• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonng

This. A lot of people find it hard to like Star Wars because they weren't able to appreciate it in the time in which it was presented... and...

WPu69.jpg

I was latecomer to the star wars trilogy and I still enjoyed it immensely. Those who don't enjoy it must have built this huge expectation and failed to view it objectively. It obviously does not stand up to current special effects standards but that doesn't deter the first trilogy from being well made movies.

.la1n

NY meetup?
;)

I wish I could make the promise to be there. Flexibility is not my jobs' strong suit.

edit: also when all your staff want valentine's day week off...I mean am I missing something awesome that happens all that week that should differentiate it from any other week with a significant other?

fuckitwelld128571755194554020.jpg

jasonng

This. A lot of people find it hard to like Star Wars because they weren't able to appreciate it in the time in which it was presented... and...

WPu69.jpg

I am a latecomer to the star wars trilogy and I still enjoyed it immensely. Those who don't enjoy it must have built this huge expectation and failed to view it objectively. It obviously does not stand up to current special effects standards but that doesn't deter the first trilogy from being well made movies.

RawPower

Banned
I was latecomer to the star wars trilogy and I still enjoyed it immensely. Those who don't enjoy it must have built this huge expectation and failed to view it objectively. It obviously does not stand up to current special effects standards but that doesn't deter the first trilogy from being well made movies.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that these are old films. In fact, it was pretty freaking obvious when I watched them. They just don't really interest me. It never had anything to do with special effects, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that these are old films. In fact, it was pretty freaking obvious when I watched them. They just don't really interest me. It never had anything to do with special effects, as far as I'm concerned.

Same, But for me it's just that i'm not too into the space fantasy setting or at least not in the way it's presente in Star Wars or Star Trek.

marrec

Banned

This may have already been asked, but do you have an example of a film that you'd say is your 'Star Wars?'. I just want a contextual reference.

RawPower

Banned
This may have already been asked, but do you have an example of a film that you'd say is your 'Star Wars?'. I just want a contextual reference.

I don't know if I have one. I saw my first film when I was 6, and that was in 1992. We mostly watched Disney films until I started going to the movies on my own.

marrec

Banned
I don't know if I have one. I saw my first film when I was 6, and that was in 1992. We mostly watched Disney films until I started going to the movies on my own.

For a reference point:

For me, Star Wars is what introduced me to the Hero's Journey in an epic and accessible way. Before then it was all, like you, Disney films and their ilk. Once I viewed Star Wars I thought all stories should be made that same way. Of course, now I know that you can tell an interesting and emotional story in many different ways... but for the longest time Star Wars was what I measured everything else up to.

Apart from the visual's and soundtrack. It's crap.
crap acting, crap story, crap dialogue.

jasonng

In seriousness I think the generation after would be harry potter in terms of exposure and attention from fandom. Its a poor example though because the movies didn't have the same impact as star wars did.

marrec

Banned
In seriousness I think the generation after would be harry potter in terms of exposure and attention from fandom. Its a poor example though because the movies didn't have the same impact as star wars did.

It's hard to compare something to Star Wars from today because Star Wars did for Genre movies was LotR did for Genre books. To say that Harry Potter is like Star Wars of today is not considering that without Star Wars we wouldn't have Harry Potter.

.la1n

I love having a generic name, I was just informed I was supposed to be a defendant in a court case that I have no idea about.

Atlanta you never cease to amaze me.

facepalm.jpg

Davedough

I love having a generic name, I was just informed I was supposed to be a defendant in a court case that I have no idea about.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

How many people named [s]Tim[/s] la1n could possibly live there?

I always find this weird. Is it really that hard for people to not appreciate that something was great for it's time?

The vast majority of people have not had anything sufficiently explained to them. All they've been told is that, for example, that Star Wars is fuckamazing. And then the watch it and find out that's it's kinda okay, they guess, but it seems really slow and pretty much is just good guys shooting at bad guys and stuff, just like every other movie. The people who like it didn't go into any more detail than "fuckamazing", so the (heh) "haters" have no grounding from which to respect the film.

This is why MLP-GAF needs to step up its game. All I hear is that it's 20% better than everything else, but that's a pretty empty statement unless you're already part of the group that likes it 20% more than everything else. Tell me why it is actually good, bronies!

RawPower

Banned
For what it's worth, almost all of the music I listen to and games I play are from the 80's and early 90's respectively. This is in spite of the fact that I was introduced to most of it long after they were considered "dated".

facepalm.jpg

We should all do as Lissar did and legally rename ourselves. Generic names are too great a burden. ;_;

How many people named Tim la1n could possibly live there?

I know. I thought ".la1n" was fairly unique for a boy's name. Go figure. ;)

.la1n

We should all do as Lissar did and legally rename ourselves. Generic names are too great a burden. ;_;

I know. I thought ".la1n" was fairly unique for a boy's name. Go figure. ;)

I am seriously considering it, this has to be at least the 20th time something like this has happened to me. I also was apparently a guy living in Iowa for a while with three felony charges, funny thing about it was that guy is in jail. Guess they thought I dug out?

Adding people to what?

His upcoming killing spree death toll?

I've always liked how the TIE fighters have "shields" around them (read: matte fuzz). It was amazing the first time I actually noticed that.

everyone said:
So what's the new Star Wars?

Duh.

YOU ... SHALL ... NOT ... PASS!

It's only engendered a billion fantasy ripoffs. Some of them have even been good
, and somehow the good ones tend to have titties, as mentioned in my earlier chat about bronerds
. I personally didn't think it was that great, but that's because I passed my "Star Wars" phase, so to speak. I do give them lots of credit for axing Bombadil. What a shitty character.*

* <braces for hate parade>

marrec

Banned
This is why MLP-GAF needs to step up its game. All I hear is that it's 20% better than everything else, but that's a pretty empty statement unless you're already part of the group that likes it 20% more than everything else. Tell me why it is actually good, bronies!

I'm no brony, but I can explain to you why people enjoy watching it.

The visual gags are very consistently funny for one, they don't waste the fact that all the characters in the show (save one) are cartoon ponies. It's easy to empathize with said cartoon ponies because they are presented as a simple representation of complex human relations. Each character has a set of flaws that are exploited to create humor, it's predictable humor that never really branches out beyond your normal sit-com stuff, but in a much more exaggerated fashion because of the world the show presents.

Mostly though, it's an easy way for me to help explain to my son very important lessons about human relationships. I can talk to him and be a good example to him, but if Rainbow Dash learns humility then it goes a long way towards helping him understand why humility is important.

marrec

Banned
Duh.

YOU ... SHALL ... NOT ... PASS!

It's only engendered a billion fantasy ripoffs. Some of them have even been good
, and somehow the good ones tend to have titties, as mentioned in my earlier chat about bronerds
. I personally didn't think it was that great, but that's because I passed my "Star Wars" phase, so to speak. I do give them lots of credit for axing Bombadil. What a shitty character.*

* <braces for hate parade>

Hmm...

I'm not so sure.

The movies are based on a set of much more influential and beloved books. Half of the movie's fan base are transplanted directly from the books themselves so that they see the movies more of an extension of how awesome the books were.

Maybe though... I don't think we'll see the equal to Star Wars anytime soon because it's influence is still easily felt today.

I'm sitting in a philosophy class where the professor is just talking about adding people...it's been 20 minutes -_-

Ugh. And after only 4 hours of sleep? You are a trooper, Clear. Even my work is not that mind-numbing. I'm very much NOT having anything tonight when I go out with my coworkers. I will be that person who nurses an orange juice (or water) all night.

I am seriously considering it, this has to be at least the 20th time something like this has happened to me. I also was apparently a guy living in Iowa for a while with three felony charges, funny thing about it was that guy is in jail. Guess they thought I dug out?

His upcoming killing spree death toll?

I actually expect that you just burned the prison to the ground, killed the real "Tim," and are simply waiting for your chance to pyro-spree through Atlanta. You can't fool me!

Lissar changed her name to Lissar in real life? :O

She legally changed the spelling of her first name to something way cooler looking. ^_^

Hmm...

I'm not so sure.

The movies are based on a set of much more influential and beloved books. Half of the movie's fan base are transplanted directly from the books themselves so that they see the movies more of an extension of how awesome the books were.

Maybe though... I don't think we'll see the equal to Star Wars anytime soon because it's influence is still easily felt today.

Good point. Once we see "Silmaril: The Animated Series", though, we'll be pretty sure one way or another. ;)

edit: I do want to note, though, that before the first movie of that trilogy, maybe five percent of the viewing audience had read any Tolkien, and maybe one percent had gone on to read the entirety of the trilogy
, and maybe 0.1% had actually gone on to read his other stuff, not counting The Hobbit, because that's pretty much coffee table reading
, so it was generally a totally new experience for the extreme majority of the world.

marrec

Banned
Good point. Once we see "Silmaril: The Animated Series", though, we'll be pretty sure one way or another. ;)

edit: I do want to note, though, that before the first movie of that trilogy, maybe five percent of the viewing audience had read any Tolkien, and maybe one percent had gone on to read the entirety of the trilogy
, and maybe 0.1% had actually gone on to read his other stuff, not counting The Hobbit, because that's pretty much coffee table reading
, so it was generally a totally new experience for the extreme majority of the world.

Do you think? I was insulated by my group of friends. We all wanted to watch the movies because we thought the books were awesome.

I'm one of those people who assume that everyone has read all the books that I have though. I'd thought that the LotR books were one of those sets that everyone had on their shelves.

I'm thinking of changing my first name to Karl, but then I don't know what I would switch my middle name to. First World Problem?

Marx.

.la1n

I still remember seeing that teaser with just a ring dropping and pretty much 90% of the audience having no idea why they should be excited.

edit: or rather why I was excited :p

marrec

Banned
also, Nick Drake, makes me feel at ease.

Nick Drake and the Bad Seeds Nick Drake??

I still remember seeing that teaser with just a ring dropping and pretty much 90% of the audience having no idea why they should be excited.

edit: or rather why I was excited :p

I do remember being one of those dorks who cheered when I first saw the trailer in a theater.

Ahh to be young and excitable again.

*said in monotone voice*

Lissar

Reluctant Member
She legally changed the spelling of her first name to something way cooler looking. ^_^

Which also ups the amount people are likely to mispronounce it too. But it's a small (somewhat amusing) price to pay.

But then, I've also had my last name mispronounced. Not quite sure how they got there.

edit: LotR? I saw the movies but barely remember them. I have, on several occasions both before and after the movies, tried to read through the trilogy. Tolkien is a bit too much for packing on the details, as me and SA were discussing last night. I love The Hobbit, but that was written in a much simpler way. I've never been able to "get" LotR I guess. Maybe if it had been the first fantasy book I ever read. Maybe if I hadn't already read a bunch with really cool female characters, only to find this book had barely any. I don't know.

I do, however, quite admire his conlangs.

.la1n

Which also ups the amount people are likely to mispronounce it too. But it's a small (somewhat amusing) price to pay.

But then, I've also had my last name mispronounced. Not quite sure how they got there.

I will just move somewhere in this world where my name isn't popular. Thailand or something. They appreciate me over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom