• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll be fine. You can practice with us on TC (especially with HP!)
Ooh, that's a good idea.
Clear is sitting with a cute girl at Starbucks

I am totally not creeping on her probably

VpXPN.png

Puddles

Banned
I've been so much more productive lately. Exercising every day, taking at least an hour a day to study CSS, Java or PHP, writing, tailoring resumes to specific jobs and writing better cover letters. Need to keep this up.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
I got stuck offshore where I work because of bad weather and the chopper couldn't make it through the dust storm. At least I was on a rig with food and a place to sleep. Some of my coworkers were stuck on the work platforms with literally no bathroom, no place to sleep, and boats had to throw food to them from far away because they couldn't dock due to the heavy waves. Shit's crazy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, I do enjoy FFXIII... but... what PC games are you looking to play?
I do want to get through FFXIII because for some reason XIII-2 really appeals to me.

PC Games... well, my backlog is fucking absurd, but I'm in the middle of:

Skyrim... over 100 hours already, 1/4 of the main quest done :p
Saints Row the 3rd: 85% done
Shank: Been making slow progress in it for a year on Hard (never played Normal. Hard means no checkpoints) :p

I'm less far into:
Dragon Age: Origins
Hitman: Blood Money
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Trine

Then there's always Battlefield 3... but not in the mood for all that

NG2 is poo poo butter.
Wait huh? It's a lot of fun so far.

My backlog became too intimidating. It was impossible to choose what to play...so I've just taken everything from the systems I actively play - PSP, NDS (GBA), PS3, Steam, iPad - thrown them into a randomizer and pasted them into an excel file with all the cells painted black so I can't see what's ahead.

It's been a lot of fun so far! I finished VVVVVV just the other day which I don't think would have ever made it to the top of my backlog otherwise...and it was such a blast. Now I'm working on Cities in Motion, which is fun but obtuse and runs poorly, and Toki Tori...which is surprisingly fun! And it never would have made it otherwise.

I'm hoping to be able to add the next one into my play rotation very soon...Tactics Ogre: LUCT :D But I'm also juggling Neuroshima Hex and Virtual City on the iPad, so it will probably be a few days...so far so good though. The choices available were making gaming not fun. I've learned my lesson, my playing needs to outpace my buying from now on...yes, even during Steam sales. Especially during Steam sales, in fact.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I do want to get through FFXIII because for some reason XIII-2 really appeals to me.

PC Games... well, my backlog is fucking absurd, but I'm in the middle of:

Skyrim... over 100 hours already, 1/4 of the main quest done :p
Saints Row the 3rd: 85% done
Shank: Been making slow progress in it for a year on Hard (never played Normal. Hard means no checkpoints) :p

I'm less far into:
Dragon Age: Origins
Hitman: Blood Money
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Trine

Then there's always Battlefield 3... but not in the mood for all that

Wait huh? It's a lot of fun so far.

I didn't enjoy FFXIII-2 as much as the first, myself :x But it seems every one else is enjoying it.

Main quest in Skyrim is pretty quick and easy to complete, so if you want to do that I say you should.

And it's too bad Trine doesn't have online co-op! I'm in the middle of that one too but I want to play with others :/

Acid08

Banned
I wish I had more time and money for games :/. I still want to play Skyrim. The only game I'm playing right now is FFXIII and I'm only a couple hours in.

Otherwise I'm just working through Evangelion which is great so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I want to complete the main quest in Skyrim but there's so much I want to do first (beating the main quest will be the end for me)...

I know who I wanna marry, but I need to do some dumb errands for the Jarl before she'll ask if I wanna, then I need to do some quests in another town to buy the house I want us to move into. Plus I have to complete the Dark Brotherhood questline, I'm loving it. So who knows :p

Hmmmmmmmmmrr. I've gotten every star in SMG2 twice already I believe but I'm kind of leaning toward that, it's just so damn fun and on Dolphin it is glorious.

Maybe I'll grab the cables and hook FFXIII up out here (usually I play it on a 103'' 1080p projected screen) so I can keep talking to you lovely folks.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I want to complete the main quest in Skyrim but there's so much I want to do first (beating the main quest will be the end for me)...

I know who I wanna marry, but I need to do some dumb errands for the Jarl before she'll ask if I wanna, then I need to do some quests in another town to buy the house I want us to move into. Plus I have to complete the Dark Brotherhood questline, I'm loving it. So who knows :p

Hmmmmmmmmmrr. I've gotten every star in SMG2 twice already I believe but I'm kind of leaning toward that, it's just so damn fun and on Dolphin it is glorious.

Maybe I'll grab the cables and hook FFXIII up out here (usually I play it on a 103'' 1080p projected screen) so I can keep talking to you lovely folks.

I can understand not wanting to beat the main quest until the end. It's a bit bizarre to beat it in the middle of the game, since not much changes if you do. Occasionally you hear a "You're the hero!" But dragons are still attacking you for some reason :<

Play FFXIII and give us a running commentary!

Acid08

Banned
I can understand not wanting to beat the main quest until the end. It's a bit bizarre to beat it in the middle of the game, since not much changes if you do. Occasionally you hear a "You're the hero!" But dragons are still attacking you for some reason :<

Play FFXIII and give us a running commentary!

I'll give my thoughts on it so far.

Ooooh this game is pretty.
Combat seems fun
Jump circles, why?
Little Chocobo ^_^
Why is everything a corridor so far?

That's basically all I got right now. Excited to keep playing it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I thought February was letter month, not stick figure month.

*sets trends doesn't follow them*

I'll give my thoughts on it so far.

Ooooh this game is pretty.
Combat seems fun
Jump circles, why?
Little Chocobo ^_^
Why is everything a corridor so far?

That's basically all I got right now. Excited to keep playing it.

Corridors don't bother me actually. It's the lack of backtracking that bothers me (regardless of how much it makes sense to the story.)

Battle system is fun, and I like the characters and story elements if not the implementation.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, it's like, I want to go back and do something... but then the chapter ends and it's like, you can't go back! HAHA.
Oh, huh. I'll remember that.

I, unlike shallow pools of water, do not require towns. Towns make me always feel as though I'm missing something, even when I take more time than I find enjoyable to explore.

In RPGs and real life.

So I was looking into ancient history, trying to put together an amusing retort to the whole backlog conversation, something like "I'm still trying to beat Space Invaders", but using the oldest non-beatable game I could find.

But holy crap! I think this game, or a really close variant of it, is the earliest computer game I can remember playing. My daddy had a TRS-80, and there was a text-based game about being a leader and managing an empire by trading resources. That's all I really remember, but when I went to a Javascript clone of the game, the use of the word "bushels" really, really spiked some memory center of my brain. I think this is really it! :D

I will do more research to see what variants of this game could have made it to this particular Radio Shack computer, but this is potentially as groundbreaking as when I rediscovered Bravestarr or when I found out that the odd triangular console with the multiple built-in controllers was called a Telstar Arcade!

So, anyway, good times. Thank you all for talking about backlogs. You've helped save my brain.

Puddles

Banned
wait, people ...like...backtracking?

I like exploring in RPGs. If the game doesn't feel like a believable world, that's an issue for me.

Too much backtracking or too much direction-less exploring is no good either. My favorite RPGs strike a good balance.

I do think I'd rather have all corridors than big worlds that are completely empty (Mass Effect).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
So I was looking into ancient history, trying to put together an amusing retort to the whole backlog conversation, something like "I'm still trying to beat Space Invaders", but using the oldest non-beatable game I could find.

But holy crap! I think this game, or a really close variant of it, is the earliest computer game I can remember playing. My daddy had a TRS-80, and there was a text-based game about being a leader and managing an empire by trading resources. That's all I really remember, but when I went to a Javascript clone of the game, the use of the word "bushels" really, really spiked some memory center of my brain. I think this is really it! :D

I will do more research to see what variants of this game could have made it to this particular Radio Shack computer, but this is potentially as groundbreaking as when I rediscovered Bravestarr or when I found out that the odd triangular console with the multiple built-in controllers was called a Telstar Arcade!

So, anyway, good times. Thank you all for talking about backlogs. You've helped save my brain.

My oldest incomplete save is from Wild Arms back in 1997.

Will I ever get back to that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom