• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

leadbelly

Banned
Well my town person doesn't stand out too much lissar. Just some leather trousers and woolen top. The top has a hole in the shoulder, it needs to fixed. Hair is brown and cropped quite short. It needs washing, probably. My shoes an old pair of boots, they're a bit worn out.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Oh, fine.

villageidiot_zps42b6d0ab.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
I've just suddenly remembered.... Today is the day that Sony unveil PS4. :O

I want to be completely blown away. Considering how long this generation has lasted, I would be a little disappointed if it isn't a huge leap forward. I really hope they show off some next-gen games and it isn't just tech demos.

EVOL 100%

Honestly, it's shocking how little I'm excited.

The talk of anti used games and always online DRM just killed the little hype I did.

leadbelly

Banned
Honestly, it's shocking how little I'm excited.

The talk of anti used games and always online DRM just killed the little hype I did.

Yeah, that shit sucks, but my excitement is purely about the visuals. I want to see just how much of a step forward visually games are going to be.

rpgarcher-tif_zps4ba98787.png

Palulu's elf ranger!

Okay, so, if I'm going to draw your characters I'm going to NEED much more information than you're giving me. Here are things that would be really nice to know:

Hair color?
Hair style?
Eye color?
Skin color?
Tattoos?
Piercings?
Scars/injuries?
How do they carry their weight? (fat, muscular, skinny, etc.)
Also face/eye/nose/lip shape if you have a preference. Or I can make up something.

Clothing is also important!

Armor?
Shirt?
Pants?
Dress?
Skirt?
Cape?
Belt(s)?
Bag(s)?
Weapon(s)?

Also any information about their attitude and how they present themselves to the world.

If you cannot give me any information on your character then I will draw nothing. :O Description is fine. Photographic references are good. Your own drawing of what is on your mind is best. However you go about it, as long as you give me SOMETHING to work from.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Don't care about hair, eye, skin colour. No tattoos or piercings though, same with scars/injuries. Should be skinny/average build, whatever face.

Clothing wise, make the character hold deep sashela's holy symbol (it's a silver relic) in one hand, and a trident with silver-tipped middle-prong in the other hand. He has no cape, but a leather/hide armour. Maybe also a holy book or something hanging off his belt, or maybe not. I dunno about bag, you're free to add one if you wish.

Ezalc

Okay, so, if I'm going to draw your characters I'm going to NEED much more information than you're giving me. Here are things that would be really nice to know:

Hair color?
Hair style?
Eye color?
Skin color?
Tattoos?
Piercings?
Scars/injuries?
How do they carry their weight? (fat, muscular, skinny, etc.)
Also face/eye/nose/lip shape if you have a preference. Or I can make up something.

Clothing is also important!

Armor?
Shirt?
Pants?
Dress?
Skirt?
Cape?
Belt(s)?
Bag(s)?
Weapon(s)?

Also any information about their attitude and how they present themselves to the world.

If you cannot give me any information on your character then I will draw nothing. :O Description is fine. Photographic references are good. Your own drawing of what is on your mind is best. However you go about it, as long as you give me SOMETHING to work from.

He is a bard. He uses a saxophone, has green and white clothing. Kind of looks like Miguel from The Road to El Dorado, except has short brown hair. He also has a flowy scarf or belt thing (whatever that thing is that Vega from Street fighter has as a belt). :D

86672.jpg

This is Deep Sashela's symbol, but me and CD has kinda considered turning Deep Sashela into a more watery/healing type of good.

So, like, just an ocean wave would be better I think.

I've just suddenly remembered.... Today is the day that Sony unveil PS4. :O

I want to be completely blown away. Considering how long this generation has lasted, I would be a little disappointed if it isn't a huge leap forward. I really hope they show off some next-gen games and it isn't just tech demos.

This is Sony. While their exclusive games are the best of the industry, I'd be wary of their hardware.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
He is a bard. He uses a saxophone, has green and white clothing. Kind of looks like Miguel from The Road to El Dorado, except has short brown hair. He also has a flowy scarf or belt thing (whatever that thing is that Vega from Street fighter has as a belt). :D

You've got to create a character sheet on the forum too.

Sorry to be so specific, but since these paintings take me three hours they aren't exactly quick sketches. I'm only painting them for people who are committed to the game.

I hope this is a case where my sarcasm detector is broken.

Not fond of Halo of Gears and most of the 360 stuff, too much bro gamer or RPG's. A few indie games, but those I can play on PC and most of them eventually go on PS3 anyway. Sony's main weakness is their hardware on multi-platform games.

Ezalc

You've got to create a character sheet on the forum too.

Sorry to be so specific, but since these paintings take me three hours they aren't exactly quick sketches. I'm only painting them for people who are committed to the game.

Hm, I don't think I could be committed to the game. I could try it to see how it'd be though. Always have had a passing curiosity for D&D.

Not fond of Halo of Gears and most of the 360 stuff, too much bro gamer or RPG's. A few indie games, but those I can play on PC and most of them eventually go on PS3 anyway.

Not a Nintendo fan then?

Hey, guess who can't sleep :D

Also I always get amused by people who get super-hyped for conferences like that Sony one and E3 and are always disappointed. They always expect something so good that it couldn't possibly exist. Every damn time.

leadbelly

Banned
I missed the first hour. But from the gaming side it sounds like they've already done this.

Yeah. It was a solid press conference. It started off with the social aspect of the console, the way you are able to connect with friends and community. The Gaikai stuff sounded quite interesting actually. One feature talked about was the ability to broadcast your game to your friends while you're playing it. They can watch you play through a level. It also has a cool feature where a friend can actually control the game for you. If you're stuck on a level, you can get your friend to do the level for you. I have to say though, listening to a lot of the social stuff, it seems to me they're going to charge for it. The amount they are investing on this, I can't see them giving you these features for free.

Knack
This was the first PS4 game they shown. I found it to be one of the most underwhelming games visually. I think it is a combination of the art style and the fact that it is an early title. I'm sure there are some things technically that can't be done on PS3, but the overall look and feel of the game could probably translate quite well to PS3. It didn't really feel like a true next-gen title.

Killzone
Killzone was pretty impressive. They shown real-time gameplay this time around. No CG masquerading as real-time gameplay (lol). What was really impressive was the sheer size of the game world which was very detailed and without any real noticeable pop up. On current gen consoles you wouldn't be able to get that level of detail and fidelity. In terms of the size of the level, even what they were able to manage on PS3 would have LOD constraints (textures popping in, objects appearing out of nowhere, etc). This demo appeared to have no issues with LOD, at least nothing that is really noticeable anyway. The amount going on in the world was pretty impressive as well. You have ships flying around and hundreds of flying cars in traffic going around the city, all while you're fighting various enemies. All in all, probably the best demo shown, mainly because it was actual gameplay.

Deep Down
Deep Down is basically a demo shown of a very early game from Capcom. It was used to show off Capcom's new 'Panta Rhei Engine'. Probably the most visually impressive demo at the conference, but it is not really clear at this moment just how representive it will be of the final product. It looked like a tech demo rather than an actual game. Still, if the actual game looks like that, then expect to be totally blown away. I hope games really do look that good.

Watch Dogs
This was shown off again. The first time I saw Watch Dogs I was very impressed by it. Back then it looked like it could be one of the first next gen games shown. It still looks great, but it's starting to look a little less next gen now than it did when I first saw it. Not because the visuals have been downgraded, just because what was already shown at the conference was a considerable step up from that. In terms of gameplay though, it still seems a really interesting game. The underlining concept of the game is that everything is connected. To degree this is already a reality with the internet and the rise of social networks; the way everything is accessible now through computers and mobile devices. In the future that level of integration is on a much grander scale. However, that makes society a little more vulnerable. If you're able to hack into these systems then it puts you in a very powerful position. Watch Dogs basically plays with that idea.

Blizzard came on stage to mention that Diablo III was coming to the console (lol). I can't believe they were given time on stage to talk about it. Who cares?

To sum it up, it was a very solid conference overall. It gave you a taste of what is to come which is what everyone was hoping for and expected of Sony. It's too early on really for anything to be shown in detail, I'm sure it took developers a great deal of work to get ready the little they did show. You couldn't really ask for more.

8GB OF GDRR5!!!!!1

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. 8GB of GDDR5 ram is definitely a big deal.

LuffyZoro

Lissar, I finally started reading Gunnerkrieg Court today from your recommendation forever ago, and it's so good. I'm already about halfway through.

Nothing really wowed me or made me go "I have to buy this" , I have some games I am kinda interested in now, I am interested in the sharing and streaming features, dissapointed they didn't show actual hardware beyond the controller and camera. Overall not at all as hyped as I was from the equivalent Vita or 3ds unveilings and much like those things wait and see what unfortunate details start to be announced about it prior to launch (and will then probably end up buying it anyways).

leadbelly

Banned
Nothing really wowed me or made me go "I have to buy this" , I have some games I am kinda interested in now, I am interested in the sharing and streaming features, dissapointed they didn't show actual hardware beyond the controller and camera. Overall not at all as hyped as I was from the equivalent Vita or 3ds unveilings and much like those things wait and see what unfortunate details start to be announced about it prior to launch (and will then probably end up buying it anyways).

The thing is, the conference was simply to show off what the console is capable of. It's too early to show any features or next gen titles in great depth. A lot of the titles are probably nowhere near ready yet to be unveiled anyway. We haven't seen much, but what we do know is that the hardware has a huge amount of potential. That in itself has left me satisfied.

And in terms of being wowed, if the PS4 is really capable of producing graphics at the level of 'Deep Down' wouldn't you be blown away by that? I mean it looks incredible.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...-panta-rhei-engine-and-debut-trailer--stream-

Not buying another console in a long time. Probably will get a better PC as my Steam library continues to grow.

I just bought Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Ys I and II

And I didn't find PS4 to be disappointing. It seems that they've listened to devs and made it easier to program and addressed some of the problems with the PS3. Fanboys and haters are to be expected. You can't satisfy nerds. I hardly pay attention to gaming news just because the industry and enthusiast press has made it so painful to do so.

I think most of what took the hype away from me was the lack of a hardware reveal and at least one game I can say, oh wow I really want that. Graphics dont really wow me, or I would say, they only wow me to an extent, and certainly weren't what made me super hyped after 3ds and vita unveilings compared to this.

Acid08

Banned
I think most of what took the hype away from me was the lack of a hardware reveal and at least one game I can say, oh wow I really want that. Graphics dont really wow me, or I would say, they only wow me to an extent, and certainly weren't what made me super hyped after 3ds and vita unveilings compared to this.

Eh, I don't think it was ever going to be that. E3 is only a couple months away and there will be gaaaaaaaaaaaaaames there.

Eh, I don't think it was ever going to be that. E3 is only a couple months away and there will be gaaaaaaaaaaaaaames there.

Its not like they didn't show games, I just didn't find any of them wow worthy like I did with vita and 3ds. Dont get me wrong the problem isn't with sony, they showed far more games today than I EVER expected from this event, none wowed me though, interested? maybe, but wowed?no. They probably showed more than they've ever did compared to past events really of similar nature, but nothing grabbed me quite like that vita montage at its unveiling with gravity rush and other games in it, or seeing the kid icarus uprising trailer for the first time at the 3ds unveiling. and the lack of an actual console box just makes this feel less than..."tangible" I guess.

So apparently because I'm so shit at waking up I'm incredibly lucky to still have my job. As in the chief exec just called me down, told me that if I'm ever late again, even by a minute, that I'll be fired, and now I have to work 9-5 instead of start at 8-10 and finish 8 hours later.

Fuck my fucking brain. Getting in at 9 is going to be fun, considering the journey takes over a fucking hour.

leadbelly

Banned
So apparently because I'm so shit at waking up I'm incredibly lucky to still have my job. As in the chief exec just called me down, told me that if I'm ever late again, even by a minute, that I'll be fired, and now I have to work 9-5 instead of start at 8-10 and finish 8 hours later.

Fuck my fucking brain. Getting in at 9 is going to be fun, considering the journey takes over a fucking hour.

How many times have you been late?

How many times have you been late?

I'm not sure, but (obviously) too much. And it's not that I don't care, I'm just shit at waking up. I slept through a fucking exam once, despite having an hours worth of alarms next to my fucking head.

All things considered, I really feel like I should go to a doctor, because at this point my brain being shit is having such an impact on my life that it can't hurt, right? Though I get the feeling that whoever I see will just be like "You're fucking kidding, right?". Especially if I say what I think it is (ADHD), because no-one thinks it's a real thing. And even if they do think it's real and they do refer me to someone for a proper diagnosis, then I'm still fucked because my parents definitely don't think I have it, and I'll need them to say what I was like as a kid since you have to have had it since before you were 7, and I have barely any recollection of even 5 years ago. Argh. I want to go home. I want my brain to stop being so fucking shit all of the time.

leadbelly

Banned
I'm not sure, but (obviously) too much. And it's not that I don't care, I'm just shit at waking up. I slept through a fucking exam once, despite having an hours worth of alarms next to my fucking head.

All things considered, I really feel like I should go to a doctor, because at this point my brain being shit is having such an impact on my life that it can't hurt, right? Though I get the feeling that whoever I see will just be like "You're fucking kidding, right?". Especially if I say what I think it is (ADHD), because no-one thinks it's a real thing. And even if they do think it's real and they do refer me to someone for a proper diagnosis, then I'm still fucked because my parents definitely don't think I have it, and I'll need them to say what I was like as a kid since you have to have had it since before you were 7, and I have barely any recollection of even 5 years ago. Argh. I want to go home. I want my brain to stop being so fucking shit all of the time.

Try to get yourself into a routine of going to bed at around 10pm. It's a bit early, but at least you will have had plenty of sleep. You haven't got any chances left, so you have to try something.

fmpanda

This is a real thing that happened in real life?

Yup, pretty much. The funny part was the griping over at the Blizzard Forums (which was covered in one of the threads here) that the "dumbing down" of Diablo III was all along for the sake of console gamers.

I dunno, we'll see if they can sell some copies when the PS4 comes out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yup, pretty much. The funny part was the griping over at the Blizzard Forums (which was covered in one of the threads here) that the "dumbing down" of Diablo III was all along for the sake of console gamers.

I dunno, we'll see if they can sell some copies when the PS4 comes out.
Oh they'll sell copies. They'll sell plenty of copies.

But do they deserve to? :-[

Ezalc

Well this sucks. My computer is being shit. None of the avatars on GAF are showing up and now I can't seem to connect to facebook.

dralla

god damnit, fucking Halo. started playing Halo CE Anniversary, game froze right at the end of Truth and Rec, and if you don't "save and quit", all progress is lost. god damn this is a long ass level too. Other than this bullshit, this game is still great, 10 years later. I would've loved to see how the last 3rd of the game would've turned out if they had time to finish it instead of rehashing the first half of the game

Top Bottom