• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jess.png
she shot me down
i hit the ground
that awful sound

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Someone once suggested I send her a love letter on parchment written with a quill.

I have an inkpot and quill, so I could technically do this.

Old fashioned style parchment would be hard to get a hold of I'm sure.

I'm not sure how I would feel about receiving such a letter :eek:

Not writing much here today because I've just been laying down, trying not to move my arm too much.

"Dear Lady,

I know this guy on the web who knows some people who know you. Would you be my wife?

Sincerely,
ShockingAlberto

PS: I'm not creepy like that James guy you don't know."

edit: wait, was his name "Jason" actually? Man, historical facts are fading from my brain faster than ever!

Yes his name is jasonng and you should avoid him at all costs. I hear he gets turned on by knives.

It was James

Old fashioned style parchment would be hard to get a hold of I'm sure.

I'm not sure how I would feel about receiving such a letter :eek:

Not writing much here today because I've just been laying down, trying not to move my arm too much.

It still hurts? What on earth exercise were you doing last night?

jasonng

"Dear Lady,

I know this guy on the web who knows some people who know you. Would you be my wife?

Sincerely,
ShockingAlberto

PS: I'm not creepy like that James guy you don't know."

edit: wait, was his name "Jason" actually? Man, historical facts are fading from my brain faster than ever!
Whatever happened to just giving a girl a good old fashioned crown of sonnets.

What exactly is "double tonguing"? At first, I was like "woohoo, time to search google to see if Rule 54 is still active!", then I was like "Hmm, it's a bunch of people saying "takataka" into a musical instrument. I still do not understand this at all.

http://youtu.be/inED9IicIpc?t=3m17s

Listen to that run he does down with separate notes. That is his tongue flickering quickly with each note, and this is called double tongue.

Davedough

Today is the day that just keeps on giving. Walked into the house to find the inside of my dog's anus on display for me all over the floor. Smells lovely in Camp David

Acid08

Banned
Today is the day that just keeps on giving. Walked into the house to find the inside of my dog's anus on display for me all over the floor. Smells lovely in Camp David

My cat(RIP) used to throw up on my bed while I would do homework. He was a little fucker, loved him though.

Puddles

Banned
I finished a novel chapter that had really been giving me problems, and in doing so I solved a huge logistical problem in the story. Awesome.

Puddles

Banned
Writing this book is probably getting me on some kind of watch-list. Today I had to do a bunch of research on different types of body armor, armor-piercing rounds, and nuclear reactors. Tomorrow, who knows?

AcridMeat

Banned
I finished a novel chapter that had really been giving me problems, and in doing so I solved a huge logistical problem in the story. Awesome.

Writing this book is probably getting me on some kind of watch-list. Today I had to do a bunch of research on different types of body armor, armor-piercing rounds, and nuclear reactors. Tomorrow, who knows?
Let me know when you get this thing done man!

My very limited/casual reading of The Forever War is going well. Things have gotten pretty depressing, I like it.

Yes indeed, Little RealGAF. I dig it.

Should that be the theme for April?

Last time a future theme was decided in advance, it was railroaded at the last minute. I think this crowd is a bit on the spontaneous side, not the heavy planning side.

Let me know when you get this thing done man!

My very limited/casual reading of The Forever War is going well. Things have gotten pretty depressing, I like it.

I liked it enough to read one of the sequels. Somehow, I got on a kick of reading stories where individuals span incredibly long lifetimes, like The Last Immortal, and (I'm pretty sure based on memory and the title The Boy Who Would Live Forever). Oh, and those mostly shitty sequels to Ender's Game (first sequel was amazing, mind).

edit: Also the anime Gunbuster. It had similar elements of time dilation causing someone to live for a really long time. But I saw that some time in the mid-90s, so it's not part of this particular temporal block.

Okay. I have a flat version of my intended pumpkin costume, much like how a map is a flat version of a world. I threaded heavy string across the entirety of the "North" and "South" edges, and the hope is that once those strings are tightened and the "map" is compressed vertically, the whole thing will assume a vaguely spheroid shape. This is ... possible. Well, there are tricks I could also do to help it along. But I'm tired, the Faire starts tomorrow, and I don't want to have to do a major revamp of the thing if I fail.

I also got black wrapping paper and wrapped a box in a way that it can easily open. There'll be an orange bow on top. I'm going to fill it with candy and have it attached to me in some manner, like with string or something. That's my backup (or alternate day) attire. Well, clothing, too.

Acid08

Banned
Last time a future theme was decided in advance, it was railroaded at the last minute. I think this crowd is a bit on the spontaneous side, not the heavy planning side.

I liked it enough to read one of the sequels. Somehow, I got on a kick of reading stories where individuals span incredibly long lifetimes, like The Last Immortal, and (I'm pretty sure based on memory and the title The Boy Who Would Live Forever). Oh, and those mostly shitty sequels to Ender's Game (first sequel was amazing, mind).

edit: Also the anime Gunbuster. It had similar elements of time dilation causing someone to live for a really long time. But I saw that some time in the mid-90s, so it's not part of this particular temporal block.

Okay. I have a flat version of my intended pumpkin costume, much like how a map is a flat version of a world. I threaded heavy string across the entirety of the "North" and "South" edges, and the hope is that once those strings are tightened and the "map" is compressed vertically, the whole thing will assume a vaguely spheroid shape. This is ... possible. Well, there are tricks I could also do to help it along. But I'm tired, the Faire starts tomorrow, and I don't want to have to do a major revamp of the thing if I fail.

I also got black wrapping paper and wrapped a box in a way that it can easily open. There'll be an orange bow on top. I'm going to fill it with candy and have it attached to me in some manner, like with string or something. That's my backup (or alternate day) attire. Well, clothing, too.

AWWWWWW YEAH

The way it ties into Diebuster is brilliant too.

Davedough

Got myself a new armor set. +2 to all Sorcerer abilities, +30% resistances to all, +65% Mana regeneration, +35 Health, +45 Mana, +25% Magic critical hit.

Hells yeah.

4is59.jpg

Puddles

Banned
Can anyone recommend some anime with the following features?

- No loli/moe shit whatsoever.
- Protagonist, male or female, who is a fucking boss.
- No harem shit.
- Nothing where the girls freak out and whine and giant teardrops appear on their faces and their eyes get really small or turn into rectangles or any of that crap. I guess this one isn't a dealbreaker if it only happens once or twice.
- Some good action.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Sword of the Stranger, Vampire Hunter D (and Bloodlust), Wicked City, and... that might be it.

- No harem shit.
- Nothing where the girls freak out and whine and giant teardrops appear on their faces and their eyes get really small or turn into rectangles or any of that crap. I guess this one isn't a dealbreaker if it only happens once or twice.
- Some good action.

I've seen Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Sword of the Stranger, Vampire Hunter D (and Bloodlust), Wicked City, and... that might be it.

What's "harem" mean in this context?

- No harem shit.
- Some good action.

Gurren Lagann, Berserk, Claymore

- No harem shit.
- Some good action.

Digimon Savers.

Seriously. The main character punches Digimon for a living.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

- No harem shit.
- Some good action.

Great anime appropriate for general audiences, with no shitty basement dweller virgin body pillow tropes:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus
Baccano!
Rurouni Kenshin Trust/Betrayal OVA (Tsuiokuhen)
Samurai Champloo
Planetes
Guardian of the Sacred Spirit (Seirei no Moribito)
Kino's Journey
Mushishi
Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade
Miyazaki films

Ultra badass hair on your chest anime:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Davedough

If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, do it. Also Clearacell listed some really good ones.

Noein is pretty decent. Ergo Proxy has no anime silliness at all. Basilisk is a really good ninja anime.

And, my personal favorite. Gungrave. I cannot recommend this enough.

Wallach

- No harem shit.
- Some good action.

Check out Berserk and Fist of the North Star.

Puddles

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations, guys.

As great as GL is, it takes a tolerable anime pallet to appreciate it. If he doesn't want any of the silliness, he may not like it.

Some silliness is okay. Like, I'm fine with Bulma's freakouts and Goku eating a refrigerator's worth of food in DBZ (although I have other issues with that series).

Acid08

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Some silliness is okay. Like, I'm fine with Bulma's freakouts and Goku eating a refrigerator's worth of food in DBZ (although I have other issues with that series).

It's a different kind of silly. A better kind of silly. MANLY SILLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom