• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
aliens.png

epic.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh man, I forgot about our awesome deserts. We have some of the craziest deserts in the country. My neighbor is a very talented photographer, this is one of my favorites from his portfolio. Alvord Desert.

2WcvC.jpg

That's a good site for all you poor bastards who have never been here to flip through...they aren't all Oregon, but most of 'em are west coast.

Nice! I'll have to bookmark his site, I'm quite impressed. He's captured the Oregon in my mind that I don't usually see in most photographs.

Are you blaming me for our hours of conversation that kept us both awake? Oh no, I'm such a jerk. :p

Yes, damn you! >:|

:D

But no, honestly: A++++, would do again.

I'm just wrapping up my fourth complete re-watch of Lost, and I've come to the conclusion that S6 > S5. The pacing of the fifth season is truly terrible.

I think people criticize the show too much for not providing "answers." Some of the answers were subtle, some were hinted at, and they made it clear early on that they didn't intend to explain EVERYthing. I don't have trouble coming up with theories of my own for most of the gaps without breaking the show's world, and I love that they left room to do that. Admittedly, there are a couple even I can't come up with a reasonable explanation for...but that's not uncommon for television, not at all.

I get why people don't like it, but it's one of my favorite shows ever. Faith is such an important theme of lost; it does not surprise me at all that so many on gaf hated the way it turned out and I suspect that's a big part of it.

Really, though, anyone should watch through the end of S3. The season has some major flaws but it also has some of the best episodes. The last three eps of that season are the high point of the series. From there, opinions diverge more heavily.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The 7th Guest is on GOG!

*happy dance*

I have waited for this day. So good I had to post about it in two threads.

I can't afford the game at the moment (or play it) but soon. Soon!

I'm just wrapping up my fourth complete re-watch of Lost, and I've come to the conclusion that S6 > S5. The pacing of the fifth season is truly terrible.

I think people criticize the show too much for not providing "answers." Some of the answers were subtle, some were hinted at, and they made it clear early on that they didn't intend to explain EVERYthing. I don't have trouble coming up with theories of my own for most of the gaps without breaking the show's world, and I love that they left room to do that.

I get why people don't like it, but it's one of my favorite shows ever. Faith is such an important theme of lost; it does not surprise me at all that so many on gaf hated the way it turned out and I suspect that's a big part of it.

Really, though, anyone should watch through the end of S3. The season has some major flaws but it also has some of the best episodes. The last three eps of that season are the high point of the series. From there, opinions diverge more heavily.
The thing is, that's a cop-out. That is television-speak for "Shit happens." Some actors age, some get other projects, etc. So they create a bunch of questions that they can't answer because the realities of making a serial TV show do not jive with a long-running drama. That's fine, but saying "It was planned this way, don't look at us" is total bullshit.

Mr. Echo dying was because the actor was going in to movies. When you find out what the smoke monster actually was, his death makes no sense and loses pretty much all poignancy, despite the fact that he was being built up as important until then. Or how Walt was essentially written out of the series because the actor shot up like three feet and that sort of rapid aging did not work with LOST's timeline, despite the fact that he was being written for years and years as someone fundamentally important to the story.

And all that's fine, really. Like I said, shit happens, but making excuses for it just seems like covering one's own ass.

I never played 11th Hour...is it any good?

The 7th Guest was one of the first games that truly "WOW"'d me with its atmosphere.

The thing is, that's a cop-out. That is television-speak for "Shit happens." Some actors age, some get other projects, etc. So they create a bunch of questions that they can't answer because the realities of making a serial TV show do not jive with a long-running drama. That's fine, but saying "It was planned this way, don't look at us" is total bullshit.

Mr. Echo dying was because the actor was going in to movies. When you find out what the smoke monster actually was, his death makes no sense and loses pretty much all poignancy, despite the fact that he was being built up as important until then. Or how Walt was essentially written out of the series because the actor shot up like three feet and that sort of rapid aging did not work with LOST's timeline, despite the fact that he was being written for years and years as someone fundamentally important to the story.

And all that's fine, really. Like I said, shit happens, but making excuses for it just seems like covering one's own ass.

I can't think of a single show in the same vein of Lost that managed to answer all of the questions it brought up or followed every single character arc to its logical conclusion. To me, it is the nature of television. It may be a cop-out, but the expectations for explanations they were going to be able to provide on absolutely every single mystery were unrealistic from the get-go.

And your spoilers are perfect examples of the sorts of mysteries I love to fill in for myself, but I won't bore/annoy you guys with them. ;)

See, what'd I say. Chronic apologist.

jasonng

That depends, if you're giving your opinion in such an abrasive way of course it's not going to work out! That's all well and good on forums (not really) but in a relationship that's poor form. It's like if you said "Ernest Hemingway was a jackass with shit writing!" when you knew she loved Ernest Hemingway, rather than just saying you just don't enjoy his work all that much.

Though sometimes me and my boyfriend joke about our taste differences. Like sometimes I'll say "Yeah, FFVIII suuuuuuuucks" when I know he likes the game. And he'll say "D:< Divorce!" You just can't take it all that seriously.
And there's the rub. I'm very passionate with my hobbies and I don't hold back even though I can be thickheaded. With any other interest, I'm learning about it with her and that's what I like. All this still doesn't address that if the both of us are playing games together all the time, it gives me less incentive to take swing lessons or go rock climbing with her. We'd order in just to beat our record time in the Portal co-op missions rather than finally trying that hummus place we always keep passing. Case in point, I'm content sharing my hobby with my friends and gaf leaving me plenty of room to explore other interests with a girl.

I'm sure you and your boyfriend have a special connection, one that I might even be envious of, but I'm pretty sure it's not right for me.

I love this.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Never heard of it :O

I'm almost positive it has aged terribly. But if you enjoy puzzles, definitely worth a go.

I remember I played it when I was 11, and after you finish this puzzle on a bed you'd sudden get the sound of people sexing on it. At that tender age, all I could do was blush.

I never played 11th Hour...is it any good?

The 7th Guest was one of the first games that truly "WOW"'d me with its atmosphere.

11th Hour is... well, I didn't finish it if that tells you anything. I don't know, in that game the atmosphere was gone, and replaced with something that was pretty lifeless. I might play it again one of these days though.

Also, not sure what they're thinking with pricing them at $9.99 each. Even Myst and Riven are $5.99.

I can't think of a single show in the same vein of Lost that managed to answer all of the questions it brought up or followed every single character arc to its logical conclusion. To me, it is the nature of television.

And your spoilers are perfect examples of the sorts of mysteries I love to fill in for myself, but I won't bore/annoy you guys with them. ;)

"In the vein of Lost" is the key part of that sentence. They knew their bread and butter was keeping the audience interested in the mystery and most other shows don't keep raising mysteries that they have no hope of ever explaining and they likely had not answered themselves.

I'm not trying to attack it because it did not explain everything, I am criticizing it because the way it chose to handle not explaining everything was poor writing.

7th Guest was quite good. I think I still have it in my old leather CD booklet that I reserved for them newfangled CD-based games. As I recall, I was not so great at it.

Okay, I ordered a cheapo webcam from Amazon along with a three-pack of "Rum Runner" clear plastic collapsible flasks and a cheapish laptop to NTSC converter as a gift for a friend. So maybe I'll do that chat thingy again in a week or two. :)

ha ha, I did not realize for a second that that is a Tence original, well done man

"In the vein of Lost" is the key part of that sentence. They knew their bread and butter was keeping the audience interested in the mystery and most other shows don't keep raising mysteries that they have no hope of ever explaining and they likely had not answered themselves.

I'm not trying to attack it because it did not explain everything, I am criticizing it because the way it chose to handle not explaining everything was poor writing.

We will have to agree to disagree on this I fear, there is plenty of poor writing on Lost but I don't consider this particular area to be a good example.

11th Hour is... well, I didn't finish it if that tells you anything. I don't know, in that game the atmosphere was gone, and replaced with something that was pretty lifeless. I might play it again one of these days though.

Also, not sure what they're thinking with pricing them at $9.99 each. Even Myst and Riven are $5.99.

10 bucks apiece? =/ Get outta here. Pre-sale pricing I guess, so they can mark it down to $5 during a Steam sale and make it look like a steal.

All I remember of 7th Guest was playing it on a 3DO or CD-i or something at Sears, walking down a hallway, and seeing a ghost woman pass from room to room

I was a kid and it scared me
ohdear.png

Lissar

Reluctant Member
10 bucks apiece? =/ Get outta here. Pre-sale pricing I guess, so they can mark it down to $5 during a Steam sale and make it look like a steal.

Yeah, when I do buy it I'm going to wait until it's on sale, as much as I love the game. So it might be until next winter that I'll be able to buy it, ah well :/

All I remember of 7th Guest was playing it on a 3DO or CD-i or something at Sears, walking down a hallway, and seeing a ghost woman pass from room to room

I was a kid and it scared me
ohdear.png

It's kind of a scary game. It's also kind of humorous in that a lot of their attempt at scariness comes off pretty cheesily.

Soup cans, man.

Puddles

Banned
I just got Metal Gear Solid 4 on ebay for $12. Gonna finish it this time. I got about halfway through my old copy (which was lost in Korea).

Malvolio

This is exactly how I felt about Lost. The whole premise of the show was the mystery. The location, the characters and the dialog all hinged on furthering the mystery. When it became clear that the mystery was the bait in the old "bait and switch" I bailed. Still, there are things about the show that are very well done, but for me I felt burned by the maneuver. It was the first non-cable show in years that actually had me interested and in the end they just didn't deliver.

I'm not buying many Q1 games this year because they're all going to price collapse like crazy.

I'm one of the few people who seemingly wants to play Ninja Gaiden 3 but damned if I'm buying it on release day. That is going to be $20 come May.

RawPower

Banned
Ugh, just when I thought I was getting over my flu, I wake up with firecrackers in my nose. As for my "gaming girl" comments, I did not mean to offend anybody. I say stupid shit all the time and I usually don't realize it until AFTER I blurt it out and I'm admonished for it. It's my perennial flaw. -_-

I'm always told that confidence works, but it isn't something I can just force y'know. To be confident, you have to truly feel it inside. If I found something I was good at besides video games or telling inopportune jokes I think it would come much easier.

*shower time*

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Maybe so, but my financial situation isn't that awesome at the moment. Plus I don't see the harm in waiting till it's a bit cheaper... it's not like I am downloading some free ilegal rom.

Yeah, same with me. I wish I could support devs with buying things at full price, but I can't this year :< Otherwise I'd be all Amalur, hoooo!

I'm still considering getting the Silent Hill collection day one because I haven't played those games and that seems to be the best way to do it.

jasonng

I'm always told that confidence works, but it isn't something I can just force y'know. To be confident, you have to truly feel it inside. If I found something I was good at besides video games or telling inopportune jokes I think it would come much easier.

*shower time*
Confidence doesn't just come from an expertise. It comes from being truly comfortable with yourself and accepting your flaws for what they are. When you can do that, you stop giving a shit about your shortcomings and you focus on honing your strengths.

What's stopping you from telling yourself you're awesome? Serious question.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Confidence doesn't just come from an expertise. It comes from being truly comfortable with yourself and accepting your flaws for what they are. When you can do that, you stop giving a shit about your shortcomings and you focus on honing your strengths.

What's stopping you from telling yourself you're awesome? Serious question.

Usually people who have this problem don't have a rational reason for it. I mean, most times I'm pretty happy with myself and confident but every so often I sink into bouts of self doubt. There is no good reason for it. Often there is nothing in particular that triggers it. Just suddenly, somehow I feel like everything about myself is wrong.

For some people this is pretty much all the time :/

Davedough

Yeah, same with me. I wish I could support devs with buying things at full price, but I can't this year :< Otherwise I'd be all Amalur, hoooo!

I'm still considering getting the Silent Hill collection day one because I haven't played those games and that seems to be the best way to do it.

I haven't hidden my intentions on Kingdoms of Amalur at all. That game looks fantastic and the demo is great. I've played it 5 times through now. The trailer at the end looks incredible, I cant wait to get into it and start developing skills that are beefier and crazier. One of the things that fascinates me about the combat system is the hybrid builds it promotes. 95% of the time in RPGs, I gravitate towards the magic users and dont ever really give other classes much interest. There's a part in the trailer that shows the character throw a spell down into the ground which lifts the enemy into the air, he stands back, pulls out his bow and slices three arrows into the enemy, juggling him in the air before he hits the ground. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Holy crap I want that game soooooo friggen bad. I don't need two kidneys, right?

Chuckie

Usually people who have this problem don't have a rational reason for it. I mean, most times I'm pretty happy with myself and confident but every so often I sink into bouts of self doubt. There is no good reason for it. Often there is nothing in particular that triggers it. Just suddenly, somehow I feel like everything about myself is wrong.

I think we all have moments of self doubt, I know I do.

Except when I am making an art ofcourse, then I am king of the world.

Puddles

Banned
Ugh, just when I thought I was getting over my flu, I wake up with firecrackers in my nose. As for my "gaming girl" comments, I did not mean to offend anybody. I say stupid shit all the time and I usually don't realize it until AFTER I blurt it out and I'm admonished for it. It's my perennial flaw. -_-

*shower time*

Well, as I said in an earlier post, you just have to think of yourself as a cool person that people would like to have around. Always think of yourself that way. Close your eyes, and imagine what you would be like if you and Brad Pitt switched bodies, and he was suddenly controlling yours. Imagine that, and use that as the baseline potential for the person you can be. Truly imagine yourself as that person. Tell yourself that you are that person. Control your breathing. Feel yourself becoming that person.

If there are specific behaviors you have that you think make you "uncool", then make a list of those and do your best to eliminate them.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I haven't hidden my intentions on Kingdoms of Amalur at all. That game looks fantastic and the demo is great. I've played it 5 times through now. The trailer at the end looks incredible, I cant wait to get into it and start developing skills that are beefier and crazier. One of the things that fascinates me about the combat system is the hybrid builds it promotes. 95% of the time in RPGs, I gravitate towards the magic users and dont ever really give other classes much interest. There's a part in the trailer that shows the character throw a spell down into the ground which lifts the enemy into the air, he stands back, pulls out his bow and slices three arrows into the enemy, juggling him in the air before he hits the ground. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Holy crap I want that game soooooo friggen bad. I don't need two kidneys, right?

All I know is, the visual design really appeals to me. I'm amazed at how many people complain about it! Ohhh, it's too colorful and cartoony. Well thank goodness I say. Do we really need more epic exxxtreme real brown? No thanks.

I think we all have moments of self doubt, I know I do.

Except when I am making an art ofcourse, then I am king of the world.

Haha. When I finish a painting, I usually feel pretty awesome :D And then someone comes along and tells me they prefer the picture I spent 30 minutes on as opposed to the one I spent 30 hours on D:

jasonng

Doesn't hurt to ask and I hope that isn't the case. I refuse to believe that all self-esteem issues are unsolvable because mostly likely, they can be fixed.

Chuckie

Haha. When I finish a painting, I usually feel pretty awesome :D And then someone comes along and tells me they prefer the picture I spent 30 minutes on as opposed to the one I spent 30 hours on D:

Ouch. Well I don't have that problem, considering it takes me roughly 1 to 2 minutes to make an art.

Any way for me to see your art, which is probably a bit more actually art than mine?

As a writer, in my experience it takes about 24-48 hours for something to go from "best thing I have ever written" to "not worth the paper it is printed on."

Davedough

All I know is, the visual design really appeals to me. I'm amazed at how many people complain about it! Ohhh, it's too colorful and cartoony. Well thank goodness I say. Do we really need more epic exxxtreme real brown? No thanks.

No doubt. I thought the world was gorgeous. That pit of souls was ominous and really cool looking. I cant wait to see whatever environments you get thrown in.

RawPower

Banned
Well, as I said in an earlier post, you just have to think of yourself as a cool person that people would like to have around. Always think of yourself that way. Close your eyes, and imagine what you would be like if you and Brad Pitt switched bodies, and he was suddenly controlling yours. Imagine that, and use that as the baseline potential for the person you can be. Truly imagine yourself as that person. Tell yourself that you are that person. Control your breathing. Feel yourself becoming that person.

If there are specific behaviors you have that you think make you "uncool", then make a list of those and do your best to eliminate them.

I honestly can't think of what those behaviors are, besides what I expounded on above. It's more a matter of what I don't have rather than what I do have that makes me feel inadequate. I don't have a driver's license (no joke), a job, a degree, a plan, or money. What I do have is a surplus of social and learning disorders, depression, and inner demons.

It's not that I can't make the effort. I just don't know where to begin.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Ouch. Well I don't have that problem, considering it takes me roughly 1 to 2 minutes to make an art.

Any way for me to see your art, which is probably a bit more actually art than mine?

A lot of my stuff.

Hmm, I just realized there is a lot of my older stuff that I love that isn't on here. Need to fix that!

Also, special just for GAF, my entry for that Bayonetta redesign contest:

bayonettaaeryne.jpg

I got three votes :D

Davedough

A lot of my stuff.

Hmm, I just realized there is a lot of my older stuff that I love that isn't on here. Need to fix that!

Also, special just for GAF, my entry for that Bayonetta redesign contest:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Lissar/bayonettaaeryne.jpg[IMG]

I got three votes :D[/QUOTE]

Nice work! I can see who's going to be heading up requests for Superhero Pic March.

Puddles

Banned
I honestly can't think of what those behaviors are, besides what I expounded on above. It's more a matter of what I don't have rather than what I do have that makes me feel inadequate. I don't have a driver's license (no joke), a job, a degree, a plan, or money. What I do have is a surplus of social and learning disorders, depression, and inner demons.

Start with the driver's license. Do you at least have a learner's permit? If not, get someone to take you to your nearest DMV (or take the bus), and take that written test. Then start practicing behind the wheel with whoever will teach you.

jasonng

7768458.jpg

The first thing you can do is change your outlook. You're focusing on what you don't have. Instead, how about focusing on one aspect that you can fix and go from there? School sounds like a good start. If you don't have a high school degree, go for a G.E.D and then community college and focus on raising your gpa. Once you have enough momentum, it will become easier to tackle on other aspects.

Puddles

Banned
Courage Wolf also helps. He's the only meme that you want to emulate. Sure, all of us have our Socially Awkward Penguin moments, but in your heart you want to be Courage Wolf.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Nice work! I can see who's going to be heading up requests for Superhero Pic March.

What we really need to have is RPG month. We already posted our stats, we just need images to go with it :D I'd be totally up for that.

Also, looking at that Bayonetta picture I am (again) reminded of how it is not dynamic. I have never been good at dynamic poses, and guns especially are my downfall. I guess I could have posed her just sitting somewhere, but that wouldn't have been fun D:

RawPower

Banned
Courage the Uncowardly Wolf. Hail.

I'm working on sorting myself out as we speak, as a matter of fact. And yes, I do have a learner's permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom