• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lissar, you are damn good at sketching people who look anatomically correct. To be honest, a good chunk of game devs/pubs could stand to learn a lot from those simple sketches.

...the guys are maybe a tad trim in the waist but I can't come up with anything else beyond that minor criticism. And that's typical in jrpgs anyway.

Chuckie

Ok, but what event triggered the protagonists to have anything worth saving, any superfluous powers or abilities that make them best suited to do so or motive?

I vote for not an effeminate long-haired Japanese guy licking a rose or sticking his tongue out.

profile_stache.jpg

According to virtually everyone at the Steampunk World's Fair last year, this somehow qualifies.

Yeah, I was surprised, too.

You know what to do Pyromancer.

Davedough

The game I've wanted to make if I ever had the skills to do so would be a party based Western style RPG based in the time when humans were just beginning to become a civilization and not just a random group of humanoids.... I hate to use the term 10,000 BC, but along those lines. We were still fighting to become the dominant mammal on the planet and had to forage, hunt and do things for ourself.

I'd figured you could have a hunter, shaman, druid, animal tamer and barbarian type classes and it could fit quite well.

But alas, I have no clue how to program and lack the patience to learn how, so it'll never come to fruition.

The game I've wanted to make if I ever had the skills to do so would be a party based Western style RPG based in the time when humans were just beginning to become a civilization and not just a random group of humanoids.... I hate to use the term 10,000 BC, but along those lines. We were still fighting to become the dominant mammal on the planet and had to forage, hunt and do things for ourself.

I'd figured you could have a hunter, shaman, druid, animal tamer and barbarian type classes and it could fit quite well.

But alas, I have no clue how to program and lack the patience to learn how, so it'll never come to fruition.

Go old school, man. PnP4life

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Lissar, you are damn good at sketching people who look anatomically correct. To be honest, a good chunk of game devs/pubs could stand to learn a lot from those simple sketches.

...the guys are maybe a tad trim in the waist but I can't come up with anything else beyond that minor criticism. And that's typical in jrpgs anyway.

Thanks :D And I can agree about the guys. I just have an easier time drawing women so at times they can go more in that direction than I would like. At least they aren't as bad as this guy.

This will be a great month actually, since I get to practice with a ton of different people :D

:D

Davedough

Go old school, man. PnP4life

ahaha... I probably could go pen and paper. I've actually sketched out a lot of how I thought the world should be, what the characters would do and interact and even sketched a basic story to fuel them on.

Edit: So if any game devs are lurking, I've got an almost fully realized game just waiting to go!
*hold back the sound of dreams shattering

No.

Iran is full of shit. They only like (and dare) to shout at Israel. They know if you fuck with Israel you probably end up pretty hurt.

Israel is trying to force the U.S. to start increasing targeted drone strikes at suspected nuclear advancement sites. Iran knows that the U.S. isn't going to do anything in an election year.

So both are stepping their game up and doing more saber-rattling.

Chuckie

Israel is trying to force the U.S. to start increasing targeted drone strikes at suspected nuclear advancement sites. Iran knows that the U.S. isn't going to do anything in an election year.

So both are stepping their game up and doing more saber-rattling.

Yeah they do like to slap their dicks at eachother. They might be secretly in love.

Davedough

lol. I feel like such a dork. I was just in the mirror posing for Lissar's avatar picture. I'm glad the door locks because I'd look like an idiot to anyone else who walked in.

Chuckie

I've never liked it.

Now everyone in the thread hates me D:

I loved it, but I can understand if you don't. It's a very peculiar sense of humour. So No Lissar.... I do not hate you... I might even love you after I see the RPG pic you made of me.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh good, I've never gotten anything but disdain for that opinion!

I think it's just because often the humor works around embarrassing situations/making people uncomfortable, and that kind of humor has just never worked for me. I just feel bad for everyone involved.

I think Seinfeld and the Simpsons kind of defined my sense of humor and ability to perceive comedic timing.

They made me realize that there could be humor in the awkwardness of bad jokes, you just have to use it right, and it takes just as much skill as making a good joke.

I think it's just because often the humor works around embarrassing situations/making people uncomfortable, and that kind of humor has just never worked for me. I just feel bad for everyone involved.

Oh man, there's a word for this. It's like a corollary of schadenfreude, except instead of taking joy at someone else's misery, you cringe at someone else's embarrassment. Like sympathetic embarrassment.

Lissar, you're a linguist, help me. D:

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I hate you. But that has little to do with Seinfeld. ;p

Ashes ;.; Whyyyyyyy

I think Seinfeld and the Simpsons kind of defined my sense of humor and ability to perceive comedic timing.

They made me realize that there could be humor in the awkwardness of bad jokes, you just have to use it right, and it takes just as much skill as making a good joke.

On the other hand, I always enjoyed The Simpsons when I was growing up. I haven't watched it much in recent years (though that's mostly because I don't watch much TV at all.) But I went out of my way to see that Neil Gaiman episode and enjoyed it quite a lot :D

Curb Your Enthusiasm would drive you crazy.

.la1n

I'm actually not a fan of medieval settings :x But I can deal with them as long as they are done in an interesting way.

I love a modern setting, actually. A while back I was thinking of different ways FF could mix things up by making a game in a world just like ours (though more colorful and less dramatic than Versus.) Here are some sketches I came up with:

My idea was that they would be college students, and their majors are their class. Each class being somewhat similar to a traditional FF class. For example White Mage here is a nursing student, Black Mage is a computer scientist. Fighter is actually a law student who boxes as a hobby. I can't remember what I had for Red Mage.

Anyway, I really like this idea. Would love to do something with it someday (even if I had to tone down the obvious FF references.)

You are extremely talented :bow:

Ashes

Banned
Linguists look at language structure, origins etc. They don't necessarily have a large vocabulary. That would be an articulate vocabulist. No, not really. :p

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh man, there's a word for this. It's like a corollary of schadenfreude, except instead of taking joy at someone else's misery, you cringe at someone else's embarrassment. Like sympathetic embarrassment.

Lissar, you're a linguist, help me. D:

I tried to find it, but I only found things relating to becoming sad at someone's success!

Surely there must be a word out there. A German one. They have words for everything.

You are extremely talented :bow:

Thank you! :D

ZeroRay

Lissar could definitely be an awesome artist for any game company if she so chose.

I'll keep you in mind if I ever start up a dev house.

Chuckie

Be back later...gonna watch Alien Ressurection with the missus (yeah I know it's a shite film...but I need to finish the anthology)

I tried to find it, but I only found things relating to becoming sad at someone's success!

Surely there must be a word out there. A German one. They have words for everything.

I remember reading about a word (I think it was Korean) for when someone is sitting beside you and you don't want to talk to them but they keep talking to you.

That word is probably awesome-sounding. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom