• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
*enters nerdmode*

Yeah? So since Return of the Jedi in 1983, how have those films been going for ya?

The Ewok Adventure (1984)
The Battle For Endor (1985)
A New Hope, terrible added shit edition (1997)
The Empire Strikes Back, not as bad added shit edition (1997)
Return of the Jedi, terrible added shit edition (1997)
Episode I (1999)
Episode II (2002)
Episode III (2005)
The Clone Wars (the poorly received movie, not talking about arguably awesome Tartakovsky animated show)
Episode I post-converted 3D (ohshitlikein2weeks!)

Hell, even on television, they lucked out once with The Clone Wars (animated version). But did you forget the Droids cartoon? How about the Ewoks cartoon? This singular good TV show was just making up for past mistakes ... and it was negated, I'm told, by the far inferior cgi version of The Clone Wars.

...wait, what the fuck is this?! It would seem that I will have to look around for a copy of this particular crap. I am, after all, a bad TV show completionist. I didn't watch all the episodes of Pac-Man: The Animated Series for nothing!

Counterpoint: The Star Wars video games are almost entirely superior to the Star Trek video games. We're talking leaps and bounds above. There are like three Trek games (the classic one most commonly known as EGATrek, the anniversary game, and that dumb Voyager first person shooter) that are better than the worst Star Wars games, and that's pretty much it. Hell, even the Empire Strikes Back for the Atari 2600 was pretty great!

edit: I would like to point out that 1984 is older than most people here. Star Wars has pretty much sucked for the average lifetime of RP-GAF.

downloader.php

Seriously though, I know all that stuff sucks. Doesn't change the fact that the Star Wars stuff I love outclasses everything else.

lolvader.gif

Seriously though, I know all that stuff sucks. Doesn't change the fact that the Star Wars stuff I love outclasses everything else.

I know, I'm playing with you. :)

A New Hope is amazing, if a little slower paced than we're used to these days. Empire Strikes Back is shockingly good (and even with stellar pacing!), and Return is quite great, even if some elements falter. Tons of the video games rock, some of the books are great, the aforementioned animated Clone Wars is solid, the role playing game is well put together.

The fan films are often very fun, too. TROOPS, for instance, is masterful.

And I never wanted to run around with a phaser when I was a kid.

(on the matter of slave leia versus Starfleet miniskirt, my judgement is clear: the more the merrier)

edit: TROOPS (I wish there was a better copy out there -- there probably is, but I'm too lazy to do a real hunt)

Acid08

Banned
I know, I'm playing with you. :)

A New Hope is amazing, if a little slower paced than we're used to these days. Empire Strikes Back is shockingly good (and even with stellar pacing!), and Return is quite great, even if some elements falter. Tons of the video games rock, some of the books are great, the aforementioned animated Clone Wars is solid, the role playing game is well put together.

The fan films are often very fun, too. TROOPS, for instance, is masterful.

And I never wanted to run around with a phaser when I was a kid.

(on the matter of slave leia versus Starfleet miniskirt, my judgement is clear: the more the merrier)

How I wish George Lucas wasn't the writer/director of the prequel trilogy. They could have been so good but that stupid little fuck had to make literally every wrong decision the entire way. I love KOTOR 1&2 as much as the original trilogy, such fantastic games.

How I wish George Lucas wasn't the writer/director of the prequel trilogy. They could have been so good but that stupid little fuck had to make literally every wrong decision the entire way. I love KOTOR 1&2 as much as the original trilogy, such fantastic games.

Incidentally, I may have already mentioned this, but the 30s Silent Edition of the films is actually very watchable. I had it going at a party a couple weeks ago, and a bunch of the people there was glued to the screen for five hours. Nice thing is that because the speaking parts are replaced with dialog cards, you get vastly improved dialog in the prequel trilogy, and people who want to just enjoy the party and ignore the films can do so without distraction.

Acid08

Banned
Incidentally, I may have already mentioned this, but the 30s Silent Edition of the films is actually very watchable. I had it going at a party a couple weeks ago, and a bunch of the people there was glued to the screen for five hours. Nice thing is that because the speaking parts are replaced with dialog cards, you get vastly improved dialog in the prequel trilogy, and people who want to just enjoy the party and ignore the films can do so without distraction.

I need to watch these.

Chuckie

Ok, so now that I'm awake, I'll just come out and say: I don't understand Star Wars either.

Things I don't understand about Gaf:

The Olivia Munn hate. On Gaf it seems she's almost worse than Hitler
The Big Bang Theory hate. I know it's not a great comedy, but it seems entertaining enough. Is it 'Geek-culture' that is not properly 'displayed'?
Batman Begins love. Nice movie, but for me had some flaws (Irish white old ninjas), when I dared mention it I got crucified.

RawPower

Banned
I think I'm just not into the whole "galactic" setting. It was never my thing, but I make exceptions every now and then.

The Big Bang Theory hate. I know it's not a great comedy, but it seems entertaining enough. Is it 'Geek-culture' that is not properly 'displayed'?
Batman Begins love. Nice movie, but for me had some flaws (Irish white old ninjas), when I dared mention it I got crucified.

A lot of things about geek culture are completely lost on me. Whenever there's some obscure reference, I find myself completely lost and dumbfounded as to what everybody is talking about. So you're not alone there.

.la1n

That power nap I referred to? It became an entire night of sleep. It did not help any, apparently I am getting sick. Time to kill it with orange juice.

jasonng

Saw that you knew, I can change the link to what I originally wanted!

EDIT: Oh wait, we're still not friends. Fuck you, la1n.

For me, I just dislike how completely off the funniness:popularity ratio is.

Also it's not cynical enough.

*the most cheerful cynical bastard you will ever meet*

jasonng

Just don't let it happen again. I will not let you bring down the quality of this thread about only real life avatar pictures.

Ok, so now that I'm awake, I'll just come out and say: I don't understand Star Wars either.

This amazes me from a sociological perspective. It makes total sense. I and my contemporaries love Star Wars for the same reason why somebody fifty years older than me loved the Flash Gordon serials, or why someone a hundred years older than me was glued to every Verne book that came out, the moment they reached the local book store. It was something so radically different** from what came before, that there was nothing to compare it against from a perspective of quality. It was like an entirely new kind of fun.

Nowadays, all the tropes are so set in stone that the trendsetting things that the movie and its sequels did are normal and therefore completely uninteresting. Oh, the bad guy really has a bad guy controlling him? Whatever. Oh, there's a secret twist at the end that changes the whole storyline. Well, just shammalammadingdong me dead, I've never seen anything like that more than once a month at the cinemas!

It's like Mel Brooks's "History of the World, Part I". Pretty much every good joke there now exists in other films. Hell, Brooks himself stole some of the better jokes. The theme song from "Robin Hood: Men in Tights" came from that movie, and it annoyed me that so many people loved the latter film when it did so much shameless ripping off of his earlier stuff. But that's another discussion.

Point being, every generation has new experiences that had never existed before, and they get hard written into the brains of people being developed at the time. After this point, the experiences have no novelty, because they can be found elsewhere. Motion controls are no longer a super hotness. You're not going to sell your system on the basis of it having that analog stick. Wow, having a 64-bit processor really isn't that great anymore. Lol, unshaded polygonal rendering.

I saw the first episode or two. It felt like it was making fun of me and my friends. How would you feel if, for instance, you were gay and all the jokes in "The Big Wang Theory"* were about how uncomfortable it is to be around gay people and how they're weird and shit?

That power nap I referred to? It became an entire night of sleep. It did not help any, apparently I am getting sick. Time to kill it with orange juice.

You stole my sleepy. I was unable to sleep until 4:30am.

This one stays today. It's too touching and I'm in a sentimental mood :p

Standards have dropped. In my day, a GAFfer would have photograph themself hugging someone and put it up.

* ...sorry.

** Remember how the Matrix had that clever slow-mo photography trick that made it cool, because before then we'd only seen it in a GAP commercial? Well, that's pretty much the degree to which the entire length of the first Star Wars film differed from pretty much any movie that had been around before.

Davedough

** Remember how the Matrix had that clever slow-mo photography trick that made it cool, because before then we'd only seen it in a GAP commercial? Well, that's pretty much the degree to which the entire length of the first Star Wars film differed from pretty much any movie that had been around before.

This. A lot of people find it hard to like Star Wars because they weren't able to appreciate it in the time in which it was presented... and...

WPu69.jpg

marrec

Banned
Don't you hate it when one person being a fool at work ruins your whole day.

I'm trying to be professional and take the high road, but inside I just want to make them cry.

Anyway, Hello RealGAF!

RawPower

Banned
Don't you hate it when one person being a fool at work ruins your whole day.

I'm trying to be professional and take the high road, but inside I just want to make them cry.

Anyway, Hello RealGAF!

Being a fool in what way? What is he/she doing?

.la1n

You stole my sleepy. I was unable to sleep until 4:30am.
Standards have dropped. In my day, a GAFfer would have photograph themself hugging someone and put it up.

I did not mean to steal your sleepy, I am sorry. You can have it back tonight. I would photograph myself hugging someone and put it as my avatar if I actually had anyone to hug.

marrec

Banned
Being a fool in what way? What is he/she doing?

Me and him have a long history that I was completely oblivious too. He's taken issue with how often I disagree with him, apparently believing it to be a personal vendetta against him.

How egotistical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom