• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
Proto-Indo-European isn't even close to the earliest form of language. He was referring to what you asked- what language "we" would have been speaking "thousands of years ago" and he's most likely right about that. There are a large number of languages still spoken today that aren't even descendants of PIE; Basque, for example, which is surrounded by Indo-European relatives is a total linguistic isolate and apparently unconnected to any of them.

The "earliest form of language" by our modern definition, what you might be looking for, is Proto-Human Language, which, while impossible to learn or speak, we are able to define a remarkable number of words from.

Yeah. When I said 'we' I was referring to the human species in general though.

Many linguists reject the methods used to determine these forms

In other words, who the fuck knows? :p

Clydefrog

MWM2v.png

even my name is Eric

I'd love to go back to the Victorian age for some reason. I'm not sure why, I just have a fascination with that period. .

Reminds me of the comic where the girl goes back in time and gets excited by all the Victorian era stuff ("oh wow a gentleman!") and then gets the plague :p

Related, my dog has started laughing in his sleep. Its super creepy.

leadbelly

Banned
Reminds me of the comic where the girl goes back in time and gets excited by all the Victorian era stuff ("oh wow a gentleman!") and then gets the plague :p

lol

Well, I became fascinated with the Victorian age after going to the Black Country Museum with the school. It's basically a whole Victorian town/village that has been recreated within the museum. They have actors that basically live the way they did in Victorian times. You can go around to the shops or houses and they go through their day to day lives. Always been interested with that period since then.

I think I know what you mean. My dog makes like a whining sound when he sleeps.

Chuckie

Weren't people like stanky-ass in the Victorian age? I remember reading once that back then people thought you would get a disease if you bathed too much. So they hid their body odour with shitloads of perfume.

God I can almost smell it already.

Also terrible medicine including bleeding with leeches, terrible food and people being grandparents at 40. Actually there's an awesome show where these people lived like victorian period people, it was pretty interesting. They had to stuff themselves at big feasts and then not eat for three days (some kind of ritual in preparation for battle actually). I wish I could remember the name..

EDIT: A lot of this document actually repeats itself, with the dates and names changed. Aww yeah lazy times! except for the first time I have to translate it, in which case its more screw that, gaf times!

leadbelly

Banned
Also terrible medicine including bleeding with leeches, terrible food and people being grandparents at 40. Actually there's an awesome show where these people lived like victorian period people, it was pretty interesting. They had to stuff themselves at big feasts and then not eat for three days (some kind of ritual in preparation for battle actually). I wish I could remember the name..

Yeah. A lot of children didn't make it into adulthood either. They had huge families back then, but they had to really because infant deaths were pretty high. Wasn't a particularly pleasant place for the poor.

A picture from that museum I was talking about. :)
Black%20Country%20Museum%203.jpg

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Dear fuck, I stink. I've been stuck on this oil rig for the past 4 days because of bad weather (choppers don't fly when the weather is dusty). Haven't showered, haven't brushed my teeth, I've been even wearing the SAME CLOTHES the entire time. I want out. :(

Hawkian, I'll check out the website when I'm back hopefully. Internet here is really, really bad.

Chuckie

Dear fuck, I stink. I've been stuck on this oil rig for the past 4 days because of bad weather (choppers don't fly when the weather is dusty). Haven't showered, haven't brushed my teeth, I've been even wearing the SAME CLOTHES the entire time. I want out. :(

Hawkian, I'll check out the website when I'm back hopefully. Internet here is really, really bad.

You would fit into the Victorian Age then ;)

leadbelly

Banned
I really wanna visit that museum leadbelly. Picture reminds me of this recreated 1860's gold mining town I went to, sovereign hill.
SovereignHill_wideweb__470x309,0.jpg

I have no idea why it says New York.

Oh cool. It looks like a town in the wild west. If it wasn't mentioned, I would think it was somewhere in the United States. Not New York though as that was pretty well built up in that time period. I wouldn't mind visiting that place either. :)

I like the old saloons with the 'batwing' doors. I'm speaking of the American style saloons specifically as I am not sure if they had them in Australia.

leadbelly

Banned
Thinking about it, we don't really need to recreate these towns from different periods as we still have them.

This is Stratford-upon-Avon for instance. Where Shakespeare was born. I'm sure a lot of you may already know that, just if you didn't.

stratford10.jpg

RawPower

Banned
Thinking about it, we don't really need to recreate these towns from different periods as we still have them.

This is Stratford-upon-Avon for instance. Where Shakespeare was born. I'm sure a lot of you may already know that, just if you didn't.

stratford10.jpg

It looks like an old German town, if the architecture is anything to go by. But alas, it's in England.

leadbelly

Banned
It looks like an old German town, if the architecture is anything to go by. But alas, it's in England.

Nah, I think they're a typically English style. They're generally known as Tudor houses, as it was the style when the Tudors were on the throne. Some of those houses go back to the time of Henry VIII.

I loved going into the dungeons of this place as a kid. :D
800px-Warwick_Castle_-mist_23o2007.jpg

Chuckie

Nah, I think they're a typically English style. They're generally known as Tudor houses, as it was the style when the Tudors were on the throne. Some of those houses go back to the time of Henry VIII.

I loved going into the dungeons of this place as a kid. :D

I loved castles as a kid (still do actually)
One of my favorites was this one in Slovenia.

slovenia17.jpg

The castle itself was not so special, but the fact it was in a mountain, with caves behind it was awesome.

leadbelly

Banned
I loved castles as a kid (still do actually)
One of my favorites was this one in Slovenia.

slovenia17.jpg

The castle itself was not so special, but the fact it was in a mountain, with caves behind it was awesome.

Yeah. England doesn't really do mountains (lol). The place is pretty much flat.

The style of castles we have in England though are the ones you generally think about when the word is mentioned.

800px-Bodiam-castle-10My8-1197.jpg

That's what you think when you think of a castle.

Chuckie

Yeah. England doesn't really do mountains (lol). The place is pretty much flat.

The style of castles we have in England though are the ones you generally think about when the word is mentioned.

800px-Bodiam-castle-10My8-1197.jpg

That's what you think when you think of a castle.

This Belgian one looks really castle-y too.

800px-Gravensteengent22042008.JPG

leadbelly

Banned
Oh yeah, I do not envy their weather AT ALL.

As a side note, risk is an amazing (friendship ruining) board game.

Neither do I. It would drive me crazy. December 2010 was the coldest I remember it being. We had snow on the ground for pretty much a whole month. I got pretty sick of that quite quickly. I couldn't imagine how annoying it must be to have snow just getting deeper and deeper for a whole winter. The winters they have are long as well.

The climate in England is temperate maritime. That basically means we generally don't have extreme cold or extreme heat. However, that doesn't mean it isn't cold in the winter or hot in the summer.

Chuckie

As a side note, risk is an amazing (friendship ruining) board game.

Oh yeah I rememberplaying Risk with drunk friends.
Two drunk friends of Tence playing Risk:

Drunk friend A: You're a fucking coward! That's a fucking cowardly attack!
Drunk friend B: Hey, everything is allowed in Risk
Drunk friend A: Oh yeah? Is it allowed if I burn your fucking eye out with this cigarette???!!!

Good times.

Oh man.

We spent a whole week playing that and poker when I went camping with my friends in the middle of summer at 95 - 104 F ish (if my calculations are correct). So many arguments about large blinds and small blinds, and it all came to a head when my friend who got blister pimple things from sunburn's pimples were burst when my other friend smacked him on the back =/

Worst is when people form alliances, and then reneg and take over everything. dick move.

leadbelly

Banned
Is it sad that I have never played risk?

I used to play cluedo and monopoly a lot though. Actually there was a board game I absolutely loved playing, but I can't think for the life of me what is called now. :/

Chess is probably my favourite board game. Probably the greatest board game ever made.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like Risk and Stratego and Chess and Go. I have yet to ever finish a game of Monopoly according to the rules.

.la1n

Good morning /evening / night everyone. I had a wonderful night of rest and am currently finishing out the final day of work for this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom