• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

The Korean was the worst part la1n ;.;

That would be a New York accent? Probably.

Really? How long ago was that then?

Maybe. I'm not sure. Italian Americans have a kind of distinct accent, as do Italian Aussies. Do they in England too?

Would have been the mid 1970's I guess.

leadbelly

Banned
Maybe. I'm not sure. Italian Americans have a kind of distinct accent, as do Italian Aussies. Do they in England too?

Would have been the mid 1970's I guess.

There are going to be Italians living in the UK. I wouldn't say there are a huge amount of them though. I think those born in this country who are of Italian descent would more than likely have a proper British accent. I guess because you don't have a community of Italians living in the same area.

Probably true for the Asian and black community though. They both tend to have their own distinct accent.

There are going to be Italians living in the UK. I wouldn't say there are a huge amount of them though. I think those born in this country who are of Italian descent would more than likely have a proper British accent. I guess because you don't have a community of Italians living in the same area.

As a person who knew an Italian guy as a kid, he just sounded southern English. So yeah, they don't.

Yeah. Asians on the other hand tend to live in one big community. The kids are always exposed to an Asian accent and that obviously affects the way they speak.
That's interesting. I don't think Asian people here have a distinct accent unless they moved here in high school. Aah language is so strange, but neat!

Davedough

That's interesting. I don't think Asian people here have a distinct accent unless they moved here in high school. Aah language is so strange, but neat!

My father was Navy and I moved around a great deal to many different places growing up. I was told by a linguistics professor that I have the most "American neutral" accent he's ever heard and that I should become a voice actor. I took that as I sound incessantly boring.

leadbelly

Banned

By Asians I'm guessing you mean 'East Asians' right?

When British people speak about Asians they're generally speaking about Pakistanis, Indians, Bengalis, etc. Of course Britain has a history in that area of the world. Perhaps that's why there is such a huge community of South Asians in the UK.

The Asian Population is mostly Muslim. They tend to keep within the Muslim community. As a lot of people they come into contact with have an Indian accent, I suppose that has an affect on the way they speak. I wouldn't say they sound hugely different, but they tend have something in their accent that is a little different to the regional accent of the place they live.

Edit: Got to go.

.la1n

My father was Navy and I moved around a great deal to many different places growing up. I was told by a linguistics professor that I have the most "American neutral" accent he's ever heard and that I should become a voice actor. I took that as I sound incessantly boring.

You should be a voice actor. Probably make more money too.

By far the worst programming problems are when a function isn't being hit and you have no idea why. You have barely anything to work with and it's just depressing.

Blaaarg fuck you ExtJS.

JUST OVER A WEEK LEFT

RKAg7.png

Hey, guys! Thanks to CrudeDiabtribe (whom you should be showering with compliments, gifts, and possible sexual favors depending on sobriety), the database we're using for Secret Santa is finally up. So here's the registration URL:

http://realgafsanta.lonelyfridge.com/registration.php

This is for Real-GAF only, this is not a GAF-at-large Secret Santa. Not anything against anyone else, that would just be too big and unmanageable. So if you're not part of this community, exercise your best judgment. Similarly, don't join if you don't think you can recirporcate presents - this is a big circle of gift-giving to people you hopefully consider friends. We don't want anyone stiffed on this.

OKAY THAT'S ALL THE BAD STUFF OUT OF THE WAY. If you haven't clicked the URL yet, here's what you'll need to be inputting: Your GAF name, your Real Name, your e-mail (don't put a fake one, it is how you will get your Santee information), your address, and any notes and Game Systems you want to add. Try using the last area to put, say, Steam names or what you would like.

The registration will officially close on November 10th, midnight eastern standard time, so you have that long to register. After that, e-mails will be disbursed and everyone will find out who they are buying for. Crude and I will be looking over everything to make sure there are no issues and everyone has a merry Christmas.

But everyone lives in weird places!

Kind of! Luckily, there are options. If you have someone on Steam, you can purchase through there for international people (note that there are rare game exceptions, such as Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, that will not boot up from IPs in Germany, so make sure you double-check on that sort of thing). There are several countries that have their own Amazon delivery, so barring maybe a phone call from your bank, that is a good way to get items to someone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...8&docId=487250 - International hubs for Amazon

Usually you can just google "Amazon (country name)" and find what you're looking for and sometimes bigger Amazon hubs may ship to neighboring countries for cheap. So those are your best bets for buying those things for people.

If none of those options work, well...shipping options exist and they might not be TOO expensive. But hopefully it won't come to that. If there is a big problem that just can't be worked around, PM me and I'll see what we can figure out. It will probably involve me talking to the Santee to see what can be done.

But I'm awful at buying presents!

Probably! Most people are! But that's okay! Steam has a wishlist feature if you're going that route. If not, there's a notes section in the registration where hopefully your santee has decided to put what they wanted. And if that doesn't pan out, maybe look through their GAF post history and try and get a feel for what they might want.

And for all the santees, don't be a jerk! People are doing their best to shop for you, so don't get mad if you don't get exactly what you want. We're all friends here, so let's act like it. The important thing is to have fun with it!

Edit: After thinking about it, cap is $75, minimum is $10.

No one's signed up in over a week.

leadbelly

Banned
You would not like summer here then. Beautiful and sunny for three weeks or so, then rainy, sticky and 35-40 degrees for the next six. Stupid tropics.

Must feel really muggy on the night. There has been some nights here in the UK in the past where it has been so humid I find it hard to sleep. Just keep tossing and turning in my bed. I have to have the window open full and just a thin bed sheet. I remember some nights actually where there was absolutely no breeze. I was just lying there hoping for a bit of fresh air to hit my face. lol

I can't imagine how you manage to sleep in that kind of heat. I imagine it is incredibly humid on the night. Can you even open a window? I suppose Australia has all sorts of exotic insects that are best left outside. :/

Lol, we have fly screens so nothing gets in open windows.
Move back to Sydney
I dreamt I did last night actually. I got so lost on the trains, it was awful ;.; but I had lots of job offers. Even dream me remembers there's bugger all jobs in Brisbane. lol.

Acid08

Banned
Saw some dude driving around with a big ol' Confederate flag waving around on his lifted asshole truck. Such human garbage, sometimes I hate California.

leadbelly

Banned
Lol, we have fly screens so nothing gets in open windows

I was going ask you if you had something like that actually. :p

No need for them in the UK of course. Obviously we get flies and things, but on the night not much really goes through the window. I think we get mosquitoes in this country, but I don't often see them.

Speaking of insects, we don't really get many wasps anymore. It's strange. I remember in my childhood there being loads around. I hate wasps. Bees just get on with their own business, but wasps just like to fuck with you (lol). Hardly see any these days.

I was going ask you if you had something like that actually. :p

No need for them in the UK of course. Obviously we get flies and things, but on the night not much really goes through the window. I think we get mosquitoes in this country, but I don't often see them.

Speaking of insects, we don't really get many wasps anymore. It's strange. I remember in my childhood there being loads around. I hate wasps. Bees just get on with their own business, but wasps just like to fuck with you (lol). Hardly see any these days.

AND FUCKING DADDY LONG-LEGS...ES. I hate those fuckers.

leadbelly

Banned
AND FUCKING DADDY LONG-LEGS...ES. I hate those fuckers.

Actually they don't bother me at all. I quite like them in fact. They don't make much of a noise and don't really bother you much. Moths are a bit annoying though. lol

Flies buzzing around at night are annoying, but it's the really small insects that drive me insane. Not sure what they are, but they can have a really high pitched noise, higher than your typical fly, and when you turn the light on to see where they are, you can't find them because they're so small. I've had nights like that where I'm trying to sleep and all I can hear is this high pitched noise.

"Shut up!"

Jintor

I feel like I've been oscilating between game hype, intense amounts of writing, and crazy depression over the last few weeks

Post your nanowrimo profiles in here so I can read your stories as you write them! :D
Jintor, hopefully writing and hype will counteract the depression.

Ezalc

Won't be able to do my costume since it was at the last minute and the people wanted to charge me 45 bucks for a damn sticker. :/ I don't even feel like going to the place anymore.

Davedough

I'm taking a bit of a GAF break in case anyone wonders where I go off to. I'm sure you guys can handle this thread without me for a bit.

.la1n

I'm taking a bit of a GAF break in case anyone wonders where I go off to. I'm sure you guys can handle this thread without me for a bit.

Can't speak for everyone but I'm going to miss you buddy. Come back soon hope it's not an extended break.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Dave. D:

And because I know some people will want to see it, the beginning of my Nanowrimo.

No critiques please, I can't afford to do massive editing on it right now. D:

Top Bottom