• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
I thought everyone knew Itagaki.
I'm so happy someone picked up on it. I thought it was too subtle.
I don't eat many cookies. In fact, I don't eat many sweets at all.

I love chocolate though. That's it.
Yeah whatever, Mr. I am healthy. How many TF2 engagement rings have you given out now?
Nope, I have reason to believe it to be a neurofibroma
Ah well good it's not a cyst but that still sucks. :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does the game run in widescreen? Any glitches in sound/picture?
You know, I hadn't thought about it- I assume it's being stretched by default, but I'd be playing it on the same monitor as my previous playthrough and I didn't notice. I'm sure the aspect ratio can be controlled with your driver control panel (Nvidia CP or Catalyst) if necessary. It's from 1999, so don't expect much technically, but it's got gorgeous design and prerendered art. Really inspired stuff, honestly.

No glitches in audio or video at all in my two playthroughs, though admittedly this will be my first time through on this computer.

Davedough

Random screenshot? Random screenshot.

Ui0bt.jpg

Karkador

Banned
You know, I hadn't thought about it- I assume it's being stretched by default, but I'd be playing it on the same monitor as my previous playthrough and I didn't notice. I'm sure the aspect ratio can be controlled with your driver control panel (Nvidia CP or Catalyst) if necessary. It's from 1999, so don't expect much technically, but it's got gorgeous design and prerendered art. Really inspired stuff, honestly.

No glitches in audio or video at all in my two playthroughs, though admittedly this will be my first time through on this computer.

Well, I see that GOG also has it for the same price, and I trust them more to release a working classic game, so I think I'll go with them. Other than the game itself, I feel that if we're going to do this in this thread, we have to enreal it somehow.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Aw, problem with installing Windows twice...? I wonder what the deal was. Windows LOVES to be installed multiple times in my experience, but I've never used Bootcamp before even once.

I mean, I could TRY to install it again but... see, the OS version I have is German. I can get through the normal installation process just fine, but if there is a problem I might have a bit of trouble reading it...

Well, I see that GOG also has it for the same price, and I trust them more to release a working classic game, so I think I'll go with them. Other than the game itself, I feel that if we're going to do this in this thread, we have to enreal it somehow.

I have the GOG version so I can recommend that one (I also have the disc version that came with Dreamfall, but I haven't tried that one yet...) I'm not sure how well it works in newer versions of Windows since I was using XP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I see that GOG also has it for the same price, and I trust them more to release a working classic game, so I think I'll go with them.
Oho, I had no idea it would be on GOG too. Very cool...
GOG page said:
Bonus content included for FREE with the game: manual (38 pages) 2 HD wallpapers guide soundtrack 5 avatars 29 artworks
...GIMME
Other than the game itself, I feel that if we're going to do this in this thread, we have to enreal it somehow.
Cool, any ideas? We could say how the lessons in the game apply to our real lives.

...I'm not really even joking. The plot has more emotional resonance than plenty of feature films.

I mean, I could TRY to install it again but... see, the OS version I have is German. I can get through the normal installation process just fine, but if there is a problem I might have a bit of trouble reading it...
German..? o_O
I have the GOG version so I can recommend that one (I also have the disc version that came with Dreamfall, but I haven't tried that one yet...) I'm not sure how well it works in newer versions of Windows since I was using XP.
7's XP compatibility mode is pretty effective I think. In any case if I can actually run a jury-rigged version of the original 4-disc copy on 7, a digital distribution version should be just fine.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
German..? o_O

Since my boyfriend is German, when I wanted to install Windows he said, "Oh here, use this!" and gave me his German XP disc. I don't mind using it in German since I'm studying it, it's just any errors that might come up concern me just a tad ._.

edit:
Oho, I had no idea it would be on GOG too. Very cool...

...GIMME

And this is why I prefer to buy older games on GOG, yes.

Steam can't even be bothered to give you the manual most of the time ._.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Since my boyfriend is German, when I wanted to install Windows he said, "Oh here, use this!" and gave me his German XP disc. I don't mind using it in German since I'm studying it, it's just any errors that might come up concern me just a tad ._.
This is when you put on the cat ears and go, "Sweetie, will you sit with me and make sure I understand any of these Windows install errors?
Mrrowr?
"
Steam can't even be bothered to give you the manual most of the time ._.
I had no idea they included stuff like that with old releases. I want that stuff bad, especially the soundtrack and avatars. Who knows where my manual is from back in the day, either...

Don't you just have to get to the point of the install where it asks you what language you want to use for the system? Or change it right after the install with whatever localization control system it uses? I was under the impression that operating systems generally allow you to choose languages.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't you just have to get to the point of the install where it asks you what language you want to use for the system? Or chance it right after the install. I was under the impression that operating systems generally allow you to choose languages.
Well, the North American install discs for at least most version of Windows definitely all have major languages supported. I don't know how things are distributed elsewheres.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Dave, my boyfriend said that last sentence was hilarious.

Also, now he says he's going to get Amalur and play it everyday and tell me how awesome it is.

Davedough

Dave, my boyfriend said that last sentence was hilarious.

Also, now he says he's going to get Amalur and play it everyday and tell me how awesome it is.

You liked my wife yesterday for her comments against my flowers. I now like your boyfriend because of his dedication to my cause. =)

And that last sentence was the best I could do with 1 year of High School German and Google Translate.

um Screenshots in Deutsch posten Lissar unter die Haut gehen

ga.e za.e ñíri nu pàd.men.e Lissar.ra zid i.me.am še-ga.men

(I think it's good you show screenshots to Lissar)

lit: "I agree that it is righteous that you show lightning flash pictures to Lissar."
Fuck, that was hard! Also, "lightning flash" is what I use for anything electronic. A computer is a "lightning flash box". Couldn't find the word for "game", dangit!

leadbelly

Banned
When I was talking about main themes, this is what I was talking about (since FFVII doesn't have a vocal theme, this is as close as it gets. It's final boss battle music, not random town music. :<)

Also, why would anyone assume I've forgotten One Winged Angel? Only the most overplayed game song of all time!

Well, actually, I did wonder why you would forget that. When you said 'main themes' I assumed you meant the main theme of a game. :p

In FFVII that would be this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UARM4q7hHU

Incidentally, I know that I'm absolutely mauling the language (though I hope that I'm recursing phrases correctly -- it seems obvious to do it the way I've been doing it), but I can sleep soundly at night knowing that nobody's boyfriend knows Sumerian.

Zomba13

Okay, back on track for these:

InfiniteNine:

infinitenine.jpg

ZeroRay:

zeroray.jpg

I just realized... both your names have numbers in them. And two words stuck together. *stares* INFINITE RAY 0/9! *paging SA to put this in the comic somehow*

Tomorrow will be Acid and Hawk!

:O so good.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Douche has always sounded like a German word to me.

Fart too.

*waves the etymology wand*

Douche actually comes from French, meaning "stream of water". BUT the German word for shower is "Dusche", which possibly came from this same Romantic language source* :D

edit: Indeed, it comes from the exact same word in French!

The etymology of fart from Wikipedia:

The English word fart is one of the oldest words in the English vocabulary. Its Indo-European origins are confirmed by the many cognate words in other Indo-European languages: It is cognate with Greek &#960;&#941;&#961;&#948;&#959;&#956;&#945;&#953; (perdomai), Latin p&#275;d&#277;re, Sanskrit pardate, Avestan p&#601;r&#601;&#948;aiti, French "péter", Russian &#1087;&#1077;&#1088;&#1076;&#1077;&#1090;&#1100; (perdet') and Polish "pierd" << PIE *perd [break wind loudly] or *pezd [the same, softly], all of which mean the same thing. Like most Indo-European roots in the Germanic languages, it was altered by Grimm's law, so that Indo-European /p/ > /f/, and /d/ > /t/, as the German cognate furzen also manifests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom