• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Because my LotR opinions are going to get buried and I can't have that:

edit: LotR? I saw the movies but barely remember them. I have, on several occasions both before and after the movies, tried to read through the trilogy. Tolkien is a bit too much for packing on the details, as me and SA were discussing last night. I love The Hobbit, but that was written in a much simpler way. I've never been able to "get" LotR I guess. Maybe if it had been the first fantasy book I ever read. Maybe if I hadn't already read a bunch with really cool female characters, only to find this book had barely any. I don't know.

I do, however, quite admire his conlangs.

edit edit: Is it a surprising to anyone that I enjoy conlangs? I have, in fact, pieced together part of my own. I really ought to go back to it.

just according to keikaku

Always. :)

I'm thinking of changing my first name to Karl, but then I don't know what I would switch my middle name to. First World Problem?

You don't like your middle name either?

I hate you miss Pro

You could, but I think First World Problem is a pretty weird middle name.

Hey, now. I had to work through the holidays. This is my belated comp holiday trip.

Which also ups the amount people are likely to mispronounce it too. But it's a small (somewhat amusing) price to pay.

But then, I've also had my last name mispronounced. Not quite sure how they got there.

At least it looks awesome, right? My last name is totally common and VERY Mexican, yet people insist on pronouncing is Sha-vez as opposed to Cha-vez. I'll never understand it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
goodnighttahm.jpg

A bit of writing from my conlang. It means, appropriately, "good morning".

I'm out.

It's been fun, guys.

Just avatar changing or not going to hang out with us anymore? Because if it's the latter... :<

leadbelly

Banned

edit: LotR? I saw the movies but barely remember them. I have, on several occasions both before and after the movies, tried to read through the trilogy. Tolkien is a bit too much for packing on the details, as me and SA were discussing last night. I love The Hobbit, but that was written in a much simpler way. I've never been able to "get" LotR I guess. Maybe if it had been the first fantasy book I ever read. Maybe if I hadn't already read a bunch with really cool female characters, only to find this book had barely any. I don't know.

I wouldn't know lissar. I only read books with pictures in.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well got back from my physical! I'll be gone for two days around this time for the next four weeks if I get in so bai bee ahead of time.

Got home and looking for some foods and playing the Mahou Tsukai no Yoru demo.

marrec

Banned

edit edit: Is it a surprising to anyone that I enjoy conlangs? I have, in fact, pieced together part of my own. I really ought to go back to it.

I actually do not enjoy the LotR books as much as some other nerds. I felt like they were slow, especially since I read LotR AFTER reading Dune. (I consider Dune to be mostly Fantasy) But I was VERY excited for the movies because I felt like the movies would, if done right, be fucking awesome.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I wouldn't know lissar. I only read books with pictures in.

Figures. :x

I actually do not enjoy the LotR books as much as some other nerds. I felt like they were slow, especially since I read LotR AFTER reading Dune. (I consider Dune to be mostly Fantasy) But I was VERY excited for the movies because I felt like the movies would, if done right, be fucking awesome.

Much of sci-fi could be considered sci-fantasy actually. A fact that my father constantly laments. He does like Dune though.

for a minute, I thought conlang was a language you would use specifically at con's.

Well, given how there are quite a few in fantasy and sci-fi, that's not too far off. :x But then Esperanto is a conlang too.

Davedough

Speaking of names, and i'm gonna throw my last name out there. Horvath. Very common Hungarian name, but I'll excuse the fact that its not so common in the states. Its pronounced exactly as its read... there's no funky silent letters or false vowels. Why is it that SOOOOOO many people cant get it right? I'll give you the fact that its unusual, to some degree, but damn.

I'm out.

It's been fun, guys.

Your tag! Hahahahahaha! (could have been worse. heeheehee)

Sincerely,
L.T. Impaler

It's the opposite. Karl is my middle name and I love it. I'm just not too fond of Patrick being my first name.

Then just make it... Karl Karl <insert last name> :D

It's not surprising that you like conlangs at all. ;)

As for LotR... I LOVE those books. Tolkien does pack on the details, but that's part of why I love them so much. Such rich history and planning went into every aspect of that world (to an admittedly ridiculous degree) and as a kid I had poured through the Silmarillion and the Tolkien Beastiary to such an extent that our school library just gave them to me.

marrec

Banned
Speaking of names, and i'm gonna throw my last name out there. Horvath. Very common Hungarian name, but I'll excuse the fact that its not so common in the states. Its pronounced exactly as its read... there's no funky silent letters or false vowels. Why is it that SOOOOOO many people cant get it right? I'll give you the fact that its unusual, to some degree, but damn.

I work with a Horvath... *narrows eyes*

Much of sci-fi could be considered sci-fantasy actually. A fact that my father constantly laments. He does like Dune though.

It's hard to tell an interesting story from a strickly Hard Sci-Fi perspective. Stuff like Red Mars or Pandora's Star turns a lot of people off because it's as much capital S SCIENCE as it is Fiction with almost no fantasy.

There are almost no examples of popular hard Sci-Fi in movies or books because of this fact.

I can't come up with an alternative name for myself. The creative juices just ain't flowing today.

I'll get your juices flowing.

Do you think? I was insulated by my group of friends. We all wanted to watch the movies because we thought the books were awesome.

I'm one of those people who assume that everyone has read all the books that I have though. I'd thought that the LotR books were one of those sets that everyone had on their shelves.

Everybody watched it. I know very, very few people who read it all the way through (and most of my friends are nerds). The numbers suggest that it is closer to parity than my experience suggests, though.

That would make it a Second World Problem.

marrec said:

I gave up at Lothlorien. Then again, I found Dune to be painfully tiresome to read the first time around. It felt like they were walking around in the desert for decades. I did actually go back and read up to book 6, as well as one of the estate novels. Some of it was quite good.

...all this talk about last names has me thinking "chives". And now I'm hungry again.

edit: I think one of LotR's big contribution is making it obvious that you can have a faithful adaptation of a fantasy novel -- without shitting it up to make it more "movie-like" -- and still be able to reap massive rewards. Hopefully, this practice continues to expand into other genres. Maybe we'll even get a Dick movie one day that's actually based on more than the titles of his books.

Also, what happened to javascript today?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
It's not surprising that you like conlangs at all. ;)

As for LotR... I LOVE those books. Tolkien does pack on the details, but that's part of why I love them so much. Such rich history and planning went into every aspect of that world (to an admittedly ridiculous degree) and as a kid I had poured through the Silmarillion and the Tolkien Beastiary to such an extent that our school library just gave them to me.

I love details too, I have several book series where you can buy extra books going into the details of the world (Dragonriders of Pern being one of them >>.) But putting everything you can into the story itself can kind of weigh it down. I like a good balance.

leadbelly

Banned
Perv. Obviously he's sitting on a concrete barrier in front of the Washington Monument. How could you not see that?

Also, you said 'couldn't care less' as opposed to 'could care less'. That does not go unnoticed my friend. I will spare you from future impalement.

At least it's not Chayvs

Truuuue...

I don't have a middle name and I'm supremely jealous.

If you don't have one, then you're in a good position to just legally add one! Can RP Gaf vote on one for you? ;)

You will never guess my middle name.
Actually you probably will. My mother lacked a certain amount of imagination when naming my sister and I, it seems.

Blame Caesar.

That bastard. *shakes a fist* Your last name sounds so Skyrim, and totally suits your berserker nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom