• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

ZeroRay

I love both Punk and Jazz. They both oftentimes have the same messages, only conveyed through different means.

Hell, I can get into most types of music. It's all about the expression, yo.

You do realize this song is jazzy in itself right? That's clearly a big band jazz piano rhythm. So you saying it's better than jazz, you're basically bashing this song as well. Jazz goes with everything. Bigger focus on the guitar than the jazz part but it's still there.

'smore bluesy/rock 'n' rolly than jazzy rly. Not saying that was no crossover or whatever, but like...you wouldn't describe Little Richard as jazz, and he does the same thing. So yeah.

Also, just because something is influenced by something else doesn't mean it can't improve/un...improve it. Look at thrash metal. Influenced by punk but fucking awful.

EDIT: Plus all popular music is going to be influenced by blues and jazz because that's all there was. I can still hate jazz.

Ezalc

'smore bluesy/rock 'n' rolly than jazzy rly. Not saying that was no crossover or whatever, but like...you wouldn't describe Little Richard as jazz, and he does the same thing. So yeah.

Also, just because something is influenced by something else doesn't mean it can't improve/un...improve it. Look at thrash metal. Influenced by punk but fucking awful.

EDIT: Plus all popular music is going to be influenced by blues and jazz because that's all there was. I can still hate jazz.

Hating Jazz when your genre was basically born from it? Alright man whatever. I understand just not liking it or tolerating it, you almost make it sound like just hearing it makes you pissed off. And no, blues is way more low key (pun not intended) that piano was clearly big band jazz.

Hating Jazz when your genre was basically born from it? Alright man whatever. I understand just not liking it or tolerating it, you almost make it sound like just hearing it makes you pissed off. And no, blues is way more low key (pun not intended) that piano was clearly big band jazz.

Punk was hardly born from jazz bro. The entire point of punk was to be fast, simple and loud. Now I'm not gonna say jazz couldn't be fast and loud, but considering how it's one of the most theoretically intensive forms of music it was hardly simple. Again, there probably will have been crossover in the way that jazz influenced blues and rock & roll, but far from being a huge influence.

And that's why I threw in rock & roll-y. Unfortunately the tedium of having to write test plans is making my mind go blank on good examples, but I definitely associate that more with rock and roll and blues than I do with jazz.

Ezalc

Punk was hardly born from jazz bro. The entire point of punk was to be fast, simple and loud. Now I'm not gonna say jazz couldn't be fast and loud, but considering how it's one of the most theoretically intensive forms of music it was hardly simple. Again, there probably will have been crossover in the way that jazz influenced blues and rock & roll, but far from being a huge influence.

And that's why I threw in rock & roll-y. Unfortunately the tedium of having to write test plans is making my mind go blank on good examples, but I definitely associate that more with rock and roll and blues than I do with jazz.

Jazz was definitely a big influence in rock and rock with punk. The traces of it are smaller of course, but that doesn't meant that it doesn't have that as its' heritage. A lot of music came to be thanks to blues/jazz.

To be fair, my knowledge of the development of rock & roll isn't as great as it could be, but from what I know of jazz and from what I know of punk, very little made it through. I mean, take all the first punk bands - The Ramones, The Damned, The Clash etc. and I can't really see any jazz having made it through at all.

Emitan

My family ate without me and brought home some terrible food that I threw out.

Whatever. I don't like Thanksgiving anyway.

Acid08

Banned
Best part about doing all the cooking is that everyone else gets to clean up after you >:)

So there are two dogs and a cat at this place I moved into. Dog 1 likes me already while Dog 2 is a very tiny and frail lil guy so he's a bit cautious but I got to pick him up today and he seemed to enjoy my company. The cat was hidden for like two days but now he's out and about, doing cat things. He was running away from me but today I got to give him some pets and head scratches, thus winning him over somewhat. Cats can take some time to win the trust of.

BEFRIEND ALL ANIMALS.

Chuckie

Did you get premium? I would just grab friends lists, or just type a genre in the search bar and subscribe to other peoples playlists.

I have premium. I got it for 'free' with my phone (for 6 months that is)

I have NO idea how it works. I used to have a free account... is that now the same as my premium account. I got 500 mb free.... free what? Downloads?

.... help me :(

Acid08

Banned

I have NO idea how it works. I used to have a free account... is that now the same as my premium account. I got 500 mb free.... free what? Downloads?

Spotify is too fancy pants for me. Mostly deal in bandcamp now.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I got a bit of money so I was going to get The Walking Dead, but I realized it's second on my wishlist. D:

If I don't end up with that I suppose I'll just wait until Christmas sale then. :<

*bed time*

premium means you get to play them on your computer commercial free, and able to listen to your playlists directly on your phone. I listen to music so much on my phone that spotify has become an essential app for me.

Chuckie

premium means you get to play them on your computer commercial free, and able to listen to your playlists directly on your phone. I listen to music so much on my phone that spotify has become an essential app for me.

Thanks, problem is I have an account (free) and they gave me premium...but that premium was just 'activated'...it is not connected to my account. I sent a mail to the customer service...if they can't make it work...I'm cancelling that shit.

On another note....playing on my PS3 after a long time again. The Walking Dead.. I am loving it. Essentially you are just walking through a comic book...but the story is so good.

Emitan

I hate it when this happens

untitled5hx8w.png

Ezalc

I just want to say that. Tonight I went to a club with a friend, and I was basically his wingman the entire night and I helped him hook up with a chick. I feel so proud, I didn't get anything like that this time, but I felt good knowing I helped out my friend who was needing some love in his life ahahaha.

SO BILLIE, this totally means that I can be your wingman. Now all that's left is for us to go to Shan's house and for her to throw a party.

ZeroRay

I've just been playing that. It's so addictive. You can die like 20 times, but for some reason you just carry on.

Reminds me of Super Meat Boy in that regard. Music is also something else; really brings you into the groove of being a...well whatever you're playing as.

dralla

Just watched The Cabin In The Woods. It was pretty good. I lol'd at
Sigourney Weaver
at the end

the stoner dude had me cracking up. you know what really bothered me though?
how they had a single button that released all the fucked up monsters, like..what's the point of that button even existing and why was it so easily accessible.
I know it sounds silly considering the rest of the movie. also, merman LOL

Top Bottom