• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

Lissar

Reluctant Member
rpgelf_zpse3d2fd5d.png

Okay, so, because I want to paint some stuff and people want to do this RPG thing, I'm going to paint some character portraits like the one above for those who will be participating.

To get the painting you'll have to link me to the post on the RPG forum that describes your character. I want to paint lots, so send me stuff soon!

EVOL 100%

[IrMG]http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Lissar/rpgelf_zpse3d2fd5d.png[/IMG]

Okay, so, because I want to paint some stuff and people want to do this RPG thing, I'm going to paint some character portraits like the one above for those who will be participating.

To get the painting you'll have to link me to the post on the RPG forum that describes your character. I want to paint lots, so send me stuff soon!

Holy shit, that's really good.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
If you want a painting, yes. It would take way too long to paint one for everyone who isn't willing to commit.

leadbelly

Banned
If you want a painting, yes. It would take way too long to paint one for everyone who isn't willing to commit.

Can I just be one of the townsfolk who is not really part of the team, but gives words of encouragement and cheers people on? I'm just in the background shouting, "You can do this!"

leadbelly

Banned
You want me to put in hours of work while you do nothing at all? :/

I'm not doing nothing though lissar! Words of encouragement remember? That can be important if our heroic adventurers lose heart.

Where would Luke have been if Obi-Wan Kenobi didn't continually tell him to use the force? he might have forgotten or something.

I am kiiind of pissed. I've got tickets to what is pretty much the best concert ever to happen ever. And all the bands are clashing.

Still insanely excited though. Eeeeeeeeeeek.

Yeah. I really like the concept of two worlds which are somehow connected. Each person in one world has a person exactly like them in the other world known as a 'soulmate'. I find it really interesting as a gameplay mechanic. The way you have to keep jumping from one world to the other in order to solve a specific problem. I thought 'brokenheartedness' seemed a bit goofy at first, but that too makes for an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Did you find Horace shan? I'm not sure if you'd be told about him if you never initially found him yourself. I find his little riddles and puzzles quite fun. You have to read various stories in the Wizard's Companion in order to solve Horace's riddles. By doing so you get new spells.
Yeah, I've done one or two of his riddles. I like the one that has "I smell" written next to some wizard's picture in the book :p

First I have to work out a character, but so far my halfling ranger has done me well.

leadbelly

Banned
I am kiiind of pissed. I've got tickets to what is pretty much the best concert ever to happen ever. And all the bands are clashing.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Because no one could possibly like to see all of those bands.

Yeah, I've done one or two of his riddles. I like the one that has "I smell" written next to some wizard's picture in the book :p

Yeah. That was the first thing I read and deciphered. I didn't really read everything Horace said properly, so was a little confused as to why it wasn't working. lol

You get so many new abilities when you progress in the game. Of course you get all the spells, and there are loads of them, but there are other things as well. I remember on the volcano level finding a chest in the middle of the lava. I kept wondering, "how the hell do you get that?". Of course then you get Swaine in your team and you get a new ability that allows you to reach chests that were previously out of reach. There are so many new things that you learn.

Where are you at the moment shan? I had a little break so you might have caught me up actually. I am currently in fairyland in the mother's belly (lol). I'm really quite enjoying this part of the game. I went into a room in mother's belly and there is a staircase in there. Drippy proceeds to tell you that this is the "back passage out of mother's belly" (lol).

Oh and also... There are an awful lot of puns in the game. A LOT of puns. I think it probably holds the world record for most puns said in a video game. :D

Yeah. That was the first thing I read and deciphered. I didn't really read everything Horace said properly, so was a little confused as to why it wasn't working. lol

You get so many new abilities when you progress in the game. Of course you get all the spells, and there are loads of them, but there are other things as well. I remember on the volcano level finding a chest in the middle of the lava. I kept wondering, "how the hell do you get that?". Of course then you get Swaine in your team and you get a new ability that allows you to reach chests that were previously out of reach. There are so many new things that you learn.

Where are you at the moment shan? I had a little break so you might have caught me up actually. I am currently in fairyland in the mother's belly (lol). I'm really quite enjoying this part of the game. I went into a room in mother's belly and there is a staircase in there. Drippy proceeds to tell you that this is the "back passage out of mother's belly" (lol).

Oh and also... There are an awful lot of puns in the game. A LOT of puns. I think it probably holds the world record for most puns said in a video game. :D
I'm a couple of towns ahead, I will say :p

And yes, that game is puntastic. One of the reasons I love the adaption so much. Its pretty hard to choose if English or Japanese is better, both are really good.

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Because no one could possibly like to see all of those bands.

I realise that came out kinda silly, I just meant all the bands I want to see. Seriously though, who puts Blink, Metallica and Offspring on at the same time?

leadbelly

Banned
I'm a couple of towns ahead, I will say :p

And yes, that game is puntastic. One of the reasons I love the adaption so much. Its pretty hard to choose if English or Japanese is better, both are really good.

lol

Damn! I got the game before you, and you're already way ahead of me. You must have been playing the game for quite a number of hours. I had a break for a few days so I suspected you probably catched me up. When it comes to JRPGs I'm very much a completest though. I have to do every little side-quest (lol). I always feel like I might have missed something if I don't, so do every one. :/

Of course doing all the side quests has the added bonus of gaining more money and items, but it also helps a lot when leveling up your characters. It feels less like grinding because there is a goal and a reward at the end of it.

lol

Damn! I got the game before you, and you're already way ahead of me. You must have been playing the game for quite a number of hours. I had a break for a few days so I suspected you probably catched me up. When it comes to JRPGs I'm very much a completest though. I have to do every little side-quest (lol). I always feel like I might missed something if I don't, so do every one. :/

Of course doing all the side quests has the added bonus of gaining more money and items, but it also helps a lot when leveling up your characters. It feels less like grinding because there is a goal and a reward at the end of it.

Exactly. The side quests really seem to become a necessity later on, otherwise you end up kind of underleveled. Do you know Toko? Its a monster that can be found on some of the islands, and it gives you 2000 exp every time you kill it.

I feel like I also have the advantage of playing with my boyfriend, so we'll take turns controlling everything. And he can go do the side quests while I make lunch etc.

leadbelly

Banned
Exactly. The side quests really seem to become a necessity later on, otherwise you end up kind of underleveled. Do you know Toko? Its a monster that can be found on some of the islands, and it gives you 2000 exp every time you kill it.

I feel like I also have the advantage of playing with my boyfriend, so we'll take turns controlling everything. And he can go do the side quests while I make lunch etc.

lol

Get your boyfriend to do the less interesting quests while you eat. :p

I've not come across Toko yet, no. To be getting 2000 exp every time, and to be able to defeat an enemy that gives you 2000 exp in the first place, must mean you're pretty damn far into the game (?). You really have been playing this game a lot haven't you?

I'm really glad you're enjoying it though. It's very much a traditional JRPG in every sense of the word. I told you FFXIII wasn't the best game to judge them. The older FF games are more like Ni no Kuni. They have all the little towns, side quests, and the overworld.

lol

Get your boyfriend to do the less interesting quests while you eat. :p

I've not come across Toko yet, no. To be getting 2000 exp every time, and to be able to defeat an enemy that gives you 2000 exp in the first place, must mean you're pretty damn far into the game (?). You really have been playing this game a lot haven't you?

I'm really glad you're enjoying it though. It's very much a traditional JRPG in every sense of the word. I told you FFXIII wasn't the best game to judge them. The older FF games are more like Ni no Kuni. They have all the little towns, side quests, and the overworld.

Not really. As soon as you get the boat you can find him, which is why the 2000 exp thing is so great.

It kind of feels like a cross between kingdom hearts and pokemon tbh. I liked kingdom hearts a lot too, though I did end up super underleveled because I hate hate hate grinding. At least the grinding in this is less obvious because I'm trying to catch cute monsters.

Hey! Its more like I do all the work while he plays!

leadbelly

Banned
Not really. As soon as you get the boat you can find him, which is why the 2000 exp thing is so great.

It kind of feels like a cross between kingdom hearts and pokemon tbh. I liked kingdom hearts a lot too, though I did end up super underleveled because I hate hate hate grinding. At least the grinding in this is less obvious because I'm trying to catch cute monsters.

Hey! Its more like I do all the work while he plays!

Oh really? Whereabouts is this monster then shan? To be honest, to gain that much exp earlier on in the game sounds a bit like cheating to me. I kind of feel like I would be too overpowered. Not sure if I want to defeat it to be honest. Has it made the game too easy for you now would you say?

Yeah I think that is a fair description of it. The 'familiars' are very much like Pokemon. You have to manage them quite a lot actually. Feed them cakes, buy new weapons, metamorphosis, etc. There is a lot to take in, in general. Like I said before, you seem to be gaining new abilities constantly. The alchemy pot was another ability I got recently along with the ability to open out-of-reach chests. That battle was kind of funny actually. The way the genie would go into his pot looking for his sword, and take out a dress and sometimes an umbrella. Yeah, put a smile on my face that did. :D

Ezalc

rpgelf_zpse3d2fd5d.png

Dang I thought I'd be able to get a bard this time around, but D&D scares me. Either way great drawing Lissar. Can't wait to see some of the characters from RPGAF, I want to see some wacky ones!

I don't know what you're talking about. Fucked Up, The Larry Arms and Polar Bear Club are all on at different times.

Though it makes me sad that PBC are higher up than The Lawrence Arms, because TLA are amazing and PBC are only really great

EVOL 100%

I have no idea how you play DnD. All I know is that it involves dice.

Is it beginner friendly?

------

Speaking of missed gigs and the vitriol they inspire, My Bloody Valentine came to Korea a few days ago, and I found that out... on the day they came. The tears were bitter :(

leadbelly

Banned
I don't know what you're talking about. Fucked Up, The Larry Arms and Polar Bear Club are all on at different times.

Though it makes me sad that PBC are higher up than The Lawrence Arms, because TLA are amazing and PBC are only really great

Nah, she explained it in another post. She is on about Blink, Metallica and Offspring.

This looks fantastic!

How about no.

image.php

I realise that came out kinda silly, I just meant all the bands I want to see. Seriously though, who puts Blink, Metallica and Offspring on at the same time?

Blink 182 and Offspring are on sequentially. So for why they conflict with Metallica, maybe the organizers paid attention to loudmouth fans of each band on the internet shit-talking about the other(s).

I have no idea how you play DnD. All I know is that it involves dice.

The game-master, me, presents a scene, you then tell me what your character would like to do, and everyone else does the same. We then resolve that, sometimes with dice (when an outcome is not certain) or with logic. The dice rolling represents battles of skill, magic, swords, with gravity, etc.

Repeat.

Through repeated scenes your characters traverse and break my carefully (or hastily) crafted scenarios. If enough goes right there's a coherent plot and engaging story that you help craft.

Is it beginner friendly?

Yes, in the sense that I will try and explain how it works to you; no in the sense that I'm frequently a terrible teacher. The rulebook is 200 pages long, but you don't have to know all of it (but I need to re-read it). Nobody needs to buy it (I do like the PDF though), much of the content is available for free online (legitimately).

Have you played a role-playing game on a video-game device and thought "I'd love if this were less cartoony, slower paced, with other people and entirely in my head?"

Nah, she explained it in another post. She is on about Blink, Metallica and Offspring.

His reading comprehension isn't the problem. Hint:
He's a snobby fucking hipster.

rpgelf_zpse3d2fd5d.png

Yay!

This is my dudefellah (ignore the picture that's up, it doesn't really fit my character):

http://mould.lonelyfridge.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11

See what you make of the watery past (even though CrudeDiabetribe doesn't allow for aquatic elves, and he's right - they are kinda lame) as I'm practically a coastal half-elf. I'm also a cleric interested in using my divine powers to naively clear the world of evil.

EVOL 100%

The game-master, me, presents a scene, you then tell me what your character would like to do, and everyone else does the same. We then resolve that, sometimes with dice (when an outcome is not certain) or with logic. The dice rolling represents battles of skill, magic, swords, with gravity, etc.

Repeat.

Through repeated scenes your characters traverse and break my carefully (or hastily) crafted scenarios. If enough goes right there's a coherent plot and engaging story that you help craft.

Yes, in the sense that I will try and explain how it works to you; no in the sense that I'm frequently a terrible teacher. The rulebook is 200 pages long, but you don't have to know all of it (but I need to re-read it). Nobody needs to buy it (I do like the PDF though), much of the content is available for free online (legitimately).

Have you played a role-playing game on a video-game device and thought "I'd love if this were less cartoony, slower paced, with other people and entirely in my head?"

Sounds interesting, thanks. Is there any deadline of sorts for us to submit our characters? I'd like to join, but I'm going to be out for the next 4 days, and I won't likely be able to get any character creation done.

Sounds interesting, thanks. Is there any deadline of sorts for us to submit our characters? I'd like to join, but I'm going to be out for the next 4 days, and I won't likely be able to get any character creation done.

No, join anytime. The aim is to have short adventures to accommodate who is available for play at a given time and then accommodate who is available next time without me playing a character for someone or have sudden magical-teleportation in and out of the scenario. Currently I want to have something together to play for the people who've made characters before they get bored.

You could always just throw at us a character concept and what you'd like to do (or what race/class you prefer), and me and CD will do the number crunching and come up with a couple of possible class/race combos for you.

jasonng

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Lissar/rpgelf_zpse3d2fd5d.png[IMG]

To get the painting you'll have to link me to the post on the RPG forum that describes your character. I want to paint lots, so send me stuff soon![/QUOTE]

Wow, that's really good.

EVOL 100%

No, join anytime. The aim is to have short adventures to accommodate who is available for play at a given time and then accommodate who is available next time without me playing a character for someone or have sudden magical-teleportation in and out of the scenario. Currently I want to have something together to play for the people who've made characters before they get bored.

You could always just throw at us a character concept and what you'd like to do (or what race/class you prefer), and me and CD will do the number crunching and come up with a couple of possible class/race combos for you.

Oh, that's cool. I'm mulling on what I want to play as right now, I'll get back to you guys when I get something decent.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I will play my first non-videogame RPG ever if you can bring my true beauty onto a fictional screen.

I have a picture of me eating a cake. I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

Oh, I have no idea. I'm just being a dick. I too like a lot of unpopular music.
Heh, fair enough c:

So today has been shit. Something which was supposed to go out yesterday failed testing, so I had to fix it. Should've taken two hours , tops, took all day because I finally got Windows 8 yesterday. Meaning I had to set EVERYTHING up again. Including something which is awkward as fuck to set up. Which I managed to get errors that the people who are experts with it hadn't seen. So finally, two hours after I should have left I actually manage to leave and get the tram into town. And then a drunk loud asshole sits next to me and just is an asshole. Blaragarrg.

The Lawrence Arms and Fucked Up, nice!
This guy knows what's up

I saw TLA last time they came to England, they were so good. I then got stuck at Clapham Junction and had my parents pick me up. On the way back my mum predicted a badger. It was weird.

I missed Brendan Kelly and Dan Andriano though, which I'm annoyed about.

Also, Fucked Up and Titus Andronicus soon. It's gonna be awesome

Acid08

Banned
This guy knows what's up

I saw TLA last time they came to England, they were so good. I then got stuck at Clapham Junction and had my parents pick me up. On the way back my mum predicted a badger. It was weird.

I missed Brendan Kelly and Dan Andriano though, which I'm annoyed about.

Also, Fucked Up and Titus Andronicus soon. It's gonna be awesome

Titus is my favorite guitar music band out right now, I loooooove them so much. Missed them last time they came to SF, will not happen again.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
rpgarcher-tif_zps4ba98787.png

Palulu's elf ranger!

Okay, so, if I'm going to draw your characters I'm going to NEED much more information than you're giving me. Here are things that would be really nice to know:

Hair color?
Hair style?
Eye color?
Skin color?
Tattoos?
Piercings?
Scars/injuries?
How do they carry their weight? (fat, muscular, skinny, etc.)
Also face/eye/nose/lip shape if you have a preference. Or I can make up something.

Clothing is also important!

Armor?
Shirt?
Pants?
Dress?
Skirt?
Cape?
Belt(s)?
Bag(s)?
Weapon(s)?

Also any information about their attitude and how they present themselves to the world.

If you cannot give me any information on your character then I will draw nothing. :O Description is fine. Photographic references are good. Your own drawing of what is on your mind is best. However you go about it, as long as you give me SOMETHING to work from.

Top Bottom