• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadbelly

Banned
It's weird, I always think of myself as a quiet person, but when I actually think about how I act around friends it's just like...yeah, no. I can be fucking loud

I am quiet when I don't really know the people I'm with though. I dunno. It's odd. I'm an almost entirely different person around people I know.

This is shyness right?

I was quite a shy kid growing up and I was exactly like that. I sort of grew out of it though.

It still affects me in little ways. Being the centre of attention feels weird to me. I mean like surprise birthday parties, that sort of thing.

Sadetar

so..... sore
Poor little kitty. Come here and I can give you a massage.

I'm still sickish.
Awwww. Also poor one. Just remember to drink and keep yourself warm.

While you do that, I am going to eat this. Omnomnomnom. ^____^

scaled.php

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

leadbelly

Banned
also

kitty all the time
kitty all the time
kitty, all the time

i can't believe it is morning and there is the whole day with the work and the existing

Yeah it does seem grammatically odd. I thought that when looking at it.

Think of it more how I might speak it rather than how it is written.

What I really meant was: You and your use of the word 'kitty' all of the time just makes me laugh. It was just a lazy way I might speak it.

You can be a benevolent queen to your loyal subjects. You can repay the kneeling with kindness. You don't HAVE to be an evil queen :p

That's just something that gradually sneaks up on you. Before you know it, your intended beneficent moves become corrupted and torturous.

http://youtu.be/t1A4NzueYNo

I present this gift to you, my loyal subjects. Listen and feel awe.

Ah, the torture begins.
Just kidding -- I have no sound card at my work computer, so sadly I don't have the opportunity to check it out

Hmmm. Real folk, I'm curious: How do you particularly deal with Jehovah's Witnesses?

I am not an appropriate target audience for them. They simply have no chance with me, as I have too much respect for religions in general to limit myself to one of them. Plus, with the infinite choice of potential deities out there, I feel I would me more likely than not to disrespect the right one(s) if I made a specific choice.

But I like casually conversing with people, and I'm so uncomfortable with the idea of rejection that I don't like doing it to others. On the other hand, I do not wish to invite them in, because they have a tendency of monopolizing time and lending towards awkwardness. One of the people I knew in high school was a JW, and he occasionally visited. It's was sort of pleasant, I guess, but it was a waste of time for him, and that made me feel a bit bad.

Are there any particular strategies that you use that don't involve fire?

Also, this has nothing to do with the recent xkcd comic. That's just coincidental timing.

edit: also, are there really zero bakers here who could lend advice for my blather yesterday? I thought "Real" meant that we do real stuff. D:

Davedough

Hrm. Have coffee yet? Or maybe morning sex? Either of those fixes most morning sadness issues.

Coffee if a vile bean that should be eradicated from the face of the planet for its unbridled raping of taste buds everywhere.

Its not sadness... all the sinus drainage I've been dealing with this week has caught up to me. My throat feels like its got knives in it and yet here I am at work. Why? Because I'm too dedicated to what I do to take a damn day off.

Coffee if a vile bean that should be eradicated from the face of the planet for its unbridled raping of taste buds everywhere.

Coffee tastes no worse than alcohol, and it has a slightly better function as a drug.

Its not sadness... all the sinus drainage I've been dealing with this week has caught up to me. My throat feels like its got knives in it and yet here I am at work. Why? Because I'm too dedicated to what I do to take a damn day off.

Ohh, crap, sorry. I forgot already that this week's theme was Real-Sic GAF. :|

Here's hoping your body shapes up and gets the ick out!

Davedough

I would just like to weigh with the opinion that morning sex is outstanding.

I didn't feel the need to comment on that. As a man who's been married 10 years and has 2 small children that like to wake up at 6am, that's something that just doesn't happen.

Davedough

Maybe I'm becoming a zombie. Is this how the apocalypse starts?

Speaking of the apocalypse... The whole Mayan calendar thing was put into perspective a couple days ago in a FB post I saw. I laughed.

It said "There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created them in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would actually be July 30th, 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago"

RawPower

Banned
Good thing I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, because my throat dilemma is presently in its nadir. I've been violently coughing up mucous all morning and throughout most of last night. It feels as though there is something lodged in my throat, constricting my breathing process. Is it yet more mucous, or something else (a tumor?), I don't know. This is beginning to worry me.

Davedough

Good thing I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, because my throat dilemma is presently in its nadir. I've been violently coughing up mucous all morning and throughout most of last night. It feels as though there is something lodged in my throat, constricting my breathing process. Is it yet more mucous, or something else (a tumor?), I don't know. This is beginning to worry me.

VZs1o.jpg

Maybe I'm becoming a zombie. Is this how the apocalypse starts?

Speaking of the apocalypse... The whole Mayan calendar thing was put into perspective a couple days ago in a FB post I saw. I laughed.

It said "There have been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar created them in 45BC. Without the extra day every 4 years, today would actually be July 30th, 2013. Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago"

(pedant time) That particular meme is mathematically inaccurate. There's actually another pic floating around today (one of those "demotivational poster within a demotivational poster" dealies) which goes over this.

However.... The Mayan calendar ends on October 12th of 4772. December 21st of 2012 is just when the next Baktun starts. It's like a new Millennium, except that it happens every three or four centuries.

I'm still taking advantage of it. Gonna mix up some cinnamon/cayenne hot chocolate, stuffed tamales, salted venison, honey-vanilla fruit compote, et al, and a bunch of folk will come over on the 22nd to play games like Bul and Patolli. I'm also going to have "Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure" on the television for people to play. I know that it's apparently terrible, but it's topical, and I like adding a little heresy to my events.

Pok-a-tok will be banned, though. I like my guests to come to the next event, so killing half of them would be unproductive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Don't think the worst man. A ton of things can cause that "something stuck in throat" feeling.

Davedough

(pedant time) That particular meme is mathematically inaccurate. There's actually another pic floating around today (one of those "demotivational poster within a demotivational poster" dealies) which goes over this.

However.... The Mayan calendar ends on October 12th of 4772. December 21st of 2012 is just when the next Baktun starts. It's like a new Millennium, except that it happens every three or four centuries.

I would like to see that if you're able to drum it up. My feeble searching has returned nothing.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hmmm. Real folk, I'm curious: How do you particularly deal with Jehovah's Witnesses?

I am not an appropriate target audience for them. They simply have no chance with me, as I have too much respect for religions in general to limit myself to one of them. Plus, with the infinite choice of potential deities out there, I feel I would me more likely than not to disrespect the right one(s) if I made a specific choice.

But I like casually conversing with people, and I'm so uncomfortable with the idea of rejection that I don't like doing it to others. On the other hand, I do not wish to invite them in, because they have a tendency of monopolizing time and lending towards awkwardness. One of the people I knew in high school was a JW, and he occasionally visited. It's was sort of pleasant, I guess, but it was a waste of time for him, and that made me feel a bit bad.

Also, this has nothing to do with the recent xkcd comic. That's just coincidental timing

This is a difficult question for me because I usually try to be polite to everyone (including people attempting to convert me.) But i have a hard time being polite to Jehovah's Witnesses due to my family history. My father's family is Jehovah's Witness, and when he decided to leave the religion he was shunned. I only ever really met one brother of his, but we rarely talked to him or his family. So it can be a little difficult for me to be polite to people if I'm thinking that they would abandon family over any religious disagreement. My best attempt at it is to say "I'm not interested" and walk away/shut the door.

Thank you my lovely Queen!!!!!

...for raping my ears :(

You're welcome :D

I would like to see that if you're able to drum it up. My feeble searching has returned nothing.

My Facebook news feed goes too quickly. I looked pretty far back and could not find it. I will pass it along if it pops up again. The gist of it had to do with the difference between sidereal years and solar years.

But the actual answer is more simple: Ignoring our calendar system entirely, the Mayan calendar happens to count up such that the 13th baktun happens 288 days from now. The fact that our system is wonky has no actual effect on this. If we had a eighty leap days every three years in our calendar, it would not change the fact that the Mayan calendar has that date turnover at that particular point.

Davedough

My Facebook news feed goes too quickly. I looked pretty far back and could not find it. I will pass it along if it pops up again. The gist of it had to do with the difference between sidereal years and solar years.

But the actual answer is more simple: Ignoring our calendar system entirely, the Mayan calendar happens to count up such that the 13th baktun happens 288 days from now. The fact that our system is wonky has no actual effect on this. If we had a eighty leap days every three years in our calendar, it would not change the fact that the Mayan calendar has that date turnover at that particular point.

Thats actually a very good point.

In looking at the Mayan calendar, it's amazing how impossibly complex that thing is, given how long ago the civilization existed.

Davedough

This is a difficult question for me because I usually try to be polite to everyone (including people attempting to convert me.) But i have a hard time being polite to Jehovah's Witnesses due to my family history. My father's family is Jehovah's Witness, and when he decided to leave the religion he was shunned. I only ever really met one brother of his, but we really talked to him or his family. So it can be a little difficult for me to be polite to people if I'm thinking that they would abandon family over any religious disagreement. My best attempt at it is to say "I'm not interested" and walk away/shut the door.

You're welcome :D

A really good friend of mine grew up in a JW family. When she started getting older and out on her own, she felt as if her faith to that denomination wasn't as strong as it once once and didn't meld with how she felt she wanted to live her life. She starting having a good time, as any single mid/late 20 something year old would, she began enjoying going out and having a few drinks (nothing extreme at all) and soon after she began dating a man who was not a JW. Her father caught wind of all this and disowned her. Blew up at her and basically said if she has no respect for the church and their values then she has no place in the family. It's been that way for 5 years now. Any attempts she's made to rectify the situation has been met with being called names and just anger in general.

A really good friend of mine grew up in a JW family. When she started getting older and out on her own, she felt as if her faith to that denomination wasn't as strong as it once once and didn't meld with how she felt she wanted to live her life. She starting having a good time, as any single mid/late 20 something year old would, she began enjoying going out and having a few drinks (nothing extreme at all) and soon after she began dating a man who was not a JW. Her father caught wind of all this and disowned her. Blew up at her and basically said if she has no respect for the church and their values then she has no place in the family. It's been that way for 5 years now. Any attempts she's made to rectify the situation has been met with being called names and just anger in general.

Wow, from the stories here, it seems like some sort of mini-Scientology.

Thats actually a very good point.

In looking at the Mayan calendar, it's amazing how impossibly complex that thing is, given how long ago the civilization existed.

Sometimes, things get simpler as a civilization progresses. It is considered a progression by most in the modern era, for instance, to have a monotheistic belief system rather than a cabal of deities all over the place, each representing a different aspect of humanity or nature.

Also epicycles versus heliocentrism. That was a fun one.

As someone who has run in evangelical circles in the past, I can assure you that the opportunity to talk about it is never considered wasted time, even if there is no chance whatsoever that the person could be converted. In the missionary's mind, there is always a chance, even if the target/prey/victim isn't aware of it. Perhaps you'll have a moment of crisis ten years from now, remember that specific conversation and turn to God. Perhaps you'll tell somebody about your conversation, and they'll convert. The missionary doesn't know, but he believes in what he is doing and he believes it is purposeful behavior, regardless of your personal level of engagement.

So, you should never feel guilty for wasting a missionary's time. You are doing him a huge favor.

Now, as to JW, specifically? While I am not opposed to conversing with door-to-door missionaries, I would never speak to someone associated with a religion engaged in specific practices designed to cow members under the authority of autocratic leadership, and JW fits that description. Much like Scientologists, JWs frequently engage in the practice of "shunning" friends and family who leave the church or reject conversion. If Scientologists started going door-to-door in our neighborhood, I'd do my best to run them off, and I do the same with JWs.

I know a JW...super nice guy! They are, in general, good people, but I know I can't talk about such a religion without seeing red. So I don't. One could argue that all religions do this to a certain degree, I suppose, but that's not really the kind of psychological tampering I'm talking about. The Watchtower's practices are far, far more egregious.

Similarly, I have no respect for missionaries who misrepresent themselves as members of a more popular faith. It is a common tactic among both LDS and JW missionaries to attempt to pass themselves off as Christians, and that simply isn't true. They have entirely unique belief structures.

edit: beaten on the Scientology comparison! Too funny

Yup, this is exactly what I'm talking about, right here. This happens all the time. They call it "disfellowshipping," but it is more or less identical to the Scientological practice of "disconnection."

Sadetar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom