• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a topic.

How do you feel about internet friendships? Are they real to you?

I'll put in my 2 cents later.

Define real.

We're living in a transitional generation where our ideas about what constitutes a friendship are in flux.

I've known someone online for six or seven years, we talk every day, we have a podcast together, I've never actually met him in person. Regardless, I still think of him as one of my best friends. Meanwhile, I don't really talk to people I used to hang out with every night and live beside simply because we don't really check in all that often.

Friendships differ from romantic relationships in that there does not necessarily need to be a physical component to them. I consider several GAFers my friends (Aeana and Volcynika are people I actually trust) and I really only know them from interactions online.

The medium with which you make friends is less important than the quality of the people of whom you call friends, I think.

Ashes

Banned
I just assume any person I meet is crazy in some way, obvious or not.

Also good morning everyone! Today I feel sad upon waking up. I miss my coworker and I have to work today.

When the tea is cold, I look to the east, and from whence the warm wind blows, thoughts fly like dreams weaved upon the weary mind's turncoat, sir, I have only my beauty sleep, and lackluster hope, help me for I have fallen overboard, the waves are consuming me, the ocean is too deep, extend me the hand of your friendship, so that I may see the shore again.

/hope you have a better day acid. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If it's not, we seem to be posting pictures of our food.

ha, well fortunately I couldn't find anything so I think it's fine.

A lot of pairing up going on in my yard today, probably was just a case of excessive flirting. There was much tweeting prior to the slam.

In other words boy birds are so crazy girl birds can barely tolerate them.

leadbelly

Banned
Why would you categorise friendship differently just because you have never met them face to face?

You still communicate with each other and form some kind of relationship. Of course it is not entirely the same thing, but is still a friendship all the same.

I just assume any person I meet is crazy in some way, obvious or not.

Also good morning everyone! Today I feel sad upon waking up. I miss my coworker and I have to work today.

:( Have some bacon today, Acid. It makes the sadness go away for a little bit.

Little mini sausages wrapped in bacon. I like those too.

Haha. Those are dates, man. Dates! Sweet-salty is the best. I would totally eat little sausages wrapped in bacon too, though.

Both. I don't discriminate.

Milk.

eQx0j.jpg

:D

Steak. Steak. Steak. Always steak.

Haha. Maybe peppercorn crusted steak and brussel sprouts?

RawPower

Banned
Define real.

We're living in a transitional generation where our ideas about what constitutes a friendship are in flux.

I've known someone online for six or seven years, we talk every day, we have a podcast together, I've never actually met him in person. Regardless, I still think of him as one of my best friends. Meanwhile, I don't really talk to people I used to hang out with every night and live beside simply because we don't really check in all that often.

Friendships differ from romantic relationships in that there does not necessarily need to be a physical component to them. I consider several GAFers my friends (Aeana and Volcynika are people I actually trust) and I really only know them from interactions online.

The medium with which you make friends is less important than the quality of the people of whom you call friends, I think.

True enough. I agree.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
How about a different debate?

How do people feel about naturalism? I'm not personally a fan of the practice, mostly because it relies on a fundamental principle that I don't necessarily agree with - that natural is better.

The reason why I bring this up is that I am finding more and more of my friends and family starting to take up the ideology or even begin seeing 'naturopaths' - which doesn't personally bother me or anything, but it's getting to the point where they are starting to encourage me to go - or to try and talk to/convince me of reasons why I should care more about naturalism.

I -don't- want to debate with them on the topic, as I occasionally get ruthless, and that's something I should save for the internet or people I don't like - not my friends and family. How should I deal with it? Should I debate with them? Am I being unreasonable about my... probably negative opinion on naturalism?

Chuckie

I like my women like I like my chocolate! Darker than me!

which is easy because I am pale as milk

How do people feel about naturalism? I'm not personally a fan of the practice, mostly because it relies on a fundamental principle that I don't necessarily agree with - that natural is better.

I dont even know what it is

Acid08

Banned
When the tea is cold, I look to the east, and from whence the warm wind blows, thoughts fly like dreams weaved upon the weary mind's turncoat, sir, I have only my beauty sleep, and lackluster hope, help me for I have fallen overboard, the waves are consuming me, the ocean is too deep, extend me the hand of your friendship, so that I may see the shore again.

/hope you have a better day acid. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Awwww that was really nice. Thank you :)

Puddles

Banned
Ok. Debate this point:

**Disclaimer: this is not as chauvinistic as it may seem. Men have many faults just as women, but its merely an observation**

Relationships - Relationships work because of one simple rule.

All women are crazy. If they find a man that has a tolerance threshold large enough to handle their amount of crazy, then the relationship works, lasts and becomes a beautiful thing. If the tolerance level of the man for her crazy cannot be met, then thats what leads to things like infidelity, divorce, abuse, masturbating alone on the couch without clearing history, etc.

You could argue that us men are just as crazy, if not more so, with our need to kill, hunt, dominate always be competing against others.

Everyone has traits that seem crazy to people who don't share them.

Acid08

Banned
:( Have some bacon today, Acid. It makes the sadness go away for a little bit.

Haha. Those are dates, man. Dates! Sweet-salty is the best. I would totally eat little sausages wrapped in bacon too, though.

eQx0j.jpg

Haha. Maybe peppercorn crusted steak and brussel sprouts?
Hmmm. I only have turkey bacon. Oh well I'll make it work :)

leadbelly

Banned

Hmmm. I would probably remove the dates and eat the bacon. meat must be wrapped in meat.

I think the ultimate for me would be sausages wrapped in bacon wrapped in steak stuffed in a duck stuffed in a chicken.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I dont even know what it is

Well, there's a philosophical term, naturalism, that means that there is nothing in the universe except the natural (ie, no unnatural or supernatural).

I am using the term in the more colloquial sense - the idea that 'natural' things (foods, medicines, etc) are better than 'unnatural' ones.

The reason why I bring this up is that I am finding more and more of my friends and family starting to take up the ideology or even begin seeing 'naturopaths' - which doesn't personally bother me or anything, but it's getting to the point where they are starting to encourage me to go - or to try and talk to/convince me of reasons why I should care more about naturalism.

I -don't- want to debate with them on the topic, as I occasionally get ruthless, and that's something I should save for the internet or people I don't like - not my friends and family. How should I deal with it? Should I debate with them? Am I being unreasonable about my... probably negative opinion on naturalism?
Anyone with an extreme opinion on anything is probably frustrating to debate.

Best way to deal with it is to just realize that their opinions or agendas don't really affect you as long as you don't let them. Don't get frustrated arguing with people you disagree with. Just disagree, make your case if you want, and move on.

I love debating and even to an extent arguing, but if I'm getting angry or frustrated, something in the conversation is wrong and that's enough reason to walk away from it.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

Well, I have less of a bone to pick with naturopathy than homeopathy, but it's not right for them to push it on you :/

Maybe just tell them why you don't feel it's right for you, but without getting judgmental about their choice in using it.

Ashes

Banned
Awwww that was really nice. Thank you :)

You are welcome good sir. Last weekend, was my father's 17th year death anniversary irrc. It's sort of a jolt to get you to wake up, and realize how lucky we are to be alive and breathing.

Go home, pop a bottle hommie, be easy.

RawPower

Banned
Well, there's a philosophical term, naturalism, that means that there is nothing in the universe except the natural (ie, no unnatural or supernatural).

I am using the term in the more colloquial sense - the idea that 'natural' things (foods, medicines, etc) are better than 'unnatural' ones.

I thought you were referring to the metaphysical ideology at first. It threw me off.

I think you're using the wrong term. Naturalism is more about saying that all there is to the universe is what we see. There is no supernatural phenomenon. Think of it as the philosophy of an atheist.

Edit: im using my phone. Typing takes a bit longer.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think you're using the wrong term. Naturalism is more about saying that all there is to the universe is what we see. There is no supernatural phenomenon. Think of it as the philosophy of an atheist.

I clarify, I know the term, it's one I actually adhere too - I just don't know what other term to use, and this is sometimes colloquially used to describe the philosophy I'm referring too.

Chuckie

Ah I see. I guess 'food-wise' there might be a core of truth to that. Companies do put too much crap in meat/food-products etcetera.

Medicine-wise I think this is bullshit. While certain herbs surely have healing powers, chemical medicins have 10000 times the healing powers. If I ever get cancer, please don't try to treat me with a south american wild turnip.

SRG01

I'm betting a lot of us are a lot paler than we should be D:

*computer tan*

Though actually I love going out in the sun, it's just that I burn rather than anything else.

At least you can burn. I get heat rashes if I'm out for too long.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Ah I see. I guess 'food-wise' there might be a core of truth to that. Companies do put too much crap in meat/food-products etcetera.

Medicine-wise I think this is bullshit. While certain herbs surely have healing powers, chemical medicins have 10000 times the healing powers. If I ever get cancer, please don't try to treat me with a south american wild turnip.

I know enough about a lot of the stuff we do to foods to know that sometimes, yeah, natural is better - and that's not something I contest or even argue with - although I don't really have too much issue with the 'unnatural' foods we have.

Medicine is an issue though.

Ashes

Banned
It's almost an anagram of my full name.

Yes my name is awesome.

And I've been sunburned a couple of times, but never really that badly. I did get heatstroke once, which was nice.

False advertising ftl. I am in real life, a super hot anime girl
drawer/artist. Except the part, where I can't really draw for shit.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
At least you can burn. I get heat rashes if I'm out for too long.

I've gotten heat rashes before too. Mostly on my legs from the socks I wear!

I know enough about a lot of the stuff we do to foods to know that sometimes, yeah, natural is better - and that's not something I contest or even argue with - although I don't really have too much issue with the 'unnatural' foods we have.

Medicine is an issue though.

I don't think natural medicine is all bad, though I think it could be dangerous to avoid taking more modern medicines that could help.

At least it's not homeopathy, let me tell you. Fuck that shit. Anything it does for you is 100% placebo.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Do you ever get strange looks from people you see on the street?

I do. I really don't like it.

I used to, but that was back when I was goth. No surprises there.

Or when I was in Japan, but those reasons were obvious.

Now I just get people saying "Those are some nice socks/boots/jacket."

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't think natural medicine is all bad, though I think it could be dangerous to avoid taking more modern medicines that could help.

At least it's not homeopathy, let me tell you. Fuck that shit. Anything it does for you is 100% placebo.

Definitely, Naturopathy (that doesn't incorporate homeopathy, some naturopaths do) is a whole bunch better than homeopathy - but there are still issues.

For example, one of my friends was telling me about how her naturopath convinced her to stop taking birth control, and now that she's gotten serious with her boyfriend, she wants to - but she's afraid of the toxins and negative side effects of birth control. So she is looking into more natural methods of BC - like tracking her cycle.

I mean, not a huge deal - and I know this friend if she had any serious issues, she would go to her doctor (in fact she went to her doctor afterward and asked about BC, and the doctor did recommend BC pills) - but for non-emergency situations, she seems to go with the naturopaths prescription. Which is usually vitamin pills.

.la1n

I get an initial slight red but it fades in a day and from then on I just get darker and darker. I spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer so I have to keep a watchful eye on myself as to not develop a king of the hill tan.

Chuckie

Do you ever get strange looks from people you see on the street?

I do. I really don't like it.

It's probably more your perception of how the look at you, then how they actually look at you.

When I have moments of insecurity it seems like people give me strange looks, yet when I am feeling like a boss, people don't.... so I kinda figured out it was just my perception.

Now I just get people saying "Those are some nice socks/boots/jacket."

Now I want to see your socks/boots/jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom