• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-Gaf Community |OT2| Sponsored by Leadbelly the Impaler

Chuckie

Started playing Arkham City again and I must say I like it more now than in the beginning.
While the story of Asylum is better, the amount of content, side missions etcetera is much better in City.
In Asylum you'd be walking around in a total empty space after finishing the game, searching for some Riddler Trophies. In City the whole Riddler thing is done so much better.

I still fucking suck at all those challenges :( No way I am getting Platinum on this one.

Oh and fuck AR training.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Started playing Arkham City again and I must say I like it more now than in the beginning.
While the story of Asylum is better, the amount of content, side missions etcetera is much better in City.
In Asylum you'd be walking around in a total empty space after finishing the game, searching for some Riddler Trophies. In City the whole Riddler thing is done so much better.

I still fucking suck at all those challenges :( No way I am getting Platinum on this one.

Oh and fuck AR training.
I'm in the middle of it. While I agree the plot arc of Asylum is superior, the best part is how well is captures the feel of a Gotham that has been dealing with Batman and out of control villains for decades, when suddenly Batman had the status quo pulled out from under him. It really does feel like a self-contained city that would go about its evil enterprises whether or not you got involved.

dralla

I thought the Riddler stuff i City was terrible, just way too much of it and it distracted me from the rest of the game. City also suffers from too many villains, none of them get very developed, quality > quantity.

Oh, and STEAK

IMG_20130304_233435.jpg

Pau

I thought the Riddler stuff i City was terrible, just way too much of it and it distracted me from the rest of the game. City also suffers from too many villains, none of them get very developed, quality > quantity.
Honestly, I'm okay with the villains not being "developed" by Paul Dini in Arkham City. I usually like him, but god damn I don't know why his writing took a nosedive in these games.

Chuckie

I finished the game first, then did most of the side-missions. That way you still have lots of stuff to do after finishing plus it doesn't distract you from the main story-line (because I do agree with you...it is distracting)

.la1n

Honestly, I'm okay with the villains not being "developed" by Paul Dini in Arkham City. I usually like him, but god damn I don't know why his writing took a nosedive in these games.

I know, it was great to read about his involvement leading up to release but was then followed by disappointment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just ignored the Riddler stufF. (Granted I haven't finished, but I'm horrid with collectible/optional hunts).

Penguin and Freeze had enough to them to satisfy me. Zsasz's stuff is contrived, and I don't know if Two-Face is gonna show up again or what.

Hamill's Joker is so fucking fantastic it barely matters what words you put in his mouth, though.

ZeroRay

I know, it was great to read about his involvement leading up to release but was then followed by disappointment.

It should be noted that writing in game development is an extremely difficult thing to do. Unless Dini was a designer working full-time at Rocksteady, his involvement in the story probably amounted to making something out of what Rocksteady already designed.

Even games that are considered "high-tier" when it comes to storytelling this gen like Uncharted suffer on the narrative front because gameplay ideas come first, and you have to write something to support those ideas instead of the other way around. That, plus time constraints leads to game stories not being as strong as the material they're influenced by.

Pau

It should be noted that writing in game development is an extremely difficult thing to do. Unless Dini was a designer working full-time at Rocksteady, his involvement in the story probably amounted to making something out of what Rocksteady already designed.

Even games that are considered "high-tier" when it comes to storytelling this gen like Uncharted suffer on the narrative front because gameplay ideas come first, and you have to write something to support those ideas instead of the other way around. That, plus time constraints leads to game stories not being as strong as the material they're influenced by.
I'm aware of that and don't really blame him for that stuff. I was talking specifically about the script which was flat out terrible.

leadbelly

Banned
Oh, and STEAK

IMG_20130304_233435.jpg

That looks delicious. I've been watching the football and haven't eaten anything. I am absolutely starving right now. The steak looks so juicy as well, I really want it! :(

Penguin and Freeze had enough to them to satisfy me. Zsasz's stuff is contrived, and I don't know if Two-Face is gonna show up again or what.

Freeze was the best boss battle in the game. It was a pity that the other boss battles were not as well thought out.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Sadly, I've found sci-fi and fantasy that are considered seminal works in those genres don't typically impress me much. My usual feelings toward them are "great ideas, poor execution". I'm not saying this to be hipster or be different from the crowd, only that sometimes great and thought provoking ideas just aren't enough.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
*burns her copy of LOTR*

I really want to like it. The world building is phenomenal. But reading it is a slog, and I have to admit the lack of any interesting female characters really kills it for me.

You have to understand, I read a lot of fantasy with interesting female characters before I got to LOTR. When I finally read it I did not like having my entire gender kicked to the curb. I mean, yes it was written at a time when no one really cared of women were doing things and felt it was more appropriate if they stayed at home with the children, but that doesn't make it anymore exciting for me to read.

Emitan

I have a world building fetish. Besides lack of good females it was basically made for me~

Wheel of Time went on for too long and I lost interest but I liked how sexism was reversed in that world and women were usually in charge instead of men.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I liked The Hobbit (despite the no interesting female characters problem.) It felt like there was an interesting world behind the words but he didn't insist on letting us know every detail of it.

World building is one of my favorite things but a good book it does not make. That's why I collect books that give more in depth detail about the worlds.

Some guides I have:

Guide to Pern

Guide to Xanth

Yes these book series are terrible. I was twelve, don't judge.

Sadly, I've found sci-fi and fantasy that are considered seminal works in those genres don't typically impress me much. My usual feelings toward them are "great ideas, poor execution". I'm not saying this to be hipster or be different from the crowd, only that sometimes great and thought provoking ideas just aren't enough.
My sentiments exactly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I read Xanth when I was about that age too. I really don't want to go back and reread it to find out how bad it is.
Anthony has chops (the Incarnations series is vastly better) but holy hell the puns. He's also pretty damn consistently and bizarrely sexist, so not much progress there.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I read the series because of the puns. I like puns. >> Also, after a certain point he writes the books entirely to house puns sent in by fans.

Redwall was the first book I read all of in one day. I was ten I think. I had read plenty of other books of course, but this was the first to really draw me in.

dralla

A friend of mine wants to know if I want to go to Wrestlemania. I don't know shit about wrestling anymore, but it's wrestlemania, I dunno!

ZeroRay

A friend of mine wants to know if I want to go to Wrestlemania. I don't know shit about wrestling anymore, but it's wrestlemania, I dunno!

Give me the ticket, I'll go.

Seriously though, you'll have a good time. Your friend can fill you in on what's going on on the way there.

LuffyZoro

Anthony has chops (the Incarnations series is vastly better) but holy hell the puns. He's also pretty damn consistently and bizarrely sexist, so not much progress there.

The puns were my favorite part x_x

I think I was also reading Discworld and Hitchhiker's Guide around that time.

dralla

I finished ODST for the first time. I have to say, I was so excited when I heard Mal, Jayne, Wash, Drake..but man, they seriously disappointed. Don't know if it was the bad script or what, but ehhh it wasn't good, aside from the few Firefly references.

270 for WM tickets, got damn

dralla

I guess I should say, ODST was interesting. I liked the new design, the hub world was the best part honestly, the firefights were intense and the level design was great. The 'missions' weren't nearly as good. The reason Halo CE is still the best is because the combat just feels so much better than all the other Halo games, the weapons feel weak in comparison, same for ODST. The level design in this one is just..boring [in the missions], and the brutes...while much more fun to fight in this, are still not as fun as the elites. Story and writing were just bad, like I said before, really disappointed with this because I love all the voice actors. It was all just so..typical. I'd like to see Buck get his own side story/game though.

Music was great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utg1wmeToNc

Overall it was enjoyable, glad it was on the short side because the level design of the later missions was quite boring. Not sure where I'd rank it, behind CE and Reach, ahead of 2..don't really remember 3 all that much honestly, which probably says a lot.

I really enjoyed ODST. More than CE, in fact. CE's greatest moments were better than ODST's, but I really hated the flood bits and the repeated levels at the end of CE.

leadbelly

Banned
Oh great! I've had a call from my uncle. He's coming over later on. I need to mentally prepare myself. lol

I've mentioned him before. This is the person who will switch the conversation into something of a political nature, and won't stop speaking about it for hours. It's a completely one sided conversation where his view is correct and everyone else's view is simply wrong. Basically a conversation where you just sit there nodding pretending to agree with him. :/

He's a nice guy, I just hate it when he goes on one of his rants. I hope it doesn't happen.

Emitan

I really enjoyed ODST. More than CE, in fact. CE's greatest moments were better than ODST's, but I really hated the flood bits and the repeated levels at the end of CE.

Friend and I beat ODST on the day it came out in one sitting. We stumbled out of my dorm room at around 11 pm and realized we didn't do any of the stuff we were supposed to that day. But who cares, it's halo!

Top Bottom