• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
They keep to themselves are arent that obnoxious. I dont have a beef with them. My worst groups are all gaming or tech related personally.

I don't think I have a problem with anyone on GAF! At least not so much that I remember them. Seems silly to get worked up about it. :eek:

And especially with Pony-GAF... I mean, I'm an adult woman in a hobby that the public still considers only suitable for young boys. Of course, women interested in things that typically men are interested don't get nearly as much crap as men who are into stuff women are into.

And especially with Pony-GAF... I mean, I'm an adult woman in a hobby that the public still considers only suitable for young boys. Of course, women interested in things that typically men are interested don't get nearly as much crap as men who are into stuff women are into.

Oh I have no problems based on what people are interested in, I have a problem with how they present it, such as obnoxious, aggressive, flippant PC/Apple/Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft fans.

jasonng

Same. I never understand why they get so much grief.

133187895247.jpg

.la1n

I am partial to cats but I'll admit puggles are quite adorable:

250px-BraxtonPuggle-edit1.jpg

Also, If I had a Corgi I would name him Ein - no matter how unoriginal it's just the only name that I could see myself using.

Jason:

tumblr_lzm2r0O2811r5g6vho1_500.png

Chuckie

Same. I never understand why they get so much grief.

I think because (and that's not only Pony-gaf) they take it to the next level. A lot of x-GAFs seem to be totally obsessed by something. Its not just liking something... no its 50 posts a day, 300 gifs etc. It seems like taking it a bit too far (and more important, too serious)

jasonng

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop, Spike Spiegal's English voice actor Steve Blum is going to be playing a major character in Legend of Korra. Super stoked for that show.

I think because (and that's not only Pony-gaf) they take it to the next level. A lot of x-GAFs seem to be totally obsessed by something. Its not just liking something... no its 50 posts a day, 300 gifs etc. It seems like taking it a bit too far (and more important, too serious)

*shrug* I haven't seen anything overboard like that since the first PonyGAF thread, and it ended up showing how bad GAF could get because nearly half the site was trolling them on a daily basis. The lowest point was having the thread title changed for trolling purposes for about a week.

PonyGAF has been calm now for a long while. The imaginary stuff that people to this day continue to claim happen - the constant gifs, people trying to get others to watch the show in unrelated threads, etc - they don't happen, and I have never seen them happen (let alone happen recently).

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Which very easily describes most of the rest of GAF. It's just when people do it with things they don't like, putting it in their face, that people are going to get annoyed. I guess I don't hate those things, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Chuckie

*shrug* I haven't seen anything overboard like that since the first PonyGAF thread, and it ended up showing how bad GAF could get because nearly half the site was trolling them on a daily basis. The lowest point was having the thread title changed for trolling purposes for about a week.

PonyGAF has been calm now for a long while. The imaginary stuff that people to this day continue to claim happen - the constant gifs, people trying to get others to watch the show in unrelated threads, etc - they don't happen, and I have never seen them happen (let alone happen recently).

They don't bother me. There is no gaf that bothers me. I am just explaining to you why I think people might give them grief.

And that's why it is good there are community threads. People can obsess all they want over whatever they want without others bothering them.
And I wasn't talking about just pony-gaf, you see it in almost all -gafs. Soshi-gaf, Victorious-gaf, Selena-gaf, Creepy-gaf, etc etc. People like something, and some of them take it a bit too serious for my taste.

Which very easily describes most of the rest of GAF. It's just when people do it with things they don't like, putting it in their face, that people are going to get annoyed. I guess I don't hate those things, so it doesn't bother me at all.

That's exactly the reason I wrote about x-GAFs in the post you quoted.

.la1n

They're an embarrassment to the NeoGAF community. Might as well have an official LoliGAF thread while we're at it.

Wait, an embarrassment to the NeoGAF community? I'm pretty sure anywhere you go on this board you will find plenty of that without bringing either of the aforementioned community threads into it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
They're an embarrassment to the NeoGAF community. Might as well have an official LoliGAF thread while we're at it.

But why an embarrassment?

That's exactly the reason I wrote about x-GAFs in the post you quoted.

It's not even just specific subgroups though. I mean, at its heart this is a game community. That kind of personality is going to be drawn here far more than in other places.

I watched that Rainbow Brite show as a kid sometimes. Care Bears was cool too. Beastly was the best on Care Bears.

Beastlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Chuckie

It's not even just specific subgroups though. I mean, at its heart this is a game community. That kind of personality is going to be drawn here far more than in other places.

Yeah probably. I am just explaining why I think some people feel the need to give them grief.
A small group takes things to the next level, and if the topic they carried away about doesn't 'fit' into what the most part of the GAF-community thinks, a part of that community will give them grief.

I don't have a problem with either of those groups. I feel bad for them that they get so much crap for it though. :/

Highly agree here. At the burn I go to, Camp Furry (whose populace consist of people who are also bronies) is pretty much the best camp in terms of people who help others. They work hard to make sure that people are comfortable and happy with gifts of fire, alcohol and caffiene, and they do all of this pretty much round the clock.

Puddles

Banned
Highly agree here. At the burn I go to, Camp Furry (whose populace consist of people who are also bronies) is pretty much the best camp in terms of people who help others. They work hard to make sure that people are comfortable and happy with gifts of fire, alcohol and caffiene, and they do all of this pretty much round the clock.

Hmm.

Perhaps I was too quick to judge them.

Nintendo fans do that, too. Haven't you visited the ... I think it's called the "Wii U Speculation Thread of Ten Million Pictures of a Train"?

Live and let live is the only way to live.

Leave them alone. Seriously.

Apu: I learned long ago Lisa, to tolerate others rather than forcing my beliefs on them. You know you can influence people without badgering them always. It's like Paul's song, "Live and Let Live."
Paul McCartney: Actually, it was "Live and Let Die."
Apu: Ehhhhh, whatever, whatever. It had a good rhythm.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

So here is a story I have about Furries. Once, long ago, I played Second Life for about a week. During that time I made all sorts of costumes, one of which was an anthropomorphized fox. I've always liked stories of anthropomorphic animals, though I'm not really into all of the Furry culture (not to my taste.) I soon learned this was a mistake, as others began hitting me with cars and screaming obscenities at me. But other people dressed in animal costumes came to help me, and were all really nice and friendly. Honestly, some of the nicest people I've met on the internet. Now it kind of upsets me when people make fun of them, since I know many of them are really nice people at heart. :/

Nintendo fans do that, too. Haven't you visited the ... I think it's called the "Wii U Speculation Thread of Ten Million Pictures of a Train"?

I find that thread much better than "Make a thread every hour about Wii U on the smallest of rumors, Predicting specs, launch games, tablet possibilities etc" that we would get (and that we still get but in vastly smaller portions) if the thread didn't exist.

Also Mountain Dew and Dorito Cupcake sounds like the worst thing i've ever heard in terms of food combinations the absolute worst.

Hmm.

Perhaps I was too quick to judge them.

I will concede one point: Groups of people who go out and do positive things are more easily tolerable/likable than the same category of people who differ only in that they sit at home and post on a message board all the time. So the ... um ... the panty-sniffer thread in the Community section of this board wherein all the members do is talk about panties and various panty-distribution methodologies would not seem quite as awesome as a group of people who happen to like sniffing panties but make it their mission to build community housing for the poor pro bono year-round.

I haven't checked to see if it exists, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom