• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.

.la1n

Yup. Simple and clean is best, or totally nerdy is even better. I remember seeing somewhere a couple that got plain, thin bands of white gold with a single tiny sapphire in one and a ruby in the other to mimic the portal drones. Totally adorable. I also totally <3 that Portal ring too (DO WANT). I have a companion cube at my desk and it is my special 'awake' friend. :D

That is adorable (to the portal drones and the companion cube.)

Thoughtful beats out expensive any day. Silly money-people.

Indeed.

I have trouble spending more than $30 on necessary things like shoes. :O Though I guess I do throw down money on good food and drink no problem (spent $200+ on a dinner before)

This is also my vice. I have a difficult time parting with money except when it comes to good food / drinks. Enjoying the more exotic foods and small brewery beers doesn't help any either.

Davedough

Indeed.

This is also my vice. I have a difficult time parting with money except when it comes to good food / drinks. Enjoying the more exotic foods and small brewery beers doesn't help any either.

Can someone tell me what this post says? Its there, but all I see is some false image that I dont recognize.

Davedough

That bad, huh?

Seriously, because I haven't played it yet

I'm a huge fan of the series and I think Ubisoft milked the cash cow with this version. Its still Assassin's Creed, but for the story (which is why I play), I felt it was quite weak and unsatisfying.

At the end of Brotherhood, I was going over theories and probabilities with a friend on how the story will go and who things were intertwined with one another. The end of this one answered a few good open questions, but ended so cheesily that it gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

marrec

Banned

I have a difficult time parting with money all the time, but especially with food/drink.

It's always a contentious issue when we're eating out.

"I'mma get a Fuzzy Navel!" says my Fiancee happily.

"Oh great, pay 8 dollars for a drink that would cost us 2 dollars at home." I think out lout without realizing.

*fiancee crestfallen, buys drink anyway, doesn't finish drink*

YAY! Guilt always works!

image.php

RawPower

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the series and I think Ubisoft milked the cash cow with this version. Its still Assassin's Creed, but for the story (which is why I play), I felt it was quite weak and unsatisfying.

At the end of Brotherhood, I was going over theories and probabilities with a friend on how the story will go and who things were intertwined with one another. The end of this one answered a few good open questions, but ended so cheesily that it gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

I see. I play because I love the stealth/ninja platforming gameplay (and the environments, to a lesser extent). The story is a nice bonus, but not the end all be all (imo).

marrec

Banned
I'll part with money for expensive electronics easily

But I tend to eat light at expensive restaurants.

I feel bad because I feel like I'm perpetuating a Jewish stereotype, but I have such a hard time spending money unless it's something I've deliberated for months beforehand. It works out because we have tons of cash on hand at any given time, we had tons of cash available for a down-payment on a house, blah blah blah...

You watch, I'm going to go crazy someday and just spend all our money.

Probably buying out all those Portal rings.

Davedough

I see. I play because I love the stealth/ninja platforming gameplay (and the environments, to a lesser extent). The story is a nice bonus, but not the end all be all (imo).

The gameplay, I enjoyed. Its same old Ezio with some new and welcomed tricks. It was the gameplay, which to be honest is 90% of the game, that keeps me from not hating the game entirely... it just could have been more.

Edit: With the exception of that damned tower defense game. Holy crap was that a pain in the arse. I hated every minute of it.

I play on the PS3 version and it was pretty buggy though. Lots of character models disappearing into walls and roofs, etc.

Indeed.

Good food/drink = good memories. I'd rather rack up good experiences than material goods. There are always exceptions (I love my GStar Raw jacket), but generally my spending stipend goes towards food/drink/books.

My poor Companion Cube looks more like a Companion Pancake because I use it as a back brace for my lousy office chair. O_O

I have a difficult time parting with money all the time, but especially with food/drink.

It's always a contentious issue when we're eating out.

"I'mma get a Fuzzy Navel!" says my Fiancee happily.

"Oh great, pay 8 dollars for a drink that would cost us 2 dollars at home." I think out lout without realizing.

*fiancee crestfallen, buys drink anyway, doesn't finish drink*

Ouch. That totally would have killed the drink/mood for me too. I completely understand and often agree with 'the why spend $8 on a single drink when you can get a six-pack at home for the same', but going out is a treat in itself, so (within reason) it's best to keep those thoughts chained up.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm not even really an MGS fan. I hated 4, disliked Portable Ops, wasn't crazy about 2, was okay with 1, and never got past literally the first guard in Peace Walker.

But MGS3 is one of my favorite games of all time and seriously challenged my idea of what video games could be. for me, it is to gaming what The Great Gatsby is to literature.

*motions over to stack of worn out paperback copies of Great Gatsby*

The only part I really liked in MGS4 was when you're in the Eastern European city. It really made me wish for more "old-fashioned" spy games rather than sci-fi military ones like MGS.

Also, I totally kept that young Snake mask on. Damn old Snake. I wouldn't have minded it if it weren't for that creepy moustache. At least keep the same style as you had NOT THAT LONG AGO.

I have trouble spending more than $30 on necessary things like shoes. :O Though I guess I do throw down money on good food and drink no problem (spent $200+ on a dinner before)

I have trouble spending much money on anything. I mean, I buy a lot of stuff, don't get me wrong! But I don't like spending a LOT of money on one thing. That's why I get almost everything used...

I prefer silly-money people.

So is this like, Monopoly money, or money made out of silly string? :eek:

The gameplay, I enjoyed. Its same old Ezio with some new and welcomed tricks. It was the gameplay, which to be honest is 90% of the game, that keeps me from not hating the game entirely... it just could have been more.

I play on the PS3 version and it was pretty buggy though. Lots of character models disappearing into walls and roofs, etc.
Ehhhhh. The gameplay, at best, is the same as it has always been and at worst several measures worse.

The lack of really interesting Asssassin Tombs and some awful stealth missions still makes 2 the best in the series for me.

You can be frugal without being a miserly penny-pincher. Finding the balance between that is key.

Unless things are really tight, I believe you need to splurge on something for yourself every two months.

Maybe not, like, a new TV or something, but a sundae or a nice dinner or a new video game.

Otherwise you go crazy.

Davedough

Ehhhhh. The gameplay, at best, is the same as it has always been and at worst several measures worse.

The lack of really interesting Asssassin Tombs and some awful stealth missions still makes 2 the best in the series for me.

I'll give you this. You know what I sorely missed? The Altair or Romulus armor fetch quests. I loved those and outfitting Ezio with bad ass gear. They replaced the fun of that with the main quest line.

When I was mentioning gameplay, I was more talking about the fight mechanics, which with the inclusion of the hook, bombs and the crossbow, I found myself enjoying it more.

.la1n

The only part I really liked in MGS4 was when you're in the Eastern European city. It really made me wish for more "old-fashioned" spy games rather than sci-fi military ones like MGS.

Also, I totally kept that young Snake mask on. Damn old Snake. I wouldn't have minded it if it weren't for that creepy moustache. At least keep the same style as you had NOT THAT LONG AGO

YES. I loved the European city section. Also, damn right I kept that young Snake mask on, stupid mustache. I will admit I also enjoyed the microwave and final fight sequences. That's right, I liked them :p

RawPower

Banned
Also, I totally kept that young Snake mask on. Damn old Snake. I wouldn't have minded it if it weren't for that creepy moustache. At least keep the same style as you had NOT THAT LONG AGO.

tumblr_ldece6VW4j1qc2eojo1_500.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: We Do Video Games Right (Sometimes!)

YES. I loved the European city section. Also, damn right I kept that young Snake mask on, stupid mustache. I will admit I also enjoyed the microwave and final fight sequences. That's right, I liked them :p

I admit I freaked out when Liquid Ocelot did the handgun thing in the final fight

PgiID.gif

Everything good about that ending went downhill after Otacon's tearful speech. :(

I have trouble spending much money on anything. I mean, I buy a lot of stuff, don't get me wrong! But I don't like spending a LOT of money on one thing. That's why I get almost everything used...

You better not be including support-worthy games/books in there... :O

Unless things are really tight, I believe you need to splurge on something for yourself every two months.

Maybe not, like, a new TV or something, but a sundae or a nice dinner or a new video game.

Otherwise you go crazy.

I agree. Money is only paper after all. I save plenty, but I'm working to live, not living to work (OK, well, I'm trying, but deadlines...).

'Tis cool, indeed. Welcome. :)

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You better not be including support-worthy games/books in there... :O

If it's a game/book I'm excited for, I pre-order it! If it's one I was unsure of, I'll usually wait until it drops in price a bit and then buy it off Amazon.

I usually buy used if it's no longer in print.

Karkador

Banned

That stage was definitely the most interesting and welcome left-turn in the game (Shadow Moses shouldn't count, even though it's so nostalgia-pleasing)...and that was a game full of left-turns.

So is this like, Monopoly money, or money made out of silly string? :eek:

A silly string currency does sound fun. Walk into a store, pull out your can of silly string, and make a nest of it on the counter for the clerk. The economy can't help but pick up when commerce is that much fun.

I feel bad because I feel like I'm perpetuating a Jewish stereotype, but I have such a hard time spending money unless it's something I've deliberated for months beforehand. It works out because we have tons of cash on hand at any given time, we had tons of cash available for a down-payment on a house, blah blah blah...

I look really far forward on my money to the point of neurosis. My gas (edit: the electrical switch to the furnace, I mean) is switched off right now, and it likely won't go on unless the inside of the house hits 49°F. Water heater's always set to Vacation except for during the hour I need to shower. I stopped going to my community center, because the price went up. Never go to movies anymore, don't have TV or phone in my house, buy foods in tremendous bulk to manage a single digit dollars per day meal budget. Stopped buying video games.

Trust me ... I out-scrooge you any day of the week. ;)

(I do have my luxuries, mind, but I have to be extreme in my savings in other areas to afford them while having enough money to keep afloat for a while in case things go bad)

I'm insane, right?

Yup

Excellent. It means that other people know where the line is and can avoid it. I believe I've done my good deed for the week.

...ye gods, my Internet bill is going up from $30 a month probably to $80 a month starting in March. Gonna have to start cutting my own hair. :|

Just kidding; I'm growing it out.

Limiting your life's pleasantries for the sake of saving some money is not a lifestyle I desire.

In a week, I'm going to the Wicked Winter Renaissance Faire. Five weeks from now, Lunacon (a local, three day/night hotel SF convention). In the next three or four months, I will be throwing a house party, going to two or three house parties that I already know about, going to a regional Burning Man event, attending an outdoor, distributed boom box party, going to another SF convention (more of an outdoor festival, though), attending the NYC Pillow Fight, going to the Steampunk World's Fair, attending a Brazilian pool party or two in Manhattan, as well as a get together celebrating the spirit of DIY which seems to attract founders of prominent Internet startups.

There's a yearly viewing of baby seals basking at the far east end of this island that I am considering, a burlesque show just before V-day I might go to, possibly a hot tub party or two if last years' repeat. Things usually pop up as the month progresses.

I really like having fun. Most of what I do is pretty cheap, but I have a couple things which can cost serious amounts of money. It's either (A) dont do the most fun things, or (B) give up some things I don't need to save a few hundred extra dollars.

jasonng

Then you're not a scrooge. Also, I never attend the nyc pillow fight because I'm horrified at the possibility of catching bed bugs.

Then you're not a scrooge. Also, I never attend the nyc pillow fight because I'm horrified at the possibility of catching bed bugs.

It's a shame, truly. Before, say, two years ago, it was a really fun event with a lot of really pretty girls having lots of fun in close quarters. Also, cool costumes and clever things written on pillows.

Now it's a bunch of bros who actively try to hurt people by swinging their pillows as hard as they can. I plan to go, but I'm hoping to somehow volunteer instead of actually partaking.

But, I do admit that I completely go overboard in some aspects of my home life in order to enable my fun. I'm just starting my second year of home ownership, and my Big Vacation isn't as costly (a couple thousand for Reno Worldcon, San Fran and Burning Man, now down to ~$700 for the Chicago Worldcon -- next year will likely be ~$500 for Pennsic), so I will probably relax my habits a bit after I can manage to start paying down my mortgage principle.

Bros....they ruin everything.

They only ruin things that are played out. Just make sure you go to the first few years of each fun thing, then take a break while the mainstream sucks it dry, then go back once it's not so popular again.

Them Burning Man things are actually struggling with the beginnings of these problems. Their solution of now is to spawn additional events during the periods where their established events are being overrun by non-core participants. This is good for me, because suddenly there's another one in Jersey, so I may get to go to one on less than three hours of travel :).

Gaming's pretty similar. Are shooters getting a bit samey nowadays? Take a break, when the mainstream goes away, the genre will be less popular, and the developers will have to start adding more bells and whistles and variety to keep a base of core enthusiasts.

On that day, I will gladly, finally purchase TimeSplitters 4.

.la1n

They only ruin things that are played out. Just make sure you go to the first few years of each fun thing, then take a break while the mainstream sucks it dry, then go back once it's not so popular again.

Them Burning Man things are actually struggling with the beginnings of these problems. Their solution of now is to spawn additional events during the periods where their established events are being overrun by non-core participants. This is good for me, because suddenly there's another one in Jersey, so I may get to go to one on less than three hours of travel :).

Gaming's pretty similar. Are shooters getting a bit samey nowadays? Take a break, when the mainstream goes away, the genre will be less popular, and the developers will have to start adding more bells and whistles and variety to keep a base of core enthusiasts.

On that day, I will gladly, finally purchase TimeSplitters 4.

Thats why I purchased The Darkness II, it just feels good to play something where it feels different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom