• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Judging from these pics, Karl2177 seems to be the real impaler around these parts.

Thanks. I just laughed out loud, while I was in the library. I only got a couple weird stares luckily.

I gave up at Lothlorien. Then again, I found Dune to be painfully tiresome to read the first time around. It felt like they were walking around in the desert for decades. I did actually go back and read up to book 6, as well as one of the estate novels. Some of it was quite good.

I skipped over Elrond's Council, but finished the books. I still have yet to read Dune.

Karl.jpg

also, Nick Drake, makes me feel at ease.

You know, the modern Simpsons writers were trying to bring Karl back at one point for a gay marriage episode.

The voice actor refused to come back once he saw the script, because he felt the writers didn't get the character.

Puddles

Banned
I think A Song of Ice and Fire did a really good job of building a detailed world without slowing down too much. The stream of consciousness writing style that Martin often uses helps with that, because you can just slip in a nugget of backstory at almost any point.

This is actually a bit of a problem for the tv adaptation. So far, it seems they've only figured out how to tell the backstory by having characters talk about it while having sex.

Chuckie

I love the Lord of the Rings books. I read the Dutch version twice and the English version thrice. Personally I love the slow pace and details but I can understand that not everybody will like it.

David, here. My father and I swapped first and middle names.

Despite having a way too common name and middle name, I've never been comfortable using other names for myself. Even this one here. I want people to know who I am, not who some fake guy with a fake name and a fake picture is.

My nickname is my initials. I'm even slightly uncomfortable about that. Weird.

I think A Song of Ice and Fire did a really good job of building a detailed world without slowing down too much. The stream of consciousness writing style that Martin often uses helps with that, because you can just slip in a nugget of backstory at almost any point.

This is actually a bit of a problem for the tv adaptation. So far, it seems they've only figured out how to tell the backstory by having characters talk about it while having sex.

Haha. A clever move on the part of the TV adapters. ;)

And agreed about the SIF series. With the exception of the latest book, I thought the pacing/info balance was very well done. It's the best fantasy series I've had the pleasure of reading in years. I love Robert Jordan's books, but they are all over the place (likely towards the end due to his illness and him rushing to get them out). At least Brian's been doing a good job finishing them up.

Do you fucking hate life or something?

My full name is Jason Ng (last name is pronounced like "ing" or Eng). You can have a lot of fun with it. Get it, gaf.

Oh, the possibilities...

I love the Lord of the Rings books. I read the Dutch version twice and the English version thrice. Personally I love the slow pace and details but I can understand that not everybody will like it.

*high five*

Karkador

Banned
I'm part of the no-middle-name master race. We don't need a silly second first-name that will never be used; our first one is already perfect.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm part of the no-middle-name master race. We don't need a silly second first-name that will never be used; our first one is already perfect.

If I ever have a child, no middle names :x Honestly, they always tend to go with the "let's honor an older member of the family" route and it leaves you with something awkward.

Davedough

I was asked at CES if I was the creator of Ugly Dolls. Apparently his name is the same. If I wasn't married, I would have told her yes.

Puddles

Banned
I knew a guy named Jack whose middle name was just the letter O. His parents had a pretty good sense of humor, apparently.

Davedough

If I ever have a child, no middle names :x Honestly, they always tend to go with the "let's honor an older member of the family" route and it leaves you with something awkward.
My first name represents my grandfather. My middle reflects the language native to the country I was born in. My last name... Well, that's obvious

Haha. A clever move on the part of the TV adapters. ;)

And agreed about the SIF series. With the exception of the latest book, I thought the pacing/info balance was very well done. It's the best fantasy series I've had the pleasure of reading in years. I love Robert Jordan's books, but they are all over the place (likely towards the end due to his illness and him rushing to get them out). At least Brian's been doing a good job finishing them up.

Arggg, yet another series I poured myself into and got burned out on!

I think I got like six books in until I finally went "wow, he's just phoning it in, isn't he?" At that point, it felt like the same story, over and over, with the same hair-curling and the same relationship angst. It's kind of the reason why I gave up a few seasons into Lost and BSG. It seemed evident that TPTB didn't really know where they were going despite implying from the start that everything was mapped out.

I should start reading again. I primed myself with some Pratchett a month ago, and it seems I'm capable of going forward with all cylinders rolling. Maybe Martin should be my next try.

RawPower

Banned
Oh! Somewhat close. You got the first letter right. :) But remember, my mom is the Irish one, not the Mexican. That and my middle name has nothing to do with my racial background at all. She apparently just 'liked' it. -_-

Jessica
Martha
Chavez

That's all I could come up with.

Puddles

Banned
I also know a guy whose legal name is Grg. Someone fucked up on the birth certificate and left out the e.

Arggg, yet another series I poured myself into and got burned out on!

I think I got like six books in until I finally went "wow, he's just phoning it in, isn't he?" At that point, it felt like the same story, over and over, with the same hair-curling and the same relationship angst. It's kind of the reason why I gave up a few seasons into Lost and BSG. It seemed evident that TPTB didn't really know where they were going despite implying from the start that everything was mapped out.

I should start reading again. I primed myself with some Pratchett a month ago, and it seems I'm capable of going forward with all cylinders rolling. Maybe Martin should be my next try.

I started reading The Eye of the World, and I just couldn't hang with it. I liked the part where they were in that dead city, but the rest was pretty boring. And since that was supposed to be one of the more exciting books, I realized that the series wasn't for me.

You should definitely try Martin. Go pick up A Game of Thrones from your library or bookstore (or kindle store) whenever you have a chance.

.la1n

Oh! Somewhat close. You got the first letter right. :) But remember, my mom is the Irish one, not the Mexican. That and my middle name has nothing to do with my racial background at all. She apparently just 'liked' it. -_-

I almost put just an M. that way I could leave it wide open but I figured I should make a more direct guess.

edit: on the note of anonymity: I can give out my full name and I assure you that everyone would still have to dedicate large amounts of time tracking me down.

edit edit: fun fact: my birth mother was Irish, family name was Murphy

leadbelly

Banned
I love the fact that my name is extremely common. Safety among numbers.

Also, lol grass type is worst type.

Actually I am curious. Do you have Chinese origins?

Usually Chinese people have two names; one Chinese, the other European. That would be typical in HK.

I always saw it as a back up name just in case your child hates their first name. Though I guess I only think this way due to my friend hating his first name and going basically only by his middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom