• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ties

Banned
Never too late
Cool! When I was a lurker, I saw everyone raving about Real Pic January and I thought it would be a fun thing to be a part of as soon as my account was approved on here.

But it seems like you all have switched to cookies (potatoes? lol) of yourselves. How did this come about?

jasonng

Cool! When I was a lurker, I saw everyone raving about Real Pic January and I thought it would be a fun thing to be a part of as soon as my account was approved on here.

But it seems like you all have switched to cookies (potatoes? lol) of yourselves. How did this come about?

I like you.

Well we wanted to try a new month-long theme since January was coming to a close and one member, Tence, decided to draw our RP avatars using MS Paint

Oh good, now that someone else has admitted it, I don't care for Star Wars either :O

It's not like I hate it exactly. It's not that. It's just every time I try to watch a movie I get bored (yes, even the originals.)

Star Wars is important because it's the easiest film to point to when you want to find out what film started the whole Hollywood effects-heavy blockbuster craze that's been a fad for the past, oh, thirty years or so. Despite this, it is paced very slowly compared to a modern action film. It's also really a rather basic story which happens to have an incredibly detailed setting. Nerds like that sort of thing. LotR is popular pretty much for the same reason.

But the blockbuster thing is why it's groundbreaking. It pretty much laid down the blueprint for 90% of the movies that make nerds' toweled legs wet.

(it's also indirectly responsible, therefore, for some of the worst films ever made, and that's not even remotely laying into even the bad stuff in its own fictional universe)

Instead we watched Star Trek, so I DID get into that series. Not that I think one is better than the other (don't want to start a ST vs. SW debate here.) It's just not what I ended up growing up with.

If it involves Michael Dorn hanging out with a bald guy, I'm totally there.

I never really got in to Star Trek, but I admittedly never tried.

I thought the J.J. Abrams movie was alright.

The J. J. Abrams movie was basically Star Wars with a new hat.**

Star Trek's importance is that it was the first* non-anthology science fiction show that (A) was reasonably popular, and (B) took itself very seriously for the most part. It was a series of morality plays set in the guise of a Old West drama. It is at its best (usually) when it tries to look at an element of Humanity or of civilization, and it is at worst when it is about a bad guy trying to blow up planets.

Although one of the the best episode is about planets blowing up. But it is also about a man so clouded in his judgement with grief and responsibility that he unknowingly places others in danger.

As an aside, it generally takes credit for being a somewhat realistic treatment of a future in which aliens aren't always trying to invade us, robots aren't always trying to destroy us, and humankind somehow has managed to work together without our cultural neuroses getting in the way. Plus, the Engineer character in the show, who prefers reading books to going out on vacations, is treated in a mature and dead serious manner as a normal person, not in a stupid jokey way that nerds are always treated. This ... was really important for people of a certain social group growing up in the late '60s and pretty much the following two decades.

(plus, he only murdered like two or three women, and it was dark anyway)

If you ever want to try out Star Trek, talk to Mama Robotnik.

In fact, somebody find out what Mama Robotnik looks like and have Tense do what Tense does. We need some MR added to this mix.

* it's remembered as the first. I'm sure there are other examples. Lost in Space is not one of them.

edit:

** that's unfair for me to say. There was a lot that they did that was very respectfully homagey to Star Trek. Nonetheless, it was a Space Action Fantasy Film, like Star Wars, not a Space Western Morality Play, like Star Trek tends towards.

Acid08

Banned
Oh good, now that someone else has admitted it, I don't care for Star Wars either :O

It's not like I hate it exactly. It's not that. It's just every time I try to watch a movie I get bored (yes, even the originals.)

You see, my dad hates the movies, and so we NEVER watched them when I was growing up. I'm sure if I had, I'd love them too.

Instead we watched Star Trek, so I DID get into that series. Not that I think one is better than the other (don't want to start a ST vs. SW debate here.) It's just not what I ended up growing up with.
> :[ you guys are really showing your true colors.

Karkador

Banned
I was very nerdy for Star Wars when I was an adolescent, but I feel like The Fifth Element ruined/saved SciFi for me by being sci-fi while also being fun and stylish. I think that movie really expanded my tastes, even if it's not high art. I still like the original trilogy as an accomplishment in film/special effects, but everything on top of that is pretty meh.

Kccitystar

Is that a DAVE BEER?

havk9.jpg

For most of the past fifteen to twenty years, it's really been a battle to see which franchise can embarrass themselves the most.

Star Wars is the film equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog. Every once in a while, they pull out something that makes you remember why you loved the first few games, but after a certain point, the titles just took a new direction and almost universally started sucking hard.

Star Trek is like ... I dunno, what's a game franchise that started out solid, stayed high quality for a while, then gradually became worse and worse until it completely self-annihilated, but was eventually reimagined in a way that was high quality but quite different from the classic titles? Like ... Prince of Persia, maybe?

Acid08

Banned
For most of the past fifteen to twenty years, it's really been a battle to see which franchise can embarrass themselves the most.

Star Wars is the film equivalent of Sonic the Hedgehog. Every once in a while, they pull out something that makes you remember why you loved the first few games, but after a certain point, the titles just took a new direction and almost universally started sucking hard.

Star Trek is like ... I dunno, what's a game franchise that started out solid, stayed high quality for a while, then gradually became worse and worse until it completely self-annihilated, but was eventually reimagined in a way that was high quality but quite different from the classic titles? Like ... Prince of Persia, maybe?

DON'T MAKE ME CATCH A BODY

I'm mad now.

*enters nerdmode*

DON'T MAKE ME CATCH A BODY

I'm mad now.

Yeah? So since Return of the Jedi in 1983, how have those films been going for ya?

The Ewok Adventure (1984)
The Battle For Endor (1985)
A New Hope, terrible added shit edition (1997)
The Empire Strikes Back, not as bad added shit edition (1997)
Return of the Jedi, terrible added shit edition (1997)
Episode I (1999)
Episode II (2002)
Episode III (2005)
The Clone Wars (the poorly received movie, not talking about arguably awesome Tartakovsky animated show)
Episode I post-converted 3D (ohshitlikein2weeks!)

Hell, even on television, they lucked out once with The Clone Wars (animated version). But did you forget the Droids cartoon? How about the Ewoks cartoon? This singular good TV show was just making up for past mistakes ... and it was negated, I'm told, by the far inferior cgi version of The Clone Wars.

...wait, what the fuck is this?! It would seem that I will have to look around for a copy of this particular crap. I am, after all, a bad TV show completionist. I didn't watch all the episodes of Pac-Man: The Animated Series for nothing!

Counterpoint: The Star Wars video games are almost entirely superior to the Star Trek video games. We're talking leaps and bounds above. There are like three Trek games (the classic one most commonly known as EGATrek, the anniversary game, and that dumb Voyager first person shooter) that are better than the worst Star Wars games, and that's pretty much it. Hell, even the Empire Strikes Back for the Atari 2600 was pretty great!

edit: I would like to point out that 1984 is older than most people here. Star Wars has pretty much sucked for the average lifetime of RP-GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom