• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Thanks guys! It was a lot of work, but... now I'm kind of sad it's over :| (at least my part.)

Eh, I think I'll just draw random pictures with some characters during the month! No requests this time, you'll just have to wait and see :D

Remember my rail-thin kitty from three weeks ago?

"Spayed:"
uPOEIl.jpg

Preggers:
ypEZul.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FROM RPG-RPG PRODUCTIONS!

We are proud to announce three all new DLC characters that will soon be added to the roster. This DLC will be entirely free (because we kick ass like that.) Please continue to check this space for more updates.

A preview of what characters this DLC features:

Sentry the Teleporter:

sentry.jpg

AgentWhiskers the World-famous Bard:

agentwhiskers.jpg

and doitlive the Master Horseman (with bonus horse Kiki):

doitlive.jpg
Well then! Seems I've got some additions to do :D

Credit Hawkian for the website. All I did was write some silly bios =)
Credit AgentWhiskers for the track. All I did was write some silly code ;)

Chuckie

Behind every great Black Mage, there is a White Mage to support him in times of trouble:

tencewife.jpg

Dinne, The White Mage

Thanks Lissar for granting this special request <3 You are the bestest!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think we get another 10,000 posts before we have to make a new thread.

So with the DLC pack that'll make 4 rows of 8 characters. I'll have to squeeze Dinne in somewhere if she gets a bio :p

Chuckie

Evilore used piercing gaze.... user was banned?
too easy.. =/

ARGH. I'm supposed to be translating but I had two cups of iced coffee and now I can't sit on the chair properly I'm so jittery. ;.; Anyone know how to get rid of coffee jitters? Time?

From (or to) what language do you translate?

Chuckie

Japanese to English. :D

It is harder than I anticipated :(

The hardest part of translating (for me) is actually making it still sound good in Dutch (or English in your case). You don't just have to translate it, but also often rewrite it, otherwise it sounds stiff or odd.

I once had to translate during a wedding, on the spot, from Indonesian to Dutch. Man the sentences coming out of my mouth were really awkward. Luckily with written translations you have more time.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
No, but it was certainly super effective.

<3

dont pretend you dont want me

We want everyone :eek:

The hardest part of translating (for me) is actually making it still sound good in Dutch (or English in your case). You don't just have to translate it, but also often rewrite it, otherwise it sounds stiff or odd.

I once had to translate during a wedding, on the spot, from Indonesian to Dutch. Man the sentences coming out of my mouth were really awkward. Luckily with written translations you have more time.

Oh I HATE interpreting. I refuse to do it unless I really have to. I'm just not good enough at switching between oral forms of a language (whereas I'm very quick with written forms.)

If I do it I can afford to go to Japan for 4 months, which is why I'm doing it :p (2ish grand for 90,000 characters - not too bad for my first translating job).

Yeah, that's what I'm struggling with now. You really have to reword everything, since a lot of the concepts are different, and this document has ridiculously long sentences where by the time I get to the end I've forgotten the beginning. Its taking about twice as long as I thought and I'm falling behind (I'm supposed to do 10 pages a day until thursday but I've only been doing 5) :( Its even harder on the spot when you have to be thinking in two languages and listening all at the same time @_@

Which is your first language, by the way? :O I hope one day I can master three languages like you! Is translating your job??

Chuckie

Which is your first language, by the way? :O I hope one day I can master three languages like you! Is translating your job??

My first language is Dutch.

My best foreign languages are English and Indonesian. I'm slightly better in English, but I sometimes dream in Indonesian.

I can understand (but not really speak) German
I understand a tiny bit of French (but not really worth mentioning)

Edit: I also understand, but not speak Manadonese, which is an eastern variant of Indonesian

Edit 2: Lissar, Dinne loooved your drawing. I sent it to her mobile :D Thanks from her.

Tence, you are my new idol. :O

Did you live in Indonesia? Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've heard that Indonesian has a lot of borrowed Dutch words because of the occupation. Does that have anything to do with why you speak both?

The only Indonesian word I know is terima kasih :p

Chuckie

Tence, you are my new idol. :O

Did you live in Indonesia? Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've heard that Indonesian has a lot of borrowed Dutch words because of the occupation. Does that have anything to do with why you speak both?

The only Indonesian word I know is terima kasih :p

<3

I have not lived there, but have worked there for two months. All time combined I think I spent almost 2 years of my life there.

I actually studied Indonesian (not only language but also culture, law, history etc).
I've always wanted to study an Asian language, Indonesia was the choice for me because of Dutch-Indonesian shared history.

Indonesian has a lot of borrowed words from Dutch, but in the grand sceme of things it doesn't help at all. It's funny to now and then see a Dutch term, but these terms are more often used in law-language or technical language, not normal Indonesian.

ooooh interesting :D Sounds a lot like Japanese and English (Though like you said it doesn't really help in the grand scheme of things, except when I get lazy and say things like "back suru " when I forget the Japanese word people generally understand :p). Korean is kind of interesting that way too, because they have English (and Dutch) words - but they got them through the Japanese so its even more bastardised.

leadbelly

Banned
I wish I could speak another language. I wish I could download one directly to my brain like in the matrix.

Funny really how language is so inherent to the human species, yet it is somewhat made up and different the world over. It is not fixed, it is forever changing. I wonder what language we spoke thousands of years ago before all the other languages.

The graph on that wiki page is awesome.

I wish I could speak another language. I wish I could download one directly to my brain like in the matrix.

Funny really how language is so inherent to the human species, yet it is somewhat made up and different the world over. It is not fixed, it is forever changing. I wonder what language we spoke thousands of years ago before all the other languages.

I wish that too ;.; That's why I want my future kids (if any) to spend their first 7~ years overseas so they can grow up bilingual, which is about as close to cheat codes as you can get :p

Even English is completely different depending on where you go, which I find to be pretty cool. What makes sense to you might be completely foreign to me. language is a funny thing.

leadbelly

Banned
I wish that too ;.; That's why I want my future kids (if any) to spend their first 7~ years overseas so they can grow up bilingual, which is about as close to cheat codes as you can get :p

Even English is completely different depending on where you go, which I find to be pretty cool. What makes sense to you might be completely foreign to me. language is a funny thing.

My uncle lived in Germany. His daughter speaks English really well. He basically spoke English to her from the day she was born while her mother spoke German. That's the way to do it. At that period of their life, their brain is basically in learning mode.

I was thinking of doing it that way too :D

Yeah. probably isn't the earliest form of language though. What were they speaking before they came out of Africa? If that is where we actually originated.

Was there an actual language then? When did gestures, non-verbal and semi-verbal communication become languages... if only we had a time machine... Its hard to know otherwise. No documentation. :(

Chuckie

Yeah I believe in the first 5 years a kid can easily learn any language 'automatically' ... after that it is the same process as for us adults (although they do still learn faster)

leadbelly

Banned
Was there an actual language then? When did gestures, non-verbal and semi-verbal communication become languages... if only we had a time machine... Its hard to know otherwise. No documentation. :(

lol

Yeah. We probably started off with grunts. Although, some people still speak with grunts it seems. Particularly young teenagers when communicating with their parents. :D

I'd love to go back to the Victorian age for some reason. I'm not sure why, I just have a fascination with that period.

It is weird though. All animals communicate with each other in some way or another. It is a perfectly natural thing, yet at the same time made up. With a lot of things, culture and nature are blurred. It is hard to determine sometimes what is natural and what is cultural.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah. probably isn't the earliest form of language though. What were they speaking before they came out of Africa? If that is where we actually originated.
Proto-Indo-European isn't even close to the earliest form of language. He was referring to what you asked- what language "we" would have been speaking "thousands of years ago" and he's most likely right about that. There are a large number of languages still spoken today that aren't even descendants of PIE; Basque, for example, which is surrounded by Indo-European relatives is a total linguistic isolate and apparently unconnected to any of them.

The "earliest form of language" by our modern definition, what you might be looking for, is Proto-Human Language, which, while impossible to learn or speak, we are able to define a remarkable number of words from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom