• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Really? I thought there was a thread. I was hoping maybe you or someone else had the link to it.

Given my social disabilities, I would drink if I could. But I couldn't even if I wanted to; stomach problems and all that.

Did someone say NYC? Right this way folks.

I'm the same way Raw. When you're around good people, it makes it easier to get out of your shell. If the LA meet up was any indication of what sort of people constitutes GAF, you should have a good time at the NYC meet up.

James gets it. Having met several GAFers over 2 years ago at Nintendo World for the Scribblenauts launch party, I can say they're good people. It's always fascinating to see what people are like in person as opposed to on the forum. In the end of the day, we all posted on a Gaming forum so it's easy to break the ice.

All I had to do was ask "Hey are from GAF?" if yes, then I would go to say "Hey I'm Jipan, the dude with the J train logo as his avatar but my real name so and so" and go from there. I have social anxiety too but it's always good to go out to socialize with people, especially people that you have something in common with because it makes it easier to break the ice.

I ended up making friends with -PXG-, jrricky, Dacvak, and several other GAF members. I talk to -PXG- every now and then on Facebook but I haven't seen him in person since that event. Took pictures, got included in a couple of gifs, so it was good. Meeting GAFers is a good social experience. So it doesn't matter if you don't want to drink; no one's forcing you to, nor to think "Well I have a disability; they're not gonna like me because of that." Who cares; nobody's gonna judge you and, I've seen your posts in the Dating-Age thread so don't sweat it.

We were just talking about the horror of con experiences last night actually D:

But you know, if could also cosplay as Bayonetta while I was at it I SO WOULD. Where could I put together a costume...

Haha, horrors depending who you are, I guess.

People say I have a really great smile, but I can't force it. :eek:

So I just have to make you smile? Alright, my goal for the day is set!

I'm thinking about starting up an indie game company (not right now, but when I get to the point when I need a job), but I'm just wondering where you'd get the starting money from. Would I just have to get a loan? 'cause I can't think of where else you'd get the money for the beginning when you don't actually have anything released. Unless you got like a surprisingly high paying part time job or something.

*business n00b*

RawPower

Banned
Did someone say NYC? Right this way folks.

James gets it. Having met several GAFers over 2 years ago at Nintendo World for the Scribblenauts launch party, I can say they're good people. It's always fascinating to see what people are like in person as opposed to on the forum. In the end of the day, we all posted on a Gaming forum so it's easy to break the ice.

All I had to do was ask "Hey are from GAF?" if yes, then I would go to say "Hey I'm Jipan, the dude with the J train logo as his avatar but my real name so and so" and go from there. I have social anxiety too but it's always good to go out to socialize with people, especially people that you have something in common with because it makes it easier to break the ice.

I ended up making friends with -PXG-, jrricky, Dacvak, and several other GAF members. I talk to -PXG- every now and then on Facebook but I haven't seen him in person since that event. Took pictures, got included in a couple of gifs, so it was good. Meeting GAFers is a good social experience. So it doesn't matter if you don't want to drink; no one's forcing you to, nor to think "Well I have a disability; they're not gonna like me because of that." Who cares; nobody's gonna judge you and, I've seen your posts in the Dating-Age thread so don't sweat it.

Thank you. I probably needed that.

I'm thinking about starting up an indie game company (not right now, but when I get to the point when I need a job), but I'm just wondering where you'd get the starting money from. Would I just have to get a loan? 'cause I can't think of where else you'd get the money for the beginning when you don't actually have anything released. Unless you got like a surprisingly high paying part time job or something.

*business n00b*

A loan would do it but you would need to have a feasible business plan to present the lender. "I want to make this game with these gameplay mechanics and this is why it will sell 10,000 copies like Braid" will not fly. First, you should look up how to create a business proposal for a software company and then do the math required for it. Your plan has to extend beyond initial releases. It needs to show how you would make money, how you would market it, how you would distribute it, who would get a cut of what is essentially the bank's money, your hiring policies, etc. That has to be committed to paper before you walk through the lender's door. Realize that even if you have capital for, say, marketing on your own, the lender will likely still want oversight because, from the moment they sign the check, it is their project and not yours.

Also I'm not sure where you live, but banks in the U.S. are super resistant to giving loans right now. And personal lenders are likely going to be very restrictive with you.

Your other option is to find angel investors. Basically people who are willing to invest in business ventures without having complete control of the project and simply want a return on the money. Silent partners without a lifetime cut, essentially. They are very, VERY difficult to obtain without a proper reputation. But if you know someone that's in that business or angel investors looking to invest in independent games, then that would be a big help.

Alternatively, just raise the capital necessary to do it on your own. Save up and pay out of pocket. You could be out a lot of money this way, though, but you're unlikely to go in to debt.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Just watched video one from the op.. Holy shit I always though davepough was British. My world is shattering around me.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I was sharing with everyone in IRC, yukata time:

kimono1.jpg

Yukata are awesome.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Baking is manly Dave, no worries.

And DAMN YOU now I want cookies.

edit: *shakes fist at SA for publishing her typo*

A loan would do it but you would need to have a feasible business plan to present the lender. "I want to make this game with these gameplay mechanics and this is why it will sell 10,000 copies like Braid" will not fly. First, you should look up how to create a business proposal for a software company and then do the math required for it. Your plan has to extend beyond initial releases. It needs to show how you would make money, how you would market it, how you would distribute it, who would get a cut of what is essentially the bank's money, your hiring policies, etc. That has to be committed to paper before you walk through the lender's door. Realize that even if you have capital for, say, marketing on your own, the lender will likely still want oversight because, from the moment they sign the check, it is their project and not yours.

Also I'm not sure where you live, but banks in the U.S. are super resistant to giving loans right now. And personal lenders are likely going to be very restrictive with you.

Your other option is to find angel investors. Basically people who are willing to invest in business ventures without having complete control of the project and simply want a return on the money. Silent partners without a lifetime cut, essentially. They are very, VERY difficult to obtain without a proper reputation. But if you know someone that's in that business or angel investors looking to invest in independent games, then that would be a big help.

Alternatively, just raise the capital necessary to do it on your own. Save up and pay out of pocket. You could be out a lot of money this way, though, but you're unlikely to go in to debt.
I see...

Thanks, I'll remember this for whenever I do actually start. And I'm in the UK, but I'm guessing that they're probably the same about loans.

*had intended to respond last night but fell asleep >_>*
poa6J.jpg

I'm not sure, but somehow a batch of chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies suddenly appeared cooling on my counter.

yes, I bake... and I'm a man.... and I have a beard

We totes did the left half yesterday too. And they're amazing.

Kccitystar

Guys, how do you go about resetting your sleeping cycle? I've been sleeping like I live on the fucking west coast the past few weeks and with school starting it's been a struggle even though hanging with you guys on IRC/TC has been great

Guys, how do you go about resetting your sleeping cycle? I've been sleeping like I live on the fucking west coast the past few weeks and with school starting it's been a struggle even though hanging with you guys on IRC/TC has been great

If I'm too far gone, I pull an all nighter and then sleep a bit earlier than I normally would on the next night.

Kccitystar

If I'm too far gone, I pull an all nighter and then sleep a bit earlier than I normally would on the next night.

Usually I do that too but as the morning approaches it's like, I get all heavy eyed and it's easy for me to drift off and just fall asleep.

To counter that what I usually do is keep myself engaged and talking to people. I also make my bed so I'm not reminded to sleep. I mean, I can also take a walk around my neighborhood but honestly, living in a bad neighborhood, I'm not going to risk my life to restore my circadian rhythm ;)

y2dvd

Usually I do that too but as the morning approaches it's like, I get all heavy eyed and it's easy for me to drift off and just fall asleep.

To counter that what I usually do is keep myself engaged and talking to people. I also make my bed so I'm not reminded to sleep. I mean, I can also take a walk around my neighborhood but honestly, living in a bad neighborhood, I'm not going to risk my life to restore my circadian rhythm ;)

I don't even bother trying to have a regular sleeping schedule. I just nap after work when I get home, wake up do whatever and play LoL until I'm tired, then lack sleep for work the next day and repeat cycle. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom