• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Portal games are some of my favorites ever. I've really enjoyed HL2, but I'm kind of terrible at it so I haven't finished it yet. I was so bad at Mirror's Edge I couldn't get passed the first level and it made me quite sick. I really wanted to enjoy it.

Mirror's Edge isn't a shooter. It's first person, but not really a FPS in my opinion.

There are shooty bits... right? Like I said, I never got through the first level. Actually I should amend that, I never got through the TUTORIAL.

RawPower

Banned
Portal games are some of my favorites ever. I've really enjoyed HL2, but I'm kind of terrible at it so I haven't finished it yet. I was so bad at Mirror's Edge I couldn't get passed the first level and it made me quite sick. I really wanted to enjoy it.

There are shooty bits... right? Like I said, I never got through the first level. Actually I should amend that, I never got through the TUTORIAL.

I think of it this way. Uncharted had shooty bits, but it wasn't really a 3rd person shooter. It was action adventure.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think of it this way. Uncharted had shooty bits, but it wasn't really a 3rd person shooter. It was action adventure.

But Uncharted's shooty bits were the bulk of the game (note: I've only played/watched the first one. My boyfriend did shooting and I did exploration/puzzles. Guess who played the game the majority of the time?) I have a hard time classifying it as an action adventure, to be honest. It's too lopsided.

But Uncharted's shooty bits were the bulk of the game (note: I've only played/watched the first one. My boyfriend did shooting and I did exploration/puzzles. Guess who played the game the majority of the time?) I have a hard time classifying it as an action adventure, to be honest. It's too lopsided.

UC2 flips it a bit. It's a more even ratio, erring more to platforming/cutscenes than shooty bits.

One of the reasons the Vita game is getting such a cold reception is that it's patterned more off the first game than UC2.

RawPower

Banned

To each their own. It sounds like we didn't even play the same game. It had a lot of shooting, but it wasn't the central theme of it. There was a good chunk of platforming and puzzles.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
To each their own. It sounds like we didn't even play the same game. It had a lot of shooting, but it wasn't the central theme of it. There was a good chunk of platforming and puzzles.

Totally agree with you, I wouldn't classify Uncharted as a third person shooter myself because that really wasn't the main focus. Plus, in UC2 you CAN avoid shooting most of the time if you go with stealth, Plus, there were a few areas that you could skip all together if you stealth and just leave a few enemies and move onto the next section, only possible in a few areas though. If you tried that in some you'd either suicide, have a partner killed or get killed by an enemy that would appear out of nowhere after you pass a certain bit. I remember doing that in the second train crash bit and always got killed by shotgun armoured guys from behind whenever I tried to leave the area even though they hadn't noticed me yet. I remember passing through a few areas without either getting noticed or dying in nepal bits, though, so it was a bit random.

EDIT: really missed stealthing in Uncharted 3. :(

WPTQs.jpg

Chuckie

So now I am gonna do something I thought I'd never do... but I will do it for you Real Gaf... I will show you my wife.

dinne.png

She saw the pics on my laptop... and I had to made her one on the spot...or bad things would happen.

RawPower

Banned
So now I am gonna do something I thought I'd never do... but I will do it for you Real Gaf... I will show you my wife.

dinne.png

She saw the pics on my laptop... and I had to made her one on the spot...or bad things would happen.

Cease your laughing, tormentor

Chuckie

Haha, yes :D And your wife is quite pretty, Tence. Did you say she is Indonesian? Do you speak any of the language?

Yeah she is Indonesian, although 'blood-wise' she is 3/4 Chinese. And I speak the language almost as good (or bad) as I speak English.

Chuckie

Oh :eek: I thought she had more of a Chinese look actually. Teach us some Indonesian! :D

How are you? - Apa kabar?
I'm fine, how are you? Baik-baik, kamu?
Fine too, draw me. - Baik juga, gambarin aku
Later, I'm tired - Ntar, aku lagi capek
Now, or I'll kick your ass - Sekarang, kalo gak, aku tamparmu

Lissar

Reluctant Member
How are you? - Apa kabar?
I'm fine, how are you? Baik-baik, kamu?
Fine too, draw me. - Baik juga, gambarin aku
Later, I'm tired - Ntar, aku lagi capek
Now, or I'll kick your ass - Sekarang, kalo gak, aku tamparmu

Ahahahaha. The only phrases you need!

Did you learn before you met your wife, or because you met your wife?

Chuckie

Ahahahaha. The only phrases you need!

Did you learn before you meet your wife, or because you met your wife?

Before. I actually have a master in 'shit about Indonesia'. I studied the language, culture, law, politics, history etc about Indonesia.
I met her there the sixth time I was there, she was a friend of someone I already knew for a couple of years.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Before. I actually have a master in 'shit about Indonesia'. I studied the language, culture, law, politics, history etc about Indonesia.
I met her there the sixth time I was there, she was a friend of someone I already knew for a couple of years.

Hahaha. That's cool :D What was it that interested you about the place?

I'm studying German now, and of course a lot of people think it is solely because my boyfriend is German. But before I met him I was trying to decide between German and French as my third language :eek: It just made my decision easier.

Can we please stop talking about your wife? I'm still single here.

And thus lonely. ;_;

Single fo' life bro

:c

*listens to more pop-punx about being shit with girls*

Though it's not even that I'm shit with girls, I'm good with them, just in entirely the wrong way. After the initial shyness, but I get that with everyone.

Chuckie

Hahaha. That's cool :D What was it that interested you about the place?

I'm studying German now, and of course a lot of people think it is solely because my boyfriend is German. But before I met him I was trying to decide between German and French as my third language :eek: It just made my decision easier.

Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony, it is estimated that 2 million people in the Netherlands (that's 1/8th of the population) have at least a drop of Indonesian blood in them.

My moms uncle was a missionary over there, my uncle worked there...
So there is kind of a bond between Holland and Indonesia.

When I was a young lad..I was really attracted to Asia (a weaboo you might say..but before the anime and waifu's) and I chose Indonesia because for us Dutchies it is so much 'closer' than Thailand or Cambodia.

RawPower

Banned
Single fo' life bro

:c

*listens to more pop-punx about being shit with girls*

Though it's not even that I'm shit with girls, I'm good with them, just in entirely the wrong way. After the initial shyness, but I get that with everyone.

Pop punk about girls usually makes my depression even worse, for some reason.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony, it is estimated that 2 million people in the Netherlands (that's 1/8th of the population) have at least a drop of Indonesian blood in them.

My moms uncle was a missionary over there, my uncle worked there...
So there is kind of a bond between Holland and Indonesia.

When I was a young lad..I was really attracted to Asia (a weaboo you might say..but before the anime and waifu's) and I chose Indonesia because for us Dutchies it is so much 'closer' than Thailand or Cambodia.

I had a weaboo phase as well, but it only lasted until I actually spent a bit of time in Japan :D I still ended up getting one of my BAs in Japanese though. Mostly because I became interested in medieval literature. Holland has quite a history with Japan as well. Quite amazing for such a small country :D (Nagasaki has so much Dutch stuff, even a place called Hollander Hill.)

It is helpful when studying German linguistics (not just learning how to speak it, studying its inner workings) to have a native speaker boyfriend. The book made a claim and I showed him the sentence example they had (without telling him what it was supposed to be about) and he actually didn't understand their intended meaning. Book fail! :D

I am not big into FPSs. Here are some examples of ones I would be interested in playing:

Civil War FPS (MP would be pretty cool, I think.)
Fantasy FPS (fantasy doesn't just mean medieval, guys)
Any setting that isn't WWII, modern, or sci-fi. I think we've seen enough, thanks.
More FPS where you can at least choose to be a woman (this shouldn't be that complicated.)
More FPS where I can create a character (high level of customization is nice.)

(inspired from a conversation with my boyfriend)

Speaking of nice settings, can't wait for Bioshock Infinite :eek:
+1 on all points.
Spanish Civil War FPS or Strategy game would be awesome, even an action rpg.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How about an FPS (or FP whatever, no guns) in this universe:
sUwnyh.jpg

Fairly crappy Xbox near-launch game called Azurik. By and large it sucked. But while playing it I got a huge inkling that its fantasy universe would lend itself heavily to better games.

edit: Oh and despite the relatively generic sci-fi atmosphere I should mention that Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is among the most unique, entertaining and memorable FPS games ever and should be an inspiration to future iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom