• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davedough

Lissar, I knew you'd be cool enough to make a comment about playing emulators with a 360 controller (as I do).

Fuck yeah. Attagirl.

Edit: That graphic pisses me off more and more the longer I let it linger in my mind. Zelda games I have played with a 360 controller include: The Legend of Zelda (Nestopia), A Link to the Past (ZSNESX), Ocarina of Time (Project64), and Twilight Princess (Dolphin). Come at me, people posting links thinking they're all clever and crap

I'm Dolphin stupid... school me.

How would one simulate waggle motion for Twilight Princess with a 360 controller?

Sadetar

Lissar, I knew you'd be cool enough to make a comment about playing emulators with a 360 controller (as I do).

Fuck yeah. Attagirl.

Edit: That graphic pisses me off more and more the longer I let it linger in my mind. Zelda games I have played with a 360 controller include: The Legend of Zelda (Nestopia), A Link to the Past (ZSNESX), Ocarina of Time (Project64), and Twilight Princess (Dolphin). Come at me, people posting links thinking they're all clever and crap
I don't like emulators in general. If I want to play The Legend of Zelda I play it with my NES, if I want to play Ocarina of Time I play it with N64 or with GameCube and if I feel like Twilight Princess would be my pick I start my GameCube.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm Dolphin stupid... school me.

How would one simulate waggle motion for Twilight Princess with a 360 controller?
I have motion mapped to the triggers. You can customize the degree of motion, shake, whatever to tie to a button press, which is really simple for the sword swipe. The one thing I can't do reliably is the shield attack. It's finicky.

For aiming, clicking the right stick (R3) causes the stick to become an emulated mouse pointer, which I can then move about the screen, no sensor bar needed. The setup is a better fit for Super Mario Galaxy, but it works.

For skyward sword I imagine I'd need to pair an actual wiimote, though.
I don't like emulators in general. If I want to play The Legend of Zelda I play it with my NES, if I want to play Ocarina of Time I play it with N64 or with GameCube and if I feel like Twilight Princess would be my pick I start my GameCube.
First off, not all of us have all of those consoles in working order anymore. My NES in my parents' garage is completely dead and probably has a wasp's nest. My N64 was never really my N64 and was reclaimed by its rightful owner years ago, despite a bunch of the games belonging to me. My gamecube never sees any use because the Wii plays Gamecube games, and as for Dolphin...

izjFKEqlE51mg.png

This is how Super Mario Galaxy looks when I play it. :D

The original consoles won't work forever though. :/

Lissar

Reluctant Member

I love them. While it's nice to be able to play them in the traditional way, I can't always have my old machines with me. If I go on a long trip and get the desire to play one of my games, I don't have to worry about waiting for it. I can have my whole collection right there.

Davedough

I hate my Wii.... It sits and collects dust, completely unused. Why do I feel intrigued to install Dolphin?

Edit: Sidenote - I think I need to find a slut with a controller.

Sadetar

First off, not all of us have all of those consoles in working order anymore. My NES in my parents' garage is completely dead and probably has a wasp's nest. My N64 was never really my N64 and was reclaimed by its rightful owner years ago, despite a bunch of the games belonging to me. My gamecube never sees any use because the Wii plays Gamecube games, and as for Dolphin...

izjFKEqlE51mg.png

This is how Super Mario Galaxy looks when I play it. :D
Sad, but true I am afraid.

Also I need to admit, that it looks sweet. Nearly as sweet as Lissar tastes.

The original consoles won't work forever though. :/
I know. I wait in horror when the sad day comes that my NES decides it doesn't love me anymore.

I love them. While it's nice to be able to play them in the traditional way, I can't always have my old machines with me. If I go on a long trip and get the desire to play one of my games, I don't have to worry about waiting for it. I can have my whole collection right there.
Ok, this I very well understand. An urgent need is an urgent need and it doesn't ask place and time.

Sadetar

Probably doesn't help the fact that Lissar rejected you, huh? Poor thing.
It doesn't. *sob sob* I would need some comfort food to my sorrows at the moment.

When that happens, I have soup. It is very filling, very flavourful but mostly water and therefore not full of too many calories.
I actually keep that in mind. Even though usually when I have this feeling I just get a glass of water and go to bed, cause it is traditionally way over midnight when it happens. Good tip though. May be handy in the future. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I love my Wii :D Tons of great games on it.
The Saga of Hawkian's Wii

Hawkian: Oh boy! A brand new Wii! This is so much fun!
Wii: I love you Hawkian! Let us play amongst the stars forever!
Hawkian: Here, enjoy Warioware Smooth Moves! And Super Paper Mario! And here, let us waste innumerable hours playing Smash Bros Brawl!
Wii: These are very grand times indeed Hawkian! And what's this! Your family got you Rock Band for your birthday!
Hawkian: Golly! I can't wait! Come family, let us all begin to rock!
Wii: You guys are so good at this! Yeah! Awesome solo! Hawk, get your nephews to dance in front of the TV! Here, I'll play Enter Sandman and they can headbang! It will be adorable!
Hawkian: Wow, what a great idea! EEEEEXXXXXIIITTT LIGHT, ENNNTTEEERRR NIIIII-- crrrrazzzzcrkCRASHbrrrrrt.
*4-year-old nephew has stepped on the drum controller cord. Wii has tumbled 5 five from the tv shelf to the tile floor*
Hawkian: OH GOD NO! Speak to me, Wii! Speak to me!
*Wii turns back on*
Hawkian: Yes! YES! Now just eject your disc...
Wii: grrrrrCRUNCHCRUNCHRUNCHCRUMBLEbzzzzzzzzt
Hawkian: No... please...
Wii: CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH rumble I AM ERROR I AM ERROR
Hawkian (crying): You no longer have a working disc drive... you can no longer play games... I am so sorry, old friend... it is time for us to part ways.
*Hawkian places wii ceremoniously into his closet*

ONE YEAR PASSES...
Hawkian: Wait a minute, all I need to enable homebrew is an SD card and an external harddrive...? o_O
NeoGAF: We have the technology. We can rebuild him. We can make him better, faster, more convenient.
*Hawkian spends about an hour and a half total on setting up homebrew and using his parents' Wii to rip all his games to the hard drive*
Hawkian: Well that was easy.
*Wii reboots for the first time in over a year*
Wii: Good evening, Master Hawkian. It is lovely to see you again. Would you like me to display all of your games in a rotating 3D menu to be chosen from at your leisure?
Hawkian: HELL YES!

And so it goes until this very day.

THE END

Davedough

Hawkian: Oh boy! A brand new Wii! This is so much fun!
Wii: I love you Hawkian! Let us play amongst the stars forever!
Hawkian: Here, enjoy Warioware Smooth Moves! And Super Paper Mario! And here, let us waste innumerable hours playing Smash Bros Brawl!
Wii: These are very grand times indeed Hawkian! And what's this! Your family got you Rock Band for your birthday!
Hawkian: Golly! I can't wait! Come family, let us all begin to rock!
Wii: You guys are so good at this! Yeah! Awesome solo! Hawk, get your nephews to dance in front of the TV! Here, I'll play Enter Sandman and they can headbang! It will be adorable!
Hawkian: Wow, what a great idea! EEEEEXXXXXIIITTT LIGHT, ENNNTTEEERRR NIIIII-- crrrrazzzzcrkCRASHbrrrrrt.
*4-year-old nephew has stepped on the drum controller cord. Wii has tumbled 5 five from the tv shelf to the tile floor*
Hawkian: OH GOD NO! Speak to me, Wii! Speak to me!
*Wii turns back on*
Hawkian: Yes! YES! Now just eject your disc...
Wii: grrrrrCRUNCHCRUNCHRUNCHCRUMBLEbzzzzzzzzt
Hawkian: No... please...
Wii: CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH rumble I AM ERROR I AM ERROR
Hawkian (crying): You no longer have a working disc drive... you can no longer play games... I am so sorry, old friend... it is time for us to part ways.
*Hawkian places wii ceremoniously into his closet*

ONE YEAR PASSES...
Hawkian: Wait a minute, all I need to enable homebrew is an SD card and an external harddrive...? o_O
NeoGAF: We have the technology. We can rebuild him. We can make him better, faster, more convenient.
*Hawkian spends about an hour and a half total on setting up homebrew and using his parents' Wii to rip all his games to the hard drive*
Wii: Good evening, Master Hawkian. It is lovely to see you again. Would you like me to display all of your games in a rotating 3D menu to be chosen from at your leisure?

THE END

That is exactly as my Wii is, only without the breaking part. Its homebrewed and I still dont like it.

But, sell me on the Dolphin... why would I like Dolphin?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'll see what kind of rates I can get on Ryanair and I'll come cook for you. Poor broken heart. That Lissar sure is mean.

I keep trying to be nice ;.;

At first I thought the worst :O But then it ended on a positive note :D

I have homebrew, but it's entirely for playing US/EU games. *shakes fist at region lock*

That is exactly as my Wii is, only without the breaking part. Its homebrewed and I still dont like it.

But, sell me on the Dolphin... why would I like Dolphin?

What exactly IS it that you don't like about the Wii? Just haven't found any games that suit you?

ONE YEAR PASSES...

THE END

Wii homebrew has been pretty great. Game installs on a USB hard drive is an optimal solution for lengthening the life of a system. In addition, I had fun playing with the modified SSBB characters, and until I got my WD Live, my Wii was the go to box for when I wanted to show videos at my friend's house.

Nintendo should learn when to pick fights with modders and when to hire them.

Sadetar

Insert awesome story
That was very touching indeed.

I am actually kind of jealous at the moment. Especially about the "Super Paper Mario! And here, let us waste innumerable hours playing Smash Bros Brawl!" -part. I loved "Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door" and "Super Smash Bros. Melee". I can only imagine how awesome those were.

I'll see what kind of rates I can get on Ryanair and I'll come cook for you. Poor broken heart. That Lissar sure is mean.
I know... Can you believe it, that she actually rates her boyfriend over me?

...I don't know will I ever manage to overcome that harsh fact.

And your cookings would surely be highly appreciated.

That was very touching indeed.

I am actually kind of jealous at the moment. Especially about the "Super Paper Mario! And here, let us waste innumerable hours playing Smash Bros Brawl!" -part. I loved "Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door" and "Super Smash Bros. Melee". I can only imagine how awesome those were.

SPM was pretty awesome, but if you love the Paper Mario series, you'll hate this. The whole thing is an exercise in making fun of the player, occasionally in very tedious ways.

I'm happy that it made it to meme status on the Internet at one point, though. :)

Davedough

Um, you won't. Is your computer just like ridiculously powerful?

Yes. Its a monster. I throw new games at it, trying to break its benchmark and it calls me a pansy. In all seriousness, I built it less than 6 months ago with the sole purpose of opening a wormhole to the parallel universe. It is a thing of beauty.

What exactly IS it that you don't like about the Wii? Just haven't found any games that suit you?

I find their games (and admittedly, I haven't tried many outside of the major titles) to be extremely lacking in the fun department. I think their controls are asinine and the entire thing is a gimmick, when they should have been competing head on with bleeding edge stuff like Microsoft and Sony.

I know... Can you believe it, that she actually rates her boyfriend over me?

...I don't know will I ever manage to overcome that harsh fact.

And your cookings would surely be highly appreciated.

I am a very good cook. =)

Sadetar

Yes. Its a monster. I throw new games at it, trying to break its benchmark and it calls me a pansy. In all seriousness, I built it less than 6 months ago with the sole purpose of opening a wormhole to the parallel universe. It is a thing of beauty.
I am a monster too. Even if my sole purpose most likely isn't opening a wormhole to the paraller universe, which is of course very saddening.

I am a very good cook. =)
That is good to know and always highly appreciated what comes to people in general.

I like you even more after knowing that actually.

I am also luckily quite decent cook myself, even if my siblings, who both are professional cooks, still manage to be a bit better than I am at some things what comes to cooking.

SPM was pretty awesome, but if you love the Paper Mario series, you'll hate this. The whole thing is an exercise in making fun of the player, occasionally in very tedious ways.

I'm happy that it made it to meme status on the Internet at one point, though. :)
Now I feel like a total noob. I have totally managed to miss the said meme. :(

I find their games (and admittedly, I haven't tried many outside of the major titles) to be extremely lacking in the fun department. I think their controls are asinine and the entire thing is a gimmick, when they should have been competing head on with bleeding edge stuff like Microsoft and Sony.

Super Mario Galaxy...lacking in fun department...

Erm. I'll just...I'm gonna go.

Davedough

Super Mario Galaxy...lacking in fun department...

Erm. I'll just...I'm gonna go.

I cant lie. I had fun with SMG for about the first 50 stars. Then it just became...... tedious and repetitive. SMG2 felt like more of the same with not enough differentiating itself from the first. I own both because my wife loved them.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Wii games that I've enjoyed:

Xenoblade
The Last Story
Tales of Graces
Crystal Bearers
Muramasa
My Sims series (hush, you)
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes (even though I haven't finished it, shut up)

Now I feel like a total noob. I have totally managed to miss the said meme. :(

SuperPaperMario-MessageBoards.jpg

For a year or so, whenever somebody would complain about how bad a game that hadn't yet come out is (or a game that they made clear they haven't played, generally because of earlier iterations of the series), this was practically auto-posted.

The background is that one of the characters you fight is an internet nerd monster. You defeat him (in part) by playing as the (computer-side) girl character in a Japanese style dating video game. In the above image, you're being tested to see if you're one of his kind (you're supposed to answer "True" to the question) so that you can sneak into his lair.

Sadetar

SuperPaperMario-MessageBoards.jpg

For a year or so, whenever somebody would complain about how bad a game that hadn't yet come out is (or a game that they made clear they haven't played, generally because of earlier iterations of the series), this was practically auto-posted.

The background is that one of the characters you fight is an internet nerd monster. You defeat him (in part) by playing as the (computer-side) girl character in a Japanese style dating video game. In the above image, you're being tested to see if you're one of his kind (you're supposed to answer "True" to the question) so that you can sneak into his lair.
Oh my gods. I think I love that game already, even if I haven't never played it. ;P

Oh my gods. I think I love that game already, even if I haven't never played it. ;P

It's for very, very particular tastes. There's a point in the game where you literally have to run in a treadmill for like five (or ten, possibly more, if you don't figure out the secret) literal minutes straight. The humour in the game is VERY meta.

It is for my particular tastes. But I completely understand why there is a ton of hate for it.

Sadetar

It's for very, very particular tastes. There's a point in the game where you literally have to run in a treadmill for like five (or ten, possibly more, if you don't figure out the secret) literal minutes straight. The humour in the game is VERY meta.

It is for my particular tastes. But I completely understand why there is a ton of hate for it.
Well, it seems to hit my pleasure centre with its humour if I base that to the information what I have about it.

noah111

Still Alive
So I came to a revelation... while Sade has a nip-slip going on in her portrait, Dave apparently has NO NIPPLES?? How is such a thing possible? We've all seen those giant hairy pepperoni slices.

Ahh those were the days lemme tell ya.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Have Xenoblade and TLS been Englishized yet?

They have indeed! Xenoblade is coming out next month in the US. I BELIEVE you can only order it from Gamestop or the Nintendo website though (I'm not sure as I already have two copies and decided I really couldn't put down money on a third. If you want it you really should pre-order it and it IS WORTH IT trust me.) If you want to know more about the US release of TLS I must refer you to our very own HP :D

edit: There are no nipples anywhere! You can just write that into the world. No nipples.

Davedough

So I came to a revelation... while Sade has a nip-slip going on in her portrait, Dave apparently has NO NIPPLES?? How is such a thing possible? We've all seen those giant hairy pepperoni slices.

GA8NT.jpg

I'm ok with all of that. I'd just like to know what pinkomarx is insinuating with his hand motions.

Just what we need: a gif of Dave licking his hairy nipple :p

I am so happy I can oblige.

Edit: You know what cracks me up most about that? How stoic SA is throught the entire gif.

Sadetar

...I am suddenly somewhat happy I haven't used my cam while Sentry has been around... ;P

That is quite priceless though.

I am not even sure who have actually seen me in there. At least Clearacell and Doomsomething. And yes, I am utterly bad with names.

But you little bastards are online on really bad times. Perhaps I manage to be there this weekend at the same time most people seem to be online. :3

Davedough

...I am suddenly somewhat happy I haven't used my cam while Sentry has been around... ;P

That is quite priceless though.

I am not even sure who have actually seen me in there. At least Clearacell and Doomsomething. And yes, I am utterly bad with names.

But you little bastards are online on really bad times. Perhaps I manage to be there this weekend at the same time most people seem to be online. :3

Truth be told, the room never gets that packed anymore. That was when it was still new and fresh. Anymore, there are a couple people live and some other people there talking, or everyone is over in IRC.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Truth be told, the room never gets that packed anymore. That was when it was still new and fresh. Anymore, there are a couple people live and some other people there talking, or everyone is over in IRC.

Sometimes there are still a ton of people that go, but personally I don't like to go too often because it cuts into my prime working hours (that being after 6pm when my brain actually starts to function at a normal level.)

Sadetar

Well, I don't mind if there is only few people, as long as I am not there totally forever alone. It is actually nicer to talk, if there isn't that many people and you can actually concentrade on something that they actually say.

Also my accent might be to some people quite hard to follow so if you keep that in mind, less is better.

In UK and US you have a saying "the more, the merrier". But I am a heathen Finn and in here the saying is quite much the opposite. If I would freely translate it, it would go perhaps like "the feast improve, when the people abate".

Davedough

Well, I don't mind if there is only few people, as long as I am not there totally forever alone. It is actually nicer to talk, if there isn't that many people and you can actually concentrade on something that they actually say.

Also my accent might be to some people quite hard to follow so if you keep that in mind, less is better.

In UK and US you have a saying "the more, the merrier". But I am a heathen Finn and in here the saying is quite much the opposite. If I would freely translate it, it would go perhaps like "the feast improve, when the people abate".

Then I'll just have to figure out your strange time zone and be sure to be in the room so I can at least keep you company for a short period of time. Problem is, by the time I'm able, you've long since gone to sleep.

Sadetar

Then I'll just have to figure out your strange time zone and be sure to be in the room so I can at least keep you company for a short period of time. Problem is, by the time I'm able, you've long since gone to sleep.
Don't worry. I am somewhat famous on failing to go to sleep so I am most likely online when I should have been long gone to bed. The problem is, that on those times I am usually just out of the shower and don't feel like using the cam. ;P But if you want to entertain me, you can be online after I am home from work and when I actually have some decent clothes on. :D

"Too many cooks spoil the broth" is the equivalent English phrase.
We have quite similar in here too. "Too many spoons in the same soup". I still think it is somewhat different comparing to "the more, the merrier". But it might be just me and my bad understanding in the nature of the language itself.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
"Too many cooks spoil the broth" is the equivalent English phrase.

I would say that this means too many people trying to do their own thing on something will make it end up a complete mess.

I like that Finnish phrase. Are you guys a country of introverts? :D I am myself and much prefer smaller, more intimate groups for conversation.

Davedough

I would say that this means too many people trying to do their own thing on something will make it end up a complete mess.

I like that Finnish phrase. Are you guys a country of introverts? :D I am myself and much prefer smaller, more intimate groups for conversation.
And small slave cells serving as your personal DJ

Sadetar

Don't worry no one remembers the part after Doom.
I don't care are you only trying to make me feel better, but it is working none the less. ^_____^

At least I remembered the start. Right?

I also thought that phrase was referring to little bit different things. Good I am not the only one, even if it an adorable saying all in all.

Hahah. Well, the general stereotype of a Finn is a silent alcholic introvert. I am generally not a one though, but I am special like that. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom