• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey we've gotten stragglers/lurkers! You never know who ends up reading these things...actually that's kind of scary D:

edit: this seems like a great solution. You can still see that this place exists within the general off topic forum.

leadbelly

Banned
I am!

Already I've had enough bread, cheese, and sausage for an entire week!

*wants vegetables*

So you're in our time zone now. Well close to it. The time when this thread is pretty quiet. :(

Although, it hasn't really been the same as it was for a while now.

So how are you liking Germany?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So you're in our time zone now. Well close to it. The time when this thread is pretty quiet. :(

Although, it hasn't really been the same as it was for a while now.

So how are you liking Germany?

No, it hasn't been. :<

Well I was here last summer too (for a month and a half.) I like it here (except for the vegetable situation. That's my only complaint.) Haven't been anywhere so far this time. Too busy sleeping or just being tired. I'm glad I'm here for awhile so I can get over the jet-lag.

Oh yeah, while I was at the airport in Berlin there was a ground crew strike and we had to wait for our baggage. While I was waiting I ended up sitting next to a British guy who was loudly complaining on the phone. He said, "Ugh, you'd expect this in FRANCE but not GERMANY." Something about that just made me laugh.

leadbelly

Banned
No, it hasn't been. :<

Well I was here last summer too (for a month and a half.) I like it here (except for the vegetable situation. That's my only complaint.) Haven't been anywhere so far this time. Too busy sleeping or just being tired. I'm glad I'm here for awhile so I can get over the jet-lag.

Oh yeah, while I was at the airport in Berlin there was a ground crew strike and we had to wait for our baggage. While I was waiting I ended up sitting next to a British guy who was loudly complaining on the phone. He said, "Ugh, you'd expect this in FRANCE but not GERMANY." Something about that just made me laugh.

I believe there are vegetables in Germany. What is this vegetable issue you speak of? :p

That sounds like he is stereotyping to me. They say the Germans are very efficient and reliable.

I went to Germany as an exchange student. The kid in the house I stayed in stole my watch. He kept asking me if he could look at it. Anyway, the day I was to leave my watch disappeared. I knew he stole it, but he kept saying he didn't know where it is. I put it on the side before going to sleep. :/

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Irrational hatred of the French? Yup, that sounds like one of us.

Hahaha, that's why I thought it was funny. Oh, hating the French! What fun!

I believe there are vegetables in Germany. What is this vegetable issue you speak of? :p

That sounds like he is stereotyping to me. They say the Germans are very efficient and reliable.

I went to Germany as an exchange student. The kid in the house I stayed in stole my watch. He kept asking me if he could look at it. Anyway, the day I was to leave my watch disappeared. I knew he stole it, but he kept saying he didn't know where it is. I put it on the side before going to sleep. :/

Well I guess there are plenty of tomatoes and potatoes (tomatoes being my least favorite of course.) But more green vegetables would be nice. :< It's not that you can't buy them, it's just that they don't seem to use them in as many meals as I would like. D: I will go out and get some cucumbers later.

I've had sneaky people steal my things. :< For example: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was stolen from me once. My second copy was almost stolen as well, but I managed to hold onto that one!

leadbelly

Banned
I've had sneaky people steal my things. :< For example: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past was stolen from me once. My second copy was almost stolen as well, but I managed to hold onto that one!

Yeah. Nothing I could do really because it was on the day I had to leave. You can't hang around when you have to catch a flight.

I was around 11 years old at the time. I was actually in a kids orchestra and we went to Germany to play. We were all put up in various households on like an exchange student type programme.

I stopped playing once I reached high school. My mum wanted me to be a musician, but as a kid I just wanted to play out with all the other kids. I hated it. I did music theory and everything. I think that was the worst part for me. Having to do music theory is kind of like having to do school homework. :/

Chuckie

one of us. one of us.

One of us is crying
One of us is lying
In her lonely bed
Staring at the ceiling
Wishing she was somewhere else instead
One of us is lonely
One of us is only
Waiting for a call
Sorry for herself, feeling stupid feeling small
Wishing she had never left at all

Lissar

Reluctant Member
People being confused is going to be a theme, isn't it? :<

One of us? Isn't Australia's time zone closer to Japan? :p

I'm reading this book on translation (yes, I read books on translation...) where he was saying the best kind of translation are the ones that make you feel like you're reading it in the original language. That to do otherwise is to commit ethnocentric violence. In other words, write it so that it sounds like a foreigner speaking English. Yes. You should translate books in an accent!

Or they write everything in Katakana, which honestly is worse.

People being confused is going to be a theme, isn't it? :<

One of us? Isn't Australia's time zone closer to Japan? :p

I'm reading this book on translation (yes, I read books on translation...) where he was saying the best kind of translation are the ones that make you feel like you're reading it in the original language. That to do otherwise is to commit ethnocentric violence. In other words, write it so that it sounds like a foreigner speaking English. Yes. You should translate books in an accent!

Well yes, its about the same as Japan, but there is a point were only me and the Europeans are awake. You are now in that zone.

lol

You're sort of 'one of us' shan. :p

You're one of us in the sense that you're 8-10 hours ahead of us. It just so happens we are on when you are on. :D

;.;

I'm like the awkward one out.

leadbelly

Banned
Well, in Japanese they translate it as being either:

a. Rude and arrogant. (Americans!)

or

b. Stressing words in random places, bad grammar, and throwing in random Rs. As well as rude and arrogant. (Americans!)

c. Frequent use of the word 'Awesome' and 'Yeehaw!'

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Well yes, its about the same as Japan, but there is a point were only me and the Europeans are awake. You are now in that zone.

*in her own zone*

Also: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36463317&postcount=6152

Translation:

Fortune-telling Robot God-Jesus
"Does she like me? Please give me an answer!"
"NO!"

c. Frequent use of the word 'Awesome' and 'Yeehaw!'

We don't say awesome that much do we? :<

Awesome.

Actually I DO say awesome a lot.

Now there are four tabs!? D: Someone hold me! Shan!!

edit: But only at the top. Not the bottom. Everything is topsy-turvey.

I woke up once and Mr Topsy Turvy was at the bottom of my bed. I didn't own this book before. It was weird.

But we love you all the same!

I still chuckle when I see you post though... somehow the conversation in that other thread yesterday is still in my mind. Yeah I am that childish.

What? What did I miss?

EDIT: OH GOD I FORGOT ABOUT THAT D: Whhyyy did I post that....

The dancing thread? I enjoyed that thread a great deal. Well, not the litany of 'bail out' comments.

Now there are two community tabs. Which one is which~!

Just group the tabs and it makes sense.
"Gaming Community" and "Off-Topic Community"

What? What did I miss?

I think they're talking about this thread. A number of people from this group had some very interesting and entertaining posts.

Apropos of nothing: eat fruit.

Chuckie

I think they're talking about this thread. A number of people from this group had some very interesting and entertaining posts.

Apropos of nothing: eat fruit.
That is the one.

Shan said:
shaking for ages
still makes me laugh.

thanks for letting the secret out =/ lol, now my shame may be extended further.

I am glad it got out... I have been trying to contain myself and not post all kinds of awesome Shan-quotes all day :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom