• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be awesome to have a kind of funny wedding

By which I mean I am going to play "I am a real American" as I walk down the aisle and do the Hulk Hogan ear-cupping thing

Davedough

So I was lurking other threads in OT and saw someone post with the username HiroProtagonist... then I see a James Dean avatar and I'm thinking "Wait, why would she abandon us?" ... then it hits me. That's an imposter! And now I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns and yet, I don't even know him.

I think we killed the thread with wrestling jokes.

Well, it had a good run.

So I was lurking other threads in OT and saw someone post with the username HiroProtagonist... then I see a James Dean avatar and I'm thinking "Wait, why would she abandon us?" ... then it hits me. That's an imposter! And now I hate him with the fire of a thousand suns and yet, I don't even know him.

That HiroProtagonist has been around a while.

It confused me for a while when I saw H.Pro!

Lissar

Reluctant Member

I knew of him before I knew HP. He started the Kindle thread :eek:

Well, it had a good run.

Noooooooo. I'm just over here getting annoyed at that racist ad thread. OT has not been kind to me today.

Davedough

I knew of him before I knew HP. He started the Kindle thread :eek:

I feel it needs mentioning again that I love my Kindle. I "hacked" it, which by that means that I ran a small piece of code that allows me to put custom wallpapers on it. I spent FAR too much time converting a bunch of images that I like to greyscale and the correct aspect ratio so when I turn off my Kindle it reflects a little piece of me.

Speaking of which, I've run out of books that I want to read. I need to figure out what my next one will be.

Evilore should change her name to H.Pyromaniac

No, her name will change when she and la1n tie the knot.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I feel it needs mentioning again that I love my Kindle. I "hacked" it, which by that means that I ran a small piece of code that allows me to put custom wallpapers on it. I spent FAR too much time converting a bunch of images that I like to greyscale and the correct aspect ratio so when I turn off my Kindle it reflects a little piece of me.

Speaking of which, I've run out of books that I want to read. I need to figure out what my next one will be.

I hacked my first one (original Kindle) but I haven't hacked this one yet. I had my own illustrations as my wallpapers! I really should consider doing that again.

What books have you read recently?

Davedough

I hacked my first one (original Kindle) but I haven't hacked this one yet. I had my own illustrations as my wallpapers! I really should consider doing that again.

What books have you read recently?

Recently finished 3... and yes, I sometimes read multiple books concurrently.

Altered Carbon - Richard K. Morgan ... honestly, didn't really like it.
The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer - Christopher Hitchens
The Hot Zone - Richard Preston

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Recently finished 3... and yes, I sometimes read multiple books concurrently.

Altered Carbon - Richard K. Morgan ... honestly, didn't really like it.
The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Non-Believer - Christopher Hitchens
The Hot Zone - Richard Preston

Hmm... I haven't read any of those so I don't know what I could recommend. But I have been reading an interesting book called The Code Book. It's a history of code making and breaking. I just finished reading about how the Enigma machine was created and eventually broken. I highly recommend it.

Davedough

Hmm... I haven't read any of those so I don't know what I could recommend. But I have been reading an interesting book called The Code Book. It's a history of code making and breaking. I just finished reading about how the Enigma machine was created and eventually broken. I highly recommend it.

Well, my favorite genre is Fiction/Thriller. I enjoy a good suspense, chase type of book. I've got a close follow up to horror/sci-fi, but only if it doesn't get too deep into things like vampires which are more played out than zombies or goes way too deep into sci-fi nerddom.

One of my favorite books is called The Cobra Event, its a biological warfare thriller which I highly recommend, but only if you don't have a weak stomach. Richard Preston can often paint a very realistic picture of some gruesome scenes.

I know that probably doesn't help if you haven't read that either, but popular books like Snow Crash... I enjoyed, but didn't love. I've tried to get into Philip K. Dick novels, but his writing is a bit too flowery for my tastes. I enjoyed almost all of Asimov's books. As contrived as his writing is, I enjoy Koontz on occasion and when I can stomach 600 pages of filler, I"ll read King and enjoy it.

That's just a difference of opinions though. The money spent on my sisters wedding twenty years ago would have been long gone already anyway. The memories and her happiness were more than worth it. I don't see what sentiment has to do with it. More than "adhering to catalogs" it was adhering to a culture she valued(Traditional Mexican wedding).

This is kinda the way I see it. We had a pretty big destination wedding in the Caribbean, about 100 of our friends and family. It was mostly younger people (75% under 32) so it ended up being a weeklong party. Cliff diving, snorkelling dance parties every night and then a big party on Saturday night for the wedding. We rented an entire resort so every room was a friendly face, people who had never met each other became friends who keep in touch to this day. It wasn't the actual event itself but the feeling of all our worlds coming together made it worth any price. (people paid us for the rooms we just had to put the deposit down btw)

It probably would have been just as good if it was a potluck with the same people in a big barn in the woods.

That's just a difference of opinions though. The money spent on my sisters wedding twenty years ago would have been long gone already anyway. The memories and her happiness were more than worth it. I don't see what sentiment has to do with it. More than "adhering to catalogs" it was adhering to a culture she valued(Traditional Mexican wedding).

I guess I can just think of better things (by better I just mean things I find more important) to spend the money on than decorations for a single day. For the the sentimental bit, what are traditions but ceremonies that are performed because of love, nostalgia, history, etc. I didn't mean it in a negative way. I just wasn't raised with any sense of culture/traditions so I lack the 'sentimentality' to follow them, and I don't intrinsically understand them when other people do (logically I get it, but since I don't feel anything like that it just seems 'odd' to me why anyone would spend that much money on a day). As you say, though, the money will go elsewhere regardless, so why not spend it on what makes you/your family happy. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, it had a good run.

That HiroProtagonist has been around a while.

It confused me for a while when I saw H.Pro!

When I found out about this other HPro, I too was filled with wrath. And then shame, because I thought I was being original or some shit. Oh well. (kill him, Dave!)

If it is the Red Berries version I will give you an internet high five. Any others will not do.

I... missed the red berry show... ;_;

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Well, my favorite genre is Fiction/Thriller. I enjoy a good suspense, chase type of book. I've got a close follow up to horror/sci-fi, but only if it doesn't get too deep into things like vampires which are more played out than zombies or goes way too deep into sci-fi nerddom.

One of my favorite books is called The Cobra Event, its a biological warfare thriller which I highly recommend, but only if you don't have a weak stomach. Richard Preston can often paint a very realistic picture of some gruesome scenes.

I know that probably doesn't help if you haven't read that either, but popular books like Snow Crash... I enjoyed, but didn't love. I've tried to get into Philip K. Dick novels, but his writing is a bit too flowery for my tastes. I enjoyed almost all of Asimov's books. As contrived as his writing is, I enjoy Koontz on occasion and when I can stomach 600 pages of filler, I"ll read King and enjoy it.

Oh dear, I think we have opposite book tastes! I don't read thrillers, love everything Neal Stephenson and think Philip K. Dick has great writing. I've also tried Asimov but couldn't get into them.

Davedough

Oh dear, I think we have opposite book tastes! I don't read thrillers, love everything Neal Stephenson and think Philip K. Dick has great writing. I've also tried Asimov but couldn't get into them.

lol... yeah, we seem to be opposites in a lot of things.

Oh well, I think I might go for a classic. Stranger in a Strange Land.

This is kinda the way I see it. We had a pretty big destination wedding in the Caribbean, about 100 of our friends and family. It was mostly younger people (75% under 32) so it ended up being a weeklong party. Cliff diving, snorkelling dance parties every night and then a big party on Saturday night for the wedding. We rented an entire resort so every room was a friendly face, people who had never met each other became friends who keep in touch to this day. It wasn't the actual event itself but the feeling of all our worlds coming together made it worth any price. (people paid us for the rooms we just had to put the deposit down btw)

It probably would have been just as good if it was a potluck with the same people in a big barn in the woods.

That sounds absolutely incredible.

*brofist* (kind of)

I still need to read his latest. I love his books but I get intimidated by the length of some of them sometimes D:

brafist

Can RP GAF help a former RP member out?

I'm trying to win a Facebook contest and I just need a quick vote.

http://www.facebook.com/questions/10150593084649292/

I'm the 2nd option, "Tahir's original song"

And I'm going to keep it real and post the video that I made for this contest. It's a song I wrote, I know that I can't sing btw lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9HgWcDwGm8

Thanks ya'll

Voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom