• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

leadbelly

Banned
I don't mind that. However I am still a bit afraid to take advice from Gaf regarding games :p
Everybody here was hyping Nier... so I bought it..and really hated it.

I've not played Nier so I can't really compare. As I said though, you need to play the game for a good few hours before it starts to get good. Like other JRPGs, you're going through the motions at the start. Every fight is basically you tapping X. Once Esther joins your party, it begins to get more interesting though.

It probably doesn't have the best battle system in the world, but it isn't the worst either. It gives you so many options as you progress through the game. I think it is a bit of a mishmash of ideas though really, and it probably would have been better if they focused on one key element and improved upon that.

Emitan

coastcity-tif_zps1cfd38c7.png

The city I'm from in the RPG. :eek:

It's okay for a first effort I suppose. Hopefully I can improve my environment paintings in the future.

Nice colors. Scale of the buildings feels off compared to that ship. They're way too big. It seems weird that they built those giant structures in the foreground (and maybe those things in the background) but all of the other structures are short, it doesn't feel consistent.

I do really like it but world building is important and the key of world building is cohesion!

Pau

Nice colors. Scale of the buildings feels off compared to that ship. They're way too big. It seems weird that they built those giant structures in the foreground (and maybe those things in the background) but all of the other structures are short, it doesn't feel consistent.

I do really like it but world building is important and the key of world building is cohesion!
I actually like that the scale feels so off because then I'm wondering why these pillars are so huge and important.

Emitan

I actually like that the scale feels so off because then I'm wondering why these pillars are so huge and important.

If the pillars are like waaaaaaay older than the rest of the city it's fine.

I'm only being so critical because I know Aeryne is the kind of person who cares about this kind of thing!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
They aren't pillars they are towers. D:

Those towers are where all political business is conducted. They do not have windows because the material they are made of makes it transparent on the inside but opaque on the outside.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm still thinking of redoing it if a lot of people aren't reading it correctly at first. :eek: Images should be easy to read, not take work!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Not graduating is terrible. I had to go an extra term for one class (mostly because of my own idiocy of taking the wrong class the previous term.) Fortunately it was an art class and they have week long intensive courses in the summer and so I spent 6 hours a day for a week dying wool and cloth.

Pau

They aren't pillars they are towers. D:

Those towers are where all political business is conducted. They do not have windows because the material they are made of makes it transparent on the inside but opaque on the outside.
Hmm... that's actually pretty damn cool but I'm not sure how you get that across in an image if someone wasn't aware. But you can use that to your advantage. For someone (like a human from my country) who's visiting for the first time and never seen them before, it feels a lot more "alien" for lack of better word? But I love stuff that illicit that's reaction in fantasy and sci-fi.

Looks like I won't be graduating after this semester after all

AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
That must be very frustrating, but you're almost there! :)

leadbelly

Banned
If the pillars are like waaaaaaay older than the rest of the city it's fine.

I'm only being so critical because I know Aeryne is the kind of person who cares about this kind of thing!

I was thinking that actually. They could be the remnants of an ancient advanced civilisation. The pillars may hold some form of magical power. You find that in quite a few RPGs actually. The RPG I am currently playing has that angle to the story in fact. In Ni no Kuni they're known as the Nazcaan.

Speaking of Ni no Kuni, I think I am at the end now. I don't know if there is anything after defeating the White Witch. I do wonder because it has this way of making you think you're close to the end, but you're not.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I was thinking that actually. They could be the remnants of an ancient advanced civilisation. The pillars may hold some form of magical power. You find that in quite a few RPGs actually. The RPG I am currently playing has that angle to the story in fact. In Ni no Kuni they're known as the Nazcaan.

Speaking of Ni no Kuni, I think I am at the end now. I don't know if there is anything after defeating the White Witch. I do wonder because it has this way of making you think you're close to the end, but you're not.

They can't be the remnants of an ancient civilization because they are the oldest civilization in the world. There were no others! They call themselves "the first people" and it's 100% true. Damn elves and their lengthy lives.

They look special because they're political buildings.

leadbelly

Banned
They can't be the remnants of an ancient civilization because they are the oldest civilization in the world. There were no others! They call themselves "the first people" and it's 100% true. Damn elves and their lengthy lives.

They look special because they're political buildings.

Lies and fabrications designed to keep the working-class subservient and under control. That is simply what the leaders of that kingdom want the people to think.

Neogaf is a bit slow for me at the moment.

zon

I was at a musical last night, it was pretty entertaining actually. I usually don't go to things like this, but when a colleague offers you a free ticket why say no? Also meant I got to drink some wine and eat some appetizers. Was a good night overall. :)

Lead actress was really good looking, and had a great voice too!

I will buy the new version of Monopoly with the cat token when it comes out later this year. I think it'll be my new favorite piece.

Ezalc

YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?!*

Either point it out or shaddup.

There's no need to be aggressive guys, jeez.

Went to a party yesterday. It was a send off for a friend of mine, and it was a disney/animation themed costume party. I went as Miguel from The Road to El Dorado! It was so much fun, I couldn't find a blonde wig though. I was also the "DJ" along with another friend of mine. Had like 250 songs on my playlist. So awesome. I didn't get to take a picture with the costume though, gonna try and get one later.

Acid08

Banned
If nothing else, I hope JJ Abrams nails the visual style of Star Wars. I'm not sure there's any style I love more than the look of the original trilogy.

My hopes for the new movies:

1. No lightsaber dance fights
2. A story that isn't mired down in political BS
3. Clever fan service and call backs

I'm sure they'll be entertaining movies like Star Trek was. Problem is they're just going to be modern action movies with a Star Wars aesthetic, just like Trek was as well. Good thing I love everything about the SW aesthetic. I can handle a lack of substance.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Free corporate pass to the clipsal 500 today. Free food, alcohol and we're right on the chicane. Car spun out 12 laps off the finish so the safety car is out. These last 10 laps should be sweet.

Still sunburnt from soundwave yesterday. That part is sucky

Watched The Thin Red Line yesterday.

Was amused by the single minute of screentime Clooney got, considering how much he's billed on the box.

EDIT: At work on Sunday at 8AM :C

leadbelly

Banned
I completed Ni no Kuni yesterday. I really liked it overall. I think it was one of my favourite JRPGs this generation, although there hasn't been many good ones. I hope they make a sequel because I wouldn't mind visiting that world again, especially when it looks so beautiful.

Edit: The '504 Gateway timeout' error messages are doing my head in. :/

Top Bottom