• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no sound card*, so I cannot enjoy this current phase of Real-GAF. So I will further lower the signal to noise ratio by posting songs that I like. I expect that you will not**. My tastes are ... different.

Oscar Brown, Jr. - But I Was Cool

* as I have no sound card, the above-linked song has like a 10% chance of not actually being the song I think it is. But I remain optimistic.

** I mean that I expect you will not like them. I do not mean that I expect you will not post songs you like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Soooooooooo...... when can we expect a new chapter?
Not being pushy, but I just can't wait to read more :D

Well, I meant to finish chapter 1 last night, then feel asleep at 6:00PM for 14 hours.

Soooo... tonight!

Although, it looks like Lissar's out of commission so it will be lacking its illustration

Tom Bombadil is not a dick, he's God.

...oh.
Whoa hey top five!

Wait a minute, if I post like 101 times by sunday, I am guaranteed spot 4. MUAHAHAHAH

Tom Bombadil is not a dick, he's God.

...oh.

Ha. Yeah, it's hard for pretty much anyone to write a character with unlimited capabilities. There are just so many ways to wreck the situation, because the author's temptation to play chess with his characters becomes quite powerful. People no longer reach goals based on character development, and so forth.

Whoa hey top five!

It is great reason for celebration until you realize exactly what it means to be a top poster on an Internet discussion concerning real life. :O

Anyway, more music:

Another one on my list. Most of my beloved songs are geeky in some way, because that's my lifestyle. Also, much like how people want to always be in love and therefore adore love songs, I like this because I would be rather enthusiastic about my people being considered generally sexy:

Jonny McGovern - Sexy Nerd

leadbelly

Banned
I have no sound card*, so I cannot enjoy this current phase of Real-GAF. So I will further lower the signal to noise ratio by posting songs that I like. I expect that you will not**. My tastes are ... different.

Oscar Brown, Jr. - But I Was Cool

* as I have no sound card, the above-linked song has like a 10% chance of not actually being the song I think it is. But I remain optimistic.

** I mean that I expect you will not like them. I do not mean that I expect you will not post songs you like.

Do you not have onboard sound?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ha. Yeah, it's hard for pretty much anyone to write a character with unlimited capabilities. There are just so many ways to wreck the situation, because the author's temptation to play chess with his characters becomes quite powerful. People no longer reach goals based on character development, and so forth.
Though it didn't actually involve him, I love the part when the Council of Elrond considers giving him the ring.

Do you not have onboard sound?

They're workstations. The systems were made entirely for the purpose of crunching brain numbers. But, yeah, we were a little surprised that there were no sound chips on the motherboards, too. The vendor, however, is practically unrivalled in their quality and support (edit) so we don't really want to complain, especially if it becomes an issue, we can just throw ten bucks at the local Microcenter. (yeah, whoops, forgot to finish that last sentence to give it context!)

edit:

At 0:57 of this video, Godzilla does a pretty bang-on Lissar impression. Er, hopefully I didn't just accidentally link the sex parody version -- I generally hate straight parodies with just a few particular exceptions:

Lemon Demon - The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny

leadbelly

Banned
They're workstations. The systems were made entirely for the purpose of crunching brain numbers. But, yeah, we were a little surprised that there were no sound chips on the motherboards, too. The vendor, however, is practically unrivalled in their quality and support.

I see. I guess listening to music on youtube isn't exactly the top priority for such a system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
edit:

At 0:57 of this video, Godzilla does a pretty bang-on Lissar impression. Er, hopefully I didn't just accidentally link the sex parody version -- I generally hate straight parodies with just a few particular exceptions:

Lemon Demon - The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny
ax7cX.png

True.

Also, nostalgiagasm on that video. newgrounds...

I see. I guess listening to music on youtube isn't exactly the top priority for such a system.

Youtube is actually completely blocked on the firewall for this company. As I think I mentioned earlier in the week, I use a SOCKS proxy, so I'm pretty much the only one of some forty thousand employees who can access Youtube if it becomes necessary (a lot of bona fide neuroimaging research is actually uploaded there, so a reasonable business case exists).

Lissazilla.png
True.

Also, nostalgiagasm on that video. newgrounds...

Maybe Tence should go into music videos.

♫♫♫
At the first Burning Man event I went to, this song (along with some Tenacious D and The Lonely Island, both of which I'd never heard before but kind of enjoyed) was playing the morning after the signature night of the event. It's an interesting experience, devouring free waffles while hearing a chorus of men boasting about how impressive their vaginas are.

Storm Large - 8 Miles Wide

Lissar

Reluctant Member
*stares at image name edit*

Mmm hmmm. Don't think you can get away with things while I'm not really here!

I get to be on the internet for like a whole 10 minutes. Hooray!

I got woken up by a half grown bull mastiff licking my face this morning. I like dogs, but this dog is too much dog for me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I get to be on the internet for like a whole 10 minutes. Hooray!

I got woken up by a half grown bull mastiff licking my face this morning. I like dogs, but this dog is too much dog for me.
You should tell him NO! in a firm but nonthreatening voice.

If that doesn't work explain that you have teleporting cats on your side.

Please don't get angry and eat Tokyo! D:

Wooo, I just got my yearly praisal at work. I'd call it an appraisal, but it was so universally positive that I feel the term doesn't really apply. Now I'm going to get my blood drawn for tests. As this is a Health System (sort of a corporation of hospitals), every employee has to get their healthiness tested and submitted once a year. And they do the testing, so it's free. In an hour or so, I should know my weight, cholesterol levels, hemoglobin count, and so forth (unless I have to wait for lab results on some of the data).

I need to give it more of a chance. I know there is a game in there I will love. It's like bringing home a new gadget in one of those obnoxious plastic packages and a bunch of ties and crap all over it. If I can just get through the packaging without slitting my wrists on that goddamn plastic, I'm confident I'll fall for it.

Only ever made it through the first boss, last time I played. But that was before Dark Souls even came out.

RawPower

Banned
Demon's Souls just hasn't grabbed me in any meaningful way. The combat is also really frustrating, and I think a lot of the "challenge" just follows from clunky controls and slipshod design choices. The long and short of it is: it's just not my thing. However, I'm going to play it through to the end to see if I can get some enjoyment from it. I didn't like Uncharted at first (due to the incessant gun fights), but now it's one of my favorite games from this gen.

.la1n

Demon's Souls just hasn't grabbed me in any meaningful way. The combat is also really frustrating, and I think a lot of the "challenge" just follows from clunky controls and slipshod design choices. The long and short of it is: it's just not my thing. However, I'm going to play it through to the end to see if I can get some enjoyment from it. I didn't like Uncharted at first (due to the incessant gun fights), but now it's one of my favorite games from this gen.

I agree entirely that the game will not grab everyone but the combat is actually very meticulously crafted, if a mistake is made - it's your fault not the game. That is one of the major reason people loved it, it was hard but not at the expense of being cheap. It takes some mastery but once you get it you will feel like you actually achieved something.

I agree entirely that the game will not grab everyone but the combat is actually very meticulously crafted, if a mistake is made - it's your fault not the game. That is one of the major reason people loved it, it was hard but not at the expense of being cheap. It takes some mastery but once you get it you will feel like you actually achieved something.

I would like to play it one day, but by the time I get to it I'm sure they'll be on Demon Souls 32 or something... I really like the combat as well, though.

Also, according to the doctor, I have a throat infection. D:

Well, I suddenly have swollen lymph nodes, so maybe I'll join the party.

Did he tell you what you could do to get rid of the infection?

Well, I'm back. They overestimated my weight and underestimated my height, so I'm registered at the very upper edge of normal BMI. Still, I could use an excuse to lose some more weight, as I feel better when I weigh less. I'd be down there now, but my mother very frequently complains that I'm too skinny. Peer pressure is powerful.

Yeah, this was my sense as well. I didn't have any problem with it. Frankly I'm tired of every action game protagonist possessing the agility of Spider-Man.

Well, I'm back. They overestimated my weight and underestimated my height, so I'm registered at the very upper edge of normal BMI. Still, I could use an excuse to lose some more weight, as I feel better when I weigh less. I'd be down there now, but my mother very frequently complains that I'm too skinny. Peer pressure is powerful.

Technically your mother is not your peer! But yes, parental pressure can also be quite powerful no matter how old you are.

RawPower

Banned

Yeah, they gave me a prescription anti-biotic for it.

And welcome to the workout club, buddy. I lost 10 lbs over the course of a few weeks. I feel I'm making progress.

.la1n

Height / Weight if you don't mind me asking. My mother gives me shit too.

I would like to play it one day, but by the time I get to it I'm sure they'll be on Demon Souls 32 or something... I really like the combat as well, though.

Ah you can play Demons Souls anytime, even if 32 is out by then ;)

Remember not to mind it too much. If you're happy at your current weight and are healthy, then that's the important part. BMI is also pretty wonky sometimes. At 17.8 mine says I'm underweight, though I feel perfectly fine and am in decent shape/eat.

And welcome to the workout club, buddy. I lost 10 lbs over the course of a few weeks. I feel I'm making progress.

I double hoop for an hour or two most every night to television shows that I otherwise wouldn't be watching. It's great, because it's low impact and doesn't take away any of my attention while I'm doing it.

My miracle diet for the past month and this month involves boxed macaroni and cheese*, toasted whole wheat bread with butter and shredded cheddar*, and on occasion cheesy* rice. So far, I've rather solidly downsized, though I don't have any numbers, just an idea of how much belly I have in front of me.

This Saturday is my house party. I will be baking bread for the first time, and people will be cooking stuff and bringing booze and all that. I think I will come out of it okay, though.

* cheese diet is best diet

.la1n

I double hoop for an hour or two most every night to television shows that I otherwise wouldn't be watching. It's great, because it's low impact and doesn't take away any of my attention while I'm doing it.

My miracle diet for the past month and this month involves boxed macaroni and cheese*, toasted whole wheat bread with butter and shredded cheddar*, and on occasion cheesy* rice. So far, I've rather solidly downsized, though I don't have any numbers, just an idea of how much belly I have in front of me.

This Saturday is my house party. I will be baking bread for the first time, and people will be cooking stuff and bringing booze and all that. I think I will come out of it okay, though.

* cheese diet is best diet

I don't think I would survive on that diet sir.

On the note of diets and food, finally feeling better today so I think I'll get back into the cooking routine. I was on the spicy soup diet for far too long.

Ah you can play Demons Souls anytime, even if 32 is out by then ;)

Too busy to play... :p Sad that video games are daunting when I do get home after work. I just want to zone out and do nothing in particular. One day, though.

I don't think I would survive on that diet sir.

On the note of diets and food, finally feeling better today so I think I'll get back into the cooking routine. I was on the spicy soup diet for far too long.

Spicy soup will save us all!

.la1n

Too busy to play... :p Sad that video games are daunting when I do get home after work. I just want to zone out and do nothing in particular. One day, though.

Spicy soup will save us all!

Haha, apparently my addiction to gaming cannot be defeated by the corporate grind. Even though it has slowed my progression into my backlog quite substantially.

Spicy Soup + Red Pepper will save us all.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLe-YOHFgL4&feature=related

digging this.

5'8.75" normally. The lady read 5'8.25" and recorded 5'8", so maybe I was slouching
or have shrunk due to aging
. My weight was recorded as 158 lbs, though I had my work clothes on, which probably add three to four pounds.

At the end of the year, after much consecutive feasting events, I was at ~168lbs, so I've dropped a decent amount. I'm comfortable anywhere from 140lbs to 155lbs, but I like me the most in the 145-150 range.

Also bp was 102/70. Two days ago (when donating blood) it was 110/68, so this is fairly consistent. I can't wait to get my cholesterol levels. It'll be interesting, given my pretty terrible eating habits!

Ramen or noodle soup is my standard "I'm losing weight, so let's trick the body into thinking that I just had a huge meal while only giving it 200 calories of stuff" item. Hmmm.... maybe I should put in some of those vindaloo ingredients I have from that party last year.

.la1n

6" 140-145lbs here -_-

That is with the ability to eat anything under the sun and the consumption of beer on a semi-regular basis, lol.

.la1n

What, do you just have a ridiculous metabolism?

The most I ever weighed in my entire life was 155lbs and that was when I was playing soccer so muscle mass attributed to that I am sure. I can metabolize ANYTHING quickly. I am sure one day it will come back to bite me in the ass...maybe.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The most I ever weighed in my entire life was 155lbs and that was when I was playing soccer so muscle mass attributed to that I am sure. I can metabolize ANYTHING quickly. I am sure one day it will come back to bite me in the ass...maybe.
Yeah I was like you until about 19 (weighed 130 then, 5'9''). Then I stopped. :p

Davedough

Oh, if we're giving heights and weights I'll speak up with how large I am.

6'3" 220lbs of solid man meat.

Then again, I dont believe thats the first time I've said that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom