• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I heard there's a site that converts emulated ROMs of SNES games to actual cartridges and sells them. Is this true? Or legal?

I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds seriously illegal. I mean distributing ROMs is illegal already, selling them just makes it worse.

I heard there's a site that converts emulated ROMs of SNES games to actual cartridges and sells them. Is this true? Or legal?

I'm sure it exists (that's why GBA had such a problem with bootlegs) but it's definitely not legal.

Unless you're doing it for your own game made on SNES hardware or something like those guys that made Halo for the Atari and printed their own carts.

Davedough

You know, everyone seems to always reflect back on these classic JRPGs with great reverence, but let me start a conversation about how I want a current generation JRPG with the same formula as the old ones and I'll get shot down.

Some of my favorite old school RPGs had turn based systems, random encounters and all the other stuff ... If a JRPG dares puts those things into its game without adding some mechanics destroying gimmick these days, then they're just not trying hard enough and get shitty reviews.

I was a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy from early on. I'm so old, I begged my parents to buy me Final Fantasy 1 on the NES and I got it shortly after launch in the US. I enjoyed every one of the series I could get my hands on since. Then XII happened and Square/Enix became dead to me.

It seems that all Japanese developers for RPGs have lost their way because Western RPGs have kicked their asses. Granted, Skyrim really shows how good a Western RPG can be, but I miss the good times of an old school turn-based RPG with no cheap frills.

Final Fantasy XIII was my final straw with SE. They made a 35 hour tutorial and removed combat almost entirely for me. Final Fantasy 9 got the story right and Final Fantasy X got the battle system and level system right. Holy fuck how I loved the Sphere Grid... anyway. Outside of Lost Odyssey, why cant we get a GOOD and FUN turn based modern JRPG anymore? And if you do make one, why does it have to look like better rendered sprites again? I have modern equipment, I want to see a modern game where my characters look real. Its a ROLE playing game. Show off my hardware.

With that being said, I haven't looked at many recent JRPGs because of the LONG run of shit that has come from that side of the pond. And yes, I know I only called out SE, but I haven't seen any devs impress me in JPRGs in a long time.

/longrantpostoutofnowhere

You know, everyone seems to always reflect back on these classic JRPGs with great reverence, but let me start a conversation about how I want a current generation JRPG with the same formula as the old ones and I'll get shot down.

Some of my favorite old school RPGs had turn based systems, random encounters and all the other stuff ... If a JRPG dares puts those things into its game without adding some mechanics destroying gimmick these days, then they're just not trying hard enough and get shitty reviews.

I was a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy from early on. I'm so old, I begged my parents to buy me Final Fantasy 1 on the NES and I got it shortly after launch in the US. I enjoyed every one of the series I could get my hands on since. Then XII happened and Square/Enix became dead to me.

It seems that all Japanese developers for RPGs have lost their way because Western RPGs have kicked their asses. Granted, Skyrim really shows how good a Western RPG can be, but I miss the good times of an old school turn-based RPG with no cheap frills.

Final Fantasy XIII was my final straw with SE. They made a 35 hour tutorial and removed combat almost entirely for me. Final Fantasy 9 got the story right and Final Fantasy X got the battle system and level system right. Holy fuck how I loved the Sphere Grid... anyway. Outside of Lost Odyssey, why cant we get a GOOD and FUN turn based modern JRPG anymore? And if you do make one, why does it have to look like better rendered sprites again? I have modern equipment, I want to see a modern game where my characters look real. Its a ROLE playing game. Show off my hardware.

With that being said, I haven't looked at many recent JRPGs because of the LONG run of shit that has come from that side of the pond. And yes, I know I only called out SE, but I haven't seen any devs impress me in JPRGs in a long time.

/longrantpostoutofnowhere

Two words: Radiant Historia.

Davedough

Two words: Radiant Historia.

Is that the one where its an alternate universe WWII world and you control different types of gunners?

Edit: Nevermind. I'm thinking of something completely different.

Edit Edit: I may dust off the DS to try that one, but its just better animated sprites again. I want a modern one with realistic looking characters.

Chuckie

I want a FFIX-2

I know that absolutely makes no sense at all, and would probably be crap.... but I'd still buy it!

Davedough

I want a FFIX-2

I know that absolutely makes no sense at all, and would probably be crap.... but I'd still buy it!

It looks great, but I'm not going to be suckered again. XIII was the only Final Fantasy I've ever sold before I beat it because I just didn't care.

RawPower

Banned
I'd love another Final Fantasy in the vein of FF9. I don't care much for what came after that game.

Another series I truly miss is Mystical Ninja: Goemon. The atmosphere alone in those games makes them classics, in my book.

Chuckie

It looks great, but I'm not going to be suckered again. XIII was the only Final Fantasy I've ever sold before I beat it because I just didn't care.

Yeah I didn't care bout that (and FFXII either)... but FFIX-2 would have Vivi and Steiner again! I miss them!

Davedough

Yeah I didn't care bout that (and FFXII either)... but FFIX-2 would have Vivi and Steiner again! I miss them!

Wait wait wait.... I completely misread what you said. HELL YEAH I'd play IX-2.... I thought you were talking about 13-2....

Vivi is my favorite FF character of all time. He was so well thought out. FF9 is my favorite FF of the series and taking down FF6 is a tough job.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Dave... dear Dave... I'm afraid this is where we must part ways.

I haaaaaate turn-based. I always have! I'll put up with it if they can make the rest of the game interesting, but I won't enjoy it. Lost Odyssey especially annoyed me with it's slow, plodding battle system. I like the designs and characters, but I've only made it to the third disc (after YEARS of playing it off and on) because I cringe every time I get into battle.

The Last Story battle system I loved. It's dynamic and flowing. Especially in one on one battles, it felt like a real fight.

Yes, I'm an ARPG fan. Come at me bro(s)!

The fact that they've created quicker more dynamic battle systems is my favorite thing about JRPGs this gen.

Oh, uh... it's too bad for you they never came out with 7th Dragon in English, I bet you would have enjoyed that (aside from the super cute character designs.)

Chuckie

Wait wait wait.... I completely misread what you said. HELL YEAH I'd play IX-2.... I thought you were talking about 13-2....

Vivi is my favorite FF character of all time. He was so well thought out. FF9 is my favorite FF of the series and taking down FF6 is a tough job.

Vivi is my alltime favorite too.... so is FF9

:DOUBLE BROFIST

RawPower

Banned

I haaaaaate turn-based. I always have! I'll put up with it if they can make the rest of the game interesting, but I won't enjoy it. Lost Odyssey especially annoyed me with it's slow, plodding battle system. I like the designs and characters, but I've only made it to the third disc (after YEARS of playing it off and on) because I cringe every time I get into battle.

The Last Story battle system I loved. It's dynamic and flowing. Especially in one on one battles, it felt like a real fight.

The fact that they've created quicker more dynamic battle systems is my favorite thing about JRPGs this gen.

Oh, uh... it's too bad for you they never came out with 7th Dragon in English, I bet you would have enjoyed that (aside from the super cute character designs.)

I fully agree, although I like turn based battles SOMETIMES. It depends on the game. Like if it has a unique setting (Earthbound, for example) or is just really good in general (Chrono Trigger).

Davedough

lol... well, they say opposites attract =P.

I'm just that, the exact opposite. I cant stand action RPGs. Especially newer ones. FFXII felt like an MMO without the O. Hack, Hack, Hack until enough numbers fall off the creature. I cant help but shake that feeling with full on action RPGs. I know 12 isn't exactly ARPG, but its close. I'll even come right out and say the classic Chrono Trigger.... hated it because of its battle system.

Another thing I've grown to dislike are the ./hack-like battle systems where you control the leader and issue support commands to your party. Whats the use of even having a party if you cant do anything with them but tell them vaguely what to do? A lot of games use this similar formula.

A lot of how we play video games is in the context of the way our lives are going at the time.

I think there's a lot of games I love that, if I were at a different point in my life, I might hate. I mean, what if I discovered Mega Man X at a time where I was tired of platformers? That's one of my favorite games ever! What if I had played Nier when I didn't have much tolerance for what the game was trying to show me? I probably would have really hated it.

I liked FFXIII when I needed a cleanser from a ton of extremely high-quality games. If I had played it some other time, I doubt I would have gotten more than an hour or two in.

Davedough

A lot of how we play video games is in the context of the way our lives are going at the time.

I think there's a lot of games I love that, if I were at a different point in my life, I might hate. I mean, what if I discovered Mega Man X at a time where I was tired of platformers? That's one of my favorite games ever! What if I had played Nier when I didn't have much tolerance for what the game was trying to show me? I probably would have really hated it.

I liked FFXIII when I needed a cleanser from a ton of extremely high-quality games. If I had played it some other time, I doubt I would have gotten more than an hour or two in.

Explain Neir to me. That game always fascinates me, but I look at videos of the battle system and get turned off.

I remember being a little broke, but was looking for a cheap new game to play. Then I read that this new game called "Persona 3 FES" was not only winning awards, but it was also available at a low price.

I do not regret my decision to buy it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
lol... well, they say opposites attract =P.

I'm just that, the exact opposite. I cant stand action RPGs. Especially newer ones. FFXII felt like an MMO without the O. Hack, Hack, Hack until enough numbers fall off the creature. I cant help but shake that feeling with full on action RPGs. I know 12 isn't exactly ARPG, but its close. I'll even come right out and say the classic Chrono Trigger.... hated it because of its battle system.

Another thing I've grown to dislike are the ./hack-like battle systems where you control the leader and issue support commands to your party. Whats the use of even having a party if you cant do anything with them but tell them vaguely what to do? A lot of games use this similar formula.

XII is interesting because you have to set up your party before hand to get the best results. You can't do jack shit with them and then expect to win.

But really it was the world that most drew me into it. I love exploration.

Anyway, saying I hate turn-based is a little bit of an overreaction. I just hate slow systems. Turn-based that is quick can work for me just fine. (MegaTen games come to mind.)

Explain Neir to me. That game always fascinates me, but I look at videos of the battle system and get turned off.

Nier... I think you wouldn't enjoy playing it at all, if you dislike ARPGs. There isn't much strategy to be had there.

Davedough

XII is interesting because you have to set up your party before hand to get the best results. You can't do jack shit with them and then expect to win.

But really it was the world that most drew me into it. I love exploration.

Anyway, saying I hate turn-based is a little bit of an overreaction. I just hate slow systems. Turn-based that is quick can work for me just fine. (MegaTen games come to mind.)

Nier... I think you wouldn't enjoy playing it at all, if you dislike ARPGs. There isn't much strategy to be hand there.

See, thats the thing though. Newer Action RPGs can be good. For all intents and purposes, Kingdoms of Amalur is an ARPG, albeit from a Western dev. I'm so frothy about that game I cant see straight. If the game has enough oomf elsewhere, I can often get into it. But in RPGs, battling is what you're going to be doing most of the time unless the title begins with Xeno, so I like it to be as enjoyable to me as possible.

Chuckie

I could never get into Nier. I bought it because Gaf was constantly talking about it.

I played for like three hours

Lissar

Reluctant Member
See, thats the thing though. Newer Action RPGs can be good. For all intents and purposes, Kingdoms of Amalur is an ARPG, albeit from a Western dev. I'm so frothy about that game I cant see straight. If the game has enough oomf elsewhere, I can often get into it. But in RPGs, battling is what you're going to be doing most of the time unless the title begins with Xeno, so I like it to be as enjoyable to me as possible.

Xenoblade doesn't have that many cutscenes, really :D

Well, with Nier it is less about the battle system and more about the bosses. For all intents and purposes, it's just a hack and slash. But all the bosses have unique ways that you have to beat them. I really enjoyed that.

RawPower

Banned
Xenoblade's battle system really threw me off at first, but it grew on me and became one of my favorites. Never got to finish it because my Wii is broken.

Nier is a game made by crazy people. It will send you on quests where it mocks you for going on the quest while it is happening and you either get a small reward, no reward, the person you're helping is actually a terrible human being, or they're dead.

And that's why Nier is unique. It seriously does not give a fuck. It has a story to tell, a world to build, and will demand you play it twice (though the second quest picks up the game at the halfway point and you're beyond god-powered by then) to get the full story.

The battle system isn't great but some fights can be intense.

The music is literally the best soundtrack of any game. And will likely remain that way.

Morning FP-Gaf!

Well I think my work is done here, the PM's have dried up so I am guessing everybody who wants an 'I made an art!' avatar has one :D

:D

RPGs aren't rly my thing.

But I love the Mother and Paper Mario series'.

What? Nintendo fanboy? Me?

...ok you may have a point.

I am not kidding, by the way. Yoko Taro is actually fucking crazy.

Have you played Drakengard? One of your party members is a boy-hungry pedophile, another one eats people (and the two have a conflict because she wants to eat a child at one point because she gave up her uterus in exchange for power and thus hates children), and the main character's sister kills herself in one path when confronted with the truth in her heart that she wants to fuck her brother and stabs herself in the chest, becoming an apocalypse-unleashing demon.

Oh and one of the endings is the setup to Nier. :D

RawPower

Banned

Have you played Drakengard? One of your party members is a boy-hungry pedophile, another one eats people (and the two have a conflict because she wants to eat a child at one point because she gave up her uterus in exchange for power and thus hates children), and the main character's sister kills herself in one path when confronted with the truth in her heart that she wants to fuck her brother and stabs herself in the chest, becoming an apocalypse-unleashing demon.

Good lord. Now I HAVE to play it. XD

Davedough

lol... thats awesome. That kind of quirkiness made me really enjoy Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The characters in that game were friggen nuts.

...I feel like I now have to play these games.

I love things that make no sense.

RawPower

Banned
The most fundamentally psychotic game I've ever played was Earthbound. Especially when you get to Moonside......daaaaaayum!

I'm going to spoiler this because if you're seriously interested in Drakengard then this will be something you want to see for (and suffer for) yourself.

In the true ending, Heaven decides that the world is no longer worth saving and decides to destroy it with angelic fetus monsters (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNENqC38AWY). They eventually all join in to one being made of destruction and salt and flees to another dimension. Right when you defeat the monster, the Japanese Air force kills your character and the mixture of your dragon's blood and the enemy's blood causes the real-world apocalypse.

Acid08

Banned

lol Drankengard. I remember going to pick up my preorder, I was so excited.

Puddles

Banned
Holy shit, I just found out that I still have all the pictures on my phone after I had to factory reset it last week. This is amazing. Looks like superuser is still there as well. I just have to redownload my apps and find a new launcher (not using launcherpro again).

This is sweet. All that good stuff from the San Diego Zoo would have been terrible to lose.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Me and SA having a discussion on our preferred ways of experiencing and absorbing information.

All very fascinating. The audience is glued to their seat.

Chuckie

image.php
: I'm bored
image.php
: I can't sleep
image.php
:...
image.php
image.php
image.php