return of some RE staples.

Sho Nuff

Banned
You have to remember, however, that I am old and cranky and jaded, and haven't bought a Japanese-made game since Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, so you might want to dismiss my opinion entirely as it's probably wrong.

Sho Nuff said:
I have been bitching BECAUSE I played the demo.

Leon isn't like Doom guy, but ANY mobility, no matter how slow, would make the game so much better.
How would slowly strafing at 0.0000000001 mph make the game "so much better"? If you added the standard strafe or mobility that is seen in the majority of FPS's, it would do nothing more than make the game much, much easier.

It'd be like me saying, "They should take all forms of glare or blur out of Burnout 3. I can pop in F-Zero and it's crystal clear, allowing me to see everything on the track, but in Burnout 3, you have the sun glaring off the pavement, the lens flare from the sun right in your eyes, neon tunnel lights washing around the screen, and the freakin screen blurring whenever you hit your boost."

The sheen/glare/blur hampers your abilities in the games, but it's like that for a reason. If it wasn't apparent, the game would be much easier. In order to re-balance the difficulty, they'd have to add more traffic which, in turn, would diminish the usefullness of drifting, which would impact your boost, and change the entire game. I'm not saying that the tank controls are superior to something that Splinter Cell, Halo, or most other games offer, I agree that it's problematic. But the moment you alter the scheme to match another game, you then have to alter the game, and fuck with the entire experience.

After thinking about it, maybe if there were way less enemies it'd be easier to cope with the existing controls
See?

I like picking my shots and aiming for the head, but when you have five guys coming at you from ahead and god knows what from behind, it's just an exercise in tedious-ity.
How is slowly aiming for a headshot on one or two guys exillerating but picking off five guys with a greatly improved aiming system while you have other enemies assaulting you from behind "tedious"? After watching the video IGN put up tonight, I didn't notice anything tedious about the section at all. You were constantly moving, constantly shooting, constantly pressured by dozens of faster enemies. Big improvement over waiting for a lumbering zombie to walk up close enough so you can shoot him in the face (that is if you have enough health or ammo to engage him at all).

i just watched the ign vid of mikami playing and i can't see how anyone can say this installment isn't a big departure from the rest of the series. just watching the vid was intense, so i can't imagine what it would be like playing it.

i think it's obvious this installment is turning the series into much more of an action game, where the previous installments always felt more like puzzle games. i would run from point A to point B hoping to not come across any zombies in previous installments. coming across crazy villagers seems to be the point in re4.

i think the game looks kick ass. i never had that much of a problem with re's controls to begin with and, to be honest, i like the idea of them keeping them the same. some continuity among the games is good i think.

anyway, that's just my two cents anyway. you all go on bitching and moaning. on jan 11th (which happens to be my birthday) i'll be tearing shit up...

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
**scratches head**
Did Sho Nuff just say he's gay?

The direct feed at Gamespot was dark and small. The video at the top of this thread was better quality. Has a full-res, free, direct feed been released?

JMPovoa said:
"I am going to get a GC in Dec just for this game. system fanboys make me sick"

What are you going to do after you finish the game? Sell your GC? :p
You're no better than him.

NO, Get other games for the system. There are a lot of good game on it. By the way I don't Sell my game systems. :p

shpankey

not an idiot
Man, words can't describe just how impressed I am with that video (and the other video in the other thread is also amazing). I am just astounded. Capcom has really outdone themselves. I have always loved Capcom since back in the day when the arcades had Gunsmoke... Wow, just wow.

Wow Resident Evil 4
Wow GameCube
Wow Capcom

Wow wow wow wow WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

I am in wuv!

I am gonna show my daughter this video and she's gonna freak out, me and her are Resident Evil whores and love playing them together. We did the remake on GCN (my favorite) and had a blast and Veronica on the DC (her favorite) and loved every second.

The only thing that concerns me is the aiming looked a little herky jerky. It was to "touchy" and looked very very sensitive. Don't think I'll like that. There is also a lot of brown in the game, but I think it is by choice (looking for an exact "look" probably). Would have been better to not have been soooo brown and instead gone for a more realistic look imo, but I'm not complaining cause the graphics are crazy awesome! The fire on the torches is seriously the best fire in a game, ever.

P.S. that's hands down the best cover art I've ever seen, by a whole whole lot.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sho Nuff said:
You have to remember, however, that I am old and cranky and jaded, and haven't bought a Japanese-made game since Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, so you might want to dismiss my opinion entirely as it's probably wrong.

You live in Japan and haven't bought a Japanese game since VF4? :headscratch:

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Actually all of the RE games are severely flawed. And I absolutely love them. Should be no different with four.

Ill play through it and when the net detractions are < the net fun then I will be satisfied.

maskrider

CVXFREAK said:
I have, and I disagree with you. :D

Well, I also think that the controls are clumpsy and sluggish, adding strafe is one of the ways to make it better. And there should be an auto aiming mode and then use L trigger to switch target, the L button does nothing worthwhile at the moment.

But the better solution is add both strafe and aim while running/walking (even with the clunky C-stick) and let the player select which to use in the options.

People who must use the clunky controls can select the clunky mode.

Sho Nuff

Banned
isamu said:
You live in Japan and haven't bought a Japanese game since VF4? :headscratch:

Amazingly enough, yes. My local importer loves me :) An imported Western game runs at the same price as a Japanese game at retail, BTW...

(I will probably buy Outrun 2 though, ending my Western buying streak.)

maskrider said:
Well, I also think that the controls are clumpsy and sluggish, adding strafe is one of the ways to make it better. And there should be an auto aiming mode and then use L trigger to switch target, the L button does nothing worthwhile at the moment.

But the better solution is add both strafe and aim while running/walking (even with the clunky C-stick) and let the player select which to use in the options.

People who must use the clunky controls can select the clunky mode.
So you want strafing and auto aim? Why not just tape the end of your GameCube controller to your computer and press a lot of buttons while having IGN's video on loop? Seriously, what threat would a circle strafing-auto aiming person with pistols, shotguns, and napalm grenades face against a hoard of lumbering villagers with a knife, chainsaw, or... fists face? I can understand the want for adhering to a superior control scheme, but there'd be no point to the game at all.

maskrider

Mike Works said:
So you want strafing and auto aim? Why not just tape the end of your GameCube controller to your computer and press a lot of buttons while having IGN's video on loop? Seriously, what threat would a circle strafing-auto aiming person with pistols, shotguns, and napalm grenades face against a hoard of lumbering villagers with a knife, chainsaw, or... fists face? I can understand the want for adhering to a superior control scheme, but there'd be no point to the game at all.

Well, that's your choice.

You can make the control even worse and sluggish and then claim that it adds tension just fine.

Strafing and moving while aiming are essential to FPS controls.

edit: the main point is to let the user choose the scheme. People who likes the clunky "tension added" scheme can select the scheme they want

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Why do people want strafing? RE4 is not an FPS. Strafing isn't realistic either. If you're gonna move fast in real life you don't sidestep. You turn around and run... as you would in RE4. Similarly you would rarely run and reload at the same time IRL. RE4 is not Doom or Quake.

maskrider

cybamerc said:
Why do people want strafing? RE4 is not an FPS. Strafing isn't realistic either. If you're gonna move fast in real life you don't sidestep. You turn around and run... as you would in RE4. Similarly you would rarely run and reload at the same time IRL. RE4 is not Doom or Quake.

Ok, so now, the fans of RE and the Cube thinks the control is perfect, any complain is unreasonable.

In real life, I dodge, the villagers dodge and strafe, but not Leon.

cybamerc

I'm not an RE fan by any means. I just wonder why some people think that any action shooter that is played from a first person perspective (or semi-first person/third person as in RE4) must have FPS controls.

maskrider

cybamerc said:
I'm not an RE fan by any means. I just wonder why some people think that any action shooter that is played from a first person perspective (or semi-first person/third person as in RE4) must have FPS controls.

It may sound harsh, but it (RE4) is half ass old RE and half ass FPS control at the moment.
(3rd person view, but ony at the back on FPS like control)

As I said, the villagers dodge and strafe, why doesn't let Leon at least do the same. If you said it adds tension then I will say make it more clunky and you will have more tension just controlling the character.

DCharlie

"Strafing isn't realistic either. "

*stands up*
*tries to shuffle left*
<GOD INTERVENES WITH A SLAP>
*thinks....*
*rotates left*
*walks forward*
*rotates right*

Surely, there is a place for strafing?

cybamerc

Max Payne is an average game with above-average presentation. And just because some games do it doesn't mean all games should.

Sho Nuff

Banned
cybamerc said:
Max Payne is an average game with above-average presentation. And just because some games do it doesn't mean all games should.

I believe texture mapping is highly overrated as well.

DCharlie

if RE4 is now more action orientated , and you have to take on more enemies (as the movie AND the demo seem to show) surely an overhawling of the RE control system to at least make it more fluid to take part in the battle should have happened?

true, just because other games have it, doesn't mean that RE4 should have it. But by the same token, just because previous games in the series have the tank control, why should that be the case now?

if the game has changed significantly, why would the control system from an old PS1 game STILL be the best suited to something that has changed so much?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Tank control was acceptable in the earlier games because you always could see what was immediately around you and react accordingly.

Tank control combined with swarming enemies and a 90-degree FOV...?

After thinking about it, maybe if there were way less enemies it'd be easier to cope with the existing controls (similar to the first RE, which usually kept it down to one or two, PLUS you could see when they were coming from behind you). I like picking my shots and aiming for the head, but when you have five guys coming at you from ahead and god knows what from behind, it's just an exercise in tedious-ity.

It sounds more like you just suck at playing it.

Strafing and moving while aiming are essential to FPS controls.

Again, RE4 is not a FPS.

Most of these complaints are damn ridiculous ¬¬U...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
DCharlie said:
if RE4 is now more action orientated , and you have to take on more enemies (as the movie AND the demo seem to show) surely an overhawling of the RE control system to at least make it more fluid to take part in the battle should have happened?

true, just because other games have it, doesn't mean that RE4 should have it. But by the same token, just because previous games in the series have the tank control, why should that be the case now?

if the game has changed significantly, why would the control system from an old PS1 game STILL be the best suited to something that has changed so much?

Graphics update this time. Control update next time around.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:

Realism is not always the best approach to take when designing a game. The ability to strafe (even if slowly) would enhance the GAME a great deal. Of course, that isn't entirely unrealistic you know. Walking in one direction while looking in another is far from unrealistic. You don't always walk in a straight line, do you?

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that you should be running around sideways here, but being able to look in one direction while walking in another could seriously improve the gameplay here.

Metroid Prime lacked FPS controls, but the combat system allowed you to easily strafe around your enemies. RE4 is a free aiming game, yet your movement is limited to virtually nothing. They do not need to take the dual analog approach here, but more mobility would be a huge plus I think. It was always a complaint I've had with Resident Evil...and I was hoping they'd address it now that it is more applicable.

maskrider

-=::[Eagle-Vision]::=- said:
It sounds more like you just suck at playing it.

Again, RE4 is not a FPS.

Most of these complaints are damn ridiculous ¬¬U...

I said FPS controls (which RE4 is using a half-ass FPS control scheme).

Well, not as ridiculous as the controls. For sure you COULD adjust to it, but it doesn't mask the fact that the control is shit.

SantaC

I had a learning curve for about 10 minutes, then it felt pretty good.

btw i am very surprised
XBOX2protologo
is complaining.
rolleyes.gif
Have you even played the demo?

maskrider

SantaCruZer said:
I had a learning cruve for abotu 10 minutes, then it was all fine.

Depends on what you mean fine, you COULD adjust to even worse controls and play just fine for sure (much like what I've done with SH4), but it doesn't mean the control is fine. The difference is you simply choose to accept it but I complain about it.

The game will only be better with dodge or strafe, even if Leon still cannot move while aiming.

Top Bottom